USA
V
VS29H0B Offline
pro stock
VS29H0B  Offline
pro stock
V

USA
From Chicago to New York City in a Tesla ... fugettaboutit ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI24gjDr8TI

Like the women I have dated --- Always looking for a better deal ....
Re: Real world EV range tests [Re: AndyF] #3202866
01/06/24 10:35 PM
01/06/24 10:35 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by AndyF
A steady 70 mph on the freeway will drain the battery for sure. I've been driving EVs for years now and they are perfect cars for running errands around town. Low maintenance, low cost if you buy the right ones, cheap to charge up if you live in the right spot of the world, etc.
But driving fast on the freeway will drain the battery fast. And so will accelerating up a steep hill!

Very much like RC cars/trucks. I play with RCs. EVs are just big RCs...many of the same components with different names and many of the same characteristics.

Great for short quick trips....not so great for long fast trips. Charge them to fast or for to long...not good. Run the batt to low for to long...not good. To hot or to cold...not good.

The tech is close but not quite there...it works for some people not for others. It works in some parts of the country/world...not in others. That's the beauty of ICE....works almost everywhere. Idiots in Washington can't seem to understand that!

Re: Real world EV range tests [Re: Dcuda69] #3202879
01/07/24 01:03 AM
01/07/24 01:03 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Correct. EV at the moment work great in moderate climates. They work best for short trips and they are best suited as a second or third car for someone who has a garage where the EV can be stored and charged overnight. This is a fairly restrictive list but roughly 50% of my neighbors have EV cars and they all love them.

However, they aren't a great choice for anyone who doesn't have off street parking, or as an only car, or for someone who drives a ton of miles, etc.

Re: Real world EV range tests [Re: AndyF] #3202880
01/07/24 01:23 AM
01/07/24 01:23 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline OP
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline OP
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
We could use one for my wife to go to work. Parked next to the gas guzzler that does all the heavy lifting. Fine that they are on the market, I just shouldn’t have to put money in ev company pockets via subsidies that just raise the price by the subsidy amount. If you will pay x, you will pay x just the same if uncle same cuts a check for the markup the company puts on to capture the handout and what you’d be willing to pay if there was no gubmint cheese in the deal.

Oh and not to mention these things shouldn’t be pushed on us at the barrel of a gun. There’s that coming soon enough.

I want my fair share
Re: Real world EV range tests [Re: AndyF] #3202881
01/07/24 01:25 AM
01/07/24 01:25 AM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Back when I was still an electric lift truck tech they were just starting the fast chargers. Customers loved them until they found out batteries only lasted half as long before they were junk. It was a nightmare for our dealership.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Real world EV range tests [Re: Dcuda69] #3202914
01/07/24 10:39 AM
01/07/24 10:39 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Dcuda69

Great for short quick trips....not so great for long fast trips. Charge them to fast or for to long...not good. Run the batt to low for to long...not good. To hot or to cold...not good.

The tech is close but not quite there...

The tech for the most part, is there. It's just not being implemented.

Battery management schemes are well developed in the UPS industry. What's really hindering the EV market is the environmental conditions. Batteries don't like to be too cold or too warm when in use or being charged. Batteries can be safely fast charged, however the rate for fast charge is not going to be "fast" in layman terms. It'll be "fast" in relation to a slow charge but no where near as fast as pumping 25 gallons of gas into your tank. So they try to crutch it with a fast partial charge and that's where the issue lies. As you approach full charge you have to slow the rate of charging. That last 20% or so takes a while to get.

New battery chemistry is constantly being developed, maybe one day they'll find it but Li-ion isn't it. Better than NiCads though, lol.

Page 2 of 2 1 2