ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline OP
top fuel
volaredon  Offline OP
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
I remember the "camper special" Ford's and Dodges of the 70s that had the boxes built into the lower parts of the truck bed on the passenger side ahead of the r r wheel.
I'm redoing an 85 d150 and was wondering if there's a toolbox made that's similar in size to those, that could be adapted, I know I would have to cut a hole in the bedside to be used as the "door".
Thoughts,ideas on how to to make it happen?
What was the back of the box anchored to? I'm sure the bedside wasn't meant to be counted on to support the weight especially the weight of what was loaded further back in the box?

Re: Idea based on the Ram boxes of newer trucks [Re: volaredon] #3233227
05/16/24 09:24 PM
05/16/24 09:24 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
As I remember, that box in the bed side was called a "cargo door" or an "Avenger Door" because it was an option under the Avenger truck package.

I've only see a couple trucks with them still intact, but I saw a lot of trucks with holes where they used to be. Seems they must not have held up very well. I don't believe they were very deep, maybe 6" front to back. I believe they sat just below the bed floor, and any support past the bed side likely came from the bed floor.

If I was going to do something like this, my biggest concern is keeping the stuff in the box dry in wet weather (and winter salt). Every time the truck is in reverse, that area the box is in is subject to whatever the rear tire throws at it, and everything below what ever inner fender, all the way to the ground, is present is game to end up in, at, or on that box tucked inside of the bed's outer sheet metal.

With that in mind, I would want the box attached to the truck frame (like running boards used to be attached), with a splash guard starting behind it (from the bed floor), down the entire rear side (between the box and the inner fender) ahead of the rear tire, and extended the entire length of the bottom of the box. By theory, the box could extend from the bed side all the way to the frame rail, and from the front of the bed to the rear inner fender in front of the tire, but the reality is the box size will be limited by the weight it will be hauling. I suspect the reasons the failure rate was so high was because the box was often overloaded.

Years ago I when I built my 50 Dodge 4x4 (a 50 cab on a 77 1/2 ton Dodge 4x4) I added a box above the running board on the passenger side, but under the cab. It was 6" high, 24" long, and sat on the angle iron framework the held the running board. Even with it being protected on all sides from any water splash, the inside of that sealed steel box was always wet, and quite useless. In the picture you can see the door for the box. When I redid the truck a few years later, I removed the box.

50 Dodge 4x4 033.jpg
Re: Idea based on the Ram boxes of newer trucks [Re: volaredon] #3233645
05/19/24 06:38 AM
05/19/24 06:38 AM
Greenville, PA
redraptor Offline
master
redraptor  Offline
master

Greenville, PA
Originally Posted by volaredon

What was the back of the box anchored to? I'm sure the bedside wasn't meant to be counted on to support the weight especially the weight of what was loaded further back in the box?

To get a flush mount door I'm sure the bedside was stamped that way and the box had to be gusseted with spot welds above the opening. Maybe that option had thicker gage steel. shruggy

Re: Idea based on the Ram boxes of newer trucks [Re: redraptor] #3233936
05/20/24 01:11 PM
05/20/24 01:11 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline OP
top fuel
volaredon  Offline OP
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
Everything had thicker gauge steel back then. I think toilet paper is thicker than the sheet metal on my 12 Dodge 1/2 ton.