Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
i don't know how or why I get into these situations but they seem to find me eek
68 GTS 383 4 Spd. Owner took it to a shop as he felt the clutch was slipping. One of them selected a Mcleod Diaphragm street level clutch and installed it. When he went to pick up the car, the clutch chattered violently. Its the only word I can think of to describe how it came in to me. The shop tried several different things including modifying the clutch linkage. shruggy shruggy I do not know if they resurfaced the flywheel or not shruggy After several attempts to correct the problem the owner became frustrated and took it to another shop.
They resurfaced the flywheel to a Mirror finish ( Never seen that before?) And proceeded to install a new LUK diaphragm clutch and disc. They reworked the Z-bar and mounts again. it appears to be functioning but is not straight across. They also tried several different things and gave the car back to him at no charge.
I did a little tuning on the motor as it was running poorly and missing.
It definitely helped a bit but the chatter is still horrible and violent. Think of rear bad wheel hop, but worse
So far I have done the following:
1. Checked the motor and trans mounts. The trans mount is a bit soft but still in 1 piece. Cross member is tight
2. Removed the Override spring
3. Adjusted the clutch as it was way to high and not releasing completely (PP was actually preloaded a reasonable amount).
4. Checked all the rear spring bolts and mounts. He said they were replaced about 7 years ago with springs from espo and urethane bushings. Everything was tight and all the spring clamps were in place and tight.
5. Checked Crankshaft endplay (.007)
6. Checked pressure plate clearance at 6 places. All at .057 with feeler gauges
7. Checked clutch disc runout. All seemed even again at .057 with feeler gauges.
8. Checked the bellhousing as best as possible in the car
9. Checked the bellhousing bolts
I have not checked the pinion angle yet.

This is happening in forward and reverse while trying to let the clutch out normally from a stop. Once moving the owner says it's fine (not sure if that includes downshifting?
taking off in second (3:91's) helps but have to slip the clutch a bit.
The only thing I've noted so far is the mirror finish on the flywheel which I've never seen before confused
In closing, The wife commented that she could visibly see the back of the springs reacting to the chatter.
Any ideas before I pull the trans and clutch ?
TIA

Last edited by TJP; 09/05/23 01:11 PM.
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop [Re: TJP] #3167555
08/12/23 11:52 PM
08/12/23 11:52 PM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Could a polished flywheel cause the disc surface to become "glazed"?
Aren't they supposed to be machined and not ground?

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop [Re: PhillyRag] #3167564
08/13/23 05:47 AM
08/13/23 05:47 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
I’ve had two customers come in with the same complaint that hated there diaphragm clutches. I changed them both to the OEM Borge and Beck design and they left smooth happy. I won’t install a diaphragm in any car I work on. Some people like them but I don’t. The ratio of the clutch release for a mopar is too fast for a diaphragm. Sounds like he’s got several problems envolved here.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop [Re: fastmark] #3167567
08/13/23 06:13 AM
08/13/23 06:13 AM
MN
D
Droop69 Offline
super stock
Droop69  Offline
super stock
D

MN
I have had poor results with the diaphragm clutches also. Other guys I know have had good results with them, I think you are onto something with the surface of the flywheel. Maybe a contaminated clutch disc?

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop [Re: Droop69] #3167585
08/13/23 09:20 AM
08/13/23 09:20 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
Have to wonder what kind of 1/2 azz shop installs a new clutch without resurfacing the flywheel.30 years a a master tech and never did that since I was like 20 and had no $$$ etc.As for a diaphram we run them in our cars.Mine 20 years and counting behind my built 440.Sons in his built 360 truck has been in forever but just started driving this year when he got it out of storage.We run CF setups and never a problem Have installed them in other Mopars also and they work.Id say flywhell is the problem as that is what mostly causes chatter.

Chrysler Firepower
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop [Re: therocks] #3167597
08/13/23 10:05 AM
08/13/23 10:05 AM
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
Every 4 speed gm I've worked on with diaph. was like that, the one car has been through 3 of them. Some of them not bas bad as others. Get that p.o.s out of there and put in what the Chrysler engineers. put in there. Is my 2 cents. Its not the finish, my buddys L34 70 Chevelle has been ground every time. I have done a few in my brake lathe for other apps and they were fine.

That being said, you could refinish/grind, and try another brand, I would like to try a centerforce next in the Chevelle.

If you really pay attention, Diaphragms all do it to some varying degree.

There is some bias hidden in there. whistling

p.s. I typed this before saw the last post.

Last edited by B1MAXX; 08/13/23 10:06 AM.
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop [Re: B1MAXX] #3167603
08/13/23 10:54 AM
08/13/23 10:54 AM
A collage of whims
topside Online content
Too Many Posts
topside  Online Content
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Interesting - I've never had a problem with diaphragm clutches, or B&B - main difference to me was the B&Bs have higher pedal effort.
I like Centerforce for diaphragms.
Mirror-finish flywheel is something I've never seen; seems to me that would cause slippage, then heat, which would then accumulate disc-material deposits, then chatter.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop [Re: topside] #3167608
08/13/23 11:16 AM
08/13/23 11:16 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
If the flywheel had burned hot spots before grinding that could be your problem. Those spots get case hardened DEEP into the face so even after re surfacing they are still there even if you can’t see. I’d get a new wheel, case closed. Had the problem in my 64 (b and b) thought the dash was going to break, new flywheel, fixed,

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop [Re: cudaman1969] #3167612
08/13/23 11:36 AM
08/13/23 11:36 AM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
Anyone replace the pilot bushing? Like others, the flywheel finish is too smooth to me. Also, the clamping force of the pressure plate may be weak. Another thing: is the disc flat with no Marcel? Marcel is the wavy spring between the linings. If it's flat, uncompressed, you can't fart around on working the clutch. In or out, no slipping. If you see the wavy spring between the linings uncompressed, its got Marcel.

Carl Kessel
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop [Re: CKessel] #3167621
08/13/23 12:25 PM
08/13/23 12:25 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
The problem isn't a diaphragm clutch, been running them for years with zero issues in place of the overly stiff OEM setup. I got three daughters, teaching them to drive stick was much easier lol.

Odds are it's the flywheel as others have mentioned. We already know a "mirror finish" is the wrong one for a flywheel. Now what damage that may have caused, to the disc, well you will have to inspect and make that call.

With this setup I would assume nothing was done right before you got it so go from that position and fix what we know is wrong, then test.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop [Re: Sniper] #3167628
08/13/23 01:00 PM
08/13/23 01:00 PM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
Some other things to check that come to mind. Is the car using all of the components, other than clutch assy, that it came with from Ma Mopar? Or is it a mix and match? Did someone swap in an a-body A engine trans in and not know that the B engine trans use the larger from bearing retainer which is bb/hemi only? Giving you hotdog in the hallway since the A trans uses the smaller retainer therefore trans to bell housing alignment is not happening.

Last edited by CKessel; 08/13/23 01:04 PM.

Carl Kessel
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop [Re: CKessel] #3167629
08/13/23 01:16 PM
08/13/23 01:16 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by CKessel
Some other things to check that come to mind. Is the car using all of the components, other than clutch assy, that it came with from Ma Mopar? Or is it a mix and match? Did someone swap in an a-body A engine trans in and not know that the B engine trans use the larger from bearing retainer which is bb/hemi only? Giving you hotdog in the hallway since the A trans uses the smaller retainer therefore trans to bell housing alignment is not happening.

Going to have to comment here, later A bodies used the large retainer, think A833OD. You can easily swap in a large retainer where the small one used to be., I believe both Brewer's and Passon have them.

But you hit on a good point we know someone has monkeyed with the linkages in a effort to fix the problem, that might be part of the issue as well. However, his plate departure numbers look good so maybe not.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop [Re: Sniper] #3167661
08/13/23 03:59 PM
Conway, SC
T2R9 Offline
master
T2R9  Offline
master

Conway, SC
Had the same problem recently and it turned out to be a dry pilot bushing.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: CKessel] #3167662
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
First off, a bigthank you to all that replied. up
The car is an original big block GTS
*My understanding is the 1st shop DID NOT resurface the Flywheel when installing the Mcleod
clutch.
*The second shop did with the LUK clutch.
* Both shops monkeyed with the Linkage/ Z bar.
*There are 2- Z bars in the trunk along with a multitude of linkage parts/mounts
*I have installed over a 100 Centerforce clutches in a many different Pre 1980 makes and models with only 1 issue. Long story but once it was removed the issue was apparent and an admitted error on their part frown
* I also have never seen a mirror finish on a flywheel. New, Used, or Resurfaced. I do know "Street Clutches" normally require a 500 or so miles of normal driving to break the clutch in. This, was taught to me years ago, this wears the rough surface on the PP & FW down while transferring clutch materiel to both.
*I thought possibly this was a new technology or something applicable to Race only applications shruggy
*Good thought on the input bearing retainer, it is the correct one. Had more than one bit by that one on chevy's. One was quite funny as I suggested a blow-proof and said owner said no as it was a #'s matching car, 6 mo's later it needed a new trans due to the mentioned issue. It BTW had a truck bellhousing with a larger opening 🙄 🤣

What really Dyson's(keeping it clean,LOL) is I have 2 new clutch assembly's with less than 25 miles on them and I can't use either with any level of confidence.

My thoughts at this time are
1. Try to seat the clutch in by taking off in 2nd or 3rd gear without getting it too hot. Or
2. New PP, disc, flywheel and clutch linkage
I'll attach a few pic's of what was in the trunk. I should mention there is another hacked up clutch linkage still in the car frown I did note inside the Mcleod box was a warning label (see pic below) whistling. I do not know if it was better, worse, or the same with that clutch. But at the present time I would anticipate spot welds starting to break within a very short time.
IT IS THAT BAD.

