Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Do any of the more tech savvy guys have any tips for Password security? Over the last 18 months or so, I have been notified by 3 different LARGE organztions that their data banks were breached and my information MAY have been compromised 🤬🤮🤬. The latest outfit was nice enough to notify me 5 months AFTER the event and offer a "FREE" 2 years subscription to IDX (data breach notifications & identity protection service) after which it becomes a 12.00 a month or so.
Wouldn't doubt the "Breached" company has an interest in IDX 😲 rolleyes
It's a real PITA to go through and change all passwords at all ones critical accounts so I thought I'd ask for input wink
TIA beer

Re: Password security?? [Re: TJP] #3169989
08/23/23 08:19 PM
08/23/23 08:19 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
Sounds like a scam to get your information twocents

Gus beer

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: Password security?? [Re: TJP] #3169997
08/23/23 08:32 PM
08/23/23 08:32 PM
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Can...
moparmike1 Offline
top fuel
moparmike1  Offline
top fuel

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Can...
Originally Posted by TJP
It's a real PITA to go through and change all passwords at all ones critical accounts so I thought I'd ask for input wink
TIA beer

Yes, it is a PITA to change all of your passwords.

You know what's an even bigger PITA? When your banking information has been compromised or worse, the start of identity theft.

Change your passwords immediately and ignore the IDX offer.

Mike.

Re: Password security?? [Re: fourgearsavoy] #3169998
08/23/23 08:34 PM
08/23/23 08:34 PM
A collage of whims
topside Online content
Too Many Posts
topside  Online Content
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
I've received a few of those data breach letters, and every one has offered some free credit/security deal.
I don't do much of anything serious - like banking - online, and my passwords are very personal and obtuse.
Haven't had any issues, and I haven't taken any of those offers.
The less any internet entity knows about me, the better, though maybe I'm a bit of a Don Quixote.

Re: Password security?? [Re: TJP] #3170026
08/23/23 11:08 PM
08/23/23 11:08 PM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Originally Posted by TJP
Do any of the more tech savvy guys have any tips for Password security? Over the last 18 months or so, I have been notified by 3 different LARGE organztions that their data banks were breached and my information MAY have been compromised 🤬🤮🤬. The latest outfit was nice enough to notify me 5 months AFTER the event and offer a "FREE" 2 years subscription to IDX (data breach notifications & identity protection service) after which it becomes a 12.00 a month or so.
TIA beer

I use Firefox, it offers to create a securely generated password, for instance: G.4tK,^pXa8U;c; It's got caps, lower case, numbers, special characters, all the recommended characteristics of secure passwords. Firefox keeps track of your passwords for you in a password manager so you don't even have to memorize them.. There's also paid websites, like lastpass.com.

IF you use Firefox on all your devices and create a Firefox account, sign into Firefox on all your devices, all your passwords will be synced across all your devices. Change the password on one device and all will be synced automagically. 2¢

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: Password security?? [Re: 3hundred] #3170048
08/24/23 06:31 AM
08/24/23 06:31 AM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

so the password thing is really pissing me off.
they keep changing the length and complexity like people hack passwords.
when in reality it is data breaches like you speak of that cause passwords to be compromised.
in order to minimize your password changes, the recommendation is to not reuse passwords on different sites.
in general I only care about stuff that might cost me money if someone got in.
moparts is a throw away password, that was probably compromised years ago. but worst case is they post some crap and put up stuff for sale in my name.

ebay is 2 factor authentication, as are paypal and my bank accounts. each with unique passwords.
having said that. I use pattern passwords, not actual words or anything.
you just pick a pattern on the keyboard, and use that for the password.
it becomes a little tricky when you do it on a cell phone or when you do it on a shifted keyboard, but otherwise it isn't a big deal.
makes it easier to remember random passwords because you just shift the pattern over one and it is a different password.

