03/26/24 11:17 AM
03/26/24 11:17 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Manufacturers want their dealerships to be the ONLY one allowed with access to repair their cars- yet the dealerships no longer have techs that can diagnose. When a car gets beyond 5 years old corrosion and age mandate the ability to track down and troubleshoot. Instead they fire the parts cannon and make the customer pay knowing very well the root cause may not have been identified and fixed.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: 2boltmain] #3222898
03/26/24 01:37 PM
03/26/24 01:37 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Try dealing with Tesla.

Friggin nightmare.

They do not have a viable wholesale parts program. It exists. Kinda. Just good enough to meet the letter of the law.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: 2boltmain] #3222918
03/26/24 02:43 PM
03/26/24 02:43 PM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Originally Posted by 2boltmain
Manufacturers want their dealerships to be the ONLY one allowed with access to repair their cars- yet the dealerships no longer have techs that can diagnose. When a car gets beyond 5 years old corrosion and age mandate the ability to track down and troubleshoot. Instead they fire the parts cannon and make the customer pay knowing very well the root cause may not have been identified and fixed.

Yep this.

Their hope is that if your service experience is bad enough, you will just say "the heck with it" and trade it in on a new one.

Last year I dealt with a dealership--the young tech was in over his head. They wanted to throw $3500 worth of parts at it. About an hour on Google and Youtube and I fixed it myself with a $30 sensor and about 2 hours of my time.

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: 2boltmain] #3222927
03/26/24 03:49 PM
03/26/24 03:49 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by 2boltmain

All too true.

Techs are getting worse and worse. And that's at over $100 an hour. Then the O.E.s don't want us to have access to parts and info to do it ourselves. Just a bad situation all the way around.

Here in this rural area, we fortunately have a very good independent who is the go-to on domestic vehicles over 3 or 4 years old. At that point, there is more aftermarket support and information floating around than with the brand new stuff.

Then there's this:

s-l1600.jpg

Master, again and still
Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: DaveRS23] #3222942
03/26/24 05:28 PM
03/26/24 05:28 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
I had a great local independent guy until he retired - and then I moved.
He was the kind that figured out what & why and never immediately went into throwing money t something.
Need to find a guy like him for some things I'm not able to do at home, like fix my Dually's R12 AC.
Any of the guys in the Boise/Meridian area who know someone, let me know.

Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: topside] #3222954
03/26/24 06:03 PM
03/26/24 06:03 PM
S.E.Ohio
Magnumguy Online content
I Live Here
Magnumguy  Online Content
I Live Here

S.E.Ohio
Being a part-time employee @ Advance ( commercial delivery ), boy I could tell some stories.

On the other hand, my Dad, a Dodge salesman and service writer, told me back in the 70's that cars would get to the point that you ( the average folks ) couldn't or wouldn't be able to service your own car. That was back in mid-70's. We all know now what it takes to work on a "new" vehicle.

"Multiple Magnum owner since 1978!!"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146952895354657/
Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: ZIPPY] #3222974
03/26/24 08:18 PM
03/26/24 08:18 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Kind of curious after watching the video what replacing tires has to do with the right to repair and it seems that all of those service shops look strangely like auto dealerships? There is no law that I know of that keeps anyone from working on YOUR OWN vehicle. Buy a Demon or a Redeye and do whatever you like. There are lots of aftermarket code scanners and programmers available and they are not free. As soon as a "Right to Repair" from the gov happens Ch!@ will be jumping for joy. And from the sounds of the voice on the video I don't think that's very American English more like AI.. Watch the "Everything Breaks" commercial and see if you can find a USA license type plate or some of those vans without a right-hand drive. Buy a new ANY vehicle and drive it home and rip it apart, do you really think the sheriff is going to show up and haul you off to "No workie on YOUR car" jail. IMO most of this is to get manufacture's specialized diagnostic information access so Ch!n@ and the Pacific Rim countries can start making product to sell here. What special mechanical tool can't be copied or that are not electronic??? You could just get a job at a car, truck or farm dealership and steal or buy the "special" equipment and sell it to a foreign country or just open up your own service shop if there wasn't patent and laws to protect from that. Oh, I forgot patent laws don't mean a thing to protect your product or technologies anymore in this world especially if you sell around the world like CAT, JD etc. Great angle with the pity the poor independent shops and owners when they can't even have a small shop replace tires or do an oil change or turn a wrench on your vehicle. There's more to this than meets the eye. Throw out US Patents they mean nothing to Ch!n@ and other foreign countries. Pretty clever how they use an American flag looking logo eh?

Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: A12] #3222977
03/26/24 08:35 PM
03/26/24 08:35 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
"And that's at over $100 an hour."

Please tell me you don't think the tech makes $100/hour. I know many techs that make damn good money but they don't make $100/hr. They bust their asses working on crap most guys on here wouldn't or couldn't touch. This new crap is ridiculous to repair and even with access to the information most would be lost without the programming equipment required anytime you touch anything on a late model car.

Touch the sideview mirror...needs calibration. Touch the bumper cover...calibrate. Replace the module...program, then calibrate. Error codes....reprogram the module. Replace rear brake pads....scanner to retract the pistons.Alignment...scanner to zero cal the steering angle sensor. The list goes on and on and on and on. We just spent almost 30k on equipment to calibrate forward facing cameras, radars, blind spot detection etc.

Last edited by Dcuda69; 03/26/24 08:38 PM.
Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: A12] #3222978
03/26/24 08:36 PM
03/26/24 08:36 PM
Motor City
6PKRTSE Offline
master
6PKRTSE  Offline
master

Motor City
I am not nor have I ever been an SAE certified mechanic. I have always repaired and worked on my own vehicles. I have never taken my vehicles in or paid to be repaired. One, could never afford it. Two, satisfying to fix it myself. It's a shame as high tech as everything is these days, they are more unreliable than ever.

1963 Belvedere 440 Max Wedge Tribute
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 Six Pack
1970 Challenger R/T, 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 383
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440
1996 2500 RAM 488 V-10 4X4
2004 3500 Dually Cummins 4x4
2012 Challenger R/T Classic.
Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: Dcuda69] #3222980
03/26/24 08:46 PM
03/26/24 08:46 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by Dcuda69

Please tell me you don't think the tech makes $100/hour. I know many techs that make damn good money but they don't make $100/hr. They bust their asses working on crap most guys on here wouldn't or couldn't touch. This new crap is ridiculous to repair and even with access to the information most would be lost without the programming equipment required anytime you touch anything on a late model car.

Touch the sideview mirror...needs calibration. Touch the bumper cover...calibrate. Replace the module...program, then calibrate. Error codes....reprogram the module. Replace rear brake pads....scanner to retract the pistons.Alignment...scanner to zero cal the steering angle sensor. The list goes on and on and on and on. We just spent almost 30k on equipment to calibrate forward facing cameras, radars, blind spot detection etc.

So is it the dealership or the manufacture that makes or gets the money from dealership shop service work.? How much of the dealership service bill goes to the manufacture?

Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: A12] #3222982
03/26/24 08:54 PM
03/26/24 08:54 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by A12

So is it the dealership or the manufacture that makes or gets the money from dealership shop service work.? How much of the dealership service bill goes to the manufacture?

The dealer makes the money on customer pay repairs. The dealer gets paid on warranty repairs from the manufacture. A good tech likely makes $40-$50/hr flat rate.Don't forget....that tech has to maintain all his/her certifications and supply all his own tools(likely $50-$100k)

Last edited by Dcuda69; 03/26/24 08:57 PM.
Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: Dcuda69] #3222987
03/26/24 09:08 PM
03/26/24 09:08 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by A12

The dealer makes the money on customer pay repairs. The dealer gets paid on warranty repairs from the manufacture. A good tech likely makes $40-$50/hr flat rate.Don't forget....that tech has to maintain all his/her certifications and supply all his own tools(likely $50-$100k)

Then wouldn't it hurt the dealership's mechanic if the manufacture was FORCED to give away proprietary technologies that would at least insure that for a small part of dealer service work might come back to him? That seems to be the only thing the mechanic might be able to address at least during the manufacture's warranty period? From what I know the dealership labor rate for the most part is dictated by local and state laws and the DEALERSHIP due mostly to the costs of that dealer's "costs to do business". The costs at a Chevy dealer versus a Mercedes dealer I'm sure in your area are not the same.

Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: A12] #3222991
03/26/24 09:24 PM
03/26/24 09:24 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by A12

Then wouldn't it hurt the dealership's mechanic if the manufacture was FORCED to give away proprietary technologies that would at least insure that for a small part of dealer service work might come back to him? That seems to be the only thing the mechanic might be able to address at least during the manufacture's warranty period? From what I know the dealership labor rate for the most part is dictated by local and state laws and the DEALERSHIP due mostly to the costs of that dealer's "costs to do business". The costs at a Chevy dealer versus a Mercedes dealer I'm sure in your area are not the same.

My point is....even if manufactures are forced to make proprietary info available to all of us (which I support) doesn't mean we will be able to completely repair our cars without buying/updating/subscribing to computer hardware and software. Those costs can be very prohibitive especially for those that want to do a one time module diag/repair/replacement. Even if they make software available to you and I....would they have to make it compatible with your PC and mine? What happens when they change it next year(because they will)?

Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: Dcuda69] #3222995
03/26/24 09:36 PM
03/26/24 09:36 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Agree, but what bugs me is this video was made in a foreign country.......................WHY?

Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: A12] #3223005
03/26/24 10:07 PM
03/26/24 10:07 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
I wonder where the money came from to make this video and where that RTR .com site is located. Those bib overalls are surely telling that ain't America, and can anyone identify any of those cars and note the non-North America license plates. The tire rack scene is confusing, are they saying you can't even replace tires (or is that tyres wink ) without the right to repair? There's a foreign scam here, maybe industrial espionage wink grin.

Ok the bib coveralls was the first clue, then the funny foreign cars and license plates, then the aerial shot of the intersection without even one PICKUP truck and only cab over semis. And are they driving on the correct side of the road, I think NOT. The houses and the odd foreign car in the first image are surely not in North America IMO.

right or wrong to repair 01.jpgright or wrong to repair 03.jpgright or wrong to repair 05.jpgright or wrong to repair 06.jpg
Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: A12] #3223033
03/27/24 07:14 AM
03/27/24 07:14 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Online content
I Live Here
6PakBee  Online Content
I Live Here

North Dakota
I think we're getting too far in the weeds here. Should I have the right to diagnose the on board computers on my car? I think I do. Do I deserve to know how to troubleshoot the functionality of my car's systems (EFI, ABS, A/C, etc). I think I do. Do I need to know how internally they all work? Probably not.

Claiming that information to diagnose equipment is equivalent to proprietary information used to design equipment is a false equivalence, IMHO.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: 6PakBee] #3223048
03/27/24 10:12 AM
03/27/24 10:12 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline OP
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline OP
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan

Nice to see some passion about anything around here, and people who care enough to even respond whether we agree or not.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: ZIPPY] #3223067
03/27/24 10:57 AM
03/27/24 10:57 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
No one is wanting proprietary engineering details. Just basic diagnostic access and replacement parts. There is a happy spot that will not jeopardize the O.E.'s ability to maintain their integrity while allowing owners and independents to service their products. Besides, who here believes that the other competing O.E.s do not reverse engineer anything of consequence anyway? Blue collar guys are the ONLY ones being held at arms length on this.

This is a battle for dollars, pure and simple. The O.E.s have failed miserably to earn our service and parts business. Just look at the width and breadth of the aftermarket parts suppliers. They have beaten the O.E.s at their own game.

So, after failing to EARN our parts and service business, they now seek to FORCE us to use them. And frankly, even if they were successful in FORCING us to use them, they couldn't handle the volume. They are short on EVERYTHING that they would need to accomplish it.

Master, again and still
Re: Support Right To Repair [Re: DaveRS23] #3223128
03/27/24 12:48 PM
03/27/24 12:48 PM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
The average age of a car owned by an American is 12 years old. That means MANY cars are much older than that. (Yes many are newer as well- averages) The people who own a 12 year old car and older are probably living paycheck to paycheck and cannot afford the average auto repair which is around $600. The manufacturers are not giving an option- but forcing people to buy a new car. The same people who cannot afford a new car with cash and probably are a high risk to lend money to for a new car. A vicious unnecessary cycle. I really like cars and truck made between 99 and 2010. Modern enough to be comfy efficient and reliable- low tech enough to where I can still do the brakes suspension and maintenance- and low tech enough to where a competent independent shop can perform the complicated diags and repairs.

Last edited by 2boltmain; 03/27/24 12:52 PM.

Keep old mopars alive.