12/05/23 09:18 PM
12/05/23 09:18 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Most of my Toyota experiences were with their trucks with rotted out frames. All of the trucks that were built in Japan used the same poorly designed frame. This was long before, and long after the "frame replacement recall". I'll bet I condemned 100 of those [censored] trucks for rotted out unrepairable frames. The 70s & 80s Chevy trucks with the frames rotted in two by the gas tank was the 2nd highest number of any specific brands with frame issues, but rest assured, every brand had issues, including the Dodge trucks.

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: cudaman1969] #3195701
12/06/23 02:30 PM
12/06/23 02:30 PM
IL us
I
ink Offline
mopar
ink  Offline
mopar
I

IL us
lmao. all ill add is if I got to explain you'll never understand! I laugh this is already 5 pages lone and will never end.! I love Toyotas and have 9 Toyota pickups. All 84~88 3 2x2 and 6 4x4 I think I love the lqqk because they are boxy like mopars I been driving my first one now going on 20 years ( 360k miles) only 1 break down all this time .. fuel pump. ran 2.4 miles to auto parts store got pump 30.00? ish they drove me back to the truck two bolts right on top of the best engine ever and back on my way! and still doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil.! I can honestly say without these trucks in my life I would never be where I'm at !

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: cudaman1969] #3195724
12/06/23 03:26 PM
12/06/23 03:26 PM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
I bought a Tundra in 2002. I went to a Dodge dealership first, then a Ford, but the salespeople there were intolerable and I refused to give them any of my hard-earned money. Just BS games, attempted psych-outs, TONS of time wasting, and condescension even. I went to the Toyota dealership fully armed with dealer cost, flooring allowance, rebates and incentives, average sale price for the area, etc., and I walked in and told the sales rep what I wanted. He said what do you want to pay for it (he saw all my paperwork) and I told him. He said OK and that was it. Paid cash, spent 3 minutes listening to financing and extended warranty options which I declined with no pushback, left with the truck. Still have it, runs great. Paint got funny but at least now it looks like a real truck. I might have been happier with a different truck but the way they ran their dealership is why I bought there.

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: calmopar] #3195806
12/07/23 02:26 AM
12/07/23 02:26 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
I saw a chart listing cost of ownership by brand over the first five and the next five years. Toyota was lowest cost by far, Porsche the worst. Made me think of this thread.

I want my fair share
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3195827
12/07/23 08:54 AM
12/07/23 08:54 AM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
I saw a chart listing cost of ownership by brand over the first five and the next five years. Toyota was lowest cost by far, Porsche the worst. Made me think of this thread.

Its best not to cloud a thread like this with reality. There are people who really want to drive the lowest cost of ownership vehicles and there are people that are still stuck on the theory that they are somehow "buying American"..even though they are not. No use clouding the issue with facts.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: 2boltmain] #3195828
12/07/23 09:07 AM
12/07/23 09:07 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
My Toyota interest is whether their in house developed new version of a Lithium Battery is all that much better?

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: calmopar] #3195999
12/07/23 11:05 PM
12/07/23 11:05 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by calmopar
I bought a Tundra in 2002. I went to a Dodge dealership first, then a Ford, but the salespeople there were intolerable and I refused to give them any of my hard-earned money. Just BS games, attempted psych-outs, TONS of time wasting, and condescension even. I went to the Toyota dealership fully armed with dealer cost, flooring allowance, rebates and incentives, average sale price for the area, etc., and I walked in and told the sales rep what I wanted. He said what do you want to pay for it (he saw all my paperwork) and I told him. He said OK and that was it. Paid cash, spent 3 minutes listening to financing and extended warranty options which I declined with no pushback, left with the truck. Still have it, runs great. Paint got funny but at least now it looks like a real truck. I might have been happier with a different truck but the way they ran their dealership is why I bought there.

When I lived in the San Jose area, it was bad. the sales guys were usually smoking outside and circling the lot like sharks that tasted blood. Whichever one put this cigarette out was claiming you as theirs LOL beer

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: oldjonny] #3196093
12/08/23 03:14 PM
12/08/23 03:14 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by oldjonny

Its best not to cloud a thread like this with reality. There are people who really want to drive the lowest cost of ownership vehicles and there are people that are still stuck on the theory that they are somehow "buying American"..even though they are not. No use clouding the issue with facts.

You mean like an Italian automaker that sells cars built in Canada with engines from Mexico?

I want my fair share
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3196098
12/08/23 04:11 PM
12/08/23 04:11 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan

You mean like an Italian automaker that sells cars built in Canada with engines from Mexico?

Similar to that, yea. You know, where ALL the profits head to a foreign country. Yea...something like that.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: oldjonny] #3196119
12/08/23 05:35 PM
12/08/23 05:35 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
My only interest in Toyota is the location of the red batphone button that when pushed every Toyota will simultaneously self destruct. I loathe, despise them.

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: volaredon] #3196129
12/08/23 06:24 PM
12/08/23 06:24 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by volaredon
My only interest in Toyota is the location of the red batphone button that when pushed every Toyota will simultaneously self destruct. I loathe, despise them.

