03/16/24 07:52 PM
03/16/24 07:52 PM
Stuttgart, Arkansas
rickseeman Offline OP
master
rickseeman  Offline OP
master

Stuttgart, Arkansas
I want to buy a paint gun to paint some valve covers but I don't know anything about them. I guess I want one of those top container/gravity feed type since everybody I see that knows how to paint uses that kind. I don't want a Harbor Freight gun but I'm not painting the Mona Lisa either. Tell me what I need because I don't know anything. Thanks.

2011 Drag Pak Challenger
Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: rickseeman] #3220897
03/16/24 08:32 PM
03/16/24 08:32 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Online content
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Online Content
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
For just one small project it may be easier to just pay someone to spray them for you? Clean paint booth setting, disposal of the leftovers, and someone who already knows how to set the gun up are all important....

I'm sure your local body shop supplier can set you up with a decent low cost paint gun that is plenty capable of working on small projects. FWIW I've seen do it yourself types on Youtube do some nice looking paint work with cheap HF paint guns as well. I'm not a big fan of HF in general, but they do have some stuff that is fairly well made for the money.

Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: Neil] #3220901
03/16/24 08:47 PM
03/16/24 08:47 PM
IL us
I
ink Offline
mopar
ink  Offline
mopar
I

IL us
Originally Posted by Neil
For just one small project it may be easier to just pay someone to spray them for you? Clean paint booth setting, disposal of the leftovers, and someone who already knows how to set the gun up are all important....

I'm sure your local body shop supplier can set you up with a decent low cost paint gun that is plenty capable of working on small projects. FWIW I've seen do it yourself types on Youtube do some nice looking paint work with cheap HF paint guns as well. I'm not a big fan of HF in general, but they do have some stuff that is fairly well made for the money.

But bad Chad says a cheap 20-dollar gun is all the same! ;b

Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: Neil] #3220904
03/16/24 08:55 PM
03/16/24 08:55 PM
Stuttgart, Arkansas
rickseeman Offline OP
master
rickseeman  Offline OP
master

Stuttgart, Arkansas

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-hvlp-gravity-feed-air-spray-gun-62300.html
It's 15.99 at Harbor Freight. I have a body shop guy that would do it for free I just hate asking people.

2011 Drag Pak Challenger
Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: rickseeman] #3220905
03/16/24 08:59 PM
03/16/24 08:59 PM
Stuttgart, Arkansas
rickseeman Offline OP
master
rickseeman  Offline OP
master

Stuttgart, Arkansas
I pay double that for some rattle cans I order.

2011 Drag Pak Challenger
Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: rickseeman] #3220912
03/16/24 09:27 PM
03/16/24 09:27 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Online content
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Online Content
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
They offer nicer ones for more money. https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-spray-guns.html

Or buy your painter guy a nice lunch for doing your valve covers for you?

Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: Neil] #3220915
03/16/24 09:34 PM
03/16/24 09:34 PM
Stuttgart, Arkansas
rickseeman Offline OP
master
rickseeman  Offline OP
master

Stuttgart, Arkansas
The $15.99 one is prettier than the $179 one, cause I like purple I guess.

He would gladly do it for free. I just think I should be able to do a simple task like this.

2011 Drag Pak Challenger
Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: rickseeman] #3220917
03/16/24 10:01 PM
03/16/24 10:01 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
If you're not familiar with spray guns or painting, and especially if you haven't bought the materials yet:

Offer your painter buddy lunch/dinner/favorite 6-pack of beer, or use rattle cans.

I have a couple of HF guns - gravity and touch-up - and they've been fine.
Technique, cleanliness, & materials are more important than the gun, for most people or small jobs.

Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: topside] #3220935
03/16/24 11:46 PM
03/16/24 11:46 PM
Zombieland
Car Nut Offline
mopar
Car Nut  Offline
mopar

Zombieland
Get them powder coated.

Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: rickseeman] #3220960
03/17/24 07:37 AM
03/17/24 07:37 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
Originally Posted by rickseeman

i am a PPG certified painter with 40 years of experience.
there is a light year difference between the $16 HF gun and the $180 one.

i used to use the $16 HF gun for PRIMER for years it works OK for that. i have used it for regular painting a couple of times. i didn't care for it. it doesn't atomize the paint to my liking.. now the shop has a 3M changeable end primer gun they want used. it's and much easier and cheaper to clean.

i haven't used the HF black widow gun. i have talked to another painter at a PPG training certification class about it. he liked how it worked.
i HAVE used the next level down gun for painting a couple of times. it worked pretty good. in a pinch i would used it again. i still prefer my DeVillbis TEKNA gun over the HF one. especially for the clear coat. i spray the newer ultra high solids clears used today with a 1.2 tip. this in not available with the HF guns. i use the 1.3 tip when painting the water base coat.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: Mr T2U] #3220981
03/17/24 10:22 AM
03/17/24 10:22 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
Get them powder coated.

