Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Ron, enjoyable post, and as always written excellently.

I admire your knowledge and honest input on this board...and like looking at your cars

Btw, off subject a little

Few years back i was running a Pontiac dealership. We got our first GTO off the truck and myself and one of my salesmen decided to flog it after it got done being prepped.
I drove it outside town, turned around, and put it to the matt. It was a complete pooch and i thought the service dept had yanked the motor out of it during prep

Anyhow, my sales guy says"hey dummy, do you have the traction control on"?

I did and it really woke up

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: ZIPPY] #335893
06/04/09 06:21 PM
06/04/09 06:21 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

The programming "sucks" because Chrysler doesn't want the car coming in on a rollback, owner complaining he broke the differential "driving normally" instead of sidestepping it at 7 grand...on slicks at the track.

But potential warranty claims really don't apply here since the OP's warranty was void the first time he raced it.... so he might as well have given it a "stock" tuneup at the same time. Race it once, presto...no more warranty!

SRT= STREET RACE TECHNOLOGY.... Correct?

So.. If you advertise street and race, why would the warranty be voided? Chrysler has obviously toned these down to avoid warranty issues, but I can't see advertising a "Street Race" car and not expecting anyone to race them..

This is exactly why Chrysler and GM...DON'T GET IT" and Ford does..

Chris..

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. So [Re: Mr.Yuck] #335894
06/04/09 06:42 PM
06/04/09 06:42 PM
SK,Canada
gregsrt Offline
top fuel
gregsrt  Offline
top fuel

SK,Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just to clarify, the car was not burning that much oil. It was needing to add a second quart when I changed the oil just before I sold it. At about 5500 miles. So that is one quart in 2750 miles. By todays standards that seems like a lot, but may in fact be normal for this motor. And it may have gotten better as it broke in some more.
I will bet that every one of your Guy's race motors burn that much oil in that many miles (if you should ever drive that many miles with a race motor) and it is not causing detonation. Or basically I do not believe one quart in 2750 miles is enough to cause detonation in this motor. I think that question as to the oil level got some of us off track.

Should burn 0=ZERO that new. I have had 2 5.7 HEMI trucks and they used NO oil. They did both make a knocking sound at idle though.....

Even my 95 5.2 rattles a ton at the track unless I mix 93 w/ 104. All it has is the mopar computer.

It's a valve train tick(not detonation like the 5.2 magnums all get), all 5.7's have it. I swapped a 6.1 cam, springs and pushrods into my 03 Ram and the tick disappeared with the pushrods.

On a side note does everyone with an SRT8 know that you have to press and HOLD the trac control button for 10 seconds or so, it will beep and that means the trac control is completely disengaged

An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. Thomas Jefferson
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. So [Re: gregsrt] #335895
06/04/09 09:08 PM
06/04/09 09:08 PM
Delmont, Pa.
S
SRT8Challenger Offline
enthusiast
SRT8Challenger  Offline
enthusiast
S

Delmont, Pa.
I think it is dis-engaged to a point,
But, not completely....
Ed

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: 440FISH] #335896
06/04/09 09:17 PM
06/04/09 09:17 PM
Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
P
PUNK Offline
top fuel
PUNK  Offline
top fuel
P

Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
Quote:

It is sad that some of you are questioning dragrcr97 ability to drive a car or his ability to work/diagnose one. If you have ever seen one of his cars in person and the workmanship that he put into them, you would be amazed. A few years ago I saw Ron’s Demon at Las Vagas and the workmanship in that car.

I second that.

10.53 @ 125mph. 1.37 60 foot. Caltracs and Monoleafs, AFCO shocks.

Heads by INDIO MOTOR MACHINE; IMM.
CP Pistons, PC Carbs.
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. So [Re: DaKuda] #335897
06/04/09 10:17 PM
06/04/09 10:17 PM
toledo, ohio
plasticfantastic Offline
top fuel
plasticfantastic  Offline
top fuel

toledo, ohio
[quote
Whats so FUNNY about you is you have no idea who I am. You are the type that sits on the couch and gets all tingley inside when you see a chrysler commercial talking about the "lifetime warranty". Who is going to warranty them if they are not here??? They have made some of the worst looking vehicles in the last few years I have ever seen. If it wasnt for the RAM I think they would be gone. I have ran and have in my shop now more TRUE Mopar racecars and street cars than you can even name. Its people like you that make the "NEW" Chrysler think its OK to make all these UGLY cars. Case in point, that stupid looking Aspen you named. Tell you what Bleedy, is it OK with you if I go today and buy me an '09 Stratus?? What do you think about when I pop the hood and the top of the engine says "Mitschubischi"??? I am more TRUE Mopar than you will ever be......you have no IDEA.

funny thing is, that I really dont give a crap who you are or what you have in your garage... you dont know me either, and you can type your assumptions on here, (btw, they dont offer lifetime warranties on the CTD or SRT line up, so i'm not all giddy inside over it, any other assumptions?)

