05/18/09 09:17 AM
05/18/09 09:17 AM
Spring, Texas
RedFish Offline OP
super street
RedFish  Offline OP
super street

Spring, Texas
Trying to chase down the leaks on my 727 and from what I can see there are at lease two area's that are leaking. One is around the selector shaft and the other is from the kickdown band adjustment nut. Is there a washer or something that keeps the kickdown adjustment from leaking? How would I go about stoping that leak? It also looks like the front cooler line is leaking at the fitting. I noticed a little o ring on that fitting. Does anyone know what size or where to get a new one of those?

Thanks,

Howard

You don't stop playing games when you get old, You get old when you stop playing games.
Re: Need some help on my leaky 727 [Re: RedFish] #321428
05/18/09 09:53 AM
05/18/09 09:53 AM
florida
74fldart Offline
enthusiast
74fldart  Offline
enthusiast

florida
howard, the shifter shaft seal can be replaced with trans in car, but its not real easy, of course the valve body has to be dropped and you can use a socket and bolt and nuts to pull a new one into place , there is a tool made for it, i think kd makes it.

now the trans cooler lines dont have a provision for an o ring to seal, some one might have tried putting an oring on the fitting but it really isnt the way to seal it. you have to take the fitting out of the case and use pipe dope, thread sealnt, teflon tape, etc. to to it right, or you can try snugging it up a little . as far as the kickdown adjustment , use teflon tape on the threads to seal it.

Re: Need some help on my leaky 727 [Re: 74fldart] #321429
05/18/09 10:32 AM
05/18/09 10:32 AM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
I use the black MOPAR atf/rtv and use it on the threds of the kd adjuster

also use it on the brass fitting for the lines going in the case

a jack bolt works good on the shaft seal,and yes,the vb has to be droped,watch for the acumlator spring falling out

also clean up the outside part of the selector shaft before putting it back up in the new seal,IMO

I would also get one of the new style pan gaskets from the dealer,they dont leak and are reusable

dont over tighten the bolts with the newer gasket it does not compress and will pull about 1/2 the bolt threds out...a longer bolt or heli coil for the fix

I also use the mopar atf/rtv on the o-ring for the dip tube to seal it up nice

IMO if the is an o-ring on the tranny line fitting..some one has changed the fittings..or put it on a stock fitting which will not work and leak

or its a new style line and fitting I have not seen yet

check the lever shaft end at the tail shaft,,they will leak there also

dont forget there are 2 seals for the selector shaft and one for the throttle pressure valve in the shaft of the vb

o-ring and 2 small seals for the speedo gear as well

IMO I replace all the out side seals at the same time when possiable

I clean with brake clean and throw a hand full of baby powder up on the selctor shaft area to help locate the leaks,works good and show the slow weeping on small leaks

good luck

Re: Need some help on my leaky 727 [Re: scratchnfotraction] #321430
05/18/09 11:18 AM
05/18/09 11:18 AM
Spring, Texas
RedFish Offline OP
super street
RedFish  Offline OP
super street

Spring, Texas
Thanks everyone. I did not think there was a o ring on the cooler line fittng, someone must have put one on there. I suppose that when I pull the kickdown adjuster out to seal it I would just count the number of turns and install back the same number? The jury is still out on the selector shaft leak, I cant really tell if the it's the shaft or just the leak from the kickdown adjuster pooling up at the selector shaft. I'll fix the first two and use the baby powder trick after that.

Re: Need some help on my leaky 727 [Re: RedFish] #321431
05/18/09 03:10 PM
05/18/09 03:10 PM
Kissimmee Fl.
D
dusturbd340W5 Offline
master
dusturbd340W5  Offline
master
D

Kissimmee Fl.
if you can get the KD tool you do not have to remove the VB or pan for that fact.