Any other thoughts, opinions or input is welcomed up

DSC04211.JPGDSC04215.JPGDSC04216.JPGDSC04220.JPG
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3167668
08/13/23 04:59 PM
08/13/23 04:59 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
How about a picture of the Zbar set up on the car?

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: stumpy] #3167669
08/13/23 05:07 PM
08/13/23 05:07 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
I went to McLeod's site and looked up the instructions

The first thing is to make sure that the flywheel is resurfaced with a
new clean drive surface with a course surface texture. We call out an 80 -120 grit surface
finish. You should see a cross hatch in the flywheel that you could run a finger nail across
and the texture would catch your finger nail. This will ensure a proper seating of the disc
against the flywheel and also combat against clutch chatter or judder.

And, maybe also relevant

All McLeod street performance clutches require a Break-In period of 1200 to 1500 clutch
cycles of street type driving before driving at wide open throttle. This procedure is
required to properly seat the disc with the pressure plate and flywheel. You can drive 750
miles on the highway and not depress the clutch pedal enough times to properly seat a
clutch disc.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3167671
08/13/23 05:11 PM
08/13/23 05:11 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
The first thing I would check is the runout of the flywheel. The only thing that usually causes chatter is warped surface or hot spots on the flywheel. You also need to check the surface of the crank flange for runout. This is unlikely though because from what I read from the post it was only slipping with no chatter. That PP you have in the picture looks fine to me because I have run worse than that before with no chatter.
I would try another "known good" flywheel if you can find one. I have also seen this issue when someone let the transmission hang from the bell while searching for the bolts, it had warped the hub on the disc.

Gus beer

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: stumpy] #3167711
08/13/23 07:49 PM
08/13/23 07:49 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by stumpy
How about a picture of the Zbar set up on the car?

here's a few, it' functioning but misaligned . As near as I can measure in the car,
the lower arm to the clutch fork is about 4.0" center of the pin to center of the tube.
the upper is about 5-5.5". It's hard to get and exact with it in place.
The availability of replacements appears slim. I am hoping either someone can confirm the measurements from a known BB z bar or possibly have one they can part with. Right now i don't know what I have confused

DSC04231.JPGDSC04226.JPGDSC04239.JPGDSC04249.JPG
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: fourgearsavoy] #3167712
08/13/23 07:53 PM
08/13/23 07:53 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
The first thing I would check is the runout of the flywheel. The only thing that usually causes chatter is warped surface or hot spots on the flywheel. You also need to check the surface of the crank flange for runout. This is unlikely though because from what I read from the post it was only slipping with no chatter. That PP you have in the picture looks fine to me because I have run worse than that before with no chatter.
I would try another "known good" flywheel if you can find one. I have also seen this issue when someone let the transmission hang from the bell while searching for the bolts, it had warped the hub on the disc.

Gus beer

Originally the owner thought it was slipping, the Chatter started after the replacement(s) . My concern with using the PP & disc is if there is an issue I get to change it again. tsk beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: Sniper] #3167713
08/13/23 07:57 PM
08/13/23 07:57 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Sniper
I went to McLeod's site and looked up the instructions

The first thing is to make sure that the flywheel is resurfaced with a up
new clean drive surface with a course surface texture. We call out an 80 -120 grit surface
finish. You should see a cross hatch in the flywheel that you could run a finger nail across
and the texture would catch your finger nail. This will ensure a proper seating of the disc
against the flywheel and also combat against clutch chatter or judder.

And, maybe also relevant

All McLeod street performance clutches require a Break-In period of 1200 to 1500 clutch
cycles of street type driving before driving at wide open throttle. This procedure is
required to properly seat the disc with the pressure plate and flywheel. You can drive 750
miles on the highway and not depress the clutch pedal enough times to properly seat a
clutch disc.

Thank you, hadn't had a chance to do so but confirms what has been said. I'll attach a pic of the flywheel wher you can clearly see the reflections of the PP

DSC04242.JPG
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop [Re: CKessel] #3167782
08/14/23 09:41 AM
08/14/23 09:41 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.

confused

I have a 69 383 GTS factory 4 speed car, Mopar used the only A body trans that was available behind the 383, small bearing retainer which was bolted to the 67 down small bearing retainer bellhousing used behind all big blocks of the time ... even the early Hemi trans had the small retainer and 307 bearings .... There was no B engine specific transmission for the A body .

running up my post count some more .
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: fourgearsavoy] #3167786
08/14/23 09:55 AM
08/14/23 09:55 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Looking at the pictures of the linkage parts pile I see the original spacer that goes under the Z bracket attached to the bellhousing , it's got the turquoise paint on it. You should check the thickness of the replacement one that is on the car vs the stock one.

My car is a little buried at the moment , I'll see if I can get under the hood to get a look at how the Z bar is , but the angle there look a little extreme to me, though it's got a ball on both ends some some misalignment shouldn't be too critical ???

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3167817
08/14/23 12:00 PM
08/14/23 12:00 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I bought a H code 1969 GTS in the early 1990s minus the original motor, tranny and shifter, console, and tach and exhausts system, I didn't know at that time it was GTS due to the car having all the GTS emblems and decals remove long before I bought it the first time. I ended up putting a late 383 4 speed motor and A body 4 speed in the car with a bunch of mismatched clutch linkage parts and a scatter shield with a 11.0 inch racing type clutch and pressure plate I had at that time, needless to say it didn't work well and was hard to shift smoothly down whiney I found out it was a GTS, not a GT shock, on the day the new owner picked the car up by decoding the original fender tag work
I ended up buying it back later and started trying to put it back to like it was built, the other owner had replaced the old misfitting mechanical clutch linkage with a hydraulic clutch kit which I didn't like. I bought new OEM clutch linkage parts from Brewers, I think, and replace the scatter shield and 11.0 inch clutch with a 1965 B body 10.5 inch clutch bellhousing and a Center Force diaphragm type street clutch and pressure plate. That helped a bunch on the shifting cleanly.
My message is it looks like to me that you have a bunch of mismatch parts that aren't working well together, I took one picture of my car the way it is now, not perfect with all the OEM parts but is has everything except the original 383 bell housing which does affect the original type Z bar alignment, see the attach picture. scope
I wish I could take a picture of the Z bar and clutch rod, but I can't right now, sorry blush
The clutch rod alignment is critical, it needs to be straight and level to work properly, my Z bar is misaligned a little bit probably due to the wrong year bell housing realcrazy shruggy, it should be straight across from the ball on the bell housing, not a little bit misaligned like it is now down whiney
IHTHs luck
There is one thing you should check closely on the clutch disc to flywheel clearance, it should have at least .030 or more clearance between the flywheel and clutch disc with the clutch pedal depress all the way to the floor. scope wrench up
Please let us know what you find and due to fix it luck

SANY0018.JPG
Last edited by Cab_Burge; 08/15/23 02:25 AM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: Cab_Burge] #3167844
08/14/23 01:38 PM
08/14/23 01:38 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I bought a H code 1969 GTS in the early 1990s minus the original motor, tranny and shifter, console, and tach and exhausts system, I didn't know at that time it was GTX due to the car having all the GTS emblems and decals remove long before I bought it the first time. I ended up putting a late 383 4 speed motor and A body 4 speed in the car with a bunch of mismatched clutch linkage parts and a scatter shield with a 11.0 inch racing type clutch and pressure plate I had at that time, needless to say it didn't work well and was hard to shift smoothly down whiney I found out it was a GTX, not a GT shock, on the day the new owner picked the car up by decoding the original fender tag work
I ended up buying it back later and started trying to put it back to like it was built, the other owner had replaced the old misfitting mechanical clutch linkage with a hydraulic clutch kit which I didn't like. I bought new OEM clutch linkage parts from Brewers, I think, and replace the scatter shield and 11.0 inch clutch with a 1965 B body 10.5 inch clutch bellhousing and a Center Force diaphragm type street clutch and pressure plate. That helped a bunch on the shifting cleanly.
My message is it looks like to me that you have a bunch of mismatch parts that aren't working well together, I took one picture of my car the way it is now, not perfect with all the OEM parts but is has everything except the original 383 bell housing which does affect the original type Z bar alignment, see the attach picture. scope
I wish I could take a picture of the Z bar and clutch rod, but I can't right now, sorry blush
The clutch rod alignment is critical, it needs to be straight and level to work properly, my Z bar is misaligned a little bit probably due to the wrong year bell housing realcrazy shruggy, it should be straight across from the ball on the bell housing, not a little bit misaligned like it is now down whiney
IHTHs luck
There is one thing you should check closely on the clutch disc to flywheel clearance, it should have at least .030 or more clearance between the flywheel and clutch disc with the clutch pedal depress all the way to the floor. scope wrench up
Please let us know what you find and due to fix it luck

Cab , the BB A body used the same bellhousing as the 65 B body , 2468372 casting number

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: Cab_Burge] #3167863
08/14/23 02:22 PM
08/14/23 02:22 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Once again, a big thanks to all.

Cab, The clearance has been measured in several places between the PP with the disc on one position and again with the PP stationary and rotating the disc. all measurements were even at ~ .057"
John, I know the linkage is Bubbafied and plan on straightening that out and getting back to factory if I can find or make the parts. I can't be sure but do not think the linkage is causing the issue. it's hosed up but does appear to be functioning. Locating a correct Z bar is likely going to be the biggest problem. frown

I don't know what what or why they had to butcher up the original Z bar. But that part currently does not appear to be available so far. frown I need to do a deeper search but so far no luck everywhere I've looked and brewer's is out of stock. Any suggestions are welcome wink

my next choices are:
1. Find a correct used one which I'm not sure how one identifies what is correct shruggy
2. Possibly find someone that has one out of the car that can take measurements of the Arms from the center of the tube to the center of the pin. I can then see what is in the assortment of parts as well as the one in the car. With the measurements I can likely make one of the three work.

