04/29/24 02:16 PM
Florida
BDW Offline
master
BDW  Offline
master

Florida
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
They're not referring to rating one house differently from another. They already do that. What they mean is that insurers are going to be allowed to choose which houses to insure and which ones to not insure. That's bad for consumers. Currently, if an insurer writes home insurance, they have to at least provide a quote for any property that meets their policy definitions.

That’s already happening, last 2 policies I’ve had required a home inspection, AFTER I had already paid the policy in full.
Went online and their reviews were terrible, many people complaining of paying the policy, then getting cancelled a couple of months later after the inspection.
They want to make sure the roof and water heater are below a certain age.
In my case they tried to get me to replace the hot water heater because it was 9yrs old, and 10 is a hard no.
But they “let me slide” because it’s in the garage.

Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: BDW] #3229987
04/29/24 02:36 PM
04/29/24 02:36 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

What I described is not already happening, at least not yet. I'm talking about simply refusing to offer coverage at all to whomever they don't want to, for no reason other than they don't want to. Unfortunately, I think that's how things will end up, at least in FL and CA. The home inspection thing is actually quite common in areas that are prone to hurricanes and/or earthquakes.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: not_a_charger] #3230013
04/29/24 03:53 PM
04/29/24 03:53 PM
PNW
B
Beebuzzn Offline
mopar
Beebuzzn  Offline
mopar
B

PNW
Just had talk with insurance agent as our rates have increased a little over 30% in last 2 years. Same insurance company for 38yrs, (house cars boat) zero claims or tickets. Agent blamed many things, but some reasons stuck out and pissed me off. In Seattle area over 25% of people driving don't have insurance, then there is a huge amount of property damage and theft being done from criminal activities and finally the increases in fraudulent claims. Now add health insurance and property taxes going the same direction, retirement might be shortly enjoyed........... Something is really screwed up.........

Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: Beebuzzn] #3230039
04/29/24 06:25 PM
04/29/24 06:25 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Uninsured drivers have always been a problem. Fraudulent claim frequency hasn't really increased, but the cost of those claims has increased along with the cost of every other claim that's filed. Damage/theft from criminal activities is a drop in the bucket for your home/auto insurance, especially home insurance. Auto, it's largely a nonstarter unless you own a high theft vehicle (Kia/Hundai without the immobilizer, Charger/Challenger are good examples).

Health insurance is a whole different bucket of bees.

DBAP
Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: TJP] #3230045
04/29/24 07:30 PM
04/29/24 07:30 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
They definitely spend too much on damn golf tournaments yuk I'm tired of paying for those

Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: volaredon] #3230051
04/29/24 07:43 PM
04/29/24 07:43 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

How much do they spend on golf tournaments?

DBAP
Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: not_a_charger] #3230104
04/29/24 11:42 PM
04/29/24 11:42 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
Im sure a lot of rate increase has to do with the increase costs of everything but I've been hearing more and more people the last few years talk about claiming every little thing especially for house issues. I don't know if it's people who are newer to owning homes or less knowledgable then before or what but it used to be that if your basement flooded, you had some wind damage, water damage from a roof leak or whatever unless it was an expensive repair you paid to fix it yourself. Now it seems like so many people are going straight to insurance or you see other people telling them to put it through insurance.

Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: not_a_charger] #3230106
04/29/24 11:53 PM
04/29/24 11:53 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
A major problem is people gaming the system for new roofs. “Hail damage.” I’ve watched the shady companies out on these new roofs. Some have to be reworked within months. From what I’ve been told, you can sign something and the roofer has a way to then sue the insurer for not covering the roof. Like they have a right to represent you and they have a lawyer well versed in this bs.

I know for a fact a next door neighbor went nuts in a roofer that said he would have to pay because the roof was just worn out. The guy was yelling about how it should be “hail damage” and he’d find somebody to get it done. In the end, the guy that got yelled at did the job and it was covered. Somehow. I’ve seen about 6 of these “hail damage” roofs go in on my street in the last two years. Somehow the hail missed my house??? But every one around me got it. Hmm.