70 duster full chassis super pro 416 CNC Indybrock heads 727 w/brake

best so far 1.212 60 6.219 in 1/8 at 110.88 9.768 at 137.81 1/4
Re: Need some help on my leaky 727 [Re: RedFish] #321432
05/18/09 04:31 PM
05/18/09 04:31 PM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
the vb will have to come down if you remove the adjuster bolt

the wedge and strut flat bar will come out and fall on top of the vb and into the pan if its on there

drop the vb and then remove the adjuster,clean with brake clean,put rtv on the threds,re-install it,

IMO dont bother counting the # of turns,just snug it back down with a 5/16 wrench by hand and back off 2 turns and lock it down

do the same on the rev band adjustment also

then put it back together,thats takes care of the band adjustments the right way

the baby powder works very good after a good cleaning with brake cleaner and give a good looky see at where the leak actually is

I would suggest droping the vb to do the seal and the throttle pressure valve seal

if your not carfull takeing the e-clip off the shaft with the rooster comb will slide down in the vb and detent ball will pop out on ya making for a real headache..DAMHIK

just better to do this on the bench and with glasses if your like me

if you want to use a torque wrench it takes an 8 point 5/16 socket 1/4 drive and pull it down to 72 inch pounds and back off 2 turns..same for the rev band

72 inch pound would be 6 foot pounds IIRC

not hard and most likely could use a band adjustment anyways

sparay with brake clean and dry with air hose throw the powder on and looky see the next day before you start,IMO is the first step trouble shooting the leaks

sounds like the pump line could be leaking its right above the adjuster and selector shaft seal

FYI..

I would do the line and brass fitting first,I have seen them crack and leak at the base of the fitting,then break off when the wrench got on it,used a square easy out to remove the brass nub from the case

Re: Need some help on my leaky 727 [Re: dusturbd340W5] #321433
05/18/09 06:59 PM
05/18/09 06:59 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Quote:

if you can get the KD tool you do not have to remove the VB or pan for that fact.

I used a similar tool to replace mine a while back.

No need to even pull off the pan.

seal remover

seal remover with old seal

installing seal with c clamp and seal installer

Last edited by HealthServices; 05/18/09 07:12 PM.
Re: Need some help on my leaky 727 [Re: HealthServices] #321434
05/18/09 07:28 PM
05/18/09 07:28 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Before the seal change...

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: Need some help on my leaky 727 [Re: HealthServices] #321435
05/18/09 08:48 PM
05/18/09 08:48 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOOc Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOOc  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
In my experience .. the reason why the seal on the selector shaft fails ... is corrosion on the shaft itself. If you put a new seal on a corroded shaft .. that corrosion will chew-up that seal in short order.

In order to clean-that-up well .. you need to pull the valve body and buff the shaft with a fine wire brush.

Re: Need some help on my leaky 727 [Re: HealthServices] #321436
05/19/09 09:08 AM
05/19/09 09:08 AM
Spring, Texas
RedFish Offline OP
super street
RedFish  Offline OP
super street

Spring, Texas
Pull the vb, don't pull the vb, pull the vb don't pull..

I appreciate everyones help. HealthServices, did you get those before pics from under my tranny. I guess I'll try with the easy stuff first and see where all the leaks are coming from. Only problem with pulling the vb is that I would just spend more money and put a better shift kit in it also.

Quote:

just better to do this on the bench and with glasses if your like me

Yes I can relate, I hate getting older.

Re: Need some help on my leaky 727 [Re: HealthServices] #321437
05/19/09 10:29 AM
05/19/09 10:29 AM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
heath services, forget the leak....

I would be more worried about the adjuster being on the last few threds

that means no more bands

and a waste of a new seal,IMO

thats the first thng I looks at when looking at a tranny,before I do anything to it

I also go by that adjuster when the are from a jy and on the floor for sale

no threds...no worky....

oil leaks and tranny leaks slow the floor rusting on my junk and keeps me stimulating the econome one qrt at a time

good luck which every way you duz it,