10/25/23 08:19 PM
10/25/23 08:19 PM
Pahrump NV.
D
Doright Offline OP
Doright  Offline OP
D

Pahrump NV.
Ok You know what theirs a Ton of weird wild stuff out their on on this build and I know its been beat to death every where but so much so that its hard to figure out how much is true or and not correct.
The one guy on Youtube OMG guy SHUT UP Your not a Mechanic! nor is he an experienced Hot rodder with hundreds of builds under his belt. He has no business offering any tech or suggestions to any one.

BUT any how this is how I am doing it and these will be my lessons learned.

Started out as a Project rig I bought a 5.7 Jeep Commander that dropped a Valve seat got it cheap enough so who cares right?

(OH Boy what a mistake this has been!)

Any way I was committed to boring it and running a set of Eagle heads Many said I need .070 head gaskets BUT why? I am buying new Slugs! I will just buy a dish piston!
I also modified the combustion chambers and polished them they now look like the combustion chamber on the Edlebrocks new hemi head combustion chambers I then CC'd them all coming in at 65 cc one at 66 cc while I was at it I polished up the ports mildly and cleaned the short turn radius.
I added all new Stainless valves and a new Spring kit came with the cam kit from Comp cams.

Then their was You need custom length push rods again why? I am not running a .070 thick head gasket! Mopar only lists one size int and exh push rods for all 5.7, 6.1 & 6.4's I think the originals are good as they are strait.

Then their was You have to have the 6.1 Valve covers which I bought..... Their the same as the 5.7!!! If any one has any insight on this please chime in I spent good coin for new Ma Mopar stuff and I know its wrong.

Then theirs the exhaust and I could not for the life of me find a long tube D port header for a Jeep commander I can get one for a Grand cherokee SRT8 though same truck basically as the Commander.
BUT I have no idea why they say they wont work in the commander? maybe because its a D port? Still have no idea, I am still waiting for the heads to come back before I drop the engine in to test fit not sure what mods are needed to make them work.

As far as a cam goes I got a Mild Comp cam and their timing chain set up and a New oil pump from Melling along with a New set of lifters from Ma Mopar. and a MDS deleat kit. The crank was polished and a New set of Clevite bearing will be used
The Rods are from Manly the pistons are Racetech -5.00 cc comp distance 1.220

Then theirs the Intake manifold I got an cast Aluminum intake with the heads so I am fairly certain it will work.

Thanks for any insight and replies

Last edited by Doright; 10/25/23 08:58 PM.

D Barnett
A&P mechanic,
FCC general radio Telephone operator.
Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: Doright] #3187146
10/28/23 06:43 PM
10/28/23 06:43 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
I have done the swap and there is tons of bad info out there. They run fine just bolting them on with factory head gaskets, yes it is very high compression but these are not iron head 440s that ping on 9.5 compression. I did not need anything but intake manifold, exhaust manifolds and heads from the later engine.

Now if you put those early pistons in an eagle block they will come up above the deck instead of just below the deck like how they came from 03-08 and you will need to run thick head gaskets for quench clearance. The eagle has a slightly shorter deck height no matter what some clowns that don't know the facts will say... just because they saw it in a service manual or parts catalogue does not mean they are actually the same.

I have not done the swap on the jeeps you mention so I can't say about the headers. Most everything ive done is LX and trucks

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: HotRodDave] #3188016
11/01/23 11:26 AM
11/01/23 11:26 AM
Pahrump NV.
D
Doright Offline OP
Doright  Offline OP
D

Pahrump NV.
Originally Posted by HotRodDave
I have done the swap and there is tons of bad info out there. They run fine just bolting them on with factory head gaskets, yes it is very high compression but these are not iron head 440s that ping on 9.5 compression. I did not need anything but intake manifold, exhaust manifolds and heads from the later engine.

Now if you put those early pistons in an eagle block they will come up above the deck instead of just below the deck like how they came from 03-08 and you will need to run thick head gaskets for quench clearance. The eagle has a slightly shorter deck height no matter what some clowns that don't know the facts will say... just because they saw it in a service manual or parts catalogue does not mean they are actually the same.

I have not done the swap on the jeeps you mention so I can't say about the headers. Most everything ive done is LX and trucks

Hi Dave Nice to have some one else who has done the swap/build breath some truth into this topic!!!!