Re: Password security?? [Re: Andrewh] #3170050
08/24/23 06:54 AM
08/24/23 06:54 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline
master
MI_Custumz  Offline
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I know a couple people at work that use the following method and it seems to work for them. Some systems need 8 character passwords and some need 16 characters. The way they do it, it includes a number, capital letter, and special character. They find a 6 letter word (like mopart for example) and a number (2 for example). Their password would be 2M@opart for the 8 letter and they just repeat it for the 16 one. So basically to remember it, they say their password is 2mopart and they can jot it down and if someone gets it, they may not be able to figure it out easily.

Re: Password security?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3170055
08/24/23 07:50 AM
08/24/23 07:50 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Two-factor authentication is quick and easy.

FWIW, I'm not so sure that these security breaches will expose your actual username and password. Most likely just the actual data in the account.

Last edited by Stanton; 08/24/23 07:52 AM.
Re: Password security?? [Re: fourgearsavoy] #3170147
08/24/23 02:01 PM
08/24/23 02:01 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
Sounds like a scam to get your information twocents

Gus beer

unfortunately it was from a company I had and investment with, as were the other notices. I did check IDX and they are a legit well established firm frown

Re: Password security?? [Re: Stanton] #3170149
08/24/23 02:06 PM
08/24/23 02:06 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
A while ago my Yahoo email got hacked and I managed to get it locked down with in minutes of it being hijacked. The problem then was it was tied to my old land line phone number. The system wants to text a temporary password to the original account phone number. Even if I still had the landline I couldn't het the text.

The worst part of the whole process was I lost all my contact list. What a pain!

I might suggest to at least update your accounts, their passwords, and the contact phone number, the account is tied to, occasionally.

Re: Password security?? [Re: Andrewh] #3170150
08/24/23 02:07 PM
08/24/23 02:07 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Andrewh
so the password thing is really pissing me off.
they keep changing the length and complexity like people hack passwords.

when in reality it is data breaches like you speak of that cause passwords to be compromised.
in order to minimize your password changes, the recommendation is to not reuse passwords on different sites.
in general I only care about stuff that might cost me money if someone got in.

moparts is a throw away password, that was probably compromised years ago. but worst case is they post some crap and put up stuff for sale in my name.

ebay is 2 factor authentication, as are paypal and my bank accounts. each with unique passwords.
having said that. I use pattern passwords, not actual words or anything.
you just pick a pattern on the keyboard, and use that for the password.
it becomes a little tricky when you do it on a cell phone or when you do it on a shifted keyboard, but otherwise it isn't a big deal.
makes it easier to remember random passwords because you just shift the pattern over one and it is a different password.

How does one remember the random pattern for different sites? And Yes the critical account like banks, Medical, SS, credit cards etc. are the ones to be concerned with up

Re: Password security?? [Re: moparmike1] #3170152
08/24/23 02:11 PM
08/24/23 02:11 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by moparmike1
Originally Posted by TJP
TIA beer

Yes, it is a PITA to change all of your passwords.

You know what's an even bigger PITA? When your banking information has been compromised or worse, the start of identity theft.

Change your passwords immediately and ignore the IDX offer.

Mike.

I took the IDX offer as it was legit and changed all my critical passwords. Part of what P's me off is it took them 5-6 months to notify me. NICE!!!!
I'd love to bill them for my time which they should be liable for IMO. 🤬😡🤬🤬🤬🤬

Re: Password security?? [Re: poorboy] #3170154
08/24/23 02:22 PM
08/24/23 02:22 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by poorboy
A while ago my Yahoo email got hacked and I managed to get it locked down with in minutes of it being hijacked. The problem then was it was tied to my old land line phone number. The system wants to text a temporary password to the original account phone number. Even if I still had the landline I couldn't het the text.

The worst part of the whole process was I lost all my contact list. What a pain!

I might suggest to at least update your accounts, their passwords, and the contact phone number, the account is tied to, occasionally.

I have the opposing problem, landline and no cell. Wife has one but it's not always available. I have noted more companies only offer a cell or email for the 2nd form of ID which is fine IF one has access to their email.
What happens if they can't as the system crashed and they need the password to get back in to look at the email?

