Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer

USA
I like corned beef a lot.

This article explained many details about corned beef I had no inkling of:

https://www.aol.com/news/cook-corned-beef-recipe-plus-110422095.html

sample quote

According to the History Channel, Irish immigrants in New York City learned about corned beef from their Jewish neighbors and adopted it instead of Irish bacon, a costly but traditional food. Cabbage got tacked onto the meal because it was abundant, cheap and bulked up the stew pot with other vegetables. The meal gained popularity in the New York bar scene because it was offered as a “free lunch” to Irish construction workers if they bought beers or shots of whiskey.

“I don’t know anybody who serves corned beef in Ireland on St. Patrick’s Day,” Myrtle Allen, the famed Irish chef often credited with “the revolution in Irish food,” told the Washington Post in 1996. Corned beef is “no more Irish than roast chicken,” she said.
...snip...

Food Network recommends making the brine yourself with water, pickling spices (mustard seeds, peppercorns, cloves, allspice, juniper berries, bay leaves and red pepper flakes), sugar, kosher salt and pink curing salt. Pink curing salt is regular table salt with sodium nitrate and is used to preserve meats.

Bring the brine mixture to a boil and simmer until the sugar dissolves and let it cool. Pour the mixture into a bag with the brisket and seal it as tightly as possible. Leave it in the fridge for five to seven days, flipping it over every other day.

The meat can be cooked in a cast iron Dutch oven at a low temperature.

end quote

Re: Like Corned Beef? [Re: 360view] #3212982
02/12/24 10:42 AM
02/12/24 10:42 AM
Star Idaho
67vertman Offline
master
67vertman  Offline
master

Star Idaho
I like it a lot too.

I brine my own. To really bring in the flavor I add some Star Anise along with the other herbs.

Great Article, thanks for sharing. up

My Monster are real!

Living within your means makes life pretty easy.