What was your experience with the Valve covers issue please ?
Your a 100% correct on the Deck hight installed comp. dist. and quench. it all adds up in the end.
Knowing your blocks deck height your pistons comp distance combustion chamber volume and head gasket thickness it all adds up for a Static compression ratio. Then your cam choice will change the Dynamic compression ratio which is another subject all its own, and makes or breaks a build.

I am still waiting to get my heads back from machine shop after the mods I did (cleaning up short turn radius and modifying my combustion chambers) He the machinist has to surface them as a I messed up and got a couple tool marks in the fresh surface wasn't bad or deep but I wanted them perfect hes also changing my springs for the new cam and double checking the valve angles from other Machine shop that originaly did the Valve job, I think my Cam choice is a little too big but I am not sure yet? As I said to my new Machinist You'll be able to tell theirs a cam in the engine he Giggled as he looked at the cam card and agreed I am going to run it and see how it does on the street I will probably have to change it to something with a little less lift and duration so it makes more torque than hp. But i wont make that change till I put new gears in the Truck and maybe a new Torque converter as well.

I took a little extra time last week and spent half a day cleaning up the factory Aluminum intake I have for the build while waiting for the heads nothing fancy just cleaning up the Huge seam flaws in the turns of the manifold especially wear it makes its first turn into the runners. I also cleaned up the injector bungs a little.All in all I feel better about using the manifold even if it does nothing for me.
My primary use for this rig is a grocery getter for my wife that is capable of getting out of its own way. I had some delusions of Putting One tone axles under it but have decided to save that for a Tube Buggy for the Rocks.

I also spent some time getting the Old exhaust out of the truck and setting the OBX headers in their and looking at the supplied plumbing that came with the kit, Yup I am gonna be doing some cutting on the pipes after the headers themselves, I am not sure about the headers themselves yet they too may require some cutting and welding I wont know till I get the engine in their but I have a Tig welder and a purge set up so I am not worried about cutting and welding the SS tubes. The only thing I am really worried about is getting the engine tuned at this point, I am pretty far from any guys that do tuning.
Do you think it will hurt it to drive it 70 miles to a tuner after I get it running? I am an old carb guy not a Injection guy I was able to drive my LS in my Vett without hurting it after doing similar mods.

Last edited by Doright; 11/01/23 11:38 AM.

D Barnett
A&P mechanic,
Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: Doright] #3192817
11/23/23 10:46 AM
11/23/23 10:46 AM
south louisiana
L
lowell66dart Offline
super stock
lowell66dart  Offline
super stock
L

south louisiana
I just did an Eagle head swap on my 2007 R/T last month. No issues. This is HOW I DID IT. The heads. Got these along with the valve covers at the 50% off day ay the pull a part. All the valve tips were worn about 20 thou so all new valves, Mopar performance spring good for .625 lift and new locks and valve job. Ordered Cam Motions smallest shelf non VVT cam. Don't want a stall converter. Took about three weeks. Duration at .050 is around 220ish, lift .590ish, I was going to use a 6.4 intake and wire up the window switch but ran across a 6.1 intake. Personally since this is a street car and I am not buying expensive sticky tires maybe a little less torque at the lower rpm levels is not a bad thing. SRT shorties with a Dynomax 2.75 cat back exhaust. Got .070 Cometics from them as everyone was out. Took about a week. Measured and ordered Manton pushrods. The Eagle pushrods may have worked but I came up with different lengths and wasn't taking any chances and the Manton are better quality for sure. Went with Melling timing chain, oil pump, tensioner set from Rock Auto. Installed MDS delete plugs. I have a Diablo so I got a start up tune from Johan aka Diablotoona. Pulled the fuse for the fuel pump and did the pedal to the floor thing three times to prime the oil pump. Put the fuse back in, turned the key a few time to build fuel pressure and cranked it up. Fired right up, no noise, no leaks. Did two data logs for Johan and it's running great. He really almost had it perfect with the startup tune. First time inside a Gen 3 Hemi and looking back, fairly easy. Car idles at 800 rpm in gear and has a very nice sound. You can tell its modified. Very pleased, wouldn't change a thing.