Unfortunately what appears to be the original has had one of the two arms whacked off. THANKS BUBBA spank

I would obviously trust one from Brewers but not sure who else one could trust from a repro standpoint. Which member was the Dart specialist parts guy? DBartman or Rhinodart?
Thanks again beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3167873
08/14/23 03:01 PM
08/14/23 03:01 PM
A collage of whims
topside Online content
Too Many Posts
topside  Online Content
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Rhinodart is THE MAN when it comes to Darts.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop [Re: TJP] #3167878
08/14/23 03:22 PM
08/14/23 03:22 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Had that one time with a customers clutch one of my mechanics put in a truck, the flywheel had some oily coating on it for rust prevention and he didn't degrease it first, he said running it would just burn off but it wouldn't so we pulled it out cleaned it with brake clean and it worked perfect.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3167892
08/14/23 04:10 PM
08/14/23 04:10 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by TJP
Once again, a big thanks to all.

Cab, The clearance has been measured in several places between the PP with the disc on one position and again with the PP stationary and rotating the disc. all measurements were even at ~ .057"
John, I know the linkage is Bubbafied and plan on straightening that out and getting back to factory if I can find or make the parts. I can't be sure but do not think the linkage is causing the issue. it's hosed up but does appear to be functioning. Locating a correct Z bar is likely going to be the biggest problem. frown

I don't know what what or why they had to butcher up the original Z bar. But that part currently does not appear to be available so far. frown I need to do a deeper search but so far no luck everywhere I've looked and brewer's is out of stock. Any suggestions are welcome wink

my next choices are:
1. Find a correct used one which I'm not sure how one identifies what is correct shruggy
2. Possibly find someone that has one out of the car that can take measurements of the Arms from the center of the tube to the center of the pin. I can then see what is in the assortment of parts as well as the one in the car. With the measurements I can likely make one of the three work.

Unfortunately what appears to be the original has had one of the two arms whacked off. THANKS BUBBA spank

I would obviously trust one from Brewers but not sure who else one could trust from a repro standpoint. Which member was the Dart specialist parts guy? DBartman or Rhinodart?
Thanks again beer

Rhinodart .

I have an extra Z bar I got from TTI I think it was for use with headers, it has an extra bend to get the lower arm to clear header collectors better .

The 2 brackets with the ball studs on them , on the car and in the pile of parts look like the correct parts, use the pile of parts spacer.

The bracket on the car appears to have an extra gusset added , the one behind the ballstud , not sure that thick a bracket is going to bend over that short a distance even hammering a very heavy clutch.

Obviously the lower adjusting rods are some Rube Goldberg pieces ...

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: JohnRR] #3167915
08/14/23 06:16 PM
08/14/23 06:16 PM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal
I posted previously about Z-bars..
I had a similar clutch linkage issue in my 70 RR.
When I had things apart, I talked to our local Mopar guru and he showed me (2) other Z-bars that had the same mounting width but the tab for connecting to the pushbar/fork was located differently on each of the (3).
I had no idea about differences, but using the wrong one caused alot of linkage issues.
The bottom line was to use the Z-bar that caused the push bar to run parallel to the bell housing and push straight back on the fork.
I looked at each Z-bar but didn't find any part #..
I was just fortunate to make contact with our local Mopar guru who knew about about this..

Just my $0.02... wink

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: Sinitro] #3167921
08/14/23 06:37 PM
08/14/23 06:37 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Any 10-1/2” flywheel will work also and Cab, you kept saying GTX (b-body) I’m sure you meant GTS

Last edited by cudaman1969; 08/14/23 06:38 PM.
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: JohnRR] #3167929
08/14/23 06:59 PM
08/14/23 06:59 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by JohnRR

Rhinodart .

I have an extra Z bar I got from TTI I think it was for use with headers, it has an extra bend to get the lower arm to clear header collectors better .

The 2 brackets with the ball studs on them , on the car and in the pile of parts look like the correct parts, use the pile of parts spacer.

The bracket on the car appears to have an extra gusset added , the one behind the ballstud , not sure that thick a bracket is going to bend over that short a distance even hammering a very heavy clutch.

Obviously the lower adjusting rods are some Rube Goldberg pieces ... [/quote]

Thank you sir.
Is that Z bar for a stock BB dart w/TTI's headers or a BB conversion? Next question, will it clear stock exhaust? I PM'd Rhinodart asking for his input.

Thank you again John as well as all that are commenting beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3167959
08/14/23 08:48 PM
08/14/23 08:48 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Online penguin-006
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Online Penguin-006
Rhinotruck

Holy crap! Some people should NOT be allowed to work on big block A-body's! I didn't read the whole thing but was the car complete and running before the clutch change? It is all straight forward with factory parts, which are all known and available except the bell housing that needs to be sourced, which is the 372 bell but also the 370 bell works just missing the hole for the spring which I didn't see in any of your pictures. I would NEVER use a diaphram clutch, no reason for it except less effort, but you can use a hydraulic throwout bearing if you have a weak knee. A mirror finish flywheel? Are they stoned or stupid? And not turning a used flywheel is also insane. I wish I was close by I could then tell why the bellcrank is at an angle, couldn't tell with the pictures. I do have pictures of my factory set-up, but it will take a bit to find them. In the picture of the parts I see a cut-up factory big block A-body bell crank and a small block bell crank. The ball stud bracket is a factory A-body piece also.

101_1411.JPG
Last edited by Rhinodart; 08/14/23 09:04 PM.

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: Rhinodart] #3167972
08/14/23 10:06 PM
08/14/23 10:06 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Holy crap! Some people should NOT be allowed to work on big block A-body's! I didn't read the whole thing but was the car complete and running before the clutch change? It is all straight forward with factory parts, which are all known and available except the bell housing that needs to be sourced, which is the 372 bell but also the 370 bell works just missing the hole for the spring which I didn't see in any of your pictures. I would NEVER use a diaphram clutch, no reason for it except less effort, but you can use a hydraulic throwout bearing if you have a weak knee. A mirror finish flywheel? Are they stoned or stupid? And not turning a used flywheel is also insane. I wish I was close by I could then tell why the bellcrank is at an angle, couldn't tell with the pictures. I do have pictures of my factory set-up, but it will take a bit to find them. In the picture of the parts I see a cut-up factory big block A-body bell crank and a small block bell crank. The ball stud bracket is a factory A-body piece also.

Thank you responding, And yes it was frown
I am thinking the angled Z bar is likely due to the Repro BH mount. But I have not checked the BH numbers yet but will tomorrow wink

I have found the Z bar from southwest performance, 1 style of BH stud mount also from SW (First pic), and another from Hoffmans winners circle (2nd pic).

I'm thinking the SWP Z bar is likely what is in the car. I likely have 2 different BH brackets but have to confirm. They both have weldments But I'm not sure if they are on both sides. The one in the car does. Why things are cockeyed I don't know and won't until I start taking things apart. I do wish the stock Z bar wasn't butchered and the stock BH bracket was in the pile but BUBBA must've needed them for his race car. 🔥🔥
My main concern is the Z bar arm length from the center of the tube to the center of the pin on the upper arms. If any one has that measurement I could use it to verify the repro z bar is correct or rework the stock on that is missing it's upper one. The rest I believe I can work around.
Thanks to all and I Will keep reporting,
Again any input is welcome beer

Old vers.pngCapture  New.JPG
Last edited by TJP; 08/14/23 10:14 PM.
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: cudaman1969] #3168009
08/15/23 02:30 AM
08/15/23 02:30 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Any 10-1/2” flywheel will work also and Cab, you kept saying GTX (b-body) I’m sure you meant GTS
Your correct on the car being a real GTS, not a GT like I was told it was when I took it in trade back in the early 1990s. It had a GT decal on the trunk panel and 1967 Dart GT door panel with the original GTS inside door emblem removed and missing when I got that car shruggy
I learned later that Dodge did offer the 383 in the 1967 and 1968 Drat GT but not in the 1969 Dart GT confused Only Swingers and GTS got the 383 motors in 1969 shruggy

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: Cab_Burge] #3168074
08/15/23 01:01 PM
08/15/23 01:01 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
talking as a machinist, the guy that did that flywheel finish should do the same finish to his brake rotors and drums, then he wouldn't be around to do stupid work like that again.......... whistling work fan devil
beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: moparx] #3168206
08/15/23 11:38 PM
08/15/23 11:38 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Well a kwi update, it does have the correct 372 bellhousing. once apart there were some faint machining marks on the flywheel but only in a few areas where the disc contacted. There were some on the outside area but not what i would consider very coarse
very irregular pattern of hot spots in the center of the PP if one looks closely its as though there was a thin area in the middle with two hotter spots and what appears to be lining transfer fading away. A corresponding pattern appears more visible on the flywheel side of the disc? Also found contact marks on the inside of the diaphragm fingers from the spring retainers. So more tomorrow but I'm thinking contamination?

DSC04256.JPGDSC04258.JPGDSC04259.JPGDSC04266.JPG
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3168211
08/16/23 12:47 AM
08/16/23 12:47 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Have you checked flatness across PP & the disc?

