cudaman1969 Offline OP
master
cudaman1969  Offline OP
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Originally Posted by 2boltmain
But the days of the GM 3.8 V6 and the Ford pushrod 302/351 are long gone and the current offerings are fragile, too reliant on tech and expensive. All are unreliable shadows of their predecessors.

You're preaching to the choir. I have a 2010 Cummins and I am seriously considering replacing that technology laden 6.7 with a '98 or earlier 5.9 Cummins. I forget the actual statistic but the more components you have in anything, even if they are individually 98% reliable, the overall reliability of the assembly drops like a rock.

Get one before the common rail,(I think 04) injectors are $6000 to replace, exchange!

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: cudaman1969] #3196457
12/10/23 12:38 PM
12/10/23 12:38 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
Along the "pushrod 302/351" comments, I think they should have penalized all of the big 3 when they did away with their respective small block engines and inline 6s ... They're definitely what id rather have.

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: volaredon] #3196462
12/10/23 12:59 PM
12/10/23 12:59 PM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
i have read Mazda now has a turbo inline 6 in the new CX-9 RWD cars.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: cudaman1969] #3196499
12/10/23 02:47 PM
12/10/23 02:47 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by volaredon
My only interest in Toyota is the location of the red batphone button that when pushed every Toyota will simultaneously self destruct. I loathe, despise them.

Not quite there but close lol. 3-1/2 hours just pulling timing chain cover off, 22 thousand bolts, water pump hoses behind alternator, motor mount center bolt hidden up under mount, oil and water all over ground, every conceivable bracket, wire, clip is connected to that front cover plus valve cover. The intake will have to come off to replace the heater hose that I had cut with a knife, broke the bypass nipple on radiator (maybe I can fix) glad I took pics! Chain from Toyota was $325, the whole package from auto zone (both chains, tensioner, followers and oil pump sprockets) $219. I can see the 11 hours flat rate to fix now I’m beat and still got to put it all back tomorrow. I watched a vid on changing the chain, looked like a piece of cake, NOT!! Ya need midget hands and good back to work on it.

Sounds like it might have been easier to pull the motor 🤔 shruggy pity beer

It would have! Ow it’s back together but a scraping noise, it shut off, tried to start again (won’t) and starter won’t stop turning till key is off. Getting too old for this headache.

Sorry to hear pity
Not knowing more of the details, any chance of a pinched wire, harness causing the electrical issues? Can you hhear any noise turing it by hand?

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: TJP] #3196538
12/10/23 05:45 PM
12/10/23 05:45 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline OP
master
cudaman1969  Offline OP
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by TJP
[quote=cudaman1969][quote=volaredon]My only interest in Toyota is the location of the red batphone button that when pushed every Toyota will simultaneously self destruct. I loathe, despise them.

Not quite there but close lol. 3-1/2 hours just pulling timing chain cover off, 22 thousand bolts, water pump hoses behind alternator, motor mount center bolt hidden up under mount, oil and water all over ground, every conceivable bracket, wire, clip is connected to that front cover plus valve cover. The intake will have to come off to replace the heater hose that I had cut with a knife, broke the bypass nipple on radiator (maybe I can fix) glad I took pics! Chain from Toyota was $325, the whole package from auto zone (both chains, tensioner, followers and oil pump sprockets) $219. I can see the 11 hours flat rate to fix now I’m beat and still got to put it all back tomorrow. I watched a vid on changing the chain, looked like a piece of cake, NOT!! Ya need midget hands and good back to work on it. [/
It would have! Ow it’s back together but a scraping noise, it shut off, tried to start again (won’t) and starter won’t stop turning till key is off. Getting too old for this headache.

It’s back to starting from zero again, I think chain jumped

Sorry to hear pity
Not knowing more of the details, any chance of a pinched wire, harness causing the electrical issues? Can you hhear any noise turing it by hand?

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: cudaman1969] #3196548
12/10/23 06:50 PM
12/10/23 06:50 PM
Cleveland Ohio
10secGTX Offline
top fuel
10secGTX  Offline
top fuel

Cleveland Ohio
2012 Toyota Camry ...my daily driver has 175k on it and it rides amazingly smooth still, I cant find anything bad to say about it ....my next car a Used Avalon or New Lexus

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: 10secGTX] #3196592
12/10/23 11:07 PM
12/10/23 11:07 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
For all the Toyota quality stories I have a conflicting one. In the early 80's i had a 76 Toyota pickup with a 5 spd. After working many 60+ hour weeks we had a 4 day weekend and decided to meet some family in Tahoe. About 1/3 of the way there the tranny started growling 🤬🤬🤬. At the 1/2 way point I turned around dropping to 4th as it mad a lot less noise. eventually 3rd as we were almost home.
I pulled the trans apart and two of the bearings were toast. So on Tuesday I walk into the parts dept. at the local dealer with the bearings in a shop towel. Counter guy asks What'cha got there? I opened the towel up. He asks how may do you need? Somewhat puzzled I asked you don't even need to look them up? He replies NOPE have a butt load of them in stock, common failure. NICE!!! he than asks how many miles on it? I said ~ 72K. He says wow shocked most don't go past 60-65.
I put it back together and sold it beer

