12/11/23 10:10 AM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
Fast68,

Thanks for posting that thread about the modded 340 intake. I envisioned something similar for the thermoquad. I think the thing holding that design back is it needs a much larger plenum (both vertically from the carb and then the Horizontal 'Barrel' below) and it needs a much smoother angled transition from the plenum to the roof of the runners. That sharp edged 90 degree transition is going to kill flow and make the A/F really wonky trying to hold anything in suspension....how close can we model the shape and cross sectional area of a known good flowing single plane beneath the OEM casting?

But I gotta say I really applaud the tremendous effort that went into it!!

I remember talking with Tom Cannon years ago at I think it was the FAST event at the mopar nats in like 2004(?) that I thought a 71-72 TQ auto duster or Demon 340 would have a big advantage over a six pack cuda. Even if the total HP was a little down from the 6 pack the combo would have a huge advantage in much lighter weight, aerodynamics ( The challenger has one of the worst grille frontal areas....compared the Duster having one of the best, and the phenomenal natural weight transfer of the short front/long rear overhang of the duster. I think it's amazing to see that Duster going 10.30's ....but I'm really not surprised it's the quickest non-hemi Mopar combination.

I guess the best way to test and tune your FAST combination is to run your best "legal" combo and then swap on a known "good" manifold (like a Street dominator or a performer RPM) and see how much potential ET your really giving up...then grind and tune the manifold to try to close the gap as much as possible.

Last edited by Streetwize; 12/11/23 10:16 AM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: Intake porting? [Re: Streetwize] #3196645
12/11/23 11:21 AM
12/11/23 11:21 AM
Chesterfield Twp. Mi.
J
John Burdine Offline
pro stock
John Burdine  Offline
pro stock
J

Chesterfield Twp. Mi.
I'm curious as to how much Wilson charges for intake porting these days.

Re: Intake porting? [Re: Brad_Haak] #3196658
12/11/23 12:01 PM
12/11/23 12:01 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by Brad_Haak
I wonder if the people who set up F.A.S.T. had any idea the extent to which people would go to build these things... and if it's even in the spirit of the original rules wink

I have a sacrificial 383 intake , I'm wondering if I can remove everything under the very top surface of the upper plenum to paper thin, modify where needed, and epoxy it to a better flowing alum intake. hammer

running up my post count some more .
Re: Intake porting? [Re: Streetwize] #3196659
12/11/23 12:04 PM
12/11/23 12:04 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by Streetwize
Fast68,

Thanks for posting that thread about the modded 340 intake. I envisioned something similar for the thermoquad. I think the thing holding that design back is it needs a much larger plenum (both vertically from the carb and then the Horizontal 'Barrel' below) and it needs a much smoother angled transition from the plenum to the roof of the runners. That sharp edged 90 degree transition is going to kill flow and make the A/F really wonky trying to hold anything in suspension....how close can we model the shape and cross sectional area of a known good flowing single plane beneath the OEM casting?

I remember talking with Tom Cannon years ago at I think it was the FAST event at the mopar nats in like 2004(?) that I thought a 71-72 TQ auto duster or Demon 340 would have a big advantage over a six pack cuda. Even if the total HP was a little down from the 6 pack the combo would have a huge advantage in much lighter weight, aerodynamics ( The challenger has one of the worst grille frontal areas....compared the Duster having one of the best, and the phenomenal natural weight transfer of the short front/long rear overhang of the duster. I think it's amazing to see that Duster going 10.30's ....but I'm really not surprised it's the quickest non-hemi Mopar combination.

I guess the best way to test and tune your FAST combination is to run your best "legal" combo and then swap on a known "good" manifold (like a Street dominator or a performer RPM) and see how much potential ET your really giving up...then grind and tune the manifold to try to close the gap as much as possible.

I thought Ed Cooks max wedge was knocking on a 9.99 ?