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: Cab_Burge] #3168212
08/16/23 01:02 AM
08/16/23 01:02 AM
Rhinotruck
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Your correct on the car being a real GTS, not a GT like I was told it was when I took it in trade back in the early 1990s. It had a GT decal on the trunk panel and 1967 Dart GT door panel with the original GTS inside door emblem removed and missing when I got that car shruggy
I learned later that Dodge did offer the 383 in the 1967 and 1968 Drat GT but not in the 1969 Dart GT confused Only Swingers and GTS got the 383 motors in 1969 shruggy

The 383 was only offered in the Dart GTS all three years, NEVER in a GT or any other Dart model... wave

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: Rhinodart] #3168222
08/16/23 07:17 AM
08/16/23 07:17 AM
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
Looks like it was ground properly to me. I.m telling you the PP is junk!

you can tell by the perpendicular curved marks left by the grinding cup from the machine.

Last edited by B1MAXX; 08/16/23 07:24 AM.
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: B1MAXX] #3168229
08/16/23 08:33 AM
08/16/23 08:33 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
Ive pulled them with thousands of iles and not look that bad.The flywheel looks like its not flat.That or someone dosent know how to drive stick.We had a few at the shop that didnt know how to drive stick.One had less than 500 miles and was towed back.When we pulled it apart the clutch was like starands and fried..As for the PP not beong good I doubt 2 were bad.If the flywheel isnt flat the Pp wont bite flat

Chrysler Firepower
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: PhillyRag] #3168298
08/16/23 02:46 PM
08/16/23 02:46 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by PhillyRag

Not yet, It was getting late and I was beat. In looking at the 2nd PP and 4th pic (flywheel side of disc) one can see the same circular ring (pattern) in the middle of both. It's there on the FW as well but not as prominent.
The pattern being more visible in the PP and FW side of the disc makes me suspect one of them wasn't flat.
The ring is also visible on the flywheel but one has to really look closely for it to show.

I have to now establish why the z bar is not straight and level which I suspect may be the Bell housing pivot mount. Will likely have to wait until the trans is back in for that adventure. Wish I had a stock pivot mount to compare it to as well as a stock z bar.
thanks to all again and any input is appreciated. up beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3168364
08/16/23 08:03 PM
08/16/23 08:03 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Jack engine up to stock height then fix Z bar, whole lot easier without that trans in the way.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: cudaman1969] #3168399
08/16/23 10:16 PM
08/16/23 10:16 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Jack engine up to stock height then fix Z bar, whole lot easier without that trans in the way.

up I certainly wished I had thought of taking some measurements before pulling the trans spank
I have a new pivot mount coming from Brewer's. I'll compare it to what's in there now and go from there. Might slip just the BH, trans back and crossmember back in to do so work

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3168419
08/16/23 11:48 PM
08/16/23 11:48 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
It looks dry in there, at least best I can tell. But it sure sounds like how a contaminated disc behaves. Anything coming from above, like from the oil sender area?

Maybe somebody could give you dimensions from a correct z bar and weld up something from the pile?

Nothing wrong with a diaphragm clutch, other than installer error and lack of driving skill. I won’t use anything but a diaphragm and centerforce has always worked well for me. You checked off the big no no, the over center spring. So it had that in there for both clutches. Plus a linkage mess, plus the slick flywheel, plus we don’t know how any of those involved broke it in. I think at this point I’d solve the linkage issues and go with all new parts and do as much break in as you can yourself. With the spring out of the dash it should end this ordeal.

I want my fair share
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3168420
08/17/23 12:03 AM
08/17/23 12:03 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by TJP

Not yet, It was getting late and I was beat. In looking at the 2nd PP and 4th pic (flywheel side of disc) one can see the same circular ring (pattern) in the middle of both. It's there on the FW as well but not as prominent.
The pattern being more visible in the PP and FW side of the disc makes me suspect one of them wasn't flat.
The ring is also visible on the flywheel but one has to really look closely for it to show.

I have to now establish why the z bar is not straight and level which I suspect may be the Bell housing pivot mount. Will likely have to wait until the trans is back in for that adventure. Wish I had a stock pivot mount to compare it to as well as a stock z bar.
thanks to all again and any input is appreciated. up beer

If FW isn't flat, could be saved with a very light machine over, save some $$.
PP could probably be reused, unless very contaminated.
Easy for some to say "buy all new"
Z-bar alignment isn't that "super" critical, as it will shift as rubber mounts "settle" from new.
Doubt it has any effect on clutch chatter.
But will with pedal operation: i.e. smoothness etc.
But still nice to know you are using the correct one.
Best to you.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: PhillyRag] #3168435
08/17/23 05:27 AM
08/17/23 05:27 AM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild
.........please show the DIAL INDICATOR readings for the alignment of the bell house to crank center-line and squareness to the crank/b-h centerline......

This is a fundamental [basic] check that is required and nothing can be resolved without this check and correction. whistling

Crank needs the roller pilot bearing!

Wrong type of clutch, bad choice in disk material.
Is that a crack in the flywheel?
Is the flywheel thin from too much machining?

Last edited by ThermoQuad; 08/17/23 05:28 AM.
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: ThermoQuad] #3168454
08/17/23 09:30 AM
08/17/23 09:30 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Something is just plain wonky here. I don't have the experience with a lot of clutches like some members have but I've never see a pressure plate like that. The thin ring that appears to be overheated to the point of bluing the PP would really concern me as that appears to be the only significant contact area.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: 6PakBee] #3168458
08/17/23 09:42 AM
08/17/23 09:42 AM
South Park, Pa.
68LAR Offline
master
68LAR  Offline
master

South Park, Pa.
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Something is just plain wonky here. I don't have the experience with a lot of clutches like some members have but I've never see a pressure plate like that. The thin ring that appears to be overheated to the point of bluing the PP would really concern me as that appears to be the only significant contact area.

There are only a few things that cause chattering. Grease or oil on the flywheel, pressure plate, or disc. Or the friction material of the disc. Street type disc's don't usually chatter. More toward a race type disc does tend to chatter a bit. If the flywheel was not resurfaced or not resurfaced properly, it should not chatter, but the clutch will slip.

4 speed street legal. Best time 10.99 @ 124 mph on 93 octane pump gas @ 3926# total weight
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3168499
08/17/23 12:19 PM
08/17/23 12:19 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by TJP

Thank you sir.
Is that Z bar for a stock BB dart w/TTI's headers or a BB conversion? Next question, will it clear stock exhaust? I PM'd Rhinodart asking for his input.

Thank you again John as well as all that are commenting beer

I believe it was for a stock using their headers , I grabbed it to gain some extra clearance with my 2.5 mandrel bent headpipes and for potentially putting headers in when the stock appearing bug stopped biting me . Haven't finished it yet .

I wouldn't use a roller pilot bearing , the input shaft was not hardened originally for a roller bearing .

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: JohnRR] #3168511
08/17/23 12:41 PM
08/17/23 12:41 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
What bad happens with a roller pilot? I never had trouble and beat on my car as much or more than the next guy.

I want my fair share
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3168516
08/17/23 12:49 PM
08/17/23 12:49 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
What bad happens with a roller pilot? I never had trouble and beat on my car as much or more than the next guy.

I would think it's going to wear a groove in the shaft over time. Some people say we don't drive the cars enough to worry about it but I'm not one of them.

YMMV

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: JohnRR] #3168672
08/17/23 09:52 PM
08/17/23 09:52 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Responding to all,
Dry as a bone inside the BH and the car hasn't even left a drop of anything on the floor. Even the inside of the inspection cover was dry.
I don't think the linkage being out of whack caused the issue BUT -------
The flywheel and disc appear to be flat in checking them with a Starrett straight edge and light behind. If anything the PP appears to be a bit concave across it's surface. There are also marks on the inside of the diaphragm fingers where it hit the retainers for the clutch springs. This I assume was from over adjusting the clutch at some point. (See pic below) It was still grabbing 2-3" off the floor when it came in and i will guess had at least an inch of preload on it.
The pattern on the PP is strange in that it appears to have been grabbing in the center and more so in two areas ~ 150 degrees apart. The same "ring" is evident on both sides of the disc but more so on the Flywheel side confused
The only thing I can conclude at this point is either the disc or PP was out of whack, or there was some kind of contamination involved. Maybe Bubba had a greasy lunch whistling
I have ordered a NEW CF clutch assembly and flywheel as well as linkage parts from Brewer's. not sure or anything other than the Pattern to me indicates there was more contact in the "RING" on the PP and I am tempted to suspect that as the cause DUNNO. I may run the pictures by a tech at CF and see what his thoughts are. I will keep posting updates.
thanks a bunch for all the help/ suggestions beer

DSC04273.JPGDSC04271.JPGDSC04259.JPGDSC04266.JPG
Last edited by TJP; 08/17/23 10:01 PM.
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3168679
08/17/23 10:13 PM
08/17/23 10:13 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
1, Get a new pressure plate, clean it very well with blue shop towels and brake clean and do not touch it on the friction side afterwards, even normal skin oil is bad.
2. Get the flywheel re-ground by a different shop, they used too fine of a stone, that is not an 80 or 90 grit finish and it has weird patterns off to the right like someone hit it with a cookie disc or something. Also clean it with blue shop towels and brake clean and do not touch it afterwards.
3. get a new friction disc and do not touch it
4, make sure there is no excessive grease on the input shaft or throwout bearing (or anything in there for that matter as even a little tiny bit on the friction surface can cause issues)

Do not let it get any greasy hand prints on any of the friction surfaces of the disc, pressure plate or flywheel!

Doing all that will cure any issue inside the bellhousing.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: HotRodDave] #3168683
08/17/23 10:28 PM
08/17/23 10:28 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Do the clutch disc springs show any contact to match the pattern on the PP fingers?

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3168730
08/18/23 08:59 AM
08/18/23 08:59 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Those marks look like the clutch is being depressed to far ???

The diaphragm fingers aren't that strong and will keep going once the clutch is released ... think speed shifting when going down the track, you are slamming the clutch pedal as fast as possible...