You will need an extended reach balancer installer to reinstall the balancer. Rented mine from Auto Zone. Before you pull the heads and get antifreeze in your cylinders and oil pan try this. Pull the water pump. Get a wet/dry vac with a hose that's bigger than the water pump holes in the block. Hold it as tight as you can against each side until you can't feel it sucking any water. I had no water anywhere.

Stock rear end ratio in my RT is 2.82. Found a 3.91 Getrag LSD from a 2010 manual Challenger with 45 thousand miles on it. Swapped it in and have about 100 easy miles on it. Waiting for some gear oil to come in and then I'm going to have a little fun.

2021 Dodge 2500 4WD Cummins
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Widebody
2007 Charger R/T 5.7

Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: lowell66dart] #3194129
11/29/23 11:20 AM
11/29/23 11:20 AM
Pahrump NV.
D
Doright Offline OP
Doright  Offline OP
D

Pahrump NV.
Well I the engine all put together short of the push rods and rockers last night I will install those today then start the install in to the Truck.

D Barnett
A&P mechanic,
Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: Doright] #3195332
12/04/23 04:28 PM
12/04/23 04:28 PM
south louisiana
L
lowell66dart Offline
super stock
lowell66dart  Offline
super stock
L

south louisiana
Get it started????

2007 Charger R/T 5.7

Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: lowell66dart] #3195474
12/05/23 01:40 PM
12/05/23 01:40 PM
Pahrump NV.
D
Doright Offline OP
Doright  Offline OP
D

Pahrump NV.
No I did not,
I had issues with the Comp cam double roller timing chain assembly, which put things a bit behind forcing me to wait for another weekend to play with it.
The Comp Cam Double roller Timing chain assembly sits further forward than stock so it hits the timing cover causing interference not allowing the motor to turn over!
I ground clearance into the Timing cover with a Hi speed grinder and 2" sanding disk But had it off and on about 6 times checking and removing for grinding before it was all over and done with very frustrating.
Needless to say I am less than impressed with the Timing set from Comp Cams Their install instructions and Pictures they supply with the kit are VERY VERY POOR! Instructions include a statement saying clearancing MAY be necessary.....
The Statement should state that machining the Back side of Timing cover IS required .050+ Since I did it by hand I have no idea how much I actually removed to have clearance between cover and Cam sensor Tone ring but it was in excess of .050". probably closer to .075"

After I got that straitened out it was very apparent that the 2007 5.7 Push rods are indeed too short, A quick trip to my Local Chrysler dealer and spending a little time with the Parts people who were very helpful reviled that their is a different Part number Push rods for the later motors.
I compared mine to the newer push rods and I could tell Yup I need those So I ordered a full set yesterday they should be here from LA by mid morning or early afternoon they said.
That was a heck of a lot easier than trying to measure them and then ordering a custom set and waiting for how long?

Initial install of valve cover looks promising that they will work but waiting on getting the correct push rods first.

After I get the new Push rods in the engine I will start the install.

I am not excited about fighting with the headers during the install, The Only Full long tube headers I could get are for an 08 Grand Cherokee SRT8 which shares the same chassis as a Commander But for what ever reason they say they do not fit the Commander.
So header installation will probably be challenging, Will see I bought them full well knowing cutting and welding would be required.

Last edited by Doright; 12/05/23 01:45 PM. Reason: add info

D Barnett
A&P mechanic,
Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: Doright] #3196052
12/08/23 12:08 PM
12/08/23 12:08 PM
south louisiana
L
lowell66dart Offline
super stock
lowell66dart  Offline
super stock
L

south louisiana
Keep wrenching, you'll get it done. When installing the pushrods after you tighten each shaft down rotate the engine to check for binding. I was sure everything was perfect yet twice I had something wrong, Not a hard job, just tedious.

After I installed the 3.91 cradle I had a horrible drone. Found a 2018 Challenger factory cat back system and installed it. Cut the active exhaust valves out .Little bit bigger tubing, no drone and very nice sound with the cats gone.