But, youre the typical need a pat on the back for being someone "big" and "important"... the really funny thing is that I know exactly what you are without knowing you. go figure. Sure I probably would like what you have in your garage, and I would appreciate it, but does that make me think youre more important, or more into this "hobby" then I am? well if you want to think that, then go ahead, I'll let you be more important then me... youre welcome.

Like i said all along, buy what you want, its your money, I dont care if you buy a stratus, or crossfire, or whatever makes your big important ego feel good. I dont care if you dont like the new aspen, or durango or the last few years of cars, i just think its funny you call yourself a TRUE mopar guy... cant handle my opinion? ok, you need to get over it like how you need to get over the fact that the charger is a 4 door.

moving on, I'm done with you.

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. So [Re: plasticfantastic] #335898
06/04/09 11:07 PM
06/04/09 11:07 PM
Down South
DaKuda Offline
super stock
DaKuda  Offline
super stock

Down South
Quote:

[quote
Whats so FUNNY about you is you have no idea who I am. You are the type that sits on the couch and gets all tingley inside when you see a chrysler commercial talking about the "lifetime warranty". Who is going to warranty them if they are not here??? They have made some of the worst looking vehicles in the last few years I have ever seen. If it wasnt for the RAM I think they would be gone. I have ran and have in my shop now more TRUE Mopar racecars and street cars than you can even name. Its people like you that make the "NEW" Chrysler think its OK to make all these UGLY cars. Case in point, that stupid looking Aspen you named. Tell you what Bleedy, is it OK with you if I go today and buy me an '09 Stratus?? What do you think about when I pop the hood and the top of the engine says "Mitschubischi"??? I am more TRUE Mopar than you will ever be......you have no IDEA.

funny thing is, that I really dont give a crap who you are or what you have in your garage... you dont know me either, and you can type your assumptions on here, (btw, they dont offer lifetime warranties on the CTD or SRT line up, so i'm not all giddy inside over it, any other assumptions?)

But, youre the typical need a pat on the back for being someone "big" and "important"... the really funny thing is that I know exactly what you are without knowing you. go figure. Sure I probably would like what you have in your garage, and I would appreciate it, but does that make me think youre more important, or more into this "hobby" then I am? well if you want to think that, then go ahead, I'll let you be more important then me... youre welcome.

Like i said all along, buy what you want, its your money, I dont care if you buy a stratus, or crossfire, or whatever makes your big important ego feel good. I dont care if you dont like the new aspen, or durango or the last few years of cars, i just think its funny you call yourself a TRUE mopar guy... cant handle my opinion? ok, you need to get over it like how you need to get over the fact that the charger is a 4 door.

moving on, I'm done with you.

I wont agrue with you like were in High School. You are obvisiously a "computer" car builder. We do the real thing here. MOPAR ONLY SHOP. You keep reading your 0-60 times in "Hotrod Magazine" and telling your buddies that four door car (CRAP) YOU bought is really a Charger....

Last edited by DaKuda; 06/04/09 11:09 PM.
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. So [Re: DaKuda] #335899
06/05/09 12:43 AM
06/05/09 12:43 AM
toledo, ohio
plasticfantastic Offline
top fuel
top fuel

toledo, ohio
[quote
I wont agrue with you like were in High School. You are obvisiously a "computer" car builder. We do the real thing here. MOPAR ONLY SHOP. You keep reading your 0-60 times in "Hotrod Magazine" and telling your buddies that four door car (CRAP) YOU bought is really a Charger....

yes it is obvious... ok.

MOPAR ONLY SHOP, but drive a Toyota... OK.

It's obvious that you can only make assumptions and say things to make yourself bigger, because you arent intelligent enough to just say something like...

thanks for letting me spend my money how i want, i'll let you spend your money how you want.
I may not like all the new stuff chrysler is putting out now, but you have every right to enjoy what you enjoy... i'll stick to my 70's and early stuff.

instead you do what you do, oh well, i have to go now and build my computer car and catch up on HotRod magazine...

maybe i can get your autograph sometime?

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. So [Re: plasticfantastic] #335900
06/05/09 07:43 AM
06/05/09 07:43 AM
Down South
DaKuda Offline
super stock
DaKuda  Offline
super stock

Down South
Quote:

[quote

yes it is obvious... ok.