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: JohnRR] #3168780
08/18/23 12:02 PM
08/18/23 12:02 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Those marks look like the clutch is being depressed to far ???

The diaphragm fingers aren't that strong and will keep going once the clutch is released ... think speed shifting when going down the track, you are slamming the clutch pedal as fast as possible...

That is why you set plate departure and not freeplay as the FSM suggests. THough in this case the OP's freeplay is good.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: HotRodDave] #3168783
08/18/23 12:13 PM
08/18/23 12:13 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by HotRodDave
1, Get a new pressure plate, clean it very well with blue shop towels and brake clean and do not touch it on the friction side afterwards, even normal skin oil is bad.
2. Get the flywheel re-ground by a different shop, they used too fine of a stone, that is not an 80 or 90 grit finish and it has weird patterns off to the right like someone hit it with a cookie disc or something. Also clean it with blue shop towels and brake clean and do not touch it afterwards.
4, make sure there is no excessive grease on the input shaft or throwout bearing (or anything in there for that matter as even a little tiny bit on the friction surface can cause issues)

Do not let it get any greasy hand prints on any of the friction surfaces of the disc, pressure plate or flywheel!

All good points but I’ll add, do not grease the pilot busing, it’s silicon-bronze it lubricates itself and will not cut grooves like the roller bearing will.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: cudaman1969] #3168825
08/18/23 02:11 PM
08/18/23 02:11 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Replies to all:
Hotrod Dave: Don't know if you read the entire post but the car has been through two shops and two New clutches with ONE resurface that I am aware of. keep in mind the car is 55 years old so who knows how many over the years. It is getting all NEW components from Centerforce including the flywheel wink

6pak: No, but the metal tabs that retain the springs do frown
John RR: The fingers were definitely hitting the spring retainers on the PP side of the disc. The car when it came in, had 1/2" + of preload on the fingers with the clutch fully engaged (pedal released) I strongly suspect they likely adjusted the linkage (too long) trying to alleviate the chattering during their troubleshooting process, And that is likely where the marks came from. (BUBBA says OOOPS 😲🤫, that's a bit too much, git me another beer and back that off of a bit) 🙄
Sniper Initially the departure was somewhere beyond .125". Could've likely driven a greyhound bus through the clearance ( OK joking a bit).
Cudaman I use a high temp brake grease from bendix that does not melt nor contaminate friction material. I have a 12 oz tub of it that was given to me by a couple of reps from bendix quite a few years ago. The product has been discontinued (upgraded?). They at the time specifically mentioned pilot bushings as another application for the product. Having turned some pilot bushings in a lathe older ones seem to produce a noticeable amount of oil while newer ones produce much less. Same cutter, RPM, depth of cut etc. So, not knowing if it's a better lubricant, cost cutting or overseas MFG. I use a light coat inside the bushing and a very light film on the input shaft. haven't had an issue yet wink
Will keep all posted,
thanks up

Last edited by TJP; 08/18/23 02:23 PM.
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3168837
08/18/23 02:46 PM
08/18/23 02:46 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by TJP

Sniper Initially the departure was somewhere beyond .125". Could've likely driven a greyhound bus through the clearance ( OK joking a bit).

Seriously ungood, probably most of the issue there. That's allowing the pedal/linkage/throwout bearing to over travel, which is why the fingers are hitting.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: Sniper] #3168855
08/18/23 03:38 PM
08/18/23 03:38 PM
South San Francisco, Ca
70sixpkrt Offline
master
70sixpkrt  Offline
master

South San Francisco, Ca
I would also balance the new flywheel to the new pressure plate.

[img]http://www.imgur.com/hxlGUJt.gif[/img]
4-speed
3:54 Dana
13.01 @107.93 with street tires (not hooking up)
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: Sniper] #3168865
08/18/23 04:06 PM
08/18/23 04:06 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by TJP

Seriously ungood, probably most of the issue there. That's allowing the pedal/linkage/throwout bearing to over travel, which is why the fingers are hitting.

100% agree. Just sent several pic's to a tech at CF, his thoughts are this pressure plate was hosed from the get go or became so after install. he said in his opinion and experience two of the 3 lifting arms were not lifting or sitting down at the same as the third which correlates to the hot spots on the PP.
Parts just arrived so off to work I go wink May not know much until the linkage parts arrive from Brewer's which likely won't be until next week.
Will keep all updated

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: cudaman1969] #3168920
08/18/23 09:21 PM
08/18/23 09:21 PM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by HotRodDave

All good points but I’ll add, do not grease the pilot busing, it’s silicon-bronze it lubricates itself and will not cut grooves like the roller bearing will.

Be weary of some bushing which aren't oil impregnated. I've seen them being sold at some shows.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: PhillyRag] #3168935
08/18/23 10:07 PM
08/18/23 10:07 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Be weary of some bushing which aren't oil impregnated. I've seen them being sold at some shows.

iagree With our current supply chains executive money grubbing, cost cutting, and overseas suppliers trying to out bid each other it is hard to know who to trust anymore when it comes to quality. Quality sources/brands are not what they used to be. Even Napa has buckled in to selling 💩. So one does have to be very selective when choosing parts. up twocents

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop NOW WITH PIC's [Re: TJP] #3168965
08/19/23 06:59 AM
08/19/23 06:59 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Before removing the flywheel, I'd like to check the runout of the face. Indicator base on the block, needle on the face.

That dark spot looks about 180 from where the grinding marks are visible. Like the flywheel wobbles.

Be a good idea to check that on the new flywheel too. Who knows if the crank flange is bent. Unlikely but not impossible.

Bellhousing concentricty is important too.

There may be multiple little things adding up.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: ruderunner] #3169554
08/21/23 10:24 PM
08/21/23 10:24 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
A kwik update:
1. The crank flange had a high spot ring around the outside preventing the FW from sitting flat on the entire flange surface. Wasn'nt really noticeable until one looked at flange pattern the back of the FW. Rust or something similar (orange & black spotting) was evident on the flange. A kwik pass with a flat aluminum block confirmed the presence of the ring.
2. The pilot bushing was not installed straight as the upper lip was proturding
3. The Z bar mount is definitely tweaked
4. new flywheel mounted showed 0 variation to the block measured across the face
5. Bellhousing run out checked at .022" eek
Waiting for offset dowels to get the bellhousing in spec wink beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3169699
08/22/23 02:23 PM
08/22/23 02:23 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
glad to see everything is getting back to normal. up
did you check runout on the old flywheel ? if you did, i missed it.
who knows "how many fingers has been in that pie" in over 50+ years ? laugh2
beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: moparx] #3169806
08/22/23 10:10 PM
08/22/23 10:10 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by moparx
glad to see everything is getting back to normal. up
did you check runout on the old flywheel ? if you did, i missed it.
who knows "how many fingers has been in that pie" in over 50+ years ? laugh2
beer

No I did not, When I saw the PP I figured anything beyond wass just burning time. I already have too much in it as it is frown beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3169880
08/23/23 11:46 AM
08/23/23 11:46 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by TJP
A kwik update:
1. The crank flange had a high spot ring around the outside preventing the FW from sitting flat on the entire flange surface. Wasn'nt really noticeable until one looked at flange pattern the back of the FW. Rust or something similar (orange & black spotting) was evident on the flange. A kwik pass with a flat aluminum block confirmed the presence of the ring.
4. new flywheel mounted showed 0 variation to the block measured across the face

Hopefully the RobbMc dowels and directly from Him , Summit sells the lakewood branded RobbMc type now and they are almost 150 a pair vs. 39 a pair ...

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3169910
08/23/23 01:57 PM
08/23/23 01:57 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
well having too much to do, plus a little more, keeps one out of the bars and away from chasing wild women. panic laugh2
beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: moparx] #3170248
08/24/23 09:39 PM
08/24/23 09:39 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
well having too much to do, plus a little more, keeps one out of the bars and away from chasing wild women. panic laugh2
beer

up up
Never been one for bars, my mother taught me it was god place to find trouble whether you wanted it or not wink This was further impressed upon my young mind when a good friends neighbor had an altercation with an individual at a small strip mall bar on a Saturday early afternoon in a nice part of Santa Clara, Ca about 1973-4. The disagreement was settled out back with the other person leaving afterwards. 2 or 3 hours later when the neighbor walked out the front door he was blasted twice with a 12ga. down

Wild women? known a few, kind of like bars IMO, nothing but trouble whistling LOL No use for them either whistling beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: JohnRR] #3170249
08/24/23 09:45 PM
08/24/23 09:45 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by TJP
A kwik update:

Hopefully the RobbMc dowels and directly from Him , Summit sells the lakewood branded RobbMc type now and they are almost 150 a pair vs. 39 a pair ...

I certainly wish i had know about those before pulling the trigger on the summit / lakewood ones frown Oh well next time up
Didn't get much accomplished today other removing the dowels. The welding a bolt trick worked really well especially with the motor still in the car. So thanks for the suggestion up Still learning at 69 YO beer
Attaching a few pic's of the back of the crank and FW where one can see it was only seating on the outer edge along with non shouldered bolts eek

DSC04294.JPGDSC04304.JPGDSC04315.JPGDSC04317.JPG
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3170312
08/25/23 10:06 AM
08/25/23 10:06 AM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
Nothing like multiple issues contributing to one big problem. Back in the 80's, I had a 360 crank worked on by Hank The Crank. One of the operations done by them was to true up the rear flange.