2007 Charger R/T 5.7

Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: Doright] #3196824
12/11/23 08:54 PM
12/11/23 08:54 PM
Trumbauerwsville
Warlock Express Offline
Warlock Express  Offline

Trumbauerwsville
Originally Posted by Doright
Ok You know what theirs a Ton of weird wild stuff out their on on this build and I know its been beat to death every where but so much so that its hard to figure out how much is true or and not correct.
The one guy on Youtube OMG guy SHUT UP Your not a Mechanic! nor is he an experienced Hot rodder with hundreds of builds under his belt. He has no business offering any tech or suggestions to any one.

Started out as a Project rig I bought a 5.7 Jeep Commander that dropped a Valve seat got it cheap enough so who cares right?

Any way I was committed to boring it and running a set of Eagle heads Many said I need .070 head gaskets BUT why? I am buying new Slugs! I will just buy a dish piston!
I also modified the combustion chambers and polished them they now look like the combustion chamber on the Edlebrocks new hemi head combustion chambers I then CC'd them all coming in at 65 cc one at 66 cc while I was at it I polished up the ports mildly and cleaned the short turn radius.
I added all new Stainless valves and a new Spring kit came with the cam kit from Comp cams.

Then their was You need custom length push rods again why? I am not running a .070 thick head gasket! Mopar only lists one size int and exh push rods for all 5.7, 6.1 & 6.4's I think the originals are good as they are strait.

Then their was You have to have the 6.1 Valve covers which I bought..... Their the same as the 5.7!!! If any one has any insight on this please chime in I spent good coin for new Ma Mopar stuff and I know its wrong.

Then theirs the exhaust and I could not for the life of me find a long tube D port header for a Jeep commander I can get one for a Grand cherokee SRT8 though same truck basically as the Commander.
BUT I have no idea why they say they wont work in the commander? maybe because its a D port? Still have no idea, I am still waiting for the heads to come back before I drop the engine in to test fit not sure what mods are needed to make them work.

As far as a cam goes I got a Mild Comp cam and their timing chain set up and a New oil pump from Melling along with a New set of lifters from Ma Mopar. and a MDS deleat kit. The crank was polished and a New set of Clevite bearing will be used

Then theirs the Intake manifold I got an cast Aluminum intake with the heads so I am fairly certain it will work.

Valve Covers, use Eagle/Apache valve covers or any of the newer aftermarket ones, Avoid the OEM alum covers, they are not tall enough to give adequate rocker arm clearance.

I think the 6.1 rumor started because of the coil Mounting, all 6.1 coils are the dual plug while the 2005 5.7s and older are the single plug and waste spark(feeds the opposite side plug)

the 04-08 stock short block with Eagle heads and .028 inch crushed OEM head gaskets are 11.76 static compression, .070 Gasket gets you about 10.55

Headers any D shape headers for 09 Jeep commander will work, the 6.1 SRT manifolds, I've heard mixed things, from Yeap 6.1s work to NO 6.4s WILL not work. I have never looked for Headers for your application , honestly I don't know what to tell you about availability.....Hit the Jeep forums .

Push rods , the OEM push rods from you 07 5.7 will be too short ,the Eagle head rocker stands are roughly .100 higher , Eagle Valves are 5.14 in length vs the 03-08 heads 4.98 length.
Since your going with a Comp cam, base circle is smaller , the OEM Eagle Pushrods , will work, you'll have a slight Hemi tick.

The Race tech Pistons(5 dish) and Eagle heads, stock Head gasket will be 10.30 to 1 static, ........good choice.

NOT Any square port intake will work, SRT6.1 and all of the Aftermarket square port intakes will work, the 6.4(SRT or Truck) and the 09+ 5.7 OEM intakes have fitment issues due to the front (widows peak) of the block where the H20 sensor mounts. I've seen a LOT of people heat up the plastic intakes and make them fit.......I'd stay away from it personally.

The Photo's I attached are of the 1st Eagle head swap I did back in May 2010. Truck had 122k on it when the heads and the (everyone loves to mock) XV intake +comp cams 273H.....Pulled the engine out this past oct(2023) , yes roughly 170k miles and 13 years later , these heads have 2,125X6mm Titanium Intake and 1.625X5/16 mm stainless(ferrea valve part# F1173P)
Best ET @ 4200 Lbs was 11.48@118(roughly 540FLy wheel HP) the truck in my avatar is an 04 weighing in at 3800lbs race weight, 727 trans 4.88s same combo as the 05/eagle head test mule but with a custom grind(248/248 @.050, .600/.600, 110 LSA 12.10 to 1 running on 93 pumps 22 total degrees all in by 2k RPMS, the photo was taken on it's best run , 10.88@126.