Re: Intake porting? [Re: JohnRR] #3196710
12/11/23 02:28 PM
12/11/23 02:28 PM
Loudoun County, VA
Brad_Haak Offline
super stock
Brad_Haak  Offline
super stock

Loudoun County, VA
All this "creativity" makes me want to get a bucket o' Splash Zone epoxy and try to fix (Band-Aid?) my door-stop M1 intake
- bondo
- hammer
- sawzall

2021 Challenger 6.4L Scat Pack 1320
100% stock: 1.680, 11.894 at 113.75 (DA 175 ft)
weight reduction, wheels, tires, Hellcat air box: 1.661, 11.686 at 115.97 (DA 710 ft)

1973 Challenger 452 ci street/strip [2008]
pump gas, DOT radials: 1.454, 10.523 at 126.44 (DA 514 ft)
Re: Intake porting? [Re: JohnRR] #3196858
12/11/23 11:45 PM
12/11/23 11:45 PM
NY
F
F1Scamp Offline
mopar
F1Scamp  Offline
mopar
F

NY
Originally Posted by JohnRR
Fast68,

I thought Ed Cooks max wedge was knocking on a 9.99 ?

Ed went 10.19, he better not be sitting on his hands this winter.. lol
Every minute spent on the intakes on a fast style car is worthwhile. I am so envious of aluminum intakes, welding cast iron is a very steep learning curve, everytime I think I know what I'm doing, the next piece acts completely differently. Knowing what I know now I've started another one this winter.

PXL_20230414_160728408_exported_98_1681488472182.jpg

Work In Progress- 71' Duster F.A.S.T.- 10.36@130 Smallblock Record Holder.
Re: Intake porting? [Re: Brad_Haak] #3196862
12/12/23 12:07 AM
12/12/23 12:07 AM
Minnesota
Hemi_Joel Offline
master
Hemi_Joel  Offline
master

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Brad_Haak
I wonder if the people who set up F.A.S.T. had any idea the extent to which people would go to build these things... and if it's even in the spirit of the original rules wink

Brad, As one of the original members of the F.A.S.T. board of directors, I can tell I had no idea how far this would progress. At the time, we were just breaking into the high 11's, which was unheard of. I thought at the time, and while we were writing the rules, that the tires would be the great equalizer and the major limiting factor. What good is 750 horsepower, when we can't hook 650?

We weren't looking 20 years ahead. We just wanted to race. But the rules and the race format that we came up with has been extremely durable. I don't think any other race series has gone this long with no major rule changes.

Spirit of the rules? This kind of stuff with the manifolds exemplifies the spirit of the rules. As long as it is done legally, using the correct original manifolds, materials, and remains stock appearing after the modifications are done. There are some things being done now, especially by the Corvettes, that I don't think fit the spirit of the rules, and some are blatantly illegal. But I'm staying out of that since I'm no longer involved.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/boeexFms.jpg[/img]
31 Plymouth Coupe, 392 Hemi, T56 magnum
RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
I don't regret the things I've done. I only regret the things I didn't do.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"
Re: Intake porting? [Re: Hemi_Joel] #3196866
12/12/23 12:51 AM
12/12/23 12:51 AM
Minnesota
Hemi_Joel Offline
master
Hemi_Joel  Offline
master

Minnesota
BTW, it anyone wants to check it out, Dave Dudek exposed his version of the FAST Hemi intake on facebook this morning. 1000 hp.

RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"
Re: Intake porting? [Re: F1Scamp] #3196899
12/12/23 09:50 AM
12/12/23 09:50 AM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
The biggest gains (besides obviously increasing the port cross section) one can do to a CONVENTIONAL) dual plane manifold, is to do all you can do to minimize the acute angles in the plenums. On the lower plenum (since you can't see it) I would just grind through them and build them back up with a smoother turn as well as really work the turns from each plenum Half to it's 2 port runners. If you wanted to get really tricky you could drill out and tap for strategically placed npt cast iron pipe plugs for better access to the ports and then grind them smooth and epoxy over them to duplicate to OEM finish once the porting is done.

But I still think testing and tuning against something already good (like a Performer RPM or a 440-2D) to baseline your combo is probably the best way to see how good (or bad) your porting is working and reflect the Potential HP the combo can make.

It is really time consuming and I really 110% respect the devotion these guys have in pursuit of these amazing ET's.

