08/16/23 11:53 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
My uncle went to sell parts. He sold the drivetrain related parts he took, but no sheet metal. He had some nice fenders and doors for 68-70 B bodies and didn't even have anyone look at them surprisingly. From what he could tell, he said it didn't seem like body parts were selling very well?

He sold a B body Dana 60 and a '70 E body pistol grip for me...sold them pretty quick.

I didn't sell any sheet metal either, and a pair of AMD quarters for a 67 Dart are still in the package. I was $100 cheaper than anyone else there on them too...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: Rhinodart] #3168279
08/16/23 01:34 PM
08/16/23 01:34 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Had a great time. Brought a shopping list and was partially successful.
Definitely scored a few deals/couple things been shopping for over a year, glad I held out as the discounts were deep and the need wasn't super immediate.

My buddy who drove this year actually was shopping for 69 B body sheetmetal, the problem was nobody had the pieces he wanted
on hand.

Didn't get to buy my DMT parts there like I wanted as Jim was packed up, about to leave and helping another vendor take inventory just as I approached
his tent, so I ended up buying some of it from that vendor instead. Seemed like nobody else had cat whiskers so I had to interrupt the inventory count to buy them
which was awkward, but the other vendor was about to pack up and leave due to weather concerns as well.

The weather turned out beautiful Saturday and was pretty comfortable with a good breeze (but no freaky destructive gusts).

Got late in the afternoon and I ended up making a bunch of parts orders on my phone for whatever I couldn't find.

NSS makes me want to get my car done and get it back out, even more than previously...which I needed.
A little inspiration is always welcome.

Buckeye lake was insanity for sure.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: Rhinodart] #3168284
08/16/23 02:06 PM
08/16/23 02:06 PM
NJ
rdrnr6970 Offline
Your #1 source for current events
rdrnr6970  Offline
Your #1 source for current events

NJ
Out sick today and watching Jack's Place on YouTube from this past weekends Nats show saw a few cool cars I havnt seen before one was a rough 69 White Charger drag car that was found in a garage in Phila PA I t
was wearing mags ,ran had the rear window taped in,still a cool car!Also a nice white 70 Charger RT with blue interior.Also 70 superbird yellow, needing some work,no headlight buckets had little lights where headlights would be.Think I remember it from years ago.Never saw it on the road. drive

Last edited by rdrnr6970; 08/16/23 02:08 PM.

OWNER OF EVERYTHING FROM 1956 300 B,IMPERIAL,NEW YORKER HEMIS,AND NEW HEMI TRUCKS.....5TH GENRAMS.COM... 1969/70 ROADRUNNERS ,DARTS/CORONETS, NORTHEAST HEMI OWNERS ASSOCIATION.....WWW.PHANTASMCUDAS.COM....MOPAR FAMILY FOR 50 YEARS AND STILL GOING!MOPAR OWNER COAST TO COAST!!!!
Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: rdrnr6970] #3168348
08/16/23 06:14 PM
08/16/23 06:14 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
A couple videos of Kayse (the wife) doing a burnout at the dealership cruise.

Thanks to the buddies that took the videos!

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: RoadRunnerLuva] #3168368
08/16/23 08:14 PM
08/16/23 08:14 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
Originally Posted by gtx6970
I've been. To most ..but not all ( cross country move has its disadvantages fornthis

But much prefer the Nats over Carlisle.

But I do want to congratulate my younger brother.

It's a nice car...not perfect by any means.

2nd two years in a row .
But he kept making improvements in the off season
Got 1st in class last year A body stock. Class of 2022
And 1st place this year senior class of 2023

Just a beautiful Duster! Can you give us more info on your brothers car? Tell him I said, congrats on his class win, that is excellent! up

Will do, Thanks

His OE style battery took a dump about a week before the show. he was not happy

I was looking for either NOS or a very nice redone grill and head light bezels for my car. I found ONE restored grille. But at $3600 . I passed.
I found NO used ones or head light bezels

Bought a Nats T shirt, 2 hubcaps and a radiator hose.

Was shopping around for lunch. But Im not paying $8 for a corn dog. down

We ate on the way back home instead.

Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: Michael] #3168478
08/17/23 11:26 AM
08/17/23 11:26 AM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source

San Jose,CA
After readin about the Nationals and Carile for the last 30 years, I think I'm going to attend one of te shows next year. Hopefully I can get hotel and flight info early so I will know and plan my vacation properly.

Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: migsBIG] #3168535
08/17/23 01:19 PM
08/17/23 01:19 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Originally Posted by migsBIG
After readin about the Nationals and Carile for the last 30 years, I think I'm going to attend one of te shows next year. Hopefully I can get hotel and flight info early so I will know and plan my vacation properly.

If you are thinking that you want to go to either show next year you need to start looking for a motel now if you want to stay at a place as close as possible to the event.
Most motels are booked a year in advance, make a reservation which can always be canceled if you can't make the trip.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: SNK-EYZ] #3168580
08/17/23 04:31 PM
08/17/23 04:31 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Some of you speak of judging like its such a big deal. Well maybe for a handful of people it is, but for the vast majority its just a place to take your Mopar with like-minded folks - most of whom don't have the money nor the time to devote to a trophy-contending trailer queen - and prefer to actually drive their cars! You can hype up the judging all you want, do your chest pounding, etc., but the reality is, most attendees don't care.

Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: Stanton] #3168584
08/17/23 04:45 PM
08/17/23 04:45 PM
Walton, Indiana
TimS Offline
top fuel
TimS  Offline
top fuel

Walton, Indiana
Originally Posted by Stanton
Some of you speak of judging like its such a big deal. Well maybe for a handful of people it is, but for the vast majority its just a place to take your Mopar with like-minded folks - most of whom don't have the money nor the time to devote to a trophy-contending trailer queen - and prefer to actually drive their cars! You can hype up the judging all you want, do your chest pounding, etc., but the reality is, most attendees don't care.

Absolutely.

1968 Barracuda Fastback 318-2BBL 904 2.76 Frost Blue Survivor
1970 Roadrunner 440+6 BBL 727 AT 4.10 SG Dana Blue Fire Metallic
1971 Cuda 340-4 BBL 4spd 3.91 SG Curious Yellow
1972 Barracuda 318-2 BBL 904 AT 3.23 1 Legger Tor Red/White Vinyl Top
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi AT Patriot Blue
2011 Dodge Challenger RT 5.7 Hemi 6spd 392 SG Triple Black
2014 Dodge Charger RT Max AWD 5.7 Hemi AT 305 Billet Silver
Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: Stanton] #3168639
08/17/23 08:26 PM
08/17/23 08:26 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

I've judge for over 30 years, some people don't care, some do. I judged the Mopar Nats for over 10 years and had one guy that brought his 68 Barracuda every year to make sure he got it right, and it was in the modified category. He just wanted to learn and know that he was doing things the correct way and he was a joy to be around! He drove his car everywhere, not all show cars are trailer queens. He probably liked seeing your cars too, the vast majority do too. It takes everyone to turn this big old world, just remember opinions vary... wave

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: Stanton] #3168707
08/18/23 02:09 AM
08/18/23 02:09 AM
State of retirement
52savoy Offline
master
52savoy  Offline
master

State of retirement

Having a judged Chrysler car is a BIG DEAL. It would be an even bigger (loss)deal considering all the judged brands, that there weren't any judged Chrysler Corp vehicles at all to represent us. I've never had anything near that good and if I did it would be driven because that's what they were meant for.
It's just a guess but I think 25-30 or so years back, most of us did care.

Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: TimS] #3168762
08/18/23 10:51 AM
08/18/23 10:51 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by TimS

Absolutely.

Seems to me that is an odd sentiment. Has anyone done a survey of attendees as to what events/activities were the reason they attended?

I have great respect for anyone in the Mopar community who excels at what they do even if not a lot of others appreciate it. It certainly takes at least as much time, money, effort, dedication, and knowledge to build a competitive show car as it does to build a competitive race car. Doesn't it? And at some level both become trailer queens. Since the vast majority of our cars are just 'driver examples', those guys that seek to elevate their cars above that and want to compete to see how good a job they have done, is praise worthy. And that applies to both racers and restos.

Personally, I am far more great grateful to those guys that keep super nice original examples of our cars 'as they were' than I am to guys who are still cutting them up and modifying them to go faster with non Mopar parts. There is certainly a place for that and I enjoy it, too. But there are far fewer nice original examples of our cars left than there are heavily modified ones. And IMHO those efforts are worth supporting.