On average I do about 10-12 of these builds a year, ..
Word to the Wise , this head swap has a sneaky issue when it comes to timing, the last photo is from 06 Hemi that had the Eagle head swap down, Internet Pro tuner guy set it up with 24 degrees of timing at WOT , and the normal 32-40 degree of off pedal "clean up emissions timing. , When I looked at his logs , and this owner logged this car all the time, almost 200 hours of HPtuner logs , this tune barely got above 3V of knock voltage . and you can see the pit marks in the photo, I've pulled a few of these apart that have eaten OEM pistons..... and they made NO noise, the issue is not the WOT spark but the off pedal spark , I cap everything under 55KPA (map) to 24 degrees and have never had one of my builds eat a piston.

Test Mule 2.JPGStart mileage 5.9.2010.jpgPulled 10.18.23.jpg5.7 .030 Eagle heads 06 block.jpg
Last edited by Warlock Express; 12/11/23 09:13 PM.
Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: Doright] #3197111
12/13/23 05:37 AM
12/13/23 05:37 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
What is a "FCC radio telephone operator"?
I've known and work with HAM radio operator and remember being told I would need a FFC radio operator license when I started private pilot training in 1988 but I was told a little later that the FCC or FAA drop that requirement shruggy
I know what a A&P is but not that FCC license confused
How many people are living in Pahrump now? It has been 8 or 10 yrs. since we visit friends there the last time.

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 12/13/23 05:42 AM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: Cab_Burge] #3198143
12/17/23 02:07 PM
12/17/23 02:07 PM
Trumbauerwsville
Warlock Express Offline
Warlock Express  Offline

Trumbauerwsville
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I've known and work with HAM radio operator and remember being told I would need a FFC radio operator license when I started private pilot training in 1988 but I was told a little later that the FCC or FAA drop that requirement shruggy
How many people are living in Pahrump now? It has been 8 or 10 yrs. since we visit friends there the last time.

Cab ,Where did you see FCC in any of these post ? I'm curious, I realize I'm getting old but I didn't catch it ?

Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: Warlock Express] #3198374
12/18/23 12:26 PM
12/18/23 12:26 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
340Cuda Offline
master
340Cuda  Offline
master

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Warlock Express

Cab ,Where did you see FCC in any of these post ? I'm curious, I realize I'm getting old but I didn't catch it ?

Doright's signature block:

D Barnett
A&P mechanic,

Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: Cab_Burge] #3198839
12/20/23 11:24 AM
12/20/23 11:24 AM
Pahrump NV.
D
Doright Offline OP
Doright  Offline OP
D

Pahrump NV.

Hi Cab
I have a FCC "General Radio Telephone operators lic." or "GROL" as they call it.
Yes the FAA did back in the day require you to hold an Operator lic. to talk on the radios, IT should never be confused with a General radio Telephone Operator license.
My license allows me to open tune and repair any Transmitter in the USA.
That includes Radios, and Television Cell towers or in my case electronic equipment in Air craft Mainly Airliners for major Airlines their are many different types of transmitting equipment.

D Barnett
A&P mechanic,
Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: Warlock Express] #3198842
12/20/23 11:39 AM
12/20/23 11:39 AM
Pahrump NV.
D
Doright Offline OP
Doright  Offline OP
D

Pahrump NV.
Originally Posted by Warlock Express
Originally Posted by Doright

Valve Covers, use Eagle/Apache valve covers or any of the newer aftermarket ones, Avoid the OEM alum covers, they are not tall enough to give adequate rocker arm clearance.

I think the 6.1 rumor started because of the coil Mounting, all 6.1 coils are the dual plug while the 2005 5.7s and older are the single plug and waste spark(feeds the opposite side plug)

the 04-08 stock short block with Eagle heads and .028 inch crushed OEM head gaskets are 11.76 static compression, .070 Gasket gets you about 10.55

Headers any D shape headers for 09 Jeep commander will work, the 6.1 SRT manifolds, I've heard mixed things, from Yeap 6.1s work to NO 6.4s WILL not work. I have never looked for Headers for your application , honestly I don't know what to tell you about availability.....Hit the Jeep forums .