I forgot about the Max Wedges, yeah I would think they might go deep in the 9's with enough cubes and compression, the 60's ports are archaic by today's standards but they didn't run roller cams, gas ported pistons and 2.25" intake valves back then either! Can they run an aftermarket block like the hemis? 4.500 bores?

I still 100% believe FAST combos should be limited to a maximum of .060 over whatever the standard bore size was for the motor the car came with....I guess that cat is long out of the bag by now though.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

In Car:

Re: Intake porting? [Re: F1Scamp] #3196917
12/12/23 10:52 AM
12/12/23 10:52 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by F1Scamp

Every minute spent on the intakes on a fast style car is worthwhile. I am so envious of aluminum intakes, welding cast iron is a very steep learning curve, everytime I think I know what I'm doing, the next piece acts completely differently. Knowing what I know now I've started another one this winter.

What are you welding that with? Everytime I see more of these pictures I see new ways to access areas that can't be reached , your window in the side of the plenum to access that ugly acute angle opposite it. I have a 383 intake that I fully removed the underside of the lower plenum after accidentally cutting thru it when taking off the exhaust crossover passage , I was just going to plate it with a thin piece of sheetmetal .

Re: Intake porting? [Re: Streetwize] #3196918
12/12/23 11:07 AM
12/12/23 11:07 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.

Can they run an aftermarket block like the hemis? 4.500 bores?

I still 100% believe FAST combos should be limited to a maximum of .060 over whatever the standard bore size was for the motor the car came with....I guess that cat is long out of the bag by now though.

They should be able to , the BBC racers are running a Brodix or Dart Block ... whomever is making the GM performance Siamese bore blocks ... to get 560 inches , you can't get anything close to that cubes in a standard 427 block.

I agree, either max it out to a certain bore size within a water block, but I don't think that door will get closed till the sanctioning bodies of the race tracks start requiring them to run all the required safety equipment ... like some of the corvettes now sporting 'chutes on the back of the cars. That totally ruins the look of the class especially if it's not required by the tracks...

Re: Intake porting? [Re: JohnRR] #3196933
12/12/23 11:28 AM
12/12/23 11:28 AM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
John, I agree in principal but I damn sure would want to protect my A$$ and not to mention the huge investment in the vehicle, Can't get mad at the Penningtons or anyone else for running a chute on such a valuable car.

Safety has got to be #1, As Joel said way back in the pioneering days (and I was very honored to be part of it for a time), noone could have ever imagined the kind of speeds the cars would be capable of achieving.

I remember the time at Englishtown when Dave Dudek i think tossed a rod on the big end when he still had the purple challenger, He reeled it in (thank God) but even then a chute might have helped.

If I was still part of it I would have really endorsed and pushed for a '.060 over OEM bore' rule.... if only to keep the parity between brands at least in the same camera frame.

Last edited by Streetwize; 12/12/23 11:32 AM.

WIZE

In Car:

Re: Intake porting? [Re: JohnRR] #3197035
12/12/23 07:36 PM
12/12/23 07:36 PM
NY
F
F1Scamp Offline
mopar
F1Scamp  Offline
mopar
F

NY

What are you welding that with? Everytime I see more of these pictures I see new ways to access areas that can't be reached , your window in the side of the plenum to access that ugly acute angle opposite it. I have a 383 intake that I fully removed the underside of the lower plenum after accidentally cutting thru it when taking off the exhaust crossover passage , I was just going to plate it with a thin piece of sheetmetal .

I used muggywelds rods that I took the coating off and used with a tig welder. I welded about a 1/2" of material to the outside of the worst corners, cut 4 windows and blew through the corners from the inside. I have another intake that is just a outside skin I milled everything out of, and was planning on doing something similar to what Rhet did, but 4 of the runners are so low due to the dual plane platform that there would have to be around a 3/4" upward angle to meet the head. In my mind I couldn't see how that would work so I aborted that project. This years intake I am changing the plenum a good bit and the approach to the runners.

Work In Progress- 71' Duster F.A.S.T.- 10.36@130 Smallblock Record Holder.
Re: Intake porting? [Re: Hemi_Joel] #3197050
12/12/23 08:29 PM
12/12/23 08:29 PM
NW Illinois
M
MoonshineMattK Offline
enthusiast
MoonshineMattK  Offline
enthusiast
M

NW Illinois
Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
BTW, it anyone wants to check it out, Dave Dudek exposed his version of the FAST Hemi intake on facebook this morning. 1000 hp.

