Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I want to first ask that we do not turn this into a political mess as there is a sperate forum for that. I felt it would get more exposure here as many do not visit the political forum and it is something we should all THINK ABOUT wink

Summit racing, Jeg's and Speedway Motors have ceased to do business with Speedmaster parts. WHY?
They were caught red handed copying a small American companies design going so far as to even put the companies name on the knockoff product.
As INFURIATED as I am at their audacity, As much as I want to further comment I will not as again I do not want to make it political.
the attached video explains how this bubbled up to the surface. it is somewhat long but the first 5 minutes are the most critical not only us but to our country as well.

Please think about this before buying cheaper parts and do not turn this into a political bashing thread but rather spend that time spreading the word. Doing so could be the beginning of "the shot heard around the world 🎯🍻

438790249_8041648949197901_8595417202783012103_n.jpg438790249_8041648949197901_8595417202783012103_n (1).jpg
Last edited by TJP; 04/19/24 03:59 PM.
Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: TJP] #3228116
04/19/24 04:01 PM
04/19/24 04:01 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

This will be in the unmoderated forum no later than tomorrow afternoon. And I'm probably being generous with that estimate.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: not_a_charger] #3228122
04/19/24 04:40 PM
04/19/24 04:40 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
Here again its a self created problem. Companies want to make more money, workers want to make more money and people want to pay as little as possible.

Everyone is up in arms over this but is it a hill to die on? No.

As much as I dislike seeing whats going on at the southern border I have also spent more then three years total doing volunteer work in Mexico and countries further south of that. Seeing the injustices ive seen and with us Americans having so much can you see how little this issue matters in the big scope of things? There are good people all over the world who to no fault of there own have no food. Is this fair? Is it on the same level as a copied part? No its not. But yet no one here seems to care about the hungry people of the world because it has no impact on there life here or in a personal way.

They steal or military technology, our personal data and we are dependent on many of the same for so much because we have been full of greed at every level.

We often get up in arms on issues that are personal to us or that have an impact on our lives but many need to step back and look at the bigger picture.

I dont think what has happened is a good thing by any means. Its 100% wrong. I would like to know if the guy who made the product that was stolen did the right things legally to protect his product or did he just put his name on it? If he skirted his responsibility as a businessman to do so I have a bit less sympathy for his situation.

Protecting a Product

If you invent a product that starts making money, there will naturally be people that will want to try to profit from your idea by copying your design. Therefore, after creating a product, protecting your design is of the utmost importance. Your design is what makes your product unique, and if you don't secure your design, it can result in severe consequences.

By protecting your design, you'll be ensuring that you will be the only person that will be able to profit from your product. Fortunately, there are several different methods you can use to protect a product design.

One potential method of securing a product design is to apply for a copyright, which is a type of intellectual property protection. The purpose of a copyright is to protect an artist's work, and you can apply for a copyright even if you never intend to publicly reveal your creation. Copyrights can protect virtually any type of artistic creation:

Books
Movies
Designs
Photographs

With a copyright, you can stop others from copying your work, whether it's a painting or a musical performance. It's important to remember that copyrights only protect the expression of a work, not the idea that inspired the work, which means copyrights only provide limited protections.

Most forms of intellectual property are automatically copyrighted, but you shouldn't assume that this fact means that your design will have protection. Even with a copyright in place, there are still ways that others can steal your idea. Also, if you don't formally apply for a copyright for your design, it will be nearly impossible to file a lawsuit after someone copies your idea.

Even though you will have some default protections, your work may not be fully secured, especially in regard to its design. For instance, if some part of your design isn't intrinsic to the final purpose of your product, this aspect of your design will not have protection under copyright.
Filing for a Design Patent

If you want to protect the design of a product, in addition to the product itself, the best idea is applying for a design patent. To be eligible for a design patent, your design should be:

New
Original
Ornamental

A patent is one of the strongest forms of intellectual property protections, and it can secure several forms of intellectual property, including how a product works, a manufacturing method, or concepts. The benefit of a patent when it comes to protecting a product is that the patent defends the underlying nature of the product, not just how it looks.

Before you will be granted a patent, you will need to fulfill several requirements. For example, your invention will be thoroughly examined by a patent inspector to make sure that it is patentable, and a patent search will also be performed to make sure your product does not conflict with a previously registered invention. You should also be aware that some types of inventions can't be patented.

If you've come up with a creative product design, you should absolutely apply for a design patent. Design patents can protect the design of a wide range of products, from cars to computers. Once your design patent application receives approval, you will have rights to your design for 14 years and will be able to stop other people from copying your design.
Trademark Protections

If you've branded your product with a symbol, word, or design, then you might also want to apply for a trademark. A trademark is used to identify a product's creator, and it can be an important part of marketing your product. In addition to standard trademarks, there is a type of trademark that is specifically used for the design of a product known as trade dress.