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: TJP] #3196619
12/11/23 08:53 AM
12/11/23 08:53 AM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Online content
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Online Content
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by TJP
For all the Toyota quality stories I have a conflicting one. In the early 80's i had a 76 Toyota pickup with a 5 spd. After working many 60+ hour weeks we had a 4 day weekend and decided to meet some family in Tahoe. About 1/3 of the way there the tranny started growling 🤬🤬🤬. At the 1/2 way point I turned around dropping to 4th as it mad a lot less noise. eventually 3rd as we were almost home.
I pulled the trans apart and two of the bearings were toast. So on Tuesday I walk into the parts dept. at the local dealer with the bearings in a shop towel. Counter guy asks What'cha got there? I opened the towel up. He asks how may do you need? Somewhat puzzled I asked you don't even need to look them up? He replies NOPE have a butt load of them in stock, common failure. NICE!!! he than asks how many miles on it? I said ~ 72K. He says wow shocked most don't go past 60-65.

1976? LOL. During that same time period you could have stepped up and bought a nice Ford Pinto or Chevrolet Vega....those would have served you well..

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: TJP] #3196642
12/11/23 11:05 AM
12/11/23 11:05 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by TJP

ROFLMAO! I rebuilt a Toyota Hilux pickup for my Dad decades ago. The shifter was sloppier than a Mopar Inland so I pulled the adapter off the side of the trans and went to the local Toyota dealer. Put the adapter on the counter and the partsman just said "I'll be back". Comes back with part in hand. I'm standing there with the deer in the headlights look and he just says "we sell a lot of them".

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: TJP] #3196644
12/11/23 11:09 AM
12/11/23 11:09 AM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Originally Posted by TJP

So 50 years ago you had a problem with one?! shruggy

They've made some changes since then...

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: 2boltmain] #3196650
12/11/23 11:40 AM
12/11/23 11:40 AM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
It's interesting when a person is loyal to a domestic company and shows that loyalty by hating that company's foreign competitors...... All the while that domestic company DOES NOT hate the foreign competition and in fact has had a business partnership with said Japanese competing company since the late 1970s. Chrysler partnered with Mitsubishi in the late 70s. They even used VW made engines in their early Omnis. Ford partnered with Mazda and GM partnered with Isuzu and even at times with Toyota, Suzuki and Korean car manufacturers. If I had the disposable income Id drive new every 2 and not have a care in the world concerning long term reliability. But the days of the GM 3.8 V6 and the Ford pushrod 302/351 are long gone and the current offerings are fragile, too reliant on tech and expensive. All are unreliable shadows of their predecessors.

That's because the loyalty is to the union and not the brand. Same reason why people will still crap on what is considered to be a foreign make despite employing 10's of thousands of Americans in non-union shops in right to work states. It was never about buying Ford, GM or Chrysler. It was about buying UAW. And marketing it to people is easier when wrapping up in the stars and stripes.

Last edited by MarkZ; 12/11/23 11:40 AM.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: MarkZ] #3196680
12/11/23 12:57 PM
12/11/23 12:57 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Online content
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Online Content
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by MarkZ
It's interesting when a person is loyal to a domestic company and shows that loyalty by hating that company's foreign competitors...... All the while that domestic company DOES NOT hate the foreign competition and in fact has had a business partnership with said Japanese competing company since the late 1970s. Chrysler partnered with Mitsubishi in the late 70s. They even used VW made engines in their early Omnis. Ford partnered with Mazda and GM partnered with Isuzu and even at times with Toyota, Suzuki and Korean car manufacturers. If I had the disposable income Id drive new every 2 and not have a care in the world concerning long term reliability. But the days of the GM 3.8 V6 and the Ford pushrod 302/351 are long gone and the current offerings are fragile, too reliant on tech and expensive. All are unreliable shadows of their predecessors.

That's because the loyalty is to the union and not the brand. Same reason why people will still crap on what is considered to be a foreign make despite employing 10's of thousands of Americans in non-union shops in right to work states. It was never about buying Ford, GM or Chrysler. It was about buying UAW. And marketing it to people is easier when wrapping up in the stars and stripes.

100% Correct.

Ask any Ford Escape owner that has had their engine cradle completely rot out from under the car dropping the lower control arm off. Ford's 'fix' was a super thin piece of sheet metal that straddled the part that still rots out only keeping the control arm from dropping out of the car so you don't get killed. Never fixed the issue. Have seen way too many of those fail. But, people keep buying them...

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: cudaman1969] #3196836
12/11/23 09:51 PM
12/11/23 09:51 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline OP
master
cudaman1969  Offline OP
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by TJP
[quote=cudaman1969][quote=volaredon]My only interest in Toyota is the location of the red batphone button that when pushed every Toyota will simultaneously self destruct. I loathe, despise them.

