Michigan
B
BigFish69 Offline OP
mopar
BigFish69  Offline OP
mopar
B

Michigan
looking for some advice been scammed on a part i sold on market place paid through pay pal the scammer claim the part had a problem which it DIDN'T pay pal messaged me but i never seen the message and paypal returned the money back to him. after a month notice my account was short i got in contact with paypal to see what the problem was they said there was dispute so i said will then send me my part back after many calls to paypal they said they would send courtesy message to him. l also messaged him on face book he said he would send it back after messaging him several time and asking for tracking number he then claimed he sent it but would not produce a tracking number and now will not answer his messages.

PLEASE DON'T DELETE LOOKING FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS

Last edited by BigFish69; 03/06/24 12:45 AM.
Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: BigFish69] #3214227
02/17/24 08:04 PM
02/17/24 08:04 PM
Kansas
T
Thelma133 Offline
Thelma133  Offline
T

Kansas
Sorry to hear that, hasn’t happened to me, thankfully. I hope you get it resolved.

Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: BigFish69] #3214230
02/17/24 08:20 PM
02/17/24 08:20 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted by BigFish69
looking for some advice been scammed on a part i sold on market place paid through pay pal the scammer claim the part had a problem which it DIDN'T pay pal messaged me but i never seen the message and paypal returned the money back to him. after a month notice my account was short i got in contact with paypal to see what the problem was they said there was dispute so i said will then send me my part back after many calls to paypal they said they would send courtesy message to him. l also messaged him on face book he said he would send it back after messaging him several time and asking for tracking number he then claimed he sent it but would not produce a tracking number and now will not answer his messages.

PLEASE DON'T DELETE

Please tell me it wasn’t a friends n family deal. If so you cheated the system and PayPal won’t helping you.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: pittsburghracer] #3214232
02/17/24 08:30 PM
02/17/24 08:30 PM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
Yes I was scammed out of $700 by a guy on here on a stroker crankshaft deal

Last edited by 11secdart; 02/18/24 11:07 AM.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: 11secdart] #3214234
02/17/24 08:34 PM
02/17/24 08:34 PM
Michigan
B
BigFish69 Offline OP
mopar
BigFish69  Offline OP
mopar
B

Michigan
No it was not family or friends and paypal don't want to do anything to help

Last edited by BigFish69; 02/17/24 08:37 PM.
Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: BigFish69] #3214237
02/17/24 09:01 PM
02/17/24 09:01 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Get a separate checking account for on line and paypal type stuff. Attach paypal to that. Keep a minimum of money in it. When you get paid for something through paypal, transfer it to a secure account right away.

I may get scammed or hacked (again), but they won't get much.

Know who you're dealing with.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 02/17/24 09:03 PM.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: CMcAllister] #3214238
02/17/24 09:08 PM
02/17/24 09:08 PM
Florida
BDW Offline
master
BDW  Offline
master

Florida
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Get a separate checking account for on line and paypal type stuff. Attach paypal to that. Keep a minimum of money in it. When you get paid for something through paypal, transfer it to a secure account right away.

I may get scammed or hacked (again), but they won't get much.

Know who you're dealing with.

I wonder if PayPal could somehow have the bank claw back the money, even if transferred.
You wouldn't think so, but anything is possible I'm sure.

Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: pittsburghracer] #3214249
02/17/24 10:22 PM
02/17/24 10:22 PM
CA
C
crackedback Offline
top fuel
crackedback  Offline
top fuel
C

CA
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

PLEASE DON'T DELETE

Please tell me it wasn’t a friends n family deal. If so you cheated the system and PayPal won’t helping you.

He SOLD the part, so the F&F thing would NOT be to his detriment. The buyer pulled a scam and issued a claim against him through goods and services payment approach.

As mentioned, have an account solely for paypal cash transfers, get money, move it to a different account right away. No money in account, nothing to take.

A bank would g3et in big trouble if they went to a separate account to claw back money at paypals request. The account they have access is the only one that should potentially be garnished. Federal Banking rules would frown on them nixing a different account.

Last edited by crackedback; 02/17/24 10:24 PM.
Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: crackedback] #3214266
02/18/24 12:20 AM
02/18/24 12:20 AM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
I got scammed on a TRANSMISSION.from John Cope .. does that count $5000 of junk

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: BigFish69] #3214284
02/18/24 07:52 AM
02/18/24 07:52 AM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline
master
6PAX  Offline
master

Detroit area

PLEASE DON'T DELETE LOOKING FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS

This is why I don't use Paypal anymore. Although I had not had it happen to me, I've read many stories like this over the years so I stopped accepting Paypal before it did. Seems Paypal always sides with the buyer without giving any consideration to the possibility that the buyer is just trying to rip off the seller. Paypal should not issue any refunds to the buyer until proof is shown that the supposedly defective item has been returned.

Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: crackedback] #3214289
02/18/24 08:54 AM
02/18/24 08:54 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by crackedback
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

PLEASE DON'T DELETE

He SOLD the part, so the F&F thing would NOT be to his detriment. The buyer pulled a scam and issued a claim against him through goods and services payment approach.

As mentioned, have an account solely for paypal cash transfers, get money, move it to a different account right away. No money in account, nothing to take.

A bank would g3et in big trouble if they went to a separate account to claw back money at paypals request. The account they have access is the only one that should potentially be garnished. Federal Banking rules would frown on them nixing a different account.

This will damage your credibility with the banking system. As far as the bank is concerned, your account is overdrawn, and you owe them the money. That is why banks today want so much personal info to open an account that you want to give them funds to deposit. They want to be able track you down, They also have a long good memory, industry wide. You might retain the funds, for a while. Your beef here is not with the bank, and the bank always wins, in the end.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: jcc] #3214306
02/18/24 10:25 AM
02/18/24 10:25 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Here's a simple fact: unless you deal one-on-one, face-to-face with CASH, there is ALWAYS the possibility of being scammed or for that matter, scamming! While I feel for the OP's situation, it could just as easily be him scamming the buyer.

Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: BigFish69] #3214318
02/18/24 11:25 AM
02/18/24 11:25 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
You have his name and address for shipping.

Can you file theft charges with his local police department?

Maybe a police investigation could light a fire for him to make it right?

Did you mail it postal mail or ups/fedex/other? There used to be mail fraud charges if it was a postal shipment. I do not know the rules for that but maybe?

Good luck.

Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: IMGTX] #3214320
02/18/24 11:36 AM
02/18/24 11:36 AM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
Never done a charge back in my life but your gonna have to take your lumps for not staying up on the transaction, payments, your emails, your PP account.

Many of us check all that stuff daily weather we even have any transactions in progress.

Not saying this situation is your fault or not your fault but imo you should of been a bit more on top of things.

This is why I say move on as it seems its just part of business in the USA as sad as it is. AND a good part of some of the costs we all pay from the scammers to the deadbeats who dont pay there CC bills.

Given that 78% of Americans admitted filing at least one chargeback over the last year, this ultimately suggests that cardholders in the US disputed a minimum of USD 65.2 billion worth of charges in 2023, on the most conservative basis, equating to USD 243.75 billion and up to factoring in Lexis Nexis’s True Cost of Fraud burden to US retailers.

I do without a lot of parts Id like to buy as I will only only only buy from someone I know of have known of for years.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: jcc] #3214331
02/18/24 12:45 PM
02/18/24 12:45 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by jcc

That is why banks today want so much personal info to open an account that you want to give them funds to deposit.

Nope, federal banking regulations drive all of that. The bank must ask those questions, it's called know your customer.

Got a daughter that's a VP at a bank and she's filled me in on all that stuff over the years.

Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: Sniper] #3214332
02/18/24 12:52 PM
02/18/24 12:52 PM
Sobieski Wi
B
bee1971 Online work
master
bee1971  Online Work
master
B

Sobieski Wi
Now you know why SELLERS want payment thru Family and Friends ONLY

1971 Dodge Charger Superbee
2011 Ram Sport 1500 Quad Cab Deep Water Blue Loaded
Siberian Huskies
Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: Sniper] #3214407
02/18/24 05:08 PM
02/18/24 05:08 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by jcc

That is why banks today want so much personal info to open an account that you want to give them funds to deposit.

Nope, federal banking regulations drive all of that. The bank must ask those questions, it's called know your customer.

Got a daughter that's a VP at a bank and she's filled me in on all that stuff over the years.

You drank the koolaid I see, its also why the bank can bounce a check without any time limit, or the so call "clearing', and why checks are never returned to the writer, which allows them to be bounced in the future, and make the account owner pay up.

But keep your cover story, it keeps everyone submissive and in line. biggrin

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: jcc] #3214414
02/18/24 05:38 PM
02/18/24 05:38 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by jcc

You drank the koolaid I see, its also why the bank can bounce a check without any time limit, or the so call "clearing', and why checks are never returned to the writer, which allows them to be bounced in the future, and make the account owner pay up.

Nope, I neither wear a tin foil hat nor have my head in my nether regions.

Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: Sniper] #3214426
02/18/24 06:36 PM
02/18/24 06:36 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by jcc

Nope, I neither wear a tin foil hat nor have my head in my nether regions.

Well consider this:

1. Anybody can be a VP at a bank

2. No VP is ever going against Government regulations and Corporate dogma in the slightest way

3. Government and the banking industry are in total lockstep on writing new regulations that serves both THEIR purposes, first and foremost.

4. The concept of "know" your customer from a bank's perspective is baloney, they only know your identity so as to be able to recoup future funds

5. The Patriot Act was a great cover for the implemented "know" the account holder regulations, and exploited here. mainly because the public is gullible enough to fall for the spoon fed "Patriotic" fight against "terrorism".

6. Prior to all this new "security" theater, a check written would be received at the depositing bank, and then physically went thru the Federal Reserve Banking system, and was "cleared" after it was received at the check writer's bank.

9. EVERY check received at the check writers bank overnight was stamped "PAID" and the correct amount was deducted from the account.

10 The next morning, any accounts overdrawn, mostly had checks marked "paid" were removed as needed to make account no longer overdrawn, stamped again "Payment canceled", the amount returned to the over drawn account, and then physically returned to originating bank.

11. That process took time and effort, and why the banking day used to end at 2:00pm

12. it was hard to achieve over long distances and put banks at risk with their arbitrary check clearing deadlines and funds holds.

13. It was also costly and inefficient, including normal stop payment protection, discovering postdated checks, fraud signatures, etc

14. Technology created new solutions.

I15. It became possible to electronically within seconds to pay processed checks and move funds nationally.

16. The banking advantage was, they could still place limited holds on funds, and collect interest during the hold, even though the funds had been withdrawn from the check writers account.

17. A further advantage was they no longer needed to physically transport a check or stamp it paid.

18. Bank customers no longer receive a physical PAID check in their monthly mailed statements anymore.

19. In days past, the Bank could no longer reverse payment on a check not in their possession

20. Any check now can be returned electronically at ANYTIME thereafter

21. The concept of checks "clearing" no longer exists

22. What in reality happens today is checks only get returned whenever needed

23. In the future, if any previous check is returned and your account becomes overdrawn, they want to be able to find you and get paid.

24. They don't care who you are as any primary concern.

Re: who been scamed on a part [Re: jcc] #3214447
02/18/24 08:39 PM
02/18/24 08:39 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by jcc

Well consider this:

1. Anybody can be a VP at a bank

2. No VP is ever going against Government regulations and Corporate dogma in the slightest way

3. Government and the banking industry are in total lockstep on writing new regulations that serves both THEIR purposes, first and foremost.

4. The concept of "know" your customer from a bank's perspective is baloney, they only know your identity so as to be able to recoup future funds

5. The Patriot Act was a great cover for the implemented "know" the account holder regulations, and exploited here. mainly because the public is gullible enough to fall for the spoon fed "Patriotic" fight against "terrorism".

6. Prior to all this new "security" theater, a check written would be received at the depositing bank, and then physically went thru the Federal Reserve Banking system, and was "cleared" after it was received at the check writer's bank.

9. EVERY check received at the check writers bank overnight was stamped "PAID" and the correct amount was deducted from the account.

10 The next morning, any accounts overdrawn, mostly had checks marked "paid" were removed as needed to make account no longer overdrawn, stamped again "Payment canceled", the amount returned to the over drawn account, and then physically returned to originating bank.

11. That process took time and effort, and why the banking day used to end at 2:00pm

12. it was hard to achieve over long distances and put banks at risk with their arbitrary check clearing deadlines and funds holds.

13. It was also costly and inefficient, including normal stop payment protection, discovering postdated checks, fraud signatures, etc

14. Technology created new solutions.

I15. It became possible to electronically within seconds to pay processed checks and move funds nationally.

16. The banking advantage was, they could still place limited holds on funds, and collect interest during the hold, even though the funds had been withdrawn from the check writers account.

17. A further advantage was they no longer needed to physically transport a check or stamp it paid.

18. Bank customers no longer receive a physical PAID check in their monthly mailed statements anymore.

19. In days past, the Bank could no longer reverse payment on a check not in their possession

20. Any check now can be returned electronically at ANYTIME thereafter

21. The concept of checks "clearing" no longer exists

22. What in reality happens today is checks only get returned whenever needed

23. In the future, if any previous check is returned and your account becomes overdrawn, they want to be able to find you and get paid.

24. They don't care who you are as any primary concern..

It's amazing how some can wear a tin foil hat while their head is in their nether regions.

Kudos to you

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3