Push rods , the OEM push rods from you 07 5.7 will be too short ,the Eagle head rocker stands are roughly .100 higher , Eagle Valves are 5.14 in length vs the 03-08 heads 4.98 length.
Since your going with a Comp cam, base circle is smaller , the OEM Eagle Pushrods , will work, you'll have a slight Hemi tick.

The Race tech Pistons(5 dish) and Eagle heads, stock Head gasket will be 10.30 to 1 static, ........good choice.

NOT Any square port intake will work, SRT6.1 and all of the Aftermarket square port intakes will work, the 6.4(SRT or Truck) and the 09+ 5.7 OEM intakes have fitment issues due to the front (widows peak) of the block where the H20 sensor mounts. I've seen a LOT of people heat up the plastic intakes and make them fit.......I'd stay away from it personally.

The Photo's I attached are of the 1st Eagle head swap I did back in May 2010. Truck had 122k on it when the heads and the (everyone loves to mock) XV intake +comp cams 273H.....Pulled the engine out this past oct(2023) , yes roughly 170k miles and 13 years later , these heads have 2,125X6mm Titanium Intake and 1.625X5/16 mm stainless(ferrea valve part# F1173P)
Best ET @ 4200 Lbs was 11.48@118(roughly 540FLy wheel HP) the truck in my avatar is an 04 weighing in at 3800lbs race weight, 727 trans 4.88s same combo as the 05/eagle head test mule but with a custom grind(248/248 @.050, .600/.600, 110 LSA 12.10 to 1 running on 93 pumps 22 total degrees all in by 2k RPMS, the photo was taken on it's best run , 10.88@126.

On average I do about 10-12 of these builds a year, ..
Word to the Wise , this head swap has a sneaky issue when it comes to timing, the last photo is from 06 Hemi that had the Eagle head swap down, Internet Pro tuner guy set it up with 24 degrees of timing at WOT , and the normal 32-40 degree of off pedal "clean up emissions timing. , When I looked at his logs , and this owner logged this car all the time, almost 200 hours of HPtuner logs , this tune barely got above 3V of knock voltage . and you can see the pit marks in the photo, I've pulled a few of these apart that have eaten OEM pistons..... and they made NO noise, the issue is not the WOT spark but the off pedal spark , I cap everything under 55KPA (map) to 24 degrees and have never had one of my builds eat a piston.

Hey Warlock

Now thats is some Accurate spot on information thank you.

I ran into some more issues with my build due to my general lack of experience with the new Gen Hemi requiring me to pull the thing back out of the truck again! but I started going back in yesterday.
I should have it all wired up today and the intake on it, Then I have to drop the fuel tank and rid it of 3 year old fuel.
I am going to install a new fuel pump while I have the tank down.

I am concerned why you say the new longer Push rods from Chrysler will cause slight Hemi Tick?
I cant stand a Noisy valve train when its preventable....

I am also very concerned with the Tune at this point as its all stock, Its time to start looking for some one who can Tune it correctly for me In the Las Vegas area do you know of any good Tuners in this part of the world?

Last edited by Doright; 12/20/23 02:50 PM.

D Barnett
A&P mechanic,
Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: Doright] #3200356
12/27/23 08:11 PM
12/27/23 08:11 PM
Pahrump NV.
D
Doright Offline OP
Doright  Offline OP
D

Pahrump NV.
I got it all back together finally and tried to start it .....

It fires but wont start, It tries to run but nope acts like its got no compression or the timing is off. I'm at a loss. I wont have time to play with it again till next week. please post ideas.

New Cam MDS deleat plugs, MDS deleat lifters fresh valve job new springs match cam. Comp cam double roller timing set. NO Tune as yet. I was told it should start and idle.

D Barnett
A&P mechanic,
Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: Doright] #3200477
12/28/23 01:17 PM
12/28/23 01:17 PM
south louisiana
L
lowell66dart Offline
super stock
lowell66dart  Offline
super stock
L

south louisiana
Do you have the tools to check needed pushrod length? I would start there. Eagle pushrods did not work for my combo. Had to get custom ones made.