Master, again and still
Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: Rhinodart] #3168767
08/18/23 11:09 AM
08/18/23 11:09 AM
Nashville, TN
M
MOPARMIKE69 Offline
master
MOPARMIKE69  Offline
master
M

Nashville, TN
Originally Posted by Rhinodart

I've judge for over 30 years, some people don't care, some do. I judged the Mopar Nats for over 10 years and had one guy that brought his 68 Barracuda every year to make sure he got it right, and it was in the modified category. He just wanted to learn and know that he was doing things the correct way and he was a joy to be around! He drove his car everywhere, not all show cars are trailer queens. He probably liked seeing your cars too, the vast majority do too. It takes everyone to turn this big old world, just remember opinions vary... wave

Gotta remember this is coming from Mr Sunshine Stanton.

69 Road Runner vert
69 GTX hard top
70 Road Runner 4 speed
70 Hemi Cuda vert
Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: DaveRS23] #3168769
08/18/23 11:13 AM
08/18/23 11:13 AM
Nashville, TN
M
MOPARMIKE69 Offline
master
MOPARMIKE69  Offline
master
M

Nashville, TN
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Originally Posted by TimS

Absolutely.

Seems to me that is an odd sentiment. Has anyone done a survey of attendees as to what events/activities were the reason they attended?

I have great respect for anyone in the Mopar community who excels at what they do even if not a lot of others appreciate it. It certainly takes at least as much time, money, effort, dedication, and knowledge to build a competitive show car as it does to build a competitive race car. Doesn't it? And at some level both become trailer queens. Since the vast majority of our cars are just 'driver examples', those guys that seek to elevate their cars above that and want to compete to see how good a job they have done, is praise worthy. And that applies to both racers and restos.

Personally, I am far more great grateful to those guys that keep super nice original examples of our cars 'as they were' than I am to guys who are still cutting them up and modifying them to go faster with non Mopar parts. There is certainly a place for that and I enjoy it, too. But there are far fewer nice original examples of our cars left than there are heavily modified ones. And IMHO those efforts are worth supporting.

Exactly!!!!!

69 Road Runner vert
69 GTX hard top
70 Road Runner 4 speed
70 Hemi Cuda vert
Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: MOPARMIKE69] #3168785
08/18/23 12:19 PM
08/18/23 12:19 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Ive been going to the Nats Since the 1st Chrysler Car Club Convention in MI , then St Louis , etc etc etc
Ive been to MOST but not all of them.
Even spent some time as a judge in the past.

IMO the best days of any of these shows is behind us. Look around next time you're at one of them. A vast majority of the crowd are grey hairs ( myself included )

Most of the high end cars have attained a value its not worth the risk to drive them like we did 25 -30 years ago. Thus why a large and growing portion of the cars have shifted to modern Chargers, Challengers , SRTs , PT cruisers , Ram trucks etc etc etc

Carlisle keeps saying they break a record every year with car count. BUT,,,, How many of them are newer models compared to the vintage stuff. Myself dont go to shows to see a zerox copy of Dodge dealership lots.
After a 6 or 7 year hiatus from the Nats I went this year. Sure its down, and I saw a lot of the same newer stuff as any other show.( all brand shows included )
But for me its to see and hang with friends Ive met along the way. Maybe pick up a few misc parts. Seeing some cool old iron is a huge bonus. Even if it's not the same number of or quality of cars as years past. Its till the Nats and I. And IMO the best of them all. Is it perfect? ,,,,oh hell no. None of them are.
When doing an event of this magnitude. there is simply no way on gods green earth you will please everyone there . Thats simply not possible. So you do the best you can with what you're given and move forward.

The biggest difference between Carlisle and the Nats. Is self-owned property versus a leased facility for the weekend. Far more to deal with and have to please one versus the other. As attendees we look at them as a weekend getaway. For the organizers its a yearlong job, 2nd job to most.

So, enjoy them both or the one YOU prefer. Because odds are ,,,maybe ,,,,someday,,,,There just might be a day when we cant.

wave

Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: gtx6970] #3168867
08/18/23 04:11 PM
08/18/23 04:11 PM
albany ny
05dakota Offline
I Live Here
05dakota  Offline
I Live Here

albany ny
i stayed home and used the money to rebuild the front end on my cuda and for new tires

5549 post on old board
Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: Michael] #3169246
08/20/23 03:59 PM
08/20/23 03:59 PM
ohio
B
bigblockrik Offline
bigblockrik  Offline
B

ohio
I won the burn out contest on Saturday it was a blast !!!