MOPAR ONLY SHOP, but drive a Toyota... OK.

It's obvious that you can only make assumptions and say things to make yourself bigger, because you arent intelligent enough to just say something like...

thanks for letting me spend my money how i want, i'll let you spend your money how you want.
I may not like all the new stuff chrysler is putting out now, but you have every right to enjoy what you enjoy... i'll stick to my 70's and early stuff.

instead you do what you do, oh well, i have to go now and build my computer car and catch up on HotRod magazine...

maybe i can get your autograph sometime?

Autograph, Sure anytime. You can find me at most all the SS/AH events. I'll even let you sit in the Barracuda while I sign your Charger window sticker for ya.

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: 440FISH] #335901
06/05/09 09:16 AM
06/05/09 09:16 AM
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
speedfreak440 Offline
speedfreak440  Offline

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Quoted from 440fish- "It is sad that some of you are questioning dragrcr97 ability to drive a car or his ability to work/diagnose one. If you have ever seen one of his cars in person and the workmanship that he put into them, you would be amazed. A few years ago I saw Ron’s Demon at Las Vagas and the workmanship in that car. Talked to him for a few mins. about the car and was very impressed. I only know him from that few minute talk and the posts on this board. I still talk about that Demon to this day. I’m sure his valiant is just as nice.

Ron, Get a 70-71 Challenger and drop the new hemi drive train in that car. I bet you could get it to run fast enough..."

Exactly how much fine craftsmanship was put into this Challenger? People on here have every right to question his driving skills when he comes on here whining about losing 10k on a LEMON. Yet he apparently never had it on a dyno or hooked up to a computer to figure out the power problem, It could have been something VERY small as was previously stated. Remember, he came on here with the problem, we are simply trying to respond.

Now on to the suspension, wheel-hop is a fact of life for most modern performance cars, He just bought a 4200# car with ind. rear suspension. They take a certain technique to get them off the line cleanly & that takes more than one trip to the dragstrip as a seasoned vet should already know. Just talk to all the 03 Cobra, Vette & soon enough camaro guys, wheelhop takes practice & sometimes a few parts to get it under control at the strip. Drag Radials & subframe connectors did it for my 700rwhp Cobra with IRS.

Last edited by speedfreak440; 06/05/09 09:21 AM.
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. So [Re: DaKuda] #335902
06/05/09 10:33 AM
06/05/09 10:33 AM
toledo, ohio
plasticfantastic Offline
top fuel
top fuel

toledo, ohio
Quote:

Autograph, Sure anytime. You can find me at most all the SS/AH events. I'll even let you sit in the Barracuda while I sign your Charger window sticker for ya.

Find you in what section of the stands at most SS/AH events? (kidding)

Sit in that red barracuda with the ugly KOS hood? I'll pass, (not kidding).

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: PUNK] #335903
06/05/09 03:54 PM
06/05/09 03:54 PM
Western Michigan
68Fastback Offline
master
68Fastback  Offline
master

Western Michigan
Quote:

Quote:

It is sad that some of you are questioning dragrcr97 ability to drive a car or his ability to work/diagnose one. If you have ever seen one of his cars in person and the workmanship that he put into them, you would be amazed. A few years ago I saw Ron’s Demon at Las Vagas and the workmanship in that car.

I second that.

I will third this and it is amazing how fast people forget you had one of the quickest Mopar small block street cars in the country, heck I seen you drive up unload small table, chairs, cooler from the trunk then rip off 9's without lifting the hood.

5274572-Picture005.jpg (88 downloads)
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: 68Fastback] #335904
06/05/09 04:33 PM
06/05/09 04:33 PM
IN
Irun5snd8th Offline
master
Irun5snd8th  Offline
master

IN
You should probably think twice before bashing the computer controlled cars. Show me a "TRUE MOPAR" that ever went in the 12's bone stock at 4100 lbs. I have seen a 300C in person do just that and know there has been more than one Charger that has done the same task.
I think this is where this fella's dissapointment lies. The Challenger was advertised to be the bad boy on the block and the 300C that I witnessed outruns his Challenger by a full second???

AFCO, Rons Fuel Injection sponsored Dodge Challenger Mention Street Lethal Motorsports
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Mills] #335905
06/05/09 04:50 PM
06/05/09 04:50 PM
California, USA
B
blairboy3 Offline
top fuel
blairboy3  Offline
top fuel
B

California, USA
Quote:

I have a "few" mods in my car now, and it is a BLAST to drive. I could care less what it runs at the track as that was not the reason I bought the car. On the street, there is not much that will keep up...unless you start meeting some really serious iron. I'd say it's an easy low 12 @ ~118mph car in street trim....which when you figure a race weight of ~4500 lbs, is a bunch of HP at the wheels for a 370 ci motor. Show me a 4500# 383 powered car run those #'s....and then how streetable is it?

