Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Ron Silva] #335912
06/07/09 08:34 AM
06/07/09 08:34 AM
closer to Canadian beer!
torkrules Offline
I'm neurotic
torkrules  Offline
I'm neurotic

closer to Canadian beer!
Quote:

Some of you may know I bought a new 09 SRT8 Every Option 6 Speed Challenger. I saved my money from the very day I saw the first concept at MATS several years ago and then I paid cash for that car. Anyhow, that car was BITCHEN. It ruled the freeway and I loved the Navigation and the sunroof and I loved the sound going through the gears etc...

BUT: It had extremely bad wheel hop and it also TOTALLY let me down at the track. Basically it was a dog. I have talked to a couple people that are "in the know" and they told me those cars are "all over the place". Performance wise. Needless to say I could not get a good start because of the wheel hop issue, but regardless, it only would run 101 MPH at Fontana. And, that was with the air filter out. At Irwindale it picked up 2 MPH in the 1/8th removing the filter. So I suspect at Fontana, totally stock with the filter in it might have only run 99MPH?? SHEESH! Sure it probably would pick up a couple MPH if I could get a better launch, but it is NEVER going to be 108MPH where it should be or even close. Me and Sloan talked about it in depth and he even asked the Guys over at Westech for me and no one could offer a solution. You can't just take it to the dealer and say "it only ran 101 in the quarter with the air filter removed. Something's wrong".

Needless to say, I SOLD the car after 4 months and 5700 miles of driving it every day. Lost $9500. I could not deal with it, so it had to go.......

Here is the BIGGEST [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] I have. I want to get another one. But I have no way of figuring out how to make sure I get a good one. Buy a used one that you know a Guy had been racing it? Do you think a dealer would guarantee the car's performance?

I bought on of the first Dakota 5.9 R/Ts in 98. I was seeing all kinds of TV articles and magazine articles showing them burning off the tires, etc.

I could barely get mine to chirp the tires. I took it to the track and it ran 16.2 in the quarter. Mine was an extended cab. There was another regular cab version and he was running 15.3. I didn't think they should be that much different.

I took it back and told them it had "driveability" issues so they re-flashed the computer. It seemed to run a bit stronger after that. I also ditched the air box, put in colder plugs and cooler stat. That got it down to 15.5. I think this difference thing between cars is real, not sure why though. I remember Ford having this problem with the Mustangs not making the advertised horsepower.

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Ron Silva] #335913
08/07/09 06:59 AM
08/07/09 06:59 AM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Some of you may know I bought a new 09 SRT8 Every Option 6 Speed Challenger. I saved my money from the very day I saw the first concept at MATS several years ago and then I paid cash for that car. Anyhow, that car was BITCHEN. It ruled the freeway and I loved the Navigation and the sunroof and I loved the sound going through the gears etc...

BUT: It had extremely bad wheel hop and it also TOTALLY let me down at the track. Basically it was a dog. I have talked to a couple people that are "in the know" and they told me those cars are "all over the place". Performance wise. Needless to say I could not get a good start because of the wheel hop issue, but regardless, it only would run 101 MPH at Fontana. And, that was with the air filter out. At Irwindale it picked up 2 MPH in the 1/8th removing the filter. So I suspect at Fontana, totally stock with the filter in it might have only run 99MPH?? SHEESH! Sure it probably would pick up a couple MPH if I could get a better launch, but it is NEVER going to be 108MPH where it should be or even close. Me and Sloan talked about it in depth and he even asked the Guys over at Westech for me and no one could offer a solution. You can't just take it to the dealer and say "it only ran 101 in the quarter with the air filter removed. Something's wrong".

Needless to say, I SOLD the car after 4 months and 5700 miles of driving it every day. Lost $9500. I could not deal with it, so it had to go.......

Here is the BIGGEST [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] I have. I want to get another one. But I have no way of figuring out how to make sure I get a good one. Buy a used one that you know a Guy had been racing it? Do you think a dealer would guarantee the car's performance?

Hey Ron Found this on another site SRT Engineer response. Hope this helps. Matt
Quote: Originally Posted by Bonez
Thanks for being here for us!

I have heard of several '09 Challenger SRT's using excessive amounts of oil early on after taking delivery.(less than 3000 miles) Mine, for example, used about 1 1/2 quarts for the first 1100 miles. Is this something that will correct itself with a few more miles on the clock? And, also several owners have expressed concern about a blue puff of smoke from the exhaust upon startup of an already warmed up engine. Is this a problem, could you explain both answers please?

Thank you again!