Carl Kessel
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: CKessel] #3170327
08/25/23 11:12 AM
08/25/23 11:12 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
I was thinking maybe a bent crank

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3170333
08/25/23 11:30 AM
08/25/23 11:30 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by TJP
A kwik update:

I certainly wish i had know about those before pulling the trigger on the summit / lakewood ones frown Oh well next time up
Didn't get much accomplished today other removing the dowels. The welding a bolt trick worked really well especially with the motor still in the car. So thanks for the suggestion up Still learning at 69 YO beer
Attaching a few pic's of the back of the crank and FW where one can see it was only seating on the outer edge along with non shouldered bolts eek

I thought everyone that's a longtime member knew about them , the good thing I guess is it's on the customers dime. I have all 3 available offsets in my stash , would have really hurt at the summit price ...

The first time I bought them all they were only 28 a set ...

RobbMC dowels

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: JohnRR] #3170346
08/25/23 11:56 AM
08/25/23 11:56 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

I thought everyone that's a longtime member knew about them , the good thing I guess is it's on the customers dime. I have all 3 available offsets in my stash , would have really hurt at the summit price ...

The first time I bought them all they were only 28 a set ...

RobbMC dowels

I have his site bookmarked now. And I agree, the Lakewood prices are flat thievery IMO twocents beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3170553
08/26/23 11:04 AM
08/26/23 11:04 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Summit branded offset dowels are even less than RobbMc

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/bellhousing-dowel-pins?N=dowel-pin-diameter-in%3A0-500-in

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: Sniper] #3170582
08/26/23 01:00 PM
08/26/23 01:00 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/bellhousing-dowel-pins?

the only drawback with those dowel pins, they are .500, while the mopar pins are .495-.496.
that extra .004 in diameter will prove to be fun installing them, then the bellhousing or transmission case holes may need enlarging by a few thousandths so the pins fit there.

beer

Last edited by moparx; 08/26/23 01:11 PM.
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: Sniper] #3170598
08/26/23 01:54 PM
08/26/23 01:54 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Summit branded offset dowels are even less than RobbMc

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/bellhousing-dowel-pins?N=dowel-pin-diameter-in%3A0-500-in

Just an FYI Sniper, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong wink
the summit pins are oversized at .500 which work well in a ford but Mopar's use a .496 diameter pin. If one does get them in you're not going to turn them. Additionally, the same is true for the bell housing side/holes as I found out yesterday spank spank
So to use the "Other guys" pins one will have to polish them down with some aggressive paper (80 grit) and a lathe, drill press or such. DO REMEBER you have to do BOTH ends of the Dowel. If not when installing the bellhousing it may push the offset side of the dowel partially into the block causing it to seize as I found out yesterday, My D/A fault for not thinking this through spank again. Fortunately this only happened on 1 of the 2 pins and it was the lower more accessible one.
After seizing, it broke one allen driver bit while trying to rock it back and forth. OK get another. The sides of the allen socket on the dowel then split/ fractured. THANK GOD FOR CARBIBDE BITS 🙏
So what should have been a 2-3 hour job at most turned into about 8-9. down

The RobMc pins are a two piece design in which the dowel in the block is separate from the bellhousing dowel. Once installed you rotate the bellhousing half of the pin to where you want it and the lock it down with the internal screw. Last night I would have paid 300.00 for a pair of those pins. ROBMC PIN LINKY
I tried ordering them yesterday but no one answered frown
From my limited searching he and Brewers appear to be the only offering the correct size pins. It was too late for Brewers.
And I alos thought about John RR as he said he had them but again to late to get them o/nited
So Today I will give the summit ones another shot with both ends turned down to the .496 diameter. Wish me luck wink beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: moparx] #3170602
08/26/23 01:57 PM
08/26/23 01:57 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

the only drawback with those dowel pins, they are .500, while the mopar pins are .495-.496.
that extra .004 in diameter will prove to be fun installing them, then the bellhousing or transmission case holes may need enlarging by a few thousandths so the pins fit there.

beer

OK You Treed me are we even now ? 😂😂 beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3170614
08/26/23 03:05 PM
08/26/23 03:05 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Well, the Mopar pins are at .500" too so your screwed which ever way you go.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: Sniper] #3170703
08/26/23 10:04 PM
08/26/23 10:04 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

Correct except for Robb Robb mc, LINKY and Brewers pins which are sized correctly.

My error was twofold,
1. I did not think about the BH side of the dowel which also has to be reduced. That error pushed the offset portion into the block enough to seize it. but fortunately only on the lower accessible pin. The never seize may have helped wink
2. Again not thinking spank things through I installed the pins with the offset 180 degrees out of where they should have been. spank again.

I am happy to say the new pins are in and the BH is +/- .0035 which is within spec. Amazing how easy things can be when you think things through eyes
Will try for the clutch etc tomorrow beer

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_204700_www.brewersperformance.com.pngOpera Snapshot_2023-08-26_204541_www.robbmcperformance.com.png
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3170733
08/27/23 12:29 AM
08/27/23 12:29 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
I'm confused. +/- .0035". Is that 0.0035" TIR or 0.007" TIR?

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: 6PakBee] #3170805
08/27/23 01:14 PM
08/27/23 01:14 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

.007 TIR. previously at .022 TIR eek

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3170812
08/27/23 01:25 PM
08/27/23 01:25 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by TJP

beer

i'm waiting for the next race ! boogie drive laugh2
beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: moparx] #3170919
08/27/23 09:43 PM
08/27/23 09:43 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by TJP

beer

i'm waiting for the next race ! boogie drive laugh2
beer

As soon as this clutch is in I'll let you see my taillights. Might want to put some GPS trackers on your doors 🚀💨🤣🍻

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3170923
08/27/23 09:59 PM
08/27/23 09:59 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Checked the parallelism of the face of the BH to the FW and found it to be at .011". Manual calls for .008 max. I did note the paint appeared to be applied unevenly and more so at the lower where the high reading was. Wire brushed all the paint off and Golly Gee Gomer, it dropped to .004 rolleyes up.
Clutch and PP in and torqued (PITA with the BH in place) so trans tomorrow and hopefully figure out the Z bar alignment. the BH bracket from brewers is different (alignment wise) than the one that was in the car so I'm 🤞🤞 and🙏 as I'm getting tired of BUBBA at this point sleep sleep beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3170950
08/28/23 12:17 AM
08/28/23 12:17 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Sucks, but I really think all the new stuff was only way to get to a resolution here.

I want my fair share
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3171005
08/28/23 09:57 AM
08/28/23 09:57 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by TJP

.007 TIR. previously at .022 TIR eek

Thanks for the clarification. up

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: 6PakBee] #3171062
08/28/23 12:49 PM
08/28/23 12:49 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
glad it's finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. up
beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: moparx] #3171082
08/28/23 01:40 PM
08/28/23 01:40 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
glad it's finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. up
beer

Hoping it's not an oncoming Santa Fe whistling I won't rest easy until I try the clutch with the motor running 🤞🤞🙏🙏

Thanks to all for their support through this fun adventure. i have one more to look at after this and that will be pretty much it for customer cars. IF that one gets to messy I'm gonna bail on it. at 69 YO, I want to get back to it being a hobby and spend some time with the wife wink
But then I will have a butt load of tools, parts and inventory to get rid of frown

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: Sniper] #3171269
08/29/23 09:33 AM
08/29/23 09:33 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.

I know you love a good fight , even when you are wrong ... the mopar pins are NOT .500 ... the aftermarket has been selling the wrong ones forever .

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: JohnRR] #3171329
08/29/23 12:33 PM
08/29/23 12:33 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

I know you love a good fight , even when you are wrong ... the mopar pins are NOT .500 ... the aftermarket has been selling the wrong ones forever .

iagree They are .496"

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3171495
08/29/23 09:17 PM
08/29/23 09:17 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mop-1122532

Brand:
Mopar Replacement
Manufacturer's Part Number:
Part Type:
Bellhousing Dowel Pins
Product Line:
Mopar Replacement Transmission Housing Dowel Pins
Summit Racing Part Number:
MOP-1122532
Dowel Pin Offset (in.):
None
Dowel Pin Length (in.):
0.750 in.
Dowel Pin Diameter (in.):
0.500 in.
Quantity:
Sold individually.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: Sniper] #3171504
08/29/23 09:56 PM
08/29/23 09:56 PM
A collage of whims
topside Online content
Too Many Posts
topside  Online Content
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Regardless of what Summit says, it's been documented here in prior threads that .496 is the correct size.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: topside] #3171523
08/29/23 11:16 PM
08/29/23 11:16 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by topside
Regardless of what Summit says, it's been documented here in prior threads that .496 is the correct size.

Sniper, Directly from Brewer's site

Opera-Snapshot_2023-08-26_204700_www.brewersperformance.com.png
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3171557
08/30/23 07:30 AM
08/30/23 07:30 AM
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
I think what is being said here is that even the mopar ones are wrong.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: Sniper] #3171603
08/30/23 11:50 AM
08/30/23 11:50 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.

Brand:
Mopar Replacement
Part Type:
Bellhousing Dowel Pins
Product Line:
MOP-1122532
Dowel Pin Offset (in.):
None
Dowel Pin Length (in.):
0.750 in.
0.500 in.
Quantity:
Sold individually.

argue shout runaway no blah laugh2

still WRONG ....

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: JohnRR] #3171642
08/30/23 01:27 PM
08/30/23 01:27 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Ones listed at .500 are just advertising they are incorrect.