2007 Charger R/T 5.7

Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: lowell66dart] #3200707
12/29/23 02:48 PM
12/29/23 02:48 PM
Pahrump NV.
D
Doright Offline OP
Doright  Offline OP
D

Pahrump NV.
Yes I do have them and yes that did cross my mind. I am gonna dig back into it on my days off in a couple of days.

D Barnett
A&P mechanic,
Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: Doright] #3200971
12/30/23 05:23 PM
12/30/23 05:23 PM
south louisiana
L
lowell66dart Offline
super stock
lowell66dart  Offline
super stock
L

south louisiana
MMX has a nice video on how to get the cam in the right position to measure for pushrod length. Pick a cylinder, measure then rotate the engine and measure again. One you get repeat numbers you can be sure you have it right. I called MMX with my measurements and the pushrods were drop shipped from Manton in under a week.

2007 Charger R/T 5.7

Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: lowell66dart] #3201908
01/03/24 12:10 PM
01/03/24 12:10 PM
Pahrump NV.
D
Doright Offline OP
Doright  Offline OP
D

Pahrump NV.
I got it running after a fashion needs a Tune badly wont idle at all and I am not surprised with all the changes I made.

I ran a compression ck all was good, My Problem was the Injectors were not plugged in tight as I did not lock them in place when I plugged them in I just pushed them on and several had backed off due to the rubber seal inside the connectors.
After I got that sorted it started and ran.

I wanted a good towing off road cam that I purchased from a Hemi Web sight that specialized in newer Hemi stuff, I was told that they had used it on one of their trucks that had a 5.7 with Eagle heads that made good power.
It sounds very very healthy! Probably way too much cam for what I wanted. I think I am gonna need a Torque converter?

I have been trying to find some one to tune it properly with a Dyno here locally in the Las Vegas NV area and I am not having the best of luck. Does anyone have a suggestion????

Why do all of these tunners Not answer phone calls? they all want email or Text messaging. The last Tune I got on my C5 Corvette the Guy really messed up my car so I wont be going back to him.That was a shady deal as well.
The new guy I was talking to yesterday seams to know his stuff and I will probably use him but forgive me if I am a little gun shy.

I was checking out HP tunners software and watching a Bunch of You Tube videos I have to admit I am not at all made confident by a lot of the video info out their all seams very generic and mostly by novices.
Looking for some one to set this thing up right. I dont have to pass emisions here were I live and this thing isnt gonna be anything more than a Tow rig for my CJ7.
The HP tuner stuff Seams a Bit complicated for the Hemis ? I am an Old Carb Jets metering rods and Distributor guy So I am a bit Leary about trying this tuning stuff out myself.

Last edited by Doright; 01/03/24 12:16 PM.

D Barnett
A&P mechanic,
Re: 07 5.7 build with eagle heads [Re: Doright] #3205385
01/16/24 09:55 PM
01/16/24 09:55 PM
Pahrump NV.
D
Doright Offline OP
Doright  Offline OP
D

Pahrump NV.
I checked my push rods they are fine the intakes were perfect .050 over zero lash. the exhaust was .078 over I ordered another set that was just .050 over zero. max is .080 over according to every one I talked to.

Got it all back together did a comp test sold 175 on all 8 it runs Kinda! but wont idle unless I disconnect a Vacuum line to lean it out,
Then it will idle enough to get it into gear to move it but if I touch the gas peddle it immediately throws a throttle body light (lightning bolt) and goes into limp mode what I think is limp mode and runs like [censored].
If I leave the vacuum line hooked up it wont idle at all, I have to keep the rpm up around 1800-2000 rpm then it will rev but only to about 4k rpm then cuts out.

I tried another throttle body but it runs the same. I don't know if this is the way it should run or not never been in this situation with a modified computer controlled hemi before.

Its running on all 8 but I am worried the tuner will find something else is wrong with it and then I will end up spending money on repairs their in his shop that I can do myself.

I found a Tunner That is gonna tow to his shop next week to finish the exhaust system from the Headers back and tune it. BUT I don't want him to take it if there is something else wrong with it.

Help? Suggestions? thoughts? ideas? advise? criticism? thanks in advance!

Last edited by Doright; 01/16/24 09:59 PM.

D Barnett
A&P mechanic,
Page 1 of 2 1 2