03/29/07 01:31 PM
03/29/07 01:31 PM
North Riverside IL & Lowell IN
GTXKen Offline OP
super gas
GTXKen  Offline OP
super gas

North Riverside IL & Lowell IN
Someone was looking for some tips the other day and I can't find the post so here’s my reply...

(based on my 70 GTX )

Before you start:
Get a tube of Urethane window sealant
An old or new bicycle inner tube
Cheapo single paper hole punch
Electrical tape – wider is better

Side glass:
- Install quarter glass seals first - they fit very tight, soap them up well before you start and re-apply soap often.
- Cut a strip of inner tube 1" wide and about 12" long - this is the seal between the glass and the stainless along the back edge of the glass
Use the urethane and run a bead on the edge of the glass and in the stainless channel. Lay the strip of inner tube on the glass and press the channel onto the glass, let it dry until the next day
- if you are replacing the plastic/felt guide that goes into the vent window make sure you trim it about a quarter inch lower than the top edge of the glass or it will have problems going into the rubber grommet at the top of the vent window
- use a single hole punch (like for paper)to punch holes in the plastic/felt guide
- slide the side glass into the vent window frame
- make sure that the guide pin that comes through the bottom of the door is in place (it’s a [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] to get in afterwards)
-make a gasket out of the inner tube for the bracket that holds the glass and attach that bracket before you put the glass in the door
-protect your paint, run a couple strips of tape along the edge of the door at the window
- install the alen bolt and the block of metal it threads into before putting the glass in the door
-the glass goes in before the regulator, have help guiding it in, it will take a twisting maneuver to get it all in place
-the driver and passenger side regulators are different the adjustment screws should be visible through an access hole

Quarter glass:
-you can have the regulator and the glass frame contraption assembled as one piece
-make sure the guide wheels are in the correct slots
-protect your paint, run a couple strips of tape along the edge of the door at the window
-guide twist and swear as you put the unit in
-the big square bracket with the long channel attached is next-unbolt the channel from the bracket-install bracket
-mount the guide wheels onto the long channel first, as you guide it into the qtr panel from above slip the guide wheel into the proper slot – check the manual
-you should have two channels left, the bigger one goes first, slip the guide wheel in the channel and reach into the door holding the channel and guide wheel, slit the other into the assembly channel and then turn it so that the mounting/adjusting screws come through the inner qtr panel – this can go in the wrong way – make sure it us flush with the inside of the panel, if not flip the bracket over
-the last channel is a snap, your on your own
-the glass is simple to install, use more inner tube to make washers for both sides of the glass, the hole punch helps too

Have a blast, I did
GTXKen

Re: Glass installation tips for you [Re: GTXKen] #1817030
05/02/15 01:15 PM
05/02/15 01:15 PM
Spokane,WA
G
Genuinejed Offline
super stock
Genuinejed  Offline
super stock
G

Spokane,WA
This looks like an old post, but I found it today and thought it was pretty useful. Thanks!

1968 Plymouth road runner 1968 Dodge Coronet 500 64 D200 Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.