THIS! You won't have to worry about the paint peeling if you get gas on them.

Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: Moparite] #3221012
03/17/24 12:31 PM
03/17/24 12:31 PM
oklahoma
F
forphorty Offline
pro stock
forphorty  Offline
pro stock
F

oklahoma
Originally Posted by Moparite
Get them powder coated.

THIS! You won't have to worry about the paint peeling if you get gas on them.
Gasoline won't peel acrylic urethane and powdercoat may not be a good color match.

Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: Mr T2U] #3221016
03/17/24 12:52 PM
03/17/24 12:52 PM
Stuttgart, Arkansas
rickseeman Offline OP
master
rickseeman  Offline OP
master

Stuttgart, Arkansas
Originally Posted by Mr T2U

i used to use the $16 HF gun for PRIMER for years it works OK for that. i have used it for regular painting a couple of times. i didn't care for it. it doesn't atomize the paint to my liking.. now the shop has a 3M changeable end primer gun they want used. it's and much easier and cheaper to clean.

i haven't used the HF black widow gun. i have talked to another painter at a PPG training certification class about it. he liked how it worked.
i HAVE used the next level down gun for painting a couple of times. it worked pretty good. in a pinch i would used it again. i still prefer my DeVillbis TEKNA gun over the HF one. especially for the clear coat. i spray the newer ultra high solids clears used today with a 1.2 tip. this in not available with the HF guns. i use the 1.3 tip when painting the water base coat.

Since I don't know anything, there are 2 Black Widows, I don't know if I'm supposed to buy a HTE or a HVLP. (I assume that means high pressure low volume?) I'll just be painting auto parts for the times I can't get a rattle can that color.

EDIT: I mean high volume low pressure

Last edited by rickseeman; 03/17/24 01:19 PM.

2011 Drag Pak Challenger
Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: forphorty] #3221018
03/17/24 12:55 PM
03/17/24 12:55 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Online content
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Online Content
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Powdercoating is great also, and you can get some really good colors from Prismatic Powders ect. In this area it has gotten pretty pricey to where there is little difference in cost between it and high end paint materials.

Also if your wanting a color they don't use often they will charge you a fee to order it. I would about guarantee if I went looking for Hemi Orange powdercoat here nobody would have it in stock.

Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: Neil] #3221022
03/17/24 01:11 PM
03/17/24 01:11 PM
Stuttgart, Arkansas
rickseeman Offline OP
master
rickseeman  Offline OP
master

Stuttgart, Arkansas
Yes, and you know their Hemi Orange engine paint wouldn't match. Mopar's own didn't come close for the last 20 years. It was terrible.

2011 Drag Pak Challenger
Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: rickseeman] #3221047
03/17/24 02:26 PM
03/17/24 02:26 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Online content
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Online Content
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Agree, and Mopar orange paint wasn't even the same color can to can. Assuming you could get the cans to spray properly half the time...

Last edited by Neil; 03/17/24 02:26 PM.
Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: ink] #3221060
03/17/24 03:04 PM
03/17/24 03:04 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Originally Posted by ink

He says thet are 15 bucks. And uses plenty of them.
He is am idiot.
CHAD shot over 3 gallons of Slick Sand on a car with a small tip air turned up crazy. He needed so much since was rough. So top was wasted. Instead of one nice smooth coat, flashing off. Followed Second coat block done, seal paint. It was coat, coat, coat. Sand with DA ( he calls that bocked) was so rough the dog said Ruff-Ruff. Spend a dollar to save a dime. And he says he saves time But waste it!
Like when you use hockey tape and rock gaurd I. Spray bombs.
A real gun with bed liner would have taken fraction of the time, and cost half and done a good job. Now talking about needed in insulation for sound. Idiot.
I still use my Sharpe Platinum HVLP. Yes I have never guns but nothing wrong with my old Sharpe gun.
I got a gun for 140 ish from TCP Gobal (Master Series) but wanted a 2.5mm high build primer gun. I also grabbed a 1.4mm head, cap and needle so could be used as sealer, single stage, base and clear gun as back up if need be.
It is nice. I used Master Air brushes in the past plenty so figured the guns had to be good low-mid level guns.
Buying a good gun that last gets you to start shooting more things instead of spray bombs