I had my long time roofer out for a tune up, a legit outfit with a commercial division I’ve had on my job, and the lead guy said he won’t mess with people wanting him to scam a roof for them. This group isn’t the type that has call backs either.

I’ve come to view insurance as a lay away plan for new roofs. Somebody has to pay for all this nonsense. Like the guy that painted his brick house white and it looked bad because the roof was brown. He boasted to me one day that he was “lucky it had hail damage” so he got to switch it to black. Convenient, huh?

I want my fair share
Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3230123
04/30/24 06:19 AM
04/30/24 06:19 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
A major problem is people gaming the system for new roofs. “Hail damage.” I’ve watched the shady companies out on these new roofs. Some have to be reworked within months. From what I’ve been told, you can sign something and the roofer has a way to then sue the insurer for not covering the roof. Like they have a right to represent you and they have a lawyer well versed in this bs.

I know for a fact a next door neighbor went nuts in a roofer that said he would have to pay because the roof was just worn out. The guy was yelling about how it should be “hail damage” and he’d find somebody to get it done. In the end, the guy that got yelled at did the job and it was covered. Somehow. I’ve seen about 6 of these “hail damage” roofs go in on my street in the last two years. Somehow the hail missed my house??? But every one around me got it. Hmm.

I had my long time roofer out for a tune up, a legit outfit with a commercial division I’ve had on my job, and the lead guy said he won’t mess with people wanting him to scam a roof for them. This group isn’t the type that has call backs either.

I’ve come to view insurance as a lay away plan for new roofs. Somebody has to pay for all this nonsense. Like the guy that painted his brick house white and it looked bad because the roof was brown. He boasted to me one day that he was “lucky it had hail damage” so he got to switch it to black. Convenient, huh?

This happens all the time, and has for years.

DBAP
Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: not_a_charger] #3230132
04/30/24 08:31 AM
04/30/24 08:31 AM
MD
RTSE4ME Offline
top fuel
RTSE4ME  Offline
top fuel

MD

Yeah, I get calls after a strong storm wanting to inspect my roof.
My roof is old but in good shape and has the most expensive shingle type there is.
I don't want to know the cost of replacement.

Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: Hemi_Joel] #3230164
04/30/24 10:19 AM
04/30/24 10:19 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Originally Posted by Moparite
I have the same insurance company i had 30 years ago before all these "new" companies came out of the wood work. Back then there was no Flo, Emu or Jake. If it's regulated they have a awful lot of cash to throw at advertising instead to the people who need it. They should restrict the insurance companies from advertising like they did with Cigarettes!

Companies that are trying to grow, or even tread water, have to spend money on trying to bring in new clients. Usually that involves advertising and building their agent network. Apparently, some insurance companies find that TV advertising pays off, or they wouldn't do it. The self-insured organization that I am involved with writes premiums at an overall anticipated loss ratio of 50%. That means if everything plays out in accordance with the actuaries projections, 50% of premiums will be paid in claims expense. Approximately 30% goes to administrative expenses, marketing, and commissions, the rest goes to accumulating state required financial reserves, and surplus (profit ). Insurance companies operate on a very similar basis.

I don't know. I have everything with Farmers Alliance out of Kansas. Have had good service, reasonable rates (compared to American Family, my previous carrier) and I have never seen a Farmers Alliance commercial in any form of media. shruggy

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: 6PakBee] #3230183
04/30/24 11:08 AM
04/30/24 11:08 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

That's a small regional company with a niche market. They don't really need to advertise much because they are not focused on growth. I would suspect their local agents advertise though. Billboards, a sign at the high school football stadium, that kind of thing.

