Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline OP
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline OP
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Saw the range is 291 miles- for a half MILLION dollars. If you are poor and have to settle for the base model at 425k, you can expect 261 miles. Charging times are also still painful, at 34 minutes to get to 80%.

All this to say, there isn’t a better ev coming. The logic that the masses in 20 years will be using what the rich are today shows this pipe dream isn’t coming to reality. Passing a law won’t cause a sudden technological breakthrough. Once the gassers are all worn out or the fuel is banned, you’ll be stuck within two hours of home unless you want to spend the night. Driving cross country will be a nightmare. Of course the cool people in their private jets will still be dumping fuel over your heads and talking about how they love the environment.

I want my fair share
Re: Rolls Royce EV = no better [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3223512
03/29/24 10:15 AM
03/29/24 10:15 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
So its VERY EXPENSIVE and the manufacturer is lying about its true range and true recharge time? Same promotional template as 10,20 30, 40 etc. years ago. But it will save the planet because its zero emissions...... Usually, during a discussion like this someone will chime in with a reply to all the factual shortcomings of every EV- and that reply is "They will figure it out." Who is they? Worldwide- billions maybe hundreds of billions of $$ has been spent on figuring it out and the result is- No one has figured out anything. Battery is still dangerous to build, dangerous to own - expensive and provides unacceptable performance.

Last edited by 2boltmain; 03/29/24 10:17 AM.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: Rolls Royce EV = no better [Re: 2boltmain] #3223518
03/29/24 10:57 AM
03/29/24 10:57 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
the "zero emissions" term always irritates me because there is no mention of the emissions "created" by the charging source [electrical power plant where the electricity is generated to begin with] or the emissions created by the manufacturing processes necessary for all of the components needed to create the vehicle in question in the first place.
what kind of payback time is needed to get to total "zero emissions" ? whistling stirthepot
beer

Re: Rolls Royce EV = no better [Re: moparx] #3223529
03/29/24 12:03 PM
03/29/24 12:03 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
340Cuda Offline
master
340Cuda  Offline
master

Tulsa, Oklahoma
I would agree there is no such thing as zero emissions for anything.

However the consensus seems to be that even electricity generated by an old coal fired generating plant creates less emissions when used by an electric car than any internal combustion gas or diesel car on the road.

That being said it is hard to know what to believe these days, lithium producers will say one thing some other vested interest will say another.

You can't even trust photos or videos these days because they can all be faked.

The information age has turned into the misinformation age.

Last edited by 340Cuda; 03/30/24 03:02 PM.
Re: Rolls Royce EV = no better [Re: 340Cuda] #3223547
03/29/24 02:08 PM
03/29/24 02:08 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by 340Cuda

However the consensus seems to be that even electricity generated by an old coal fired generating plant creates less emissions when used by an electric car than any internal combustion gas or diesel car on the road.

That being said it is hard to know what to believe these days, lithium producers will say one thing some other vested interest will day another.

Their plan is working out perfectly!

Re: Rolls Royce EV = no better [Re: 340Cuda] #3223548
03/29/24 02:11 PM
03/29/24 02:11 PM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
EV battery materials are currently mined in 3rd world countries with child slave labor and ZERO EPA and DNR oversight. Think mining in the United States say back in the 1800s. The finished battery is STILL incredibly expensive even though slaves mined the minerals and the earth air and water was allowed to be polluted during manufacturing. So what if- the mining and manufacturing of EV batteries were done under the laws of the US? Abiding by all environmental laws employee rights and regulations and using heavy diesel equipment that complies with US emissions? I bet that same battery would cost $200,000. EVs are made on the back of the impoverished but yet they are STILL expensive.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: Rolls Royce EV = no better [Re: 2boltmain] #3223552
03/29/24 02:34 PM
03/29/24 02:34 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
There's money being made, and some of that has found a way to line legislators' & bureaucrats' pockets.
As for folks wealthy enough to afford a Rolls: they have money to throw at virtue-signalling that the schlubs in Priuses can only dream of, right ?