Very cool! thank you

Re: Intake porting? [Re: Hemi_Joel] #3197051
12/12/23 08:32 PM
12/12/23 08:32 PM
NW Illinois
M
MoonshineMattK Offline
enthusiast
MoonshineMattK  Offline
enthusiast
M

NW Illinois
[quote=Brad_Haak] There are some things being done now, especially by the Corvettes, that I don't think fit the spirit of the rules, and some are blatantly illegal. But I'm staying out of that since I'm no longer involved.

I watch the Horsepower Depot youtube channel. Are you referring to their cars? Very curious to hear your take on the subject if you can elaborate. I'd love for a HEMI to reclaim the crown. They have to be giving up tremendous weight to a corvette?

Re: Intake porting? [Re: MoonshineMattK] #3197054
12/12/23 08:46 PM
12/12/23 08:46 PM
Minnesota
Hemi_Joel Offline
master
Hemi_Joel  Offline
master

Minnesota
Originally Posted by MoonshineMattK
[quote=Brad_Haak] There are some things being done now, especially by the Corvettes, that I don't think fit the spirit of the rules, and some are blatantly illegal. But I'm staying out of that since I'm no longer involved.

I watch the Horsepower Depot youtube channel. Are you referring to their cars? Very curious to hear your take on the subject if you can elaborate. I'd love for a HEMI to reclaim the crown. They have to be giving up tremendous weight to a corvette?

I don't want to get sucked into a controversy by making a list. I had way more than my fill of that when I was on the board. If you read the rules, then look at the pictures and videos, there is major stuff that is not right. Stuff that probably amounts to 1 second or more. They even talk about some of the stuff in their videos.

RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
Re: Intake porting? [Re: MoonshineMattK] #3197164
12/13/23 12:15 PM
12/13/23 12:15 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.

Everyone, myself included till I looked it up, thinks a Corvette is a lot lighter than they really are ... though whenever it's asked about it's current weight online all you here is crickets ..., fiberglass to pass whatever safety standards imposed back in the day isn't paper thin, the real advantage is the driver is sitting almost on the rear axle and the engine setback, all by design. If the BBC was really the ultimate engine the GM fanboys claim then why did the supposed pinnicale muscle/pony/non sportscar car ... the ZL1 Camaro ... get parked in favor of yet another 'vette ?

Re: Intake porting? [Re: F1Scamp] #3197166
12/13/23 12:19 PM
12/13/23 12:19 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.

I used muggywelds rods that I took the coating off and used with a tig welder. I welded about a 1/2" of material to the outside of the worst corners, cut 4 windows and blew through the corners from the inside. I have another intake that is just a outside skin I milled everything out of, and was planning on doing something similar to what Rhet did, but 4 of the runners are so low due to the dual plane platform that there would have to be around a 3/4" upward angle to meet the head. In my mind I couldn't see how that would work so I aborted that project. This years intake I am changing the plenum a good bit and the approach to the runners.

Thanks , I've heard of it but never looked into it. I was thinking of doing something similar to what Rhett did too but like you , and he , have figured out it's not really a great configuration for and N.A. engine

Re: Intake porting? [Re: Hemi_Joel] #3197167
12/13/23 12:20 PM
12/13/23 12:20 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.

I don't want to get sucked into a controversy by making a list. I had way more than my fill of that when I was on the board. If you read the rules, then look at the pictures and videos, there is major stuff that is not right. Stuff that probably amounts to 1 second or more. They even talk about some of the stuff in their videos.

Smart move on your part wink

Re: Intake porting? [Re: JohnRR] #3197178
12/13/23 12:57 PM
12/13/23 12:57 PM
Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Marion, South Carolina [><]
I asked on one of the Facebook posts about the vette's weight and was told it was nearly 3500 lbs if I recall correctly. I find that hard to believe.
I know they aren't as light as some think, but still....it's a fiberglass body w/ aluminum heads, aluminum intake, lightweight brakes, etc. There's no way it's as heavy as a hemi E body.

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5