DBAP
Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: cudatom] #3230189
04/30/24 11:30 AM
04/30/24 11:30 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
"If you doubt the roof cost figures just stop. I traveled nationwide handling catastrophe claims for a long time (30 yr rep). I wrote my own roof estimate before I left and compared it to what was written. Everything was correct only the cost has changed.
The insurance companies actuarial scales can no longer keep up. Depending on where you live it isn't going to get better anytime soon."

i had the roof on the house and garage replaced several years back, before 2020, but i can't remember just how many years before.
at that time, the house was $7600.00 and the garage was around $6000.00.
today, it would be $30,000.00 or more !
beer

Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: moparx] #3230192
04/30/24 11:41 AM
04/30/24 11:41 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

I had a complete tearoff and re-roof done 2 summers ago. Including replacing 6 sheets of plywood, and installing gutter screens and heat cables on the lower level (split level house), it was $12k.

DBAP
Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: not_a_charger] #3230194
04/30/24 11:46 AM
04/30/24 11:46 AM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline OP
top fuel
second 70  Offline OP
top fuel
S

central il.
I had a complete tearoff and re-roof done 2 summers ago. Including replacing 6 sheets of plywood, and installing gutter screens and heat cables on the lower level (split level house), it was $12k.

I had 42 square complete tear off and replacement with architect shingles 4 years ago $11,000. Neighbor had his done a few weeks ago. Same company. His roof was only around 36sq. $17,000.

Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: second 70] #3230195
04/30/24 11:49 AM
04/30/24 11:49 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

I can't remember how many square mine was exactly. Likely somewhere between yours and his.

DBAP
Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: not_a_charger] #3230371
04/30/24 11:12 PM
04/30/24 11:12 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy

Then there's a few idiots like me that had 5-6 shingles blow off in a wind storm. Did i turn a claim in ? No, Did I when a tree fell and his the lower bldg. ? No,
Does that count? NO!! Did my insurance company care ? NO!!
on car insurance, how many accidents caused by cell usage go unreported? what is that cost ?
if they monitor your driving habits why not do the same for cell usage? whistling twocents
Someone mentioned Golf tournaments, I say exec salaries, bonEuses and other perks stirthepot

Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: TJP] #3230377
05/01/24 12:02 AM
05/01/24 12:02 AM
Kings Beach, CA
T
tahoechallenge Offline
enthusiast
tahoechallenge  Offline
enthusiast
T

Kings Beach, CA
What amazes me about the insurance market is how it seems to have no effect on home sales or prices. Where I live policies are constantly being canceled, forcing people into the fare plan. People gripe, but it seems to be just another cost.
A few years ago my home owners policy was canceled. I was looking at going from 2k a year to over 4k. My wife had a auto policy with USAA from a previous marriage. We were able to get a home owners policy with them for $1k! It has gone up some since then, but it is still under 2k. USAA is no longer writing policies in this area.

Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: TJP] #3230393
05/01/24 06:54 AM
05/01/24 06:54 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

if they monitor your driving habits why not do the same for cell usage?

They only monitor your driving habits if you're dumb enough to volunteer to put one of their devices in your car. You want them to monitor cell usage? Without permission? Just have the right to do so? Not me, but you can feel free to volunteer. panic

Like you, I had damage from a storm at my house. About $10k in damage back in 2016. I filed a claim. My roof had 1 damaged shingle, which I fixed myself. The independent appraiser and a roofing company both told me they could get my roof replaced, and I declined because I had no other roof damage. I've written appraisals on plenty of roof claims over the years, I know how the game is played, but I was not going to partake in that.

DBAP
Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: TJP] #3230400
05/01/24 07:37 AM
05/01/24 07:37 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by TJP

if they monitor your driving habits why not do the same for cell usage? whistling twocents

USAA has a program to lower your rates that uses an app on your phone and they monitor cell usage.

Not sure if it matters to them if it is hands free or not ether.

Not going that route for anyone.

One of the things is that I put most of my miles, 50k a year, on the work truck. Maybe 1000 miles a year on my POV. I sure don't want to pay USAA for the miles I put on the truck. Not sure how they know your a driver or a passenger either.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5