My 68 Fury 4-Door runs in the 12's.. would have been low 12's if I didn't run out of nitrous before I upped the jets. Very streetable, nitrous is a wonderful thing!

1968 Plymouth Fury III 4-Door: 12.79 @ 115, 60'- 1.93 (Hey... it's a Cruise ship... what do you expect?!) Famoso Raceway, 02/08
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Irun5snd8th] #335906
06/05/09 09:46 PM
06/05/09 09:46 PM
SK,Canada
gregsrt Offline
top fuel
gregsrt  Offline
top fuel

SK,Canada
Here's a question. How many miles are were on the car? If I recall from my days as a service adviser, these cars were slower until they reached a preset mileage break in point. No???

An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. Thomas Jefferson
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: gregsrt] #335907
06/06/09 09:44 AM
06/06/09 09:44 AM
Mopar Lane,Mississippi
67HEMI Offline
super stock
67HEMI  Offline
super stock

Mopar Lane,Mississippi
http://4lo.com/calc/dynocalc.htm cc According to the above HP calculator at 101 mph it was making 350 hp. At 108 mph it would make 428 hp. I used the weight of 4350 pounds.
To all the Ford fans, I worked at a Ford dealer for 15 years and they had the same problem with some cars and diesels having more power off of the showroom floors than others. They would also void your warranty if abuse caused two failures in a row,i.e. mustang gt transmissions. Oil consumption rate of less than a quart per 1,000 miles was considered normal.
You might look into buying a good used Viper instead of another new car. I bought an '06 with 14,000 miles on it, it has independent rear and does have wheel hop but it runs a tad faster than 108 mph in the quarter

'33 Plymouth 5 Window Coupe Blown Aluminum HEMI w/bolt ons (under construction) '69 Chrysler 300 Convertible 375 HP 440 '71 Plymouth Duster 360 W/EFI (Wife's Ride) '12 Ram MegaCab Dually 6.7 Cummins
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: 67HEMI] #335908
06/06/09 11:40 PM
06/06/09 11:40 PM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
devilbrad, be sure and give us that update on how your car ran, if you made it to the track tonight. Maybe I can buy it from you? LOL. I hope you got a good one!!!
Good luck, Ron.

Last edited by dragrcr97; 06/06/09 11:41 PM.

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Ron Silva] #335909
06/07/09 12:54 AM
06/07/09 12:54 AM
Weatherford, Texas
RapidusMaximus Offline
top fuel
RapidusMaximus  Offline
top fuel

Weatherford, Texas

1968 Plymouth GTX
1974 Dodge P/U Long Bed Stepside 318
2019 Ram 2500 6.4, auto, 4WD
Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: Ron Silva] #335910
06/07/09 01:17 AM
06/07/09 01:17 AM
Sask, Can.
72demon416 Offline
pro stock
72demon416  Offline
pro stock

Sask, Can.
Well I can't blame you for getting rid of your chally. I would have done the same. It was obviously down on quite a bit of power and I think it would be a long and frustrating battle to find where the problem lies. Regardless of what anybody may say I don't think there is a dealer around who would spend more than 5 minutes hearing you out before dismissing your plight & when it comes to warranty and dealing with/talking performance- they are polar opposites. Throwing money at the car to correct something that should never have been a problem is just pissing into the wind as well.
You bought the car expecting it to perform and it fell significantly short= unacceptable- End of story.
Hopefully the next one's on par.

Re: DODGE let me down........CHALLENGER. Kinda LONG. Sorry [Re: ZIPPY] #335911
06/07/09 01:23 AM
06/07/09 01:23 AM
Mi,U.S.A.
M
mike s Offline
top fuel
mike s  Offline
top fuel
M

Mi,U.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

All I'm saying is you would not believe the difference (on an auto anyway) with a before and after Diablo tune. Disable the torque managment completely with the Diablo, and you have the way the car should have left the factory...as an SRT...the reason wht people buy an SRT.

I would belive it because I've experienced it, and recommended a "stock" Diablo tune several posts ago.

The point I was trying to make is the torque management programming is probably done to reduce warranty costs, but I guess that point was totally lost somehow. At any rate it's easily defeated and the warranty just as easily voided so it's nothing to get too worked up about.

Hopefully nobody tied into Chrysler will see this thread

Hey Zippy I see it..lol

The problem is certainly in the torque management system.The engines make the numbers every day.

Leave the gun.......take the Cannoli's....Mike
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9