New engines take some time for the piston rings (sometimes seals as well) to break in. As ring tensions have reduced and bore finishes have improved (read smoother) the rings will take longer to seal to the mating surface. In some rare cases, if an engine is run very hard right out of the chute you will get some glazing between the bores and rings which will cause an even longer (or potentially never) break in period. Normal conditions will break in and seal up well within several thousand miles. Make a few hard runs with the car after break in will ususally accelerate the sealing. Some light smoke from the exhaust on start ups (usually cold or warm after sitting for a time) is not an issue. If the smoke is heavy or continuous during driving there may be a mechanical problem, take it to the dealer.
KC

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: MattW] #335914
08/07/09 08:54 AM
08/07/09 08:54 AM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
Thanks Matt.

Did you notice that devilbrad never posted his times like he promised.

Probaby did not run worth a darn, like mine. I hope I am wrong

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Ron Silva] #335915
08/07/09 09:02 AM
08/07/09 09:02 AM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Yes, I am hoping that it is just the rings seating as stated. On another note I hope you keep us informed of your new mill. I personally will be checking your post. Always informative. Matt
P.S. Do you ever sleep? LOL Its what? 5:00 am there or something like that.

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: MattW] #335916
08/07/09 09:18 AM
08/07/09 09:18 AM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
I work 2 Graveyard Shifts each week.

I (or Ryan) will do a post on My new motor once I get all the major parts here. I kind of wanted to post some pics along with all the info. All the specs are finalized except the rods (source and material). I did tell Ryan "lets have some fun with this". And, I think we both are. He is free to say what he wants too.

I will definately be going to a bigger tire with the new Motor. Probably 30" tall and 11" tread (10X28 now). The car is set up for a bigger tire and will need to be geared taller.

5402575-CHALLENGER1.jpg (71 downloads)

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Ron Silva] #335917
08/07/09 10:41 AM
08/07/09 10:41 AM
SB
D
Duster426 Offline
Duster426  Offline
D

SB
Less Ego, more Patience. Most cars I have had I had to go thru and massage (usually small stuff) before I could get the results I was after. Driving techniques vary depending on the car. GOOD LUCK.

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Ron Silva] #335918
08/07/09 11:15 AM
08/07/09 11:15 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

I (or Ryan) will do a post on My new motor once I get all the major parts here. I kind of wanted to post some pics along with all the info. All the specs are finalized except the rods (source and material). I did tell Ryan "lets have some fun with this". And, I think we both are. He is free to say what he wants too.

either of you guys consider the Howards "ultimate duty" forged billet rods? forged and machined in the USA,
weight seems pretty decent, cost pretty reasonable, too. would be interesting to get some 3rd party feedback on these...

http://www.competitionproducts.com/products.asp?dept=1793
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Depar...V8/?Ns=Rank|Asc

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: patrick] #335919
08/07/09 11:32 AM
08/07/09 11:32 AM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

either of you guys consider the Howards "ultimate duty" forged billet rods? forged and machined in the USA,
weight seems pretty decent, cost pretty reasonable, too. would be interesting to get some 3rd party feedback on these...

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: patrick] #335920
08/07/09 07:32 PM
08/07/09 07:32 PM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
Quote:

Quote:

http://www.competitionproducts.com/products.asp?dept=1793
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Depar...V8/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Those are nice Rods. I have always liked the looks of them. But the 6.300 long rod is 670 grams. I am afraid we could not balance the motor I am building with that rod. So here are some things to think about.

I am using a SB chevy Small Journal (2.0) Rod to save weight. The rod is 6.300 long. Also we are right at the limit on what stroke and rod length that will work. We actually cannot even use a shorter rod because at BDC the piston will be pulled out the bottom of the cylinder and also the possibility of it hitting the Crankshaft counterweights.
We also literally had to go to a SMALLER wrist pin (.866 diameter) just to get the necessary long rod to fit without placing the wristpin all the way up "through" the oil ring on the piston.

So it's pretty much a high end custom Rod for this build. It will be a full on custom steel (300M) tapered H beam Lentz or Carrilo NASCAR type lightweight rod with 3/8" CARR bolts or a Titanuim Rod.

Actually, the rods are the only part we have not got a solid order on yet. Because Titanuim is our first choice. If we get what we want that rod at that size will be around 420 grams (I think).

If we have to go with a steel Rod I am thinking they will weigh around 525 grams.

I also think Ryan is going out of his way to help me and do this Motor the way that I want. He has been very gracious and he is hand selecting the R-Block to be able to get the bore we want. I probably should not say that because I am sure he is not always in a position to do that. We are very lucky that the R-3 Blocks have good availability right now.

I think the only way to build a bigger engine than what we are doing would be to sleeve the block with extra long sleeves that stick out on the bottom of the cylinder. I have seen that done in other engine makes. Of course at that point you would "have to" have the lightweight parts because you would have to cut the crank counterwights down smaller and the crank would not balance. I am using lightweight parts to get rid of static weight and because I LOVE a quick revving motor. My Demon motor was not quite this extreme but to sit in the driver seat and rev that motor was a lot of fun.

