Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: DaveRS23] #3225373
04/06/24 10:04 AM
04/06/24 10:04 AM
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Can...
moparmike1 Offline
top fuel
moparmike1  Offline
top fuel

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Can...
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Originally Posted by moparmike1
When the Hellcats were introduced, I watched them closely thinking I might just pull the trigger on a good used one. After Dodge started building all they could sell, the depreciation on them was averaging over $550 a month. At one point, the original owner of a red one with 8,000 miles offered me the car for $42k. I thought hard about it, but thought why not wait a couple more months and get one for under $40k. So I offered $39.5k. He declined. And at about the same time, they started regaining value.

What will happen to Hellcat values in the near term seems to indicate another round of steep depreciation. How deep, how long? Who knows? And that will vary between certain models and even certain colors.

The moral of this story is typical of all cars. They are a volatile commodity. Just look at our Mopar muscle cars. They went from near worthless to total market value setters. Who knew?

So right now, buying a Hellcat is for those that can afford to risk losing a good amount of their purchase price. At least in the short term. And since miles are such a big deal, the more a buyer would enjoy driving their car, the more dollars that are flying out the window, too. Not a good situation for a lot of buyers.

So, you offered 94% of the original owner's price? $39.5k vs $42k. And, he declined. Wonder what he sold it for?

I'm not buying a new Hellcat worrying about the value. I'm buying new so there's no unknown history that comes along with a used car and I can enjoy driving it, with a full extended warranty.

NEWSFLASH: Buying new is NO guarantee that you can enjoy driving it. You must not have followed the fuel pump debacle along with other issues where buying new only guarantees that you are completely at the manufacturer's mercy on repairs. So as long as you have the money to lose on buying new, go for it. Just remember that the only other thing that you are guaranteed by buying new is that YOU ARE GONNA LOSE THE MOST MONEY POSSIBLE. That is your decision and you are welcome to it. Just not everyone wants to lose the most money possible to drive a particular (overpriced) car.

My advice, next time a good deal falls in your lap, don't insult the owner.

Thank you for that unsolicited (and poor) advice. That particular situation was a good deal. At that moment in time, I offered what the car's value would be in just a few months. Not a low ball offer, just a prudent offer based on the market conditions at the time. For new buyers who are used to and comfortable with getting soaked on each and every car deal, I understand how they wouldn't even consider, let alone understand those parameters.

If you can't afford one, don't try insulting those that can.

Is that offered out of pure ignorance or out of a desperate attempt to insult? Either way, you clearly misunderstand and demonstrate your ignorance of the situation.

FFS, predicting anything has long been a joke.

Tell that to all those invested in the stock market. eyes

You really prove your member title is well earned.

All my best.

Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: moparmike1] #3225380
04/06/24 10:44 AM
04/06/24 10:44 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
A difference of opinion accompanied with insults. That is the Mopart's way.

Master, again and still
Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: DaveRS23] #3225416
04/06/24 01:09 PM
04/06/24 01:09 PM
boston mass-moving to long isl...
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

boston mass-moving to long isl...
A difference of opinion accompanied with insults. That is the Mopart's way.

true true...it never happens on a ford site

Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: poorboy] #3225462
04/06/24 05:23 PM
04/06/24 05:23 PM
Nebraska
70VcodeCoronetRT Offline
top fuel
70VcodeCoronetRT  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
Originally Posted by poorboy
When times are good, people spend money on toys. When times get hard, they sell the toys, and only spend money on what they need.

Its not just Hellcats. Lots of people are only buying what they really need. Lots of places have hard inventory they couldn't get 2 years ago, but the customer count has really dropped off. Lots of stuff has come to nearly a complete stop around here in about the last 4 months. Nearly all the stores, businesses, and restaurants have very few customers. If it hasn't yet where you are at, you better get ready for it. The slow down is coming soon to your area as well.
Come on big Joe told me the economy is booming!!!

Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: 70VcodeCoronetRT] #3226039
04/09/24 01:13 PM
04/09/24 01:13 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Nobody has covered the real issues with Hellcat ownership.

Insurance cost.

Theft.

These things are so ridiculously easy to steal its not even funny. Thieves popped the lock on the dealership lot gate, moved the GM block vehicle, fired up the HC, and was gone in under 6 minutes.

If you ever turn your back on a 392 or HC and it's not in your locked garage don't plan on it being there when you turn back around.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: Cab_Burge] #3226094
04/09/24 05:33 PM
04/09/24 05:33 PM
poplar bluff mo.
T
toplescuda Offline
I Whine
toplescuda  Offline
I Whine
T

poplar bluff mo.
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Screw buying a new hot rod when you can build one that is faster and better looking for half their asking prices scope

But will never do all a hellcat does

1970 barracuda convert. 1 of 59
1970 pro street A.A.R. clone (panther pink)
1971 charger
2015 hellcat challenger. Redline red
2014 quad cab 4x4 ram 8 speed hemi
Page 2 of 2 1 2