N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
The neutral safety switch, depending the car year and model will be either in the tranny or on the steering collum, the starter relay that activates the starter solenoid from the ignition switch is usually mounted on the firewall scope

If its a manual transmission there is no neutral safety in those years. That terminal is soldered to the starter relay case for a permanent non-switch ground.

Re: Starter relay causing ignition problem [Re: NITROUSN] #3198909
12/20/23 04:24 PM
12/20/23 04:24 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
The neutral safety switch, depending the car year and model will be either in the tranny or on the steering collum, the starter relay that activates the starter solenoid from the ignition switch is usually mounted on the firewall scope

If its a manual transmission there is no neutral safety in those years. That terminal is soldered to the starter relay case for a permanent non-switch ground.

If talking bout the 74 OP’s truck, the manual transmission gets the ground but coming from clutch pedal switch instead the NSS. The pedal ground for manual transmissions began on 70 as far I recall. Not anymore soldered ground to relay chassis.

Anyway, the OP’s problem is not related to relay or NSS/clutch pedal ground

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: Starter relay causing ignition problem [Re: NachoRT74] #3198913
12/20/23 04:29 PM
12/20/23 04:29 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
To the OP:

You need to check for voltage at +lead of coil when your car dies. If not voltage, it can be anything of what was mentioned… ballast resistor, bulkhead, ign switch, ign switch plug down the column.

If you still get voltage, it could be coil itself, pickup coil into the dist, or ECU.

Sharing a similar experience I had long time ago… couple of times when engine stalled I found shaking the distributor pickup plug it started again. It was a bad contact somehwre between plugs or pickup coil pigtail. The pickup coil itself was good but maybe the wires into the molded plug were broken/loosen. Didn’t replaced the pickup coil but just the plug.

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: Starter relay causing ignition problem [Re: NachoRT74] #3198997
12/20/23 10:15 PM
12/20/23 10:15 PM
SW Fla.
CYACOP Offline
master
CYACOP  Offline
master

SW Fla.
Sounds like the pickup coil to me too. They are very intermittent when failing BUT the good side is they are cheap, easy to install and you should keep a spare around anyway.

Re: Starter relay causing ignition problem [Re: NachoRT74] #3199035
12/21/23 02:21 AM
12/21/23 02:21 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Originally Posted by NachoRT74

If talking bout the 74 OP’s truck, the manual transmission gets the ground but coming from clutch pedal switch instead the NSS. The pedal ground for manual transmissions began on 70 as far I recall. Not anymore soldered ground to relay chassis.

iagree scope
My 1970 Barracuda 383 4 speed car had that switch, same thing on my 1970 Dodge Challenge T/A 4 speed car and my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T V code 4 speed car shruggy

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Starter relay causing ignition problem [Re: Cab_Burge] #3199057
12/21/23 09:31 AM
12/21/23 09:31 AM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Originally Posted by NachoRT74

iagree scope
My 1970 Barracuda 383 4 speed car had that switch, same thing on my 1970 Dodge Challenge T/A 4 speed car and my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T V code 4 speed car shruggy

Trucks are a different story. They did not have a NSS up through the 80's. However this is irrelevant in the posters case as it will not cause the issues he has.

Page 2 of 2 1 2