I want my fair share
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3171705
08/30/23 04:40 PM
08/30/23 04:40 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Clutch and trans are installed, Z bar still not straight across or level. The motor mount studs on the L and bolt on the R are all the way down on both sides. I have discovered the motor is not sitting level (leaning to the L (drivers side). The mounts and K frame appear correct.
If I raise the L side and level the motor it helps a lot with the Z bar leveling out but I am puzzled as to why it's sitting so low on both sides and how to raise the L side other than shimming it up. Normally one can "rock" the motor to level it on the mounts but in this case they are both at the bottom so the rocking idea's not going to work. Maybe it's a BB dart thing ? has anyone run into this before?
I can
1. Shim the motor till it's level which appears to be the root cause.
2. Move one of the Z bar ball studs, but I really prefer to find a correct the root cause
A couple of pic's of the K frame and Mounts that are in the car. Note the R mount has limited adjustment with one long bolt while the L has a lot with the slotted holes in the k frame that the studs go through
Any suggestions/ comments/ experiences?
Thanks beer

BB K frame.jpgBB Motor mounts.jpg
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: JohnRR] #3171727
08/30/23 06:19 PM
08/30/23 06:19 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere

Brand:
Mopar Replacement
Part Type:
Bellhousing Dowel Pins
Product Line:
MOP-1122532
Dowel Pin Offset (in.):
None
Dowel Pin Length (in.):
0.750 in.
0.500 in.
Quantity:
Sold individually.

still WRONG ....

Just telling you how they are listed, won't be the first time they sold something that didn't fit and I am not going to buy a set to see if the listing is wrong.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: Sniper] #3171759
08/30/23 08:26 PM
08/30/23 08:26 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Just telling you how they are listed, won't be the first time they sold something that didn't fit and I am not going to buy a set to see if the listing is wrong.

Summit is not the only place selling .500 dowels for Mopars, Jegs, Speedway and a bunch of others including Mancini. The picture below might explain why.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3171764
08/30/23 08:34 PM
08/30/23 08:34 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
After evaluating things a bit further and talking with the owner I am going to relocate the ball stud on the BH bracket unless Someone chimes in with a solution. The owner is running out of $$ and I am already buried in this. Not the solution I would prefer but an easily reversible one at a later time.
I will update once the car is drivable up
thanks to all that have contributed beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3171772
08/30/23 09:11 PM
08/30/23 09:11 PM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Offline
master
A727Tflite  Offline
master
A

Michigan
Originally Posted by TJP
After evaluating things a bit further and talking with the owner I am going to relocate the ball stud on the BH bracket unless Someone chimes in with a solution. The owner is running out of $$ and I am already buried in this. Not the solution I would prefer but an easily reversible one at a later time.

Loosened up the motor mount bracket bolts that attach it to the block, leave them slightly loose.

Raise the engine then tighten the bracket bolts. Leave the motor mount to k frame nuts loose slightly and raise the insulator too. This may get you what you need.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: Sniper] #3171853
08/31/23 11:55 AM
08/31/23 11:55 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.

Brand:
Mopar Replacement
Part Type:
Bellhousing Dowel Pins
Product Line:
MOP-1122532
Dowel Pin Offset (in.):
None
Dowel Pin Length (in.):
0.750 in.
0.500 in.
Quantity:
Sold individually.

still WRONG ....

Thanks , I am aware of how they are listed and found out the hard way in 2005 that they are not right when I was helping a friend use a set of the Lakewoods to dial in an Ultrabell on his Challenger dragcar ... what a nightmare shout

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3171854
08/31/23 12:00 PM
08/31/23 12:00 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by TJP

What rubber engine mount is he using on the driver side ? I went thru this with my dart , the replacement mount I got , think it was schumacher , is thinner than the factory mount , I replaced my worn oil soaked original mount that was crushed and sagging badly , I bought the shims that Schumacher sells to level what I have . I think what they were selling was a mount that was not the actual for the application , also their poly ... if I remember right ... is also thinner than stock which is why they have the shims . I scored an NOS original mount that i haven't dared to use as of yet , shimmed the left replacement to get the engine level.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: JohnRR] #3171867
08/31/23 12:57 PM
08/31/23 12:57 PM
A collage of whims
topside Online content
Too Many Posts
topside  Online Content
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
To me, the engine & trans have to be level side/side.
I'd be loosening the mounts & brackets, and with a carb plate or whatever, correct that.
Could be an incorrect mount, damage, or sloppy fitment.
Mission creep can suck, but better to have it right than not.
Might have to watch header fit, and hopefully more things weren't "rigged" to accommodate the leaning.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: JohnRR] #3171876
08/31/23 01:48 PM
08/31/23 01:48 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

Thanks , I am aware of how they are listed and found out the hard way in 2005 that they are not right when I was helping a friend use a set of the Lakewoods to dial in an Ultrabell on his Challenger dragcar ... what a nightmare shout

I made the D/A mistake of doing the Block side of the dowel but not the BH side. When I installed the BH it was snug but not overly so.
When I figured out I had put the fricken pins in 180 out the R pin had been pushed into the block and seized. NIGHTMARE is an UNDERSTATEMENT
beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3171881
08/31/23 02:13 PM
08/31/23 02:13 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
To remove a siezed dowel. Weld an allen bolt (hex side) to the dowel. Slide a socket or piece of tube over the allen threads. Install a thick washer a little anti sieze on the threads and yhen a nut. Tighten the nut, it'll pull it right out.
Doug

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: topside] #3171887
08/31/23 02:43 PM
08/31/23 02:43 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I'd be loosening the mounts & brackets, and with a carb plate or whatever, correct that.
Might have to watch header fit, and hopefully more things weren't "rigged" to accommodate the leaning.

To John RR as well: The mount appear to be an original and in excellent condition (surprisingly). Maybe it was replaced when the car was restored 30 or so years ago shruggy

I did consider shimming the L side but there would still be a front to back angularity issue (yaw). In addition the poorly made L head pipe will the be too close to the torsion bar ( has already been clearanced once). There may be a few "other" issues that arise as well whistling
I am already BURIED in the car time wise and the owner is starting to squeal.
So, with all considered I think the kwik and dirty is to mod the BH mount and deal with it at a later time. No permanent change or damage done to the car and it can be easily rectified when he has more $$
I again sincerely appreciate the input and help, will keep all posted beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3171894
08/31/23 03:39 PM
08/31/23 03:39 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by TJP

To John RR as well: The mount appear to be an original and in excellent condition (surprisingly). Maybe it was replaced when the car was restored 30 or so years ago shruggy

I did consider shimming the L side but there would still be a front to back angularity issue (yaw). In addition the poorly made L head pipe will the be too close to the torsion bar ( has already been clearanced once). There may be a few "other" issues that arise as well whistling
So, with all considered I think the kwik and dirty is to mod the BH mount and deal with it at a later time. No permanent change or damage done to the car and it can be easily rectified when he has more $$

Have you tried loosening the bolts from the engine brackets to the block on both sides and leveling it that way, tighten once level ?

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: JohnRR] #3171949
08/31/23 08:16 PM
08/31/23 08:16 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
I'm not sure I'd get worked up about the Z var not being level. It is supposed to be able to cock a bit to accommodate engine rock under load.

As long as it's not binding, I'd let it go.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: ruderunner] #3171967
08/31/23 09:46 PM
08/31/23 09:46 PM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal
Originally Posted by ruderunner
I'm not sure I'd get worked up about the Z var not being level. It is supposed to be able to cock a bit to accommodate engine rock under load.

The Z-bar has small nylon bushings @ each end which can fall out if the Z-bar torques too much.
Suggest making sure the motor mounts don't have excessive end-play, and install a torque strap.

Just my $0.02... wink

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: JohnRR] #3171968
08/31/23 09:57 PM
08/31/23 09:57 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by TJP

Have you tried loosening the bolts from the engine brackets to the block on both sides and leveling it that way, tighten once level ?

I have not as I have to draw the line somewhere. If it were my car it would be a different story but he's starting to squeal and I'm buried in the car time wise frown . I have been down this road MANY times and have finally realized at 69 YO I can't fix everyone else's problems, especially for free. I have a very tolerant patient wife that has been neglected way too long.
Had a guy Call yesterday while I'm in the middle of an important phone call. ( the website clearly states to call ahead and make an appointment). Did he ? No. So I spent way more time than should have talking with him and giving him suggestions on things to try. Also referred him to another shop.
10 minutes after he leaves he calls and said it quit again and won't start. Well it quit 3 times on the way here which is about 20 miles away (there was a clue there). So am I supposed to drop everything and go bail this guy out? Sorry, told him to call a flatbed. I am done being taken advantage of and being Mr. Nice guy. I've seen very few people offering to help FOR FREE when I've needed it. Sorry for the RANT but I'm DONE!!! I love the work and I like helping others but I can't fix everyone else's problems.
I do want to Thank you for the suggestion(s) help and all the effort you have put in helping others on this site, myself included NUFF said beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: ruderunner] #3171969
08/31/23 10:09 PM
08/31/23 10:09 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

it's close to binding both laterally front to back and horizontally. The car has been this way for as long as he's owned it and I've made note of it before. The reason I have tried to correct it is I had it apart for the clutch issue. As mentioned, I'm in to deep so I'll do the best I can for free. The root cause will have to be addressed at another time. thanks for the input wink

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: Sinitro] #3171984
09/01/23 12:10 AM
09/01/23 12:10 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by Sinitro

The Z-bar has small nylon bushings @ each end which can fall out if the Z-bar torques too much.
Suggest making sure the motor mounts don't have excessive end-play, and install a torque strap.

Just my $0.02... wink

iagree Any stick car should have a torque strap(we’ll probably most autos too) because once you feel how much easier they shift you’ll wonder why it wasn’t on the option sheet back in the day.

I want my fair share
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3172064
09/01/23 12:30 PM
09/01/23 12:30 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

Just my $0.02... wink

iagree Any stick car should have a torque strap(we’ll probably most autos too) because once you feel how much easier they shift you’ll wonder why it wasn’t on the option sheet back in the day.