I saved my money for a while to be able to do this and I do not want to cut any corners. I told Ryan that I do not have to have this motor. So if I ran out of money it will just get put on hold until I get more. It can just stop and sit until I can afford to move forward. So far I think I will have enough. But I have not seen the final bill

5403395-MVC-002F.JPG (73 downloads)

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. So [Re: Ron Silva] #335921
08/07/09 08:16 PM
08/07/09 08:16 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
So are you going with the Callies 4.25 crank with the full Nascar lighting program? any offset stoking Matt

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Ron Silva] #335922
08/07/09 08:28 PM
08/07/09 08:28 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Don't feel bad--- I ordered one of the S/S cars the day Mopar started accepting orders for ANY Challenger. Even sold my '68 HemiDart to fund the purchase. When I found out I had to go through the application process (instead of the dealer calling me & telling me this) I went to THREE dealerships before I culd even get the order accepted. When the order was taken I called Mopar Performance and was told: " If you ordered one, you'll get one". I then waited patiently for "The Call", never received it, called & left messages at the dealer and NEVER heard another thing either from the dealer OR Mopar Performance.
Now I understand I'm no "big name" racer & quite honestly the purchase would've been a big bite out of the household budget, but I was willing, went through the appropriate steps & not even a call from ANYONE related to the car or purchase. Needless to say I'm less than pleased with MaMopar as a business, but I still love their stuff

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: hemicop] #335923
08/07/09 10:32 PM
08/07/09 10:32 PM
Mesa, AZ
B
Bill_T Offline
mopar
Bill_T  Offline
mopar
B

Mesa, AZ
I realize the original topic of this thread has kind of run its course, but still, I found this discussion and noticed some startling similarities....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28448

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Bill_T] #335924
08/08/09 12:20 AM
08/08/09 12:20 AM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
Good Lord! I was getting uptight just reading that Camaro thread. Bottom line, I did not trust the dealer to help me. Every time I go over there they try to get out of working on my vehicle for whatever reason or blame the defect on me Etc Etc.
I should have raced that Guy with my challenger! At least I could have beat HIM! LOL.

Matt, I considered using that calles crank. But the most they can go on that forging is 4.250 , if my budget was a little tighter I would have gone that way. But I decided to stretch and go with a Bryant Billet Crank.

It's funny the crank is being made 25 miles from me and then will be shipped back east to Ryan. He gets to see it and play with it before me Maybe I will go visit it before they ship it! LOL. NOT!

Last edited by dragrcr97; 08/08/09 12:20 AM.

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Bill_T] #335925
08/08/09 12:34 AM
08/08/09 12:34 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
I bought a new WS6 T/A in '01. It is still considered the most badass one in town back then. That is for a stock longblock, stock tire car. That thing was sweet all around. However, you wouldn't have thought that when I first got it.

I tinkered with pretty much EVERYTHING you could on those cars w/o opening up the driveline. I'm not gona waste anybody's time with small details but I will say there is a lot of things to try on a late model car.

The most glaring was the MAF. Changing to whatever was the hot deal back then was worth THREE and a half tenths. You read that right, .35 in one simply bolt on. I did back to back to back tests at the track and it was legit. There were other things I did that were worth like a tenth.

You have lots of places on a car that tolerances can be off a tick and it make noticable difference in the output.

I mean, you are talking like it was burning oil. The LS1 had a bad design PCV system that let oil spray right into the intake stream. Really damn stupid and I had to rerig the whole deal to get the timing retard out of it. So I'm sure the new Dodge stuff has similar programming that may have been holding your car back.

Maybe some small changes in the rear suspension could have cured the wheel hop.

I still don't get why you ditched a car that you claim to have been perfectly happy with when using it as you intended. You had a race car and were THAT concerned that your loaded, bloated daily driver ran slow? How do you know what that air cleaner removal was worth? If anything, you threw the PCM a curve by running it w/o it all the sudden.

Did you try different tire pressures? Launches? Etc? I out close to 200 passes on my TA in ONE summer. I spent lots of time at TNTs where all I did was test the air pressure and other small changes. I learned a ton about my car by doing that, how to launch, how not to, and as a result I finished in the money at the track something like 8 straight weeks before a new job kept me away from the track.

I want my fair share
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: SomeCarGuy] #335926
08/08/09 01:01 AM
08/08/09 01:01 AM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
I stated in the original post at the beginning of this thread that removing the air filter was worth +2 MPH in the 1/8th. I tried it because OTHERS had posted with similar results. So, yes I tried it with and without and I could care less about how the car launched. I was going by MPH and nothing else. The launch would not bias the MPH much unless you did something totally outlandish. The launch WILL affect the ET though and you might have noticed I NEVER posted an ET.

