I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by jcc
So tire wear is mostly controlled by driving habits, accelerating, cornering and stopping, steady speed tire wear is not greatly affected by vehicle weight.

no offense but wrong.
The number one factor is the load, the weight. As you put more weight on a tire, it's going to wear out faster.

Ok, I offended, now can you back up your claim that my comment in red above is "wrong"? I omitted the word "level" above since climbing up or down a mountain for instance at a steady speed would elevate tire wear if load was increased, as a Florida resident forgive me, that is the exception here.
You also know a tire sitting there with or without a load will suffer the same wear, none, until it is driven, right?

read the LINKY article in my post, I'll post it again wink LINKY CLICK HERE beer

Re: Tires on heavy EV’s wear out faster [Re: jcc] #3210398
02/04/24 01:00 AM
02/04/24 01:00 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by jcc
All an interesting antidotal read, but I am unconvinced there is even a correlation between EV tire wear claims and the stories shared above regarding tire temps, overloaded coal trucks off road, 2 mph speed increases, and grandfather stories from a time tire tread technology still had brand names as their tread patterns. grin

lol I guess you know more than the rest of the world. Loading makes a huge difference. Always. And he’s right spot on about the coal stuff. Leonard Lawson made a kings ransom building roads over and over and I’m sure the coal sticker for running over 80k was his idea slipped to a bought and paid for gubnor.

I want my fair share
Re: Tires on heavy EV’s wear out faster [Re: 360view] #3210525
02/04/24 03:55 PM
02/04/24 03:55 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA

Needs fact checking and or BS checking but supposedly most of the info is from the "sponsoring" tire manufacture. Just FYI and I posted this in another thread so we can continue the catfight argue wink

Re: Tires on heavy EV’s wear out faster [Re: A12] #3210538
02/04/24 04:26 PM
02/04/24 04:26 PM
USA
360view Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Good explanations in video.

Could not spot any deliberate “spin.”

( haha - spin - when subject is tire related)

Maybe those South Korean 155 mm rounds are “a blast” to fire off ?

Re: Tires on heavy EV’s wear out faster [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3210543
02/04/24 04:34 PM
02/04/24 04:34 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Originally Posted by jcc
All an interesting antidotal read, but I am unconvinced there is even a correlation between EV tire wear claims and the stories shared above regarding tire temps, overloaded coal trucks off road, 2 mph speed increases, and grandfather stories from a time tire tread technology still had brand names as their tread patterns. grin

lol I guess you know more than the rest of the world. Loading makes a huge difference. Always. And he’s right spot on about the coal stuff. Leonard Lawson made a kings ransom building roads over and over and I’m sure the coal sticker for running over 80k was his idea slipped to a bought and paid for gubnor.

Maybe I'm not as gullible, or I have never read about an EV overloaded with coal driven off road.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Tires on heavy EV’s wear out faster [Re: 360view] #3210562
02/04/24 05:15 PM
02/04/24 05:15 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by 360view
Good explanations in video.

Could not spot any deliberate “spin.”

( haha - spin - when subject is tire related)

Maybe those South Korean 155 mm rounds are “a blast” to fire off ?

Spin or propaganda is simplistically defined as: "The Intentional selective use or distortion of facts with the primary purpose to sway, alter, or change another's opinion or position of the matter at hand,"

I watched the video and mainly focused on tire wear aspects mentioned, The only thing that caught my eye was the selective aspect, and the intentional part would hard to proven if even true.
That being said, keeping in mind my original claim stated here a couple of times "tire wear is mostly controlled by driving habits, accelerating, cornering and stopping, steady speed tire wear is not greatly affected by vehicle weight." was never addressed directly in the video.
What was touched on in the video was that a heavier vehicle of any design can have greater tire wear accelerating, stopping and cornering, or what can be called "driving habits". I can't speak for anyone else, but I would guess less than 2% mileage wise of my driving is accelerating, stopping or cornering.
It was also mentioned but not followed up that alleged EV's have narrower tires for less aero resistance, logic would suggest they comparably would wear faster by being narrower,
It was clearly noted that EV have greater instant torque, controlled by the "gas pedal", again a driving habit. It was also mentioned a EV tire with the greater weight must be able to handle a panic stop, which would incur greater tire wear in an EV, but still a driving habit related. I can't remember making a panic stop in or say 75K? miles.
I also submit if one accelerates with nearly the same energy in any vehicle of any comparable or greater weight, tire wear will be nearly the same, only the time needed to reach the target speed will differ.

PS My daughter has had a Prius for years, She loves it and drives the wheels off of the thing, way more aggressive than any petrol past vehicle, and brags about the high mileage.
I wonder with the very low COG and inherent less body roll, they develop less sense of their cornering speeds?

Last edited by jcc; 02/04/24 05:36 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Tires on heavy EV’s wear out faster [Re: jcc] #3210700
02/04/24 10:43 PM
02/04/24 10:43 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by jcc

Maybe I'm not as gullible, or I have never read about an EV overloaded with coal driven off road.

Nope, you just muck up threads with your rhetoric for no reason, here insinuating you know some engineering trivia the rest of the world does not. Pretty much spot on for your behavior, which has been noted here and on at least one other forum- by a jury of your peers. I have no idea how you got to an ev being loaded with coal, I do award you points for the most tortured nonsense I’ve seen posted on the internet so far this year.

