02/01/24 10:48 AM
02/01/24 10:48 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline OP
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline OP
I Live Here

North Dakota
My shipment of AMD sheet metal was being shipped truck freight. I followed the PRO number every day so I could be prepared and Monday allegedly it was in Kansas City, MO. So I was shocked when my lovely wife asks "what's Midwest Motor Express doing parted outside our house?" Then in three-two-one the phone rings: it's the driver. "I'm at your house". Truly a Captain Obvious moment.

So I get outside and the driver already has the pallet on the pallet jack and is descending with the pallet on the liftgate. Then this is the way the conversation went:

Driver: Where do you want this?
Me: Just put it against the curb, I'll take care of it later,
(Driver drops pallet on street)
Driver: I need you to sign for this.
Me: I want to unwrap everything and check for concealed damage.
Driver: I don't have time for that.
(Driver now puts pallet jack back in truck and closes door)
Driver: I need a signature.
(Driver gets in cab and is there about five minutes and then returns)
Driver: I still need a signature accepting the delivery.
Me: Look, until we check for hidden damage, you aren't getting a signature, period.
(Driver goes back to cab and leaves)

So I unwrap everything, thank God nothing was damaged and go in the house. Wife says "Midwest Motor just called and wanted to know why you wouldn't sign for the shipment" ???????

What is so grating about this is that if the driver had simply said "sure, let's do it" it would have taken LESS total time AND he would have gotten his signature. Unbelievable.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Rant On: Truck Freight [Re: 6PakBee] #3209733
02/01/24 10:56 AM
02/01/24 10:56 AM
Newburgh, NY
Old_Moparz Offline
master
Old_Moparz  Offline
master

Newburgh, NY
There's probably a sub category in Murphy's Law for this....LoL

Re: Rant On: Truck Freight [Re: Old_Moparz] #3209744
02/01/24 11:47 AM
02/01/24 11:47 AM
St. Louis, Mo
318 Stroker Offline
master
318 Stroker  Offline
master

St. Louis, Mo
Ah, the joys of dealing with an LTL (Less Than a Load) trucking companies... down I've been using them for years at my job. They can screw up a 1 car parade... grin

Re: Rant On: Truck Freight [Re: 318 Stroker] #3209750
02/01/24 12:15 PM
02/01/24 12:15 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
union

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: Rant On: Truck Freight [Re: 6PakBee] #3209769
02/01/24 01:51 PM
02/01/24 01:51 PM
Central Michigan
N
nuthinbutmopar Offline
super stock
nuthinbutmopar  Offline
super stock
N

Central Michigan
When I worked for the City, we ordered a LARGE 1-piece glass door for a wide-area mower cab. UPS shows up one day with 15 or so packages (about normal) and last thing off the truck is a LARGE box with the corners all smashed and crumbles of safety glass leaking out. I told the driver I was refusing delivery of that because it was obviously damaged:

Driver: You have to take it then file a claim if there's damage.
Me: Nope, we can both see it's broken, and I'm not accepting it.
Driver: It doesn't work like that, you have to take it.
Me: Then load it ALL back up, because we're not accepting anything.

Amazingly enough, he found a way to do it so we could refuse delivery on just the one item.

I took pictures of the glass falling out of the box and sent them to the shipper, and they shipped another the following day.

Re: Rant On: Truck Freight [Re: 318 Stroker] #3209843
02/01/24 05:29 PM
02/01/24 05:29 PM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
Originally Posted by 318 Stroker
Ah, the joys of dealing with an LTL (Less Than a Load) trucking companies... down I've been using them for years at my job. They can screw up a 1 car parade... grin

The company I work for was showing some distributors around a distribution center. Showing how the pallets were wrapped and how much was done to prevent transit damage. Then they took the distributors to an XPO cross dock(where the real damage occurs). During the tour of the facility there was a full on forklift crash, two of them smashed into each other bigtime. The person guiding them through didn't even flinch or acknowledge what just happened, just proceeded on like nothing was going on lol. This company has spent millions and millions to start handling our own distribution and going to a dedicated fleet cutting most of the LTL stuff was a big driver in that.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: Rant On: Truck Freight [Re: Bad340fish] #3210212
02/03/24 10:35 AM
02/03/24 10:35 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
It helps to read the trucking companies policies before having anything shipped. If there is something damaged you won't be arguing over it when it arrives. You also have to consider the driver has other stops and he doesn't know if inspecting the item is going to take 2 minutes or a half hour. You are lucky they had a lift gate and deliver to a residential address, Some do not.