OLFX4293.JPG
Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: bigblockrik] #3169278
08/20/23 07:06 PM
08/20/23 07:06 PM
S.E.Ohio
Magnumguy Offline
I Live Here
Magnumguy  Offline
I Live Here

S.E.Ohio
I always have a good time, meet up with friends, fellow Maggie enthusiasts. I didn't step foot in the swap this year, which was a first,, but I've been so blessed to have acquired all the goodies I need. But always looking ( y'all know how it is... )

I do wish they'd organize cars by class ( body ) though. I'll keep going.

"Multiple Magnum owner since 1978!!"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146952895354657/
Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: gtx6970] #3169952
08/23/23 05:42 PM
08/23/23 05:42 PM
Carlisle, PA
C
cudaboy340 Offline
super stock
cudaboy340  Offline
super stock
C

Carlisle, PA
Originally Posted by gtx6970

Carlisle keeps saying they break a record every year with car count. BUT,,,, How many of them are newer models compared to the vintage stuff.

So, enjoy them both or the one YOU prefer. Because odds are ,,,maybe ,,,,someday,,,,There just might be a day when we cant.

wave

Let me address the latter comment first. You are absolutely right, enjoy what we have before it's gone. All of this complaining about The Nats gets old. I started going in the late '80s. Yes, the show has changed but so has the entire hobby. For ME, The Nats was all about the drag racing and the Pro Street cars back then. I haven't watched one car go down the track in the last 10-15 years. But that's just me. I will say that I've been starting to look at drag cars and "hot rods" a lot more lately so maybe I'm starting to move to another stage of the "Mopar Cycle." The bottom line is, there are tons of cars, parts and people. It's all Mopar. So what's not to like about The Nats??

As far as how many cars are newer at Carlisle, boy am I glad you asked!!! I did an analysis on this back in 2016 (I believe) and I was quite surprised back then as I found many of the individual A,B & E-Body classes had hit an all-time high for turnout. I honestly hadn't had time to do another analysis since then but due to a lot of comments on Facebook and now this thread, I decided to take the time yesterday to run some numbers. Due to my reports, I was only able to go back to 2006, but that's almost 20 years. Here are the results:

- All of the late model Chargers, Challengers, 300s and Magnums only increased by 12 cars since last year. We went from 809 to 821.
- Out of the 3156 registered show vehicles this year, only 821 of them were modern muscle.
- Pre-1981 cars increased by 34 from 2022 to 2023.
- We had the most pre-1981 cars we've had from 2006-2023 (remember, I don't have comparable data prior to 2006 at this time, but I don't think it will be any higher than 2006 numbers).
- A, B & C-Bodies ALL increased from 2022 to 2023. E-Bodies dropped by ONE car.
- A, B & C-Body cars were all the highest ever from 2006-2023 (again, I don't currently have comparable data prior to 2006 at this time).

I was able to pull the TOTAL car count back to 2001 and the show grew every year with 1646 cars in 2001 and 2165 cars in 2006. Since the then new LC/LX cars had just come out, I think it's safe to say that the Chargers and Challengers were NOT contributing to the show back then so the classics had to be where the growth was coming from. In fact, here are the total numbers for LC/LX cars for 2004-2006:
-2004: 0
-2005: 49
-2006: 26 (I have no idea why they dropped by almost half that year)

The bottom line is, all of the growth and record numbers we are having are not just from the newer cars!! The older car classes are growing, too, except for E-Bodies. E-Bodies have dropped off slightly (we had 27 fewer E-Bodies this year than we had in 2006 and as noted above, they dropped by ONE car from 2022 to 2023). I personally think this is GREAT news for the hobby. Yes, we are seeing growth from the Modern Muscle Mopars, but we are seeing MORE growth from the A, B & C-Body Mopars.

I can't wait to use this DATA on Facebook the next time someone says that our record number of 3156 at Carlisle is all new Chargers and Challengers!!

Ed B

Re: Nationals experience...... [Re: cudaboy340] #3169958
08/23/23 06:28 PM
08/23/23 06:28 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Thanks Ed,

Appreciate the feedback.