Of course the wheelhop issue was an issue in other ways not related to the track performance. I HATED the fact that I could not lay down a killer burnout whevever I wanted. Even though I had enough power and a BITCHEN car that should do it. Oh, it would do them. About 1/3 of the time. But the rest of the time you looked like a Donkey.

I can't believe I am here explaining this and defending this all over again. I was just thinking a few minutes before seeing this latest post how I do NOT miss that car much if at all. And the MAIN reason is because I lost the "hots" for it.

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Ron Silva] #335927
08/08/09 01:42 AM
08/08/09 01:42 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't

Anyhow, that car was BITCHEN. It ruled the freeway and I loved the Navigation and the sunroof and I loved the sound going through the gears etc...

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Ron Silva] #335928
08/08/09 02:42 AM
08/08/09 02:42 AM
Western Michigan
68Fastback Offline
master
68Fastback  Offline
master

Western Michigan
Quote:

. I was just thinking a few minutes before seeing this latest post how I do NOT miss that car much if at all. And the MAIN reason is because I lost the "hots" for it.

Ron do you miss the Demon and you should start a post once Ryan gets the parts going, miss his posts on heads and pictures. so between the engineer and engine builder we could learn some stuff.

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: 68Fastback] #335929
08/08/09 10:57 AM
08/08/09 10:57 AM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
Yes I miss the Demon sometimes. But the Valiant is a better car in many ways. And I guess I do miss the Challenger a little (how could not?) but I am GLAD I sold it and I have no regrets. I know I might sound wishy washy about the challenger. But I did say I would like to get another one someday and I might if I could afford it at time. But I am afraid to get another dog. AND, I seriously considered getting a Camaro (OMG!), but after reading that thread I am not so sure. I have ALLWAYS liked late modle performance. I had an 01 Camaro SS automatic and it ran 13.44 @ 104+ completely showroom stock at Pomona. THAT car ran what is should. But I ended up selling it and investing the money.

Iggy (the guy I sold the Demon to) keeps in touch with me. The engine finally barfed a Lifter since he did not keep an eye on the valvetrain. So DAVE DUDEK was rebuilding/fixing the engine last time I heard. I talked to Dave a couple times because he had some questions.

I will 100% do an engine thread on my 501 if Ryan does not do it. I will take lots of pics and so on. Please be patient because there is going to be a long wait for some of the parts. I did push him to order the crank right away because they usually take 12+ weeks. It "is ordered" and they said they are not too busy so they gave us a time of 8-9 weeks. But then it is a WEEK UPS Ground to get to Ryan and before the first possible pics could be posted.

Thanks, Ron.

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Ron Silva] #335930
08/09/09 04:14 PM
08/09/09 04:14 PM
N of Detroit
DaveDudek Offline
top fuel
DaveDudek  Offline
top fuel

N of Detroit
Quote:

Yes I miss the Demon sometimes. But the Valiant is a better car in many ways. And I guess I do miss the Challenger a little (how could not?) but I am GLAD I sold it and I have no regrets. I know I might sound wishy washy about the challenger. But I did say I would like to get another one someday and I might if I could afford it at time. But I am afraid to get another dog. AND, I seriously considered getting a Camaro (OMG!), but after reading that thread I am not so sure. I have ALLWAYS liked late modle performance. I had an 01 Camaro SS automatic and it ran 13.44 @ 104+ completely showroom stock at Pomona. THAT car ran what is should. But I ended up selling it and investing the money.

Iggy (the guy I sold the Demon to) keeps in touch with me. The engine finally barfed a Lifter since he did not keep an eye on the valvetrain. So DAVE DUDEK was rebuilding/fixing the engine last time I heard. I talked to Dave a couple times because he had some questions.

I will 100% do an engine thread on my 501 if Ryan does not do it. I will take lots of pics and so on. Please be patient because there is going to be a long wait for some of the parts. I did push him to order the crank right away because they usually take 12+ weeks. It "is ordered" and they said they are not too busy so they gave us a time of 8-9 weeks. But then it is a WEEK UPS Ground to get to Ryan and before the first possible pics could be posted.

Thanks, Ron.

Hey Ron, Iggy just picked her up at the Nats this weekend.

Dave Dudek
1st Factory Stock legal car in the 10`s!!! [/b]
FAST & Factory Stock Rules: www.fastraces.org

FAST 69 Hemi RR 9.98@139
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: DaveDudek] #335931
08/09/09 04:47 PM
08/09/09 04:47 PM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, Ron.

Hey Ron, Iggy just picked her up at the Nats this weekend.

DANG Dave, that engine looks AWESOME!! Those pics brought back some serious memories. That thing took me 9 months to build. It looks exactly the same except I think the paint on the block is a lot better I bet you had fun working on it and I hope it was up to your standards. I also bet IGGY is happy to have it back so he can put it back in the Demon.

Thanks so much. I will save these pics for sure.

Ron.

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9