Cranberry Twp PA (North of Pit...
rumblefish72 Offline
enthusiast
rumblefish72  Offline
enthusiast

Cranberry Twp PA (North of Pit...
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by BrianT
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. I guess I was looking for someone to tell me that it wasn't necessary when I knew in my heart that it was?

So far, the plugs are out, the block plate is on as is the flywheel. I will bolt the bellhousing on and get the dial indicator set up. I have a buddy who says he can come by this weekend to help spin the engine while I write down the readings. It seems pretty straight forward from there. I have watched numerous YouTube videos on the subject.

Thanks for the heads up about the size of the dowels. I was looking on Summit's page and they list Ford/Mopar as .500", but if you look at the reviews there are comments from the Mopar guys saying that are too tight and needed to be modified. This saved me a HUGE amount of frustration in the near future. I will order the correct dowels from the link provided above.

Hopefully, I'll update this thread later in the week with good news. Thanks again!

in my experience the QT's are closer to spec than the Lakewood's, normally only requiring a .007 dowel if any beer

I'll second that ... I struggled to get my Lakewood dialed in. I think it was warped. I purchased a new QT and using straight dowels, measured using the 45* method and writing down. The QT was 0.002 out. I was happy. I've used the RobbieMac offsets on other engines; they work great.

1972 Pro-Street 'Cuda, 500" Eagle stoker B Block, Eddy RPM heads, Victor Manifold, 850 Mighty Demon, Hemi 4 Speed, Dana 60 w/4.88 gears - Built by Hansen Racing Middlesex - NJ
Re: Indexing QT Bellhousing [Re: jbc426] #3227375
04/16/24 07:25 AM
04/16/24 07:25 AM
Lees Summit, MO
BrianT Offline OP
pro stock
BrianT  Offline OP
pro stock

Lees Summit, MO
Originally Posted by jbc426
Did you also verify that the bellhousing's transmission mounting face is square to the back of the block? Mine are usually off a bit from square, and I use hardend prescision washers to adjust that.

We didn't measure that but I would be interested in knowing more? I will be changing out the 318 for a 416 next winter and would like to check it then. Thanks!

1970 Duster 340 clone
Re: Indexing QT Bellhousing [Re: BrianT] #3227602
04/17/24 05:14 AM
04/17/24 05:14 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
You may need to check the holes that the dowels fit into on the bell housing to make sure they are the same .496 that the Mopar block is. The last New Lakewood I did the dowel holes were .500, just like most of the dowels made out there. When I use the Robmc dowels, they were too small for the holes. It made it more difficult and the math did not work out perfect because the bell housing would have movement to the down side. Finding and old set of Mopar Performances dowels works the best.

Re: Indexing QT Bellhousing [Re: BrianT] #3227662
04/17/24 11:12 AM
04/17/24 11:12 AM
West Palm Beach, Florida
C
Craig J Offline
Craig J  Offline
C

West Palm Beach, Florida
Originally Posted by BrianT
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. I guess I was looking for someone to tell me that it wasn't necessary when I knew in my heart that it was?

So far, the plugs are out, the block plate is on as is the flywheel. I will bolt the bellhousing on and get the dial indicator set up. I have a buddy who says he can come by this weekend to help spin the engine while I write down the readings. It seems pretty straight forward from there. I have watched numerous YouTube videos on the subject.

Thanks for the heads up about the size of the dowels. I was looking on Summit's page and they list Ford/Mopar as .500", but if you look at the reviews there are comments from the Mopar guys saying that are too tight and needed to be modified. This saved me a HUGE amount of frustration in the near future. I will order the correct dowels from the link provided above.

Hopefully, I'll update this thread later in the week with good news. Thanks again!

What you don't want to see:

Last edited by Craig J; 04/17/24 11:17 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2