P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

This has been beat to death and we will probably never know for sure. The facts don't look good, though:

1) When the Dodge Boys came back they weren't able to dominate like they had before. In 1994-95 Alderman, Geoffrion, or both of them were in almost every final round. After the "break-in" they were also-rans.

2) Darrell Alderman was suspended for two years for cocaine use and was suspected of dealing as well. Would you put it past him to use NOS? Especially if he was trying to win more money to pay for nose candy?

3) Pretty much everyone in auto racing, and most other sports, is cheating. Steroids in almost every sport. The old NASCAR adage is "if you're not winning you're not cheating hard enough." Just look at how often NASCAR crew chiefs are fined and suspended. In the Mopar camp the AAR and TA teams cheated in 1970. Sam Posey readily admits the cars were acid dipped and the differential housings were made of magnesium and then spray painted to look like iron. I have Sam on video saying "we cheated from the nose of the car to the tail of the car." He also said they had to change cars one time when after passing inspection the tech inspector leaned up against the roof and it caved in.

As I always say, this would be a great world if there were no people and no money. Anytime big money is involved, people cheat.

My guess? Guilty.

First off, Darrell was a hired driver. He never laid a wrench on the cars. I'd like to know how he installed it.

Second off, he was never accused of dealing.

Third, he did and is still doing quite well with his family business. He certainly didn't need the money he earnded from racing to do anything.

Re: 1996 PRO STOCK NOS OR NOT?? #332618
05/30/09 04:10 PM
05/30/09 04:10 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

Quote:

It's funny, the only one actually caught was Jerry Eckman's Pontiac when it blew the oil pan off at Columbus and a bottle was found.

Firstoff Jerry Eckmans oilpan did'nt blow off...it had to do with his dry sump can and there was'nt a bottle,it was a different form of nitrous..As for the mopar car,sure it was never proven but i just find it interesting that AFTER nhra posted a warning stating it was going to start checking for nitrous,the mopar car NEVER won again matter of fact has'nt won the title since

Wrong. It was a small bottle. It exploded in the dry sump. The Mopar team happened to be pitted beside them, and Mike Cunningham on the team is the one that picked up the bottle off the ground, and gave it to NHRA.

They also spent hours cleaning off the side of their trailer from the oil.

I was there.

Re: 1996 PRO STOCK NOS OR NOT?? [Re: Prostock] #332619
05/30/09 05:09 PM
05/30/09 05:09 PM
Red Deer, Alberta
B
bill_greenwood Offline
top fuel
bill_greenwood  Offline
top fuel
B

Red Deer, Alberta
Definitely not a story worth pursuing for a definitive answer. On the other hand, there are some funny stories out there regarding the liberal interpretation of the rules that are worth sharing. For example, there was a S/S racer on the West Coast whose laughing gas addiction was exposed when a roll bar mounted "fire extinguisher" let go and blew out through the windshield of his SS/GT car while coming back up the return road. Now, having had a battery explode under the hood of my truck whilst driving it, and the "Holy ****! What was that?!?" (It was like a shotgun going off.) reaction, I giggle every time I think about a nitrous bottle going off inside a race car (underwear issues come to mind.). That's where this discussion needs to go. BTW, I also recall a West Coast SS/A car that didn't like to be parked near another one at a points meet, as it made it rather easy to spot (ahem) "firewall modifications".

Re: 1996 PRO STOCK NOS OR NOT?? [Re: bill_greenwood] #332620
05/30/09 06:54 PM
05/30/09 06:54 PM
las vegas
70AARcuda Offline
master
70AARcuda  Offline
master

las vegas
Quote:

Definitely not a story worth pursuing for a definitive answer. On the other hand, there are some funny stories out there regarding the liberal interpretation of the rules that are worth sharing. For example, there was a S/S racer on the West Coast whose laughing gas addiction was exposed when a roll bar mounted "fire extinguisher" let go and blew out through the windshield of his SS/GT car while coming back up the return road. Now, having had a battery explode under the hood of my truck whilst driving it, and the "Holy ****! What was that?!?" (It was like a shotgun going off.) reaction, I giggle every time I think about a nitrous bottle going off inside a race car (underwear issues come to mind.). That's where this discussion needs to go. BTW, I also recall a West Coast SS/A car that didn't like to be parked near another one at a points meet, as it made it rather easy to spot (ahem) "firewall modifications".

yup..it was a pontiac at bakersfields divisional race which was part of the fuel show back in the 80s,,, he is still racing today.

Tony

70 AARCuda Vitamin C
71 Dart Swinger 360 10.318 @ 128.22(10-04-14 Bakersfield)
71 Demon 360 10.666 @122.41 (01-29-17 @ Las Vegas)
71 Duster 408 (10.29 @ 127.86 3/16/19 Las Vegas)
Page 2 of 2 1 2