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: 340SIX] #3221157
03/17/24 10:50 PM
03/17/24 10:50 PM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by 340SIX
Originally Posted by ink

He says thet are 15 bucks. And uses plenty of them.
He is am idiot.
CHAD shot over 3 gallons of Slick Sand on a car with a small tip air turned up crazy. He needed so much since was rough. So top was wasted. Instead of one nice smooth coat, flashing off. Followed Second coat block done, seal paint. It was coat, coat, coat. Sand with DA ( he calls that bocked) was so rough the dog said Ruff-Ruff. Spend a dollar to save a dime. And he says he saves time But waste it!
Like when you use hockey tape and rock gaurd I. Spray bombs.
A real gun with bed liner would have taken fraction of the time, and cost half and done a good job. Now talking about needed in insulation for sound. Idiot.
I still use my Sharpe Platinum HVLP. Yes I have never guns but nothing wrong with my old Sharpe gun.
I got a gun for 140 ish from TCP Gobal (Master Series) but wanted a 2.5mm high build primer gun. I also grabbed a 1.4mm head, cap and needle so could be used as sealer, single stage, base and clear gun as back up if need be.
It is nice. I used Master Air brushes in the past plenty so figured the guns had to be good low-mid level guns.
Buying a good gun that last gets you to start shooting more things instead of spray bombs

Makes perfect sense. Plus you can use it for spraying things around the house/shop/etc.
Gun with stainless parts will allow you to spray water-based paints/stains/etc.

Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: rickseeman] #3221173
03/18/24 06:57 AM
03/18/24 06:57 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
Originally Posted by Mr T2U

Since I don't know anything, there are 2 Black Widows, I don't know if I'm supposed to buy a HTE or a HVLP. (I assume that means high pressure low volume?) I'll just be painting auto parts for the times I can't get a rattle can that color.

EDIT: I mean high volume low pressure

the HVLP is high volume low pressure. the HTE is high transfer efficiency .....most shops use the HVLP.
i use a SATA 5000 digital HVLP for base coat and sealer. i have 3 of them. 1 used for sealer and 2 for base coat.
i actually use the HTE type DeVillbis TECKNA spray gun for clear coat with a 1.2 tip on my job, i think it's referred as HE by DeVillbis. it has the same air pressure at the tip as a HVLP, uses less total air volume than the HVLP and IMO seems to atomize the paint a little better. yet it's still clean air emissions legal. i spray at 19psi at the air cap, this is the same as a HVLP gun. anything at 19psi and under is compliant. this gun is sold with a digital regulator, i set it at 19psi and paint.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Need paint gun for valve covers [Re: rickseeman] #3221229
03/18/24 01:48 PM
03/18/24 01:48 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
If you just want to toss paint on Valve covers anything will do ok.

The better the paint gun the better the finish but that isn't always what you need. My first gun was a Craftsman and it did fine but eventually I got a Devilbiss traditional gun (cup under the gun) and it is great. I can shoot great finish coats with it. My lesser guns have been relegated to primers. Like someone said if you get a good gun you may get brave and shoot fancier stuff. It can be fun.

Back to the valve covers. The nice guns require you to take nice care of them. I will spend more time cleaning my gun than I do shooting some panels/parts.

So if you just want to toss paint on without a lot of headache or fear of spending hundreds of dollars on guns. I see 2 choices.

Preval fillable paint sprayer.
https://store.preval.com/collections/preval-sprayer

I used these to paint the undercarriage on my convertible over 30 years ago and it is still ok. Not show quality paint but it does a good job, no real cleanup and you load the paint you want in it so you pick the color.

A small cheap touch up gun can do the job a little better.
Like this one.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/NuMax-P...-with-125-cc-Plastic-Cup-SPS08/308910132

Nearly everyone sells something similar, Lowes, Ace Hardware, HF, Tractor Supply, etc. etc. It isn't hard to find one under $30 and they can be cleaned and used again.

They won't give you show quality body paint but if you are looking for decent looking smooth paint these will do the job.

There are some really good qualified paint guys on here that can tell you air pressures, nozzle tips and such, if you tell them the type and brand of paint they can give you great information.

I would consider getting a good gun and try to do some work with it. You might find that you enjoy it. But for me these work well for small parts and stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2