Not quite there but close lol. 3-1/2 hours just pulling timing chain cover off, 22 thousand bolts, water pump hoses behind alternator, motor mount center bolt hidden up under mount, oil and water all over ground, every conceivable bracket, wire, clip is connected to that front cover plus valve cover. The intake will have to come off to replace the heater hose that I had cut with a knife, broke the bypass nipple on radiator (maybe I can fix) glad I took pics! Chain from Toyota was $325, the whole package from auto zone (both chains, tensioner, followers and oil pump sprockets) $219. I can see the 11 hours flat rate to fix now I’m beat and still got to put it all back tomorrow. I watched a vid on changing the chain, looked like a piece of cake, NOT!! Ya need midget hands and good back to work on it. [/

It’s back to starting from zero again, I think chain jumped

Sorry to hear pity

the tensioner didn’t work right, has a little lock to hold it in, then when chain moves it’s supposed to release, jumped about 6 teeth on exhaust cam. Remove the tensioner (a lot of play then) put a wrench on each cam then pulled toward each other, chain jumped back eventually to the right mark. All back together and runs fine, no idea why starter keep running but no problem now.
Now he wants to buy it back lol. He bought a Chevy Cruise, apos from the start but he didn’t ask anyone of us in the know. Been in the shop fixing little stuff since he bought it a month ago.

Last edited by cudaman1969; 12/11/23 09:54 PM.
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: cudaman1969] #3196841
12/11/23 10:16 PM
12/11/23 10:16 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

up up You should go to church on Sunday LOL beer:

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: GY3] #3196842
12/11/23 10:17 PM
12/11/23 10:17 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by GY3
Originally Posted by TJP

So 50 years ago you had a problem with one?! shruggy

They've made some changes since then...

Agreed just offering an opposing experience beer

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: TJP] #3196845
12/11/23 10:35 PM
12/11/23 10:35 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
An engineer friend of mine once told me that the Japanese have an engineering philosophy that a car or vehicle should work perfectly right to the "useful life" of the vehicle and no more. If it goes and keeps going beyond the useful life period, then it was OVER ENGINEERED. I always wondered if that over engineering team lost their jobs if that happened? laugh2

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: 6PakBee] #3196848
12/11/23 10:43 PM
12/11/23 10:43 PM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
But the days of the GM 3.8 V6 and the Ford pushrod 302/351 are long gone and the current offerings are fragile, too reliant on tech and expensive. All are unreliable shadows of their predecessors.

You're preaching to the choir. I have a 2010 Cummins and I am seriously considering replacing that technology laden 6.7 with a '98 or earlier 5.9 Cummins. I forget the actual statistic but the more components you have in anything, even if they are individually 98% reliable, the overall reliability of the assembly drops like a rock.

2007-2012 6.7 was a turd. 14-18 even with the DEF was miles above its predecessor.

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: J_BODY] #3196930
12/12/23 11:26 AM
12/12/23 11:26 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by J_BODY

2007-2012 6.7 was a turd. 14-18 even with the DEF was miles above its predecessor.

I didn't want to call my baby ugly but you are spot on. 18 mpg running empty at 65. With a diesel.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: A12] #3196954
12/12/23 01:09 PM
12/12/23 01:09 PM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Originally Posted by A12
An engineer friend of mine once told me that the Japanese have an engineering philosophy that a car or vehicle should work perfectly right to the "useful life" of the vehicle and no more. If it goes and keeps going beyond the useful life period, then it was OVER ENGINEERED. I always wondered if that over engineering team lost their jobs if that happened? laugh2

I believe- or rather I have read that in the 1990s and early 2000s Toyota OVER engineered their vehicles. What I read is Toyota designed their vehicles taking into consideration the American consumer would NOT be vigilant with preventative maintenance. This makes sense. All the abused Camrys with timing belts needing service 40,000 miles ago and black auto trans fluid but the thing still works! The same source claims German engineers design their vehicles with the assumption the the owner WOULD BE VIGILANT and on time with all preventative maint. The theory about Japanese cars makes sense. I'm sure Toyota realized a car that will last a lifetime is not necessarily good for new car sale profits.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: 2boltmain] #3196982
12/12/23 03:34 PM
12/12/23 03:34 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
In the 2007-2012 period retired board members of Toyota got so upset about declining vehicle quality and flawed engineering that they staged a revolt.

There was a USA book written about it:

https://www.mhprofessional.com/toyo...risis-into-opportunity-9780071762991-usa

My nephew drove one Toyota minivan past 260,000 miles without trouble.
His wife got him to buy a new Toyota minivan 3 years ago and gifted the old minivan to her grandfather.
The new Toyota minivan had a failed transmission just past 40,000 miles.
The grandfather is still driving the old Toyota minivan without any issues.

The UAW president recently spent 4 days and nights having meetings with Georgetown KY Toyota Plant workers.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5