I want my fair share
Re: Tires on heavy EV’s wear out faster [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3210722
02/05/24 12:47 AM
02/05/24 12:47 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by jcc

Nope, you just muck up threads with your rhetoric for no reason, here insinuating you know some engineering trivia the rest of the world does not. Pretty much spot on for your behavior, which has been noted here and on at least one other forum- by a jury of your peers. I have no idea how you got to an ev being loaded with coal, I do award you points for the most tortured nonsense I’ve seen posted on the internet so far this year.

So we agree then, I'm maybe less gullible then others, while we are off topic? LOL
Sorry you can't figure out my reason, even when its right in front of you.

Re: Tires on heavy EV’s wear out faster [Re: 360view] #3210743
02/05/24 07:30 AM
02/05/24 07:30 AM
USA
360view Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer

USA
WSJ editorial Monday:
Now the Climateers Want Your Tires.

In a nutshell,
they want the power to ban any tire that does not meet what they judge is “lowest rolling resistance.”

This could ban snow tires, mudder tires, maximum cornering tires, etc

What could possibly go wrong......

Re: Tires on heavy EV’s wear out faster [Re: 360view] #3210755
02/05/24 09:50 AM
02/05/24 09:50 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
if they want my old snow, mudder, slick tires, they will have to pry them off my cold dead wheels............ biggrin
beer

Re: Tires on heavy EV’s wear out faster [Re: 360view] #3210840
02/05/24 02:50 PM
02/05/24 02:50 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX

Okay, here's my PROFESSIONAL experience with EVs.

As some of you may know, I'm a parts manager for a Volvo/Polestar dealership. I see the bill for every tire we sell.

EV tires are not selling appreciably faster than ICE tires.

Yes, 15,000 to 20,000 is real. That's better than what you get out of many cars. Mercedes cars with similar performance spec tires won't make it 15,000 miles. Most AMGs are done around 12,000.

Yes, heavier vehicles wear tires quicker than lighter cars. BUT....

Drivers using their brakes to slow the cars at the last moment wear their tires quicker than more gradual brakers. Many EV drivers use regen braking (one pedal drive) and that prolongs both tire and brake life. It's a gentler braking cycle.

As for driving an EV, I drove a Polestar 2 Performance Pack car for a week. I was easily able to keep up with my daily consumption using a 110 charge cable. I work 12 miles from home, drive to lunch every day, and ran errands after work.
I specifically used the 110 to test worse case common use.

I think the range anxiety issues come from seeing the remaining range in numbers instead of a gas gauge display. Seeing a number changes your perception.

Is an EV for me?

No. I'll keep my 620 hp V12.

Is an EV for you?

That's for you to decide.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Tires on heavy EV’s wear out faster [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3210846
02/05/24 03:46 PM
02/05/24 03:46 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Originally Posted by jcc

JCC fits into the "common sense is not so common anymore" category... work

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Tires on heavy EV’s wear out faster [Re: Rhinodart] #3211003
02/05/24 10:58 PM
02/05/24 10:58 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Originally Posted by jcc

JCC fits into the "common sense is not so common anymore" category... work

Are we still talking about Grandpa's off road over loaded coal trucks tire wear?

Re: Tires on heavy EV’s wear out faster [Re: A12] #3212001
02/08/24 03:21 PM
02/08/24 03:21 PM
USA
360view Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer

USA
https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-ev-tires-differ-from-regular-tires-1851217581

sample quote

Bridgestone’s Senior Product Manager Brad Robison says the company’s internal testing shows that EVs “go through a set of tires roughly 30-40 percent more quickly than their comparable ICE counterparts.” This is because of factors like EVs extra weight, power and torque. It doesn’t seem that they actually have a way to stop this from happening, but they hope they can slow it down. To combat premature wear, Robison says Bridgestone developed PeakLife. PeakLife is described as a polymer that can both extend tread life and “deliver lower levels of rolling resistance to help increase vehicle range.”

“We see a bonding rate with silica of roughly 50 percent compared with perhaps 20 percent on conventional polymers,” Robison said. You can find this tech on the company’s aforementioned Turanza EV tire.

Other tire manufacturers more or less said the same thing.

Pirelli said that there are a few things that make a tire EV-specific, like being made with different compounds for low rolling resistance and a quieter ride. They pointed me to the company’s P Zero All Season Plus with their Elect marking. They market tires with “Elect” as being specifically developed for “high performance electric and plug-in vehicles,” supposedly able to handle high torque loads and the extra weight of EVs.

Sometimes though it was hard to get someone to explain to me just what makes a tire EV specific. Michelin’s Technical Communications Director Russell Shepherd told me the brand currently sells one EV-specific tire in the U.S. in the Pilot Sport EV. Cool, but again, what makes them EV-specific? I got an around-the-way answer that really said nothing.

The Michelin Pilot Sport EV tire is a product specifically developed for OE high-performance EV fitments. This experience confirmed our understanding of the EV tire market: Consumers of EVs have similar needs to ICE tires, quite tire, efficient, traction and with performances that last.

You don’t actually have to have an EV tire for an EV. In fact, regular tires might be a better option for your EV as Tire Rack found in their testing of EV tires.

Not only can you use an ICE tire on an EV, in many cases, it may be a preferable option. EV tires have specific characteristics to carry the vehicle load and achieve the best possible range per charge, but in many cases, we’ve found the loss in range to be minor compared to ICE tires, and the potential advantages in other characteristics like wet braking or winter performance, to be worth the exchange.

end quote

Page 2 of 2 1 2