LOL

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: volaredon] #3196148
12/08/23 07:43 PM
12/08/23 07:43 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Online sleepy OP
master
cudaman1969  Online Sleepy OP
master
C

fredericksburg,va

Not quite there but close lol. 3-1/2 hours just pulling timing chain cover off, 22 thousand bolts, water pump hoses behind alternator, motor mount center bolt hidden up under mount, oil and water all over ground, every conceivable bracket, wire, clip is connected to that front cover plus valve cover. The intake will have to come off to replace the heater hose that I had cut with a knife, broke the bypass nipple on radiator (maybe I can fix) glad I took pics! Chain from Toyota was $325, the whole package from auto zone (both chains, tensioner, followers and oil pump sprockets) $219. I can see the 11 hours flat rate to fix now I’m beat and still got to put it all back tomorrow. I watched a vid on changing the chain, looked like a piece of cake, NOT!! Ya need midget hands and good back to work on it.

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: oldjonny] #3196212
12/09/23 09:00 AM
12/09/23 09:00 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
[

Similar to that, yea. You know, where ALL the profits head to a foreign country. Yea...something like that. [/quote]

it's not that black and white.
actually there are domestic stockholders that get substantial $$ from that foreign company. just as there are foreign stockholders that get $$.from domestic companies.
there are also substantial domestic workers that get paychecks from these companies. also local and state governments get tax $$ from them also.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: Mr T2U] #3196229
12/09/23 11:28 AM
12/09/23 11:28 AM
Arlington, Texas
B
bobby66 Online content
master
bobby66  Online Content
master
B

Arlington, Texas

They should just build Plymouths instead. Everybody loved Plymouths! wave

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: Mr T2U] #3196235
12/09/23 12:17 PM
12/09/23 12:17 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by Mr T2U
[

Similar to that, yea. You know, where ALL the profits head to a foreign country. Yea...something like that.

it's not that black and white.
actually there are domestic stockholders that get substantial $$ from that foreign company. just as there are foreign stockholders that get $$.from domestic companies.
there are also substantial domestic workers that get paychecks from these companies. also local and state governments get tax $$ from them also. [/quote]

Correct....And, Toyota (since for some reason they are singled out) does the exact same thing. Latest count was 176,000 employees working for Toyota North American Operations. So, not sure where you are going with your statement. Ask Marysville, OH if they would be happy if Honda pulled out of town.

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: cudaman1969] #3196269
12/09/23 03:01 PM
12/09/23 03:01 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by cudaman1969

Not quite there but close lol. 3-1/2 hours just pulling timing chain cover off, 22 thousand bolts, water pump hoses behind alternator, motor mount center bolt hidden up under mount, oil and water all over ground, every conceivable bracket, wire, clip is connected to that front cover plus valve cover. The intake will have to come off to replace the heater hose that I had cut with a knife, broke the bypass nipple on radiator (maybe I can fix) glad I took pics! Chain from Toyota was $325, the whole package from auto zone (both chains, tensioner, followers and oil pump sprockets) $219. I can see the 11 hours flat rate to fix now I’m beat and still got to put it all back tomorrow. I watched a vid on changing the chain, looked like a piece of cake, NOT!! Ya need midget hands and good back to work on it.

Sounds like it might have been easier to pull the motor 🤔 shruggy pity beer

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: TJP] #3196288
12/09/23 04:15 PM
12/09/23 04:15 PM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
It's interesting when a person is loyal to a domestic company and shows that loyalty by hating that company's foreign competitors...... All the while that domestic company DOES NOT hate the foreign competition and in fact has had a business partnership with said Japanese competing company since the late 1970s. Chrysler partnered with Mitsubishi in the late 70s. They even used VW made engines in their early Omnis. Ford partnered with Mazda and GM partnered with Isuzu and even at times with Toyota, Suzuki and Korean car manufacturers. If I had the disposable income Id drive new every 2 and not have a care in the world concerning long term reliability. But the days of the GM 3.8 V6 and the Ford pushrod 302/351 are long gone and the current offerings are fragile, too reliant on tech and expensive. All are unreliable shadows of their predecessors.

Last edited by 2boltmain; 12/09/23 05:25 PM.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: 2boltmain] #3196299
12/09/23 05:04 PM
12/09/23 05:04 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by 2boltmain
It's interesting when a person is loyal to a domestic company and shows that loyalty by hating that company's foreign competitors...... All the while that domestic company DOES NOT hate the foreign competition and in fact has had a business partnership with said Japanese competing company since the late 1970s. Chrysler partnered with Mitsubishi in the late 70s. They even used VW made engines in their early Ominis. Ford partnered with Mazda and GM partnered with Isuzu and even at times with Toyota, Suzuki and Korean car manufacturers. If I had the disposable income Id drive new every 2 and not have a care in the world concerning long term reliability. But the days of the GM 3.8 V6 and the Ford pushrod 302/351 are long gone and the current offerings are fragile, too reliant on tech and expensive- unreliable shadows of their predecessors.

up

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: TJP] #3196345
12/09/23 08:25 PM
12/09/23 08:25 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Online sleepy OP
master
cudaman1969  Online Sleepy OP
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by cudaman1969

Sounds like it might have been easier to pull the motor 🤔 shruggy pity beer

It would have! Ow it’s back together but a scraping noise, it shut off, tried to start again (won’t) and starter won’t stop turning till key is off. Getting too old for this headache.

Re: Bought a Toyota [Re: 2boltmain] #3196424
12/10/23 10:55 AM
12/10/23 10:55 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by 2boltmain
But the days of the GM 3.8 V6 and the Ford pushrod 302/351 are long gone and the current offerings are fragile, too reliant on tech and expensive. All are unreliable shadows of their predecessors.

You're preaching to the choir. I have a 2010 Cummins and I am seriously considering replacing that technology laden 6.7 with a '98 or earlier 5.9 Cummins. I forget the actual statistic but the more components you have in anything, even if they are individually 98% reliable, the overall reliability of the assembly drops like a rock.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5