Another question is what if the hackers get into the PW management system's data banks?
Or the "Cloud" ?
shruggy whistling

Re: Password security?? [Re: 3hundred] #3170158
08/24/23 02:27 PM
08/24/23 02:27 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 3hundred
Originally Posted by TJP
TIA beer

I use Firefox, it offers to create a securely generated password, for instance: G.4tK,^pXa8U;c; It's got caps, lower case, numbers, special characters, all the recommended characteristics of secure passwords. Firefox keeps track of your passwords for you in a password manager so you don't even have to memorize them.. There's also paid websites, like lastpass.com.

IF you use Firefox on all your devices and create a Firefox account, sign into Firefox on all your devices, all your passwords will be synced across all your devices. Change the password on one device and all will be synced automagically. 2¢

Hmm Have to look into that, I do have a FF account as well as Opera, Edge, and Chrome. Are you saying that FF will encrypt the PW across all of the other browsers?
I believe i heard something about Chrome doing a similar thing but not sure?

Re: Password security?? [Re: TJP] #3170161
08/24/23 02:29 PM
08/24/23 02:29 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I wanted to post a separate note to thank all that have responded so far. please keep them coming up

Re: Password security?? [Re: poorboy] #3170167
08/24/23 02:46 PM
08/24/23 02:46 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by poorboy
Even if I still had the landline I couldn't het the text.

Sure you can !! On a landline txts are spoken with an automated voice

Re: Password security?? [Re: TJP] #3170224
08/24/23 07:45 PM
08/24/23 07:45 PM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by TJP
TIA beer

Hmm Have to look into that, I do have a FF account as well as Opera, Edge, and Chrome. Are you saying that FF will encrypt the PW across all of the other browsers?
I believe i heard something about Chrome doing a similar thing but not sure?

Just got the data breach deal today, like you they offered a limited time IBX deal. We've declined and decided to freeze our credit, already have more than we need.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/credit-education/preventing-fraud/security-freeze/

Did all three for each of us for free. FWIW, didn't see anything on experian, checked our credit card account, all kosher, so far.

Firefox only works with Firefox, the nice thing is, and I'm sure there's something similar for the other browsers, is you can go into the "hamburger" menu and select passwords, there you'll find all your saved logins and passwords. Is it secure? I guess, been using it for years, no problems noticed to date.

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: Password security?? [Re: 3hundred] #3170228
08/24/23 07:54 PM
08/24/23 07:54 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
I use one of two approaches depending on what mood I am in.

1) Bible verses: Ecclesiastes20:15
2) Cars: 1967Hupmobile

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Password security?? [Re: 3hundred] #3170253
08/24/23 10:07 PM
08/24/23 10:07 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Just got the data breach deal today, like you they offered a limited time IBX deal. We've declined and decided to freeze our credit, already have more than we need.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/credit-education/preventing-fraud/security-freeze/

Did all three for each of us for free. FWIW, didn't see anything on experian, checked our credit card account, all kosher, so far.

Firefox only works with Firefox, the nice thing is, and I'm sure there's something similar for the other browsers, is you can go into the "hamburger" menu and select passwords, there you'll find all your saved logins and passwords. Is it secure? I guess, been using it for years, no problems noticed to date.

As mentioned, I'm wondering if some of this isn't meant to pump up sales for the PW managing outfits 🙄 shruggy And what happens when they get breached ? I started questioning things after the events that followed Nov. 22 1963, and in1968. twocents

Re: Password security?? [Re: TJP] #3170257
08/24/23 10:12 PM
08/24/23 10:12 PM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Originally Posted by TJP
As mentioned, I'm wondering if some of this isn't meant to pump up sales for the PW managing outfits 🙄 shruggy

I don't think so, passwords are on their way out, what's supposed to replace them, I dunno, I haven't kept up. Whatever it is, I'm sure I WON'T like it.

With passwordless technology coming into play, some companies have begun exploring the possibilities which could mean the end for passwords.

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Page 1 of 2 1 2