Re: Rolls Royce EV = no better [Re: 340Cuda] #3223608
03/29/24 10:15 PM
03/29/24 10:15 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by 340Cuda

That being said it is hard to know what to believe these days, lithium producers will say one thing some other vested interest will day another.

So little emissions are being made by the choked out ICE engines these days that there is basically no difference. The only thing to do to lower emissions nowadays is to go after China and India and make THEM lower THEIR emissions... rant

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Rolls Royce EV = no better [Re: Rhinodart] #3223646
03/30/24 08:31 AM
03/30/24 08:31 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
How come they are not going after the airline industry? Thousands of gallons of fuel being wasted to transport 25 people per plane. If the plane is not 90% full it shouldn't leave the ground! Of course the US is so far behind the rest of the world in high speed rail it's pathetic. So plane or car is the only way. Guess we will be seeing more charging stations/hotels since we can't get to our destination on a charge. But who is going to pay for this? We will just tack on a additional charge to any EV being sold. Then don't forget the EV's weigh more and cause more damage to the roads they all ready don't fix so will have to tack on more additional charges for that. Now the state is loosing the the percentage of gasoline tax they charge so again will have to tack on more charges. At what point is it not economically feasible to buy a EV? Then if you do you have to get rid of it before the battery dies and have to spend thousands for a replacement.

Re: Rolls Royce EV = no better [Re: Moparite] #3223675
03/30/24 10:36 AM
03/30/24 10:36 AM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by Moparite
How come they are not going after the airline industry? Thousands of gallons of fuel being wasted to transport 25 people per plane. If the plane is not 90% full it shouldn't leave the ground! Of course the US is so far behind the rest of the world in high speed rail it's pathetic. So plane or car is the only way. Guess we will be seeing more charging stations/hotels since we can't get to our destination on a charge. But who is going to pay for this? We will just tack on a additional charge to any EV being sold. Then don't forget the EV's weigh more and cause more damage to the roads they all ready don't fix so will have to tack on more additional charges for that. Now the state is loosing the the percentage of gasoline tax they charge so again will have to tack on more charges. At what point is it not economically feasible to buy a EV? Then if you do you have to get rid of it before the battery dies and have to spend thousands for a replacement.

High speed rail would be a joke in the U.S. It's feasible elsewhere but not here. I don't know one single person who would use the rail if it was built... shruggy

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Rolls Royce EV = no better [Re: Rhinodart] #3223682
03/30/24 11:20 AM
03/30/24 11:20 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Rhinodart

High speed rail would be a joke in the U.S. It's feasible elsewhere but not here. I don't know one single person who would use the rail if it was built... shruggy

I've used rail over the years. Not high speed but some of my experience is still relevant.

When I was in the Navvy I used to take the train from Great Lakes NTC to Chicago, walk over to the South Shore line and take that to the closest stop to where I grew up. A 6 hour trip to go 80 miles. 2 hours by car, less if you sped and boy do they speed on the highways around Chicago. Part of the issue was that the train stopped at every dipshit town along both lines, not an issues (theoretically) with high speed rail, but the other and relevant part follows. The first train out of the base I could catch left an hour after I got off work, the train before that left 15 minutes before I got off work. Then, when I finally got to Chicago made it to the South Shore terminal, I had to wait 2 hours for the next train home, missed the prior by less than 10 minutes. So three hours of sitting around waiting for a train.

When I was in San Diego, they have a "trolley", it's an electric train. IF you lied near a stop and if you worked near a stop you could commute, as long as you were willing to bend your schedule to the train's. Again, more wait time at the station, not as bad as the Chicago example though, more scheduled trains in San Diego.

Trains are great, if you are cargo or like being treated like cargo. Just about any other option is more convenient thought. Except planes, I'd rather take the Super Chief than fly, if I could.

Re: Rolls Royce EV = no better [Re: Sniper] #3223909
03/31/24 09:48 AM
03/31/24 09:48 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt

Well we have what is a joke for high speed rail, If the infrastructure was put in back in the 40-50's it might be a more feasible today. I watched a documentary about it and people don't want the line going near their house, threw farm land etc.. Under ground would be viable option but expensive. I would think by today we would at least have it going to all the major cities but no.
map linky