Re: Rant On: Truck Freight [Re: Moparite] #3210219
02/03/24 11:09 AM
02/03/24 11:09 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline OP
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline OP
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by Moparite
It helps to read the trucking companies policies before having anything shipped. If there is something damaged you won't be arguing over it when it arrives. You also have to consider the driver has other stops and he doesn't know if inspecting the item is going to take 2 minutes or a half hour. You are lucky they had a lift gate and deliver to a residential address, Some do not.

All good points, BUT:

1) The last entry in the PRO number history was with the company who picked up the shipment. The actual company who delivered it was different so I have no idea how I could have read the delivering company's policies on damage.
2) I realize the driver has a schedule but in this case he wasted more time arguing with me than it took me working by myself to unwramp and inspect the shipment. If he was so concerned with time a simple question like "how much time do you think it will take" would have gone a long way. But he was fixated on leaving and it was obvious I was not going to change his mind.
3) The delivery was to a residential address. The trucking firm knew in advance it was a residential address. How would they expect anyone at a residential address to unload without a liftgate? Had he shown up in a trailer without a liftgate he would have taken the shipment back to the terminal.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Rant On: Truck Freight [Re: 6PakBee] #3210225
02/03/24 11:23 AM
02/03/24 11:23 AM
N.W. Florida
F
Fat_Mike Offline
master
Fat_Mike  Offline
master
F

N.W. Florida
Some people work harder at not working than just getting the job done...whatever it takes. ...and I don't see it as a generational thing.

Re: Rant On: Truck Freight [Re: Fat_Mike] #3210237
02/03/24 12:11 PM
02/03/24 12:11 PM
Loudoun County, VA
Brad_Haak Offline
super stock
Brad_Haak  Offline
super stock

Loudoun County, VA
Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
Some people work harder at not working than just getting the job done...whatever it takes. ...and I don't see it as a generational thing.

Yes they do, and no it's not

2021 Challenger 6.4L Scat Pack 1320
100% stock: 1.680, 11.894 at 113.75 (DA 175 ft)
weight reduction, wheels, tires, Hellcat air box: 1.661, 11.686 at 115.97 (DA 710 ft)

1973 Challenger 452 ci street/strip [2008]
pump gas, DOT radials: 1.454, 10.523 at 126.44 (DA 514 ft)
Re: Rant On: Truck Freight [Re: 6PakBee] #3210356
02/03/24 09:27 PM
02/03/24 09:27 PM
Md.
C
carnut68 Offline
master
carnut68  Offline
master
C

Md.
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
My shipment of AMD sheet metal was being shipped truck freight. I followed the PRO number every day so I could be prepared and Monday allegedly it was in Kansas City, MO. So I was shocked when my lovely wife asks "what's Midwest Motor Express doing parted outside our house?" Then in three-two-one the phone rings: it's the driver. "I'm at your house". Truly a Captain Obvious moment.

So I get outside and the driver already has the pallet on the pallet jack and is descending with the pallet on the liftgate. Then this is the way the conversation went:

Driver: Where do you want this?
Me: Just put it against the curb, I'll take care of it later,
(Driver drops pallet on street)
Driver: I need you to sign for this.
(Driver now puts pallet jack back in truck and closes door)
Driver: I need a signature.
(Driver gets in cab and is there about five minutes and then returns)
Driver: I still need a signature accepting the delivery.
Me: Look, until we check for hidden damage, you aren't getting a signature, period.
(Driver goes back to cab and leaves)

So I unwrap everything, thank God nothing was damaged and go in the house. Wife says "Midwest Motor just called and wanted to know why you wouldn't sign for the shipment" ???????

What is so grating about this is that if the driver had simply said "sure, let's do it" it would have taken LESS total time AND he would have gotten his signature. Unbelievable.

I drive for an LTL Carrier and that driver was wrong. Then he lied. If it's just a couple cartons we prefer you to check them. Different story if it's dozens of cartons.

America First!