The purpose of trade dress is to indicate that you are the owner of a design and that your design cannot be copied by others without your permission. Like design patents, trade dress relates to the appearance of your product and not how it functions.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: not_a_charger] #3228123
04/19/24 04:45 PM
04/19/24 04:45 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
This will be in the unmoderated forum no later than tomorrow afternoon. And I'm probably being generous with that estimate.

thank you for not moving it immediately. I am hoping that we can be adults and spread the word rather than ranting about it wink beer

Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: TJP] #3228124
04/19/24 04:51 PM
04/19/24 04:51 PM
Addison Twp, Mi.
RobG Offline
top fuel
RobG  Offline
top fuel

Addison Twp, Mi.
Holy Crap! What nerve.

I am not rich...but I get off my ass everyday to make sure I am not broke!

Can we get the Mexican cartels to help us with our supply chain issues? They don't seem to have any trouble getting stuff from one place to another.
Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: RobG] #3228145
04/19/24 07:25 PM
04/19/24 07:25 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline

Good post. The video is worth a watch it's a good insight to companies that design and manufacture specific products. If nothing else it's a good warning to do some research before buying some of these products.
You wouldn't expect to get a knock off from a company like Summitt so good for them for stepping up.

Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: 5thAve] #3228152
04/19/24 08:06 PM
04/19/24 08:06 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
A guy I've known since '89 has made a lot of $$$ with his line of automotive tools.
A couple are copies of someone else's, most are improved versions, and a couple are his own ideas.
Most of it he has made in India, and some gauges he sources from China.
He quality-checks all of it, and there's a % of send-back - more on the Chinese stuff than the Indian.
Been that way since before I met him. He says having the stuff made in the US would render him un-competitive.
His market is at the lower-price end, as that's the volume needed.
Near as I can tell, his profit margin runs 50-100% depending on the item, and a number of places retail his stuff, including Summit & Jeg's.
He's an adept & clever businessman, and has also made a ton of money in commercial property.
He registers original things as opposed to patenting them, because he says patent attys are too expensive, the process takes too long, and if someone changes one thing they can knock his stuff off.
Registering things is more protective, he says.

I'm not endorsing or slamming, just providing info as told to me.

Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: TJP] #3228160
04/19/24 08:49 PM
04/19/24 08:49 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by TJP

thank you for not moving it immediately. I am hoping that we can be adults and spread the word rather than ranting about it wink beer

I'm certainly open to being pleasantly surprised.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: 5thAve] #3228175
04/19/24 10:00 PM
04/19/24 10:00 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 5thAve
Good post. The video is worth a watch it's a good insight to companies that design and manufacture specific products. If nothing else it's a good warning to do some research before buying some of these products.
You wouldn't expect to get a knock off from a company like Summitt so good for them for stepping up.

I encountered a similar experience year or two ago. I was looking for a mower blade sharpener as I have an acreage. I came across one that was interesting so checking AMZ there was what appeared to be the identical thing down to the part number for 110.00. Cool, I bought it. The designers website price was 195.00 and I thought he has dealers buying in bulk and are able to sell at a discount. Not unusual.
When it showed up it was not the quality I saw on the website. So I called him and he said yes it's being knocked off and I can't afford to fight them frown
I placed an order with him right then and sent the other one back for poor quality. I checked AMZ again today and the cheapest version was 43.00 with many others in the 60-75.00 range.
I have also become aware that one has to be VERY attentive to details in the ads as they are getting as bold in misrepresenting the item with their verbiage as they are with copying the designs.
Thanks to all for keeping this topic "clean" so it doesn't get moved where it will benefit them by becoming much less visible. I would also like to ask that you share to as many forums and social media sites as possible.
thank you all again up beer

Last edited by TJP; 04/19/24 10:08 PM.
Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: not_a_charger] #3228176
04/19/24 10:05 PM
04/19/24 10:05 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by TJP

👏👏👏👏 We're not to tomorrow yet but I really hope it is still here up beer

Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: TJP] #3228320
04/20/24 06:14 PM
04/20/24 06:14 PM
5thAve Offline
5thAve  Offline

Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by 5thAve

I encountered a similar experience year or two ago. I was looking for a mower blade sharpener as I have an acreage. I came across one that was interesting so checking AMZ there was what appeared to be the identical thing down to the part number for 110.00. Cool, I bought it. The designers website price was 195.00 and I thought he has dealers buying in bulk and are able to sell at a discount. Not unusual.
When it showed up it was not the quality I saw on the website. So I called him and he said yes it's being knocked off and I can't afford to fight them frown
I placed an order with him right then and sent the other one back for poor quality. I checked AMZ again today and the cheapest version was 43.00 with many others in the 60-75.00 range.
I have also become aware that one has to be VERY attentive to details in the ads as they are getting as bold in misrepresenting the item with their verbiage as they are with copying the designs.
Thanks to all for keeping this topic "clean" so it doesn't get moved where it will benefit them by becoming much less visible. I would also like to ask that you share to as many forums and social media sites as possible.
thank you all again up beer

I'm OK with getting a cheap knockoff as long as that's what I intended to get. But they are sneaky about it like when they show a picture of the packaging for the real item in the ad but the description sounds iffy.

What's just as bad is there are also north American sellers who are taking advantage of people looking to buy American or they make it sound like they are the small time creator or manufacturer and they are selling the same Chinese junk at full blown retail.

Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: TJP] #3228352
04/20/24 11:09 PM
04/20/24 11:09 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by TJP

👏👏👏👏 We're not to tomorrow yet but I really hope it is still here up beer

Made it smile smile 🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: TJP] #3228386
04/21/24 09:53 AM
04/21/24 09:53 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Had Speedmaster not put Broader's name on the copies we would not be having this discussion at all. That was their big mistake.

Last edited by Stanton; 04/21/24 09:54 AM.
Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: TJP] #3228501
04/21/24 10:12 PM
04/21/24 10:12 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by TJP
They were caught red handed copying a small American companies design going so far as to even put the companies name on the knockoff product.

It was probably more a miscommunication ... Speedway ... sends china the VB in question and says to copy it ... probably had 1000 made...

The VB shows up and they have the copied part logo on it ....

Speedway calls china company and asks [censored]? and the china co says so sorry , we will make them again without the logo , send another check ....

Speedway says screw it and sends them out the door ...

fan

running up my post count some more .
Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: JohnRR] #3228509
04/21/24 10:41 PM
04/21/24 10:41 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by TJP

It was probably more a miscommunication ... Speedway ... sends china the VB in question and says to copy it ... probably had 1000 made...

The VB shows up and they have the copied part logo on it ....

Speedway calls china company and asks [censored]? and the china co says so sorry , we will make them again without the logo , send another check ....

Speedway says screw it and sends them out the door ...

fan

i am not sure what speedway or jegs did with their inventory, Summit says they destroyed it to prevent it getting resold by other means.

This involved more than 1 vendor. Speedway was one of them, They typically are not into the "hard core" race parts as other vendors. Who did what when and where to me is immaterial. The fact is they ripped of a small business mans design, made a faulty product, Used his Name, and HE is getting the calls as well as his name and product tarnished.

This is not an isolated case just one that caught some attention. I mentioned another example as well but they have not to my knowledge gone so far as using the originator's name.
This practice extends far beyond our little world of cars. High dollar Watches clothing, handbags, sunglasses and many more items.

I also found it interesting that the comapny shares the same address as Pro Comp and the also manage Speedmasters FB page. We all kow about the Quality of Pro Comp's 💩💩. It actually appears to be getting worse believe it or not.

Goes back to the old saying if it seems to good to be true if, it likely is. And a bit of research will likely prove it so. beer

Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: TJP] #3228561
04/22/24 09:36 AM
04/22/24 09:36 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
The issue has only surfaced to this degree because the original manufacturer's name was put on the copies. If their name had not appeared there this issue would just be a couple guys complaining about a knockoff with nothing being done about it. Even the manufacturer likely wouldn't have done anything about it other than to verbally complain to anyone who would listen. Let's face it, there is a market for this stuff or a) people wouldn't make it and b) people wouldn't buy it. But Summit, Jegs, etc ALL carry and sell loads of it and are very well aware of it being knockoffs and the origin. But you don't hear them saying they're pulling ALL that [censored] off their shelves now do you? Only the stuff from Speedmaster - and ONLY because they made the mistake of putting Broader's name on the junk.

AND I firmly believe that a good number of the so-called "knockoffs" come off the exact same line as the name brand products - all of which are made in China.
Here are a some examples you can see for yourself: Log into Amazon and look at:
fuel pressure regulators - identical copies of Aeromotive units
brake proportioning valves - identical copies of Wilwood units
line loc units - identical to Hurst units including the switch!
fuel filters - also identical to Aeromotive units
and the list goes on !!

Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: Stanton] #3228564
04/22/24 10:11 AM
04/22/24 10:11 AM
st.cloud fl
D
d-150 Offline
Smarter than a 5th grader?
d-150  Offline
Smarter than a 5th grader?
D

st.cloud fl
In the market rules should be made inventor of product gets paid for design.wether it be per item or lump sum

Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: Stanton] #3228576
04/22/24 11:41 AM
04/22/24 11:41 AM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
Originally Posted by Stanton
AND I firmly believe that a good number of the so-called "knockoffs" come off the exact same line as the name brand products - all of which are made in China.

Golf clubs for sure. Only the QC is different. This is the "night shift" work.

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: calmopar] #3228680
04/22/24 11:32 PM
04/22/24 11:32 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
When I had my employees, there were 3 rethreading kits int he shop.
Craftsman 50.00 new
mac Tools 125.00 new
Snap off 195.00 new.

They were identical in every way except the "sticker" on the lid. Even the intructions inside the box and the pebble finish on the outside were identical>

All made is the USA by the same company whistling beer

Re: A topic we should all think about, PLEASE READ!! [Re: TJP] #3228735
04/23/24 10:59 AM
04/23/24 10:59 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by TJP
When I had my employees, there were 3 rethreading kits int he shop.
Craftsman 50.00 new
mac Tools 125.00 new
Snap off 195.00 new.

They were identical in every way except the "sticker" on the lid. Even the intructions inside the box and the pebble finish on the outside were identical>

All made is the USA by the same company whistling beer

haha imagine that ! was the "USA" letters separated by "period" marks ? [as U.S.A.]
beer

Page 1 of 2 1 2