I also agree and every stick car I've owned had had one at the front and back of the motor. The back of the motor came about as we were losing transmission mounts after trips to the strip back in the day. We were on slicks with the suspensions set up so that may have been a factor wink

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3172108
09/01/23 02:56 PM
09/01/23 02:56 PM
South Park, Pa.
68LAR Offline
master
68LAR  Offline
master

South Park, Pa.
Originally Posted by TJP

Just my $0.02... wink

I also agree and every stick car I've owned had had one at the front and back of the motor. The back of the motor came about as we were losing transmission mounts after trips to the strip back in the day. We were on slicks with the suspensions set up so that may have been a factor wink

You don’t need a torq strap if you use solid engine mounts. Ride quality on the street will suffer a bit though. I currently run Mighty mounts with an adjustable torq strap and OE tranny mount. I tighten the strap when I race.

4 speed street legal. Best time 10.99 @ 124 mph on 93 octane pump gas @ 3926# total weight
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: 68LAR] #3172136
09/01/23 06:01 PM
09/01/23 06:01 PM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal
Originally Posted by 68LAR
Originally Posted by TJP

Just my $0.02... wink

You don’t need a torq strap if you use solid engine mounts. Ride quality on the street will suffer a bit though. I currently run Mighty mounts with an adjustable torq strap and OE tranny mount. I tighten the strap when I race.

The problem I have with solid motor mounts is the noise and vibrations through the chassis...
My preference is to use a adjustable torque strap, adjust it closely to take up any slack the engine/drivetrain for the drag races and back it off when street cruising ...

Just my $0.02... wink

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: Sinitro] #3172193
09/01/23 09:35 PM
09/01/23 09:35 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
I think there is WAY WAY too much time trying to make the linkage "perfect" when that is not the cause of the chatter issue at all. I have seen some really misaligned linkage before work perfectly my car included. It's inside the bellhousing, the flywheel, the plate or the disc is the issue here. Get the flywheel surfaced by a good machine shop then make sure the disc is not warped with a dial indicator and some type of lathe and a dial indicator.

As for solid motor mounts or motor plate if your stuff is balanced right there will be no severe vibration issues. Mine is smooth and I have gotten compliments on how smooth and quiet it is. Been running a motor plate and a poly transmission mount since I built my car about 30 years ago. The only clutch that chattered for me was a Ram sintered bronze 6 puck disc and a Hays race adjustable plate.

You have to start measuring from the crank flange then the flywheel to make sure you don't stack tolerances. Something is warped or bent somewhere.

Gus beer

Last edited by fourgearsavoy; 09/01/23 09:36 PM.

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: fourgearsavoy] #3172198
09/01/23 09:51 PM
09/01/23 09:51 PM
South Park, Pa.
68LAR Offline
master
68LAR  Offline
master

South Park, Pa.
I think there is WAY WAY too much time trying to make the linkage "perfect" when that is not the cause of the chatter issue at all. I have seen some really misaligned linkage before work perfectly my car included. It's inside the bellhousing, the flywheel, the plate or the disc is the issue here. Get the flywheel surfaced by a good machine shop then make sure the disc is not warped with a dial indicator and some type of lathe and a dial indicator.

As for solid motor mounts or motor plate if your stuff is balanced right there will be no severe vibration issues. Mine is smooth and I have gotten compliments on how smooth and quiet it is. Been running a motor plate and a poly transmission mount since I built my car about 30 years ago. The only clutch that chattered for me was a Ram sintered bronze 6 puck disc and a Hays race adjustable plate.

You have to start measuring from the crank flange then the flywheel to make sure you don't stack tolerances. Something is warped or bent somewhere.

Gus beer

I agree with all this except the tranny mount. None of what had been mentioned here will cause chatter. Dirty flywheel, pressure plate or type of disc material could and will cause chatter. One end of the z bar holds the nylon bearings in place. The other side slides free to compensate for engine torq. This doesn’t have to be perfect. That’s what the nylon bearings and the ball fittings compensate for. The other stuff mentioned will certainly help with drivability, but not cause chatter. Gus and I have been doing this for many years. Lots of experience between us. Just sayin’.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: 68LAR] #3172211
09/01/23 10:54 PM
09/01/23 10:54 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 68LAR

Gus beer

I agree with all this except the tranny mount. None of what had been mentioned here will cause chatter. Dirty flywheel, pressure plate or type of disc material could and will cause chatter. One end of the z bar holds the nylon bearings in place. The other side slides free to compensate for engine torq. This doesn’t have to be perfect. That’s what the nylon bearings and the ball fittings compensate for. The other stuff mentioned will certainly help with drivability, but not cause chatter. Gus and I have been doing this for many years. Lots of experience between us. Just sayin’.

thanks for the input from both smile Please read the previous posts by me on this issue. Page 1 and 2 are good for a start wink
When the alignment is off to the point it is grooving the pivot studs it needs to be corrected. Yes I could slap it together as the previous shops did and shove it out the door but my conscience won't allow it. I would love to find the root cause of the alignment issue but the owners budget doesn't allow it. if it were not for the lateral misalignment shimming the L mount would get by. But then we'll also have a head pipe too close to the torsion bar. What I'm doing is not correct but easily reversible when his budget allows and will alleviate the alignment issue for now.

At 69 YO I've been around the block a time or two. Couple that with 25 years of engineering, 25 years of owning a classic car resto /repair shop and 56 years of busting knuckles. I am not trying to be rude or offensive but rather fill in some of the information you must have not had. Thanks again fo r your input and trying to help beer
I will keep all posted up

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3172467
09/02/23 10:35 PM
09/02/23 10:35 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I made a dummy shaft out of 1" plastic rod boring both ends to fit the OD of the pivot balls. This allowed me to install an the mounts and shaft much easier and better see the misalignment. After trying several different things to no avail, there was a new BH mount in the parts box that came in with the car. I installed it with the dummy shaft. I proceeded to cut one of the braces closest to the pivot stud on the back of the mount. Removing a bit of material from the brace allowed me to tweak the Pivot position enough to where the dummy shaft slips all the way back and forth with no binding.
I'll weld it up tomorrow and continue with the remaining assembly. What a PITA.
Thanks again to all for the support and I am praying that the issue is history.
Will follow up once running and the clutch is tested up beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3172620
09/03/23 04:32 PM
09/03/23 04:32 PM
Rhinotruck
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by TJP
I made a dummy shaft out of 1" plastic rod boring both ends to fit the OD of the pivot balls. This allowed me to install an the mounts and shaft much easier and better see the misalignment. After trying several different things to no avail, there was a new BH mount in the parts box that came in with the car. I installed it with the dummy shaft. I proceeded to cut one of the braces closest to the pivot stud on the back of the mount. Removing a bit of material from the brace allowed me to tweak the Pivot position enough to where the dummy shaft slips all the way back and forth with no binding.

Sounds like a smart way to figure it out! Hope it works this time, keep us posted!

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: Rhinodart] #3172698
09/03/23 10:00 PM
09/03/23 10:00 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by TJP

Sounds like a smart way to figure it out! Hope it works this time, keep us posted!

After welding and painting the Z bar went right in and appears to be pretty well centered smile The hack job on the exhaust was another issue. Whomever thought of slotted on size fits all flanges should be castrated so they can't pass on their moronic thinking. Couple those with a 1/8" or so flanged lip for sealing, and a larger ID pipe than the manifold and one has a real challenge trying to line up the pipes and gaskets to the manifold.
Finally used two different sized OD sleeves to slip over each other centering the manifold and pipe. This of course required a different gasket which had to be sourced and the hole spacing modified. I'm about ready to start drinking again shock rolleyes

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3172825
09/04/23 01:38 PM
09/04/23 01:38 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
every time my old man would see me, he would look and say : "he,he,he.........i got hair and you don't.........he, he, he........."
but then, he didn't work on cars [he just broke them laugh2] and i do..............
still got any hair on the top of your head ? i don't........... panic biggrin
beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. [Re: moparx] #3172981
09/04/23 09:51 PM
09/04/23 09:51 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
every time my old man would see me, he would look and say : "he,he,he.........i got hair and you don't.........he, he, he........."
but then, he didn't work on cars [he just broke them laugh2] and i do..............
still got any hair on the top of your head ? i don't........... panic biggrin
beer

LOL yes as a matter of fact I do have a full head of hair although lately I've seen more in the shower👀😂

However, I finally got to do a test drive today and all was NORMAL, WOW!!! 💥🚀🧨🎉🎇🎯🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️imagine that. My prayers were heard 🙏🙏 up up up

I do want to thank all that contributed and offered help while reading my findings. The ROOT cause? Don't know But I'm going to guess that the bolded portion of RudeRunners post below was the culprit. beer
Before removing the flywheel, I'd like to check the runout of the face. Indicator base on the block, needle on the face.
That dark spot looks about 180 from where the grinding marks are visible. Like the flywheel wobbles.
Be a good idea to check that on the new flywheel too. Who knows if the crank flange is bent. Unlikely but not impossible.
Bellhousing concentricty is important too.
There may be multiple little things adding up.

Thanks again to ALL beer beer

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3173047
09/05/23 09:31 AM
09/05/23 09:31 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Thank you for sharing your troubleshooting procedure. It always helps to see how others attack, and solve, problems. up

RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: 6PakBee] #3173094
09/05/23 12:30 PM
09/05/23 12:30 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Thank you for sharing your troubleshooting procedure. It always helps to see how others attack, and solve, problems. up
beer
you're more than welcome up beer
MY only hope is that those that contributed have not gotten bored and ignore the post. I don't know if there's a way to highlite the title or make it stand out shruggy

It is always a challenge to walk into a bubbafied mess and try to find his ingenious approaches to doing thing's. I could write a book on them 🙄
here's a pic of the MAN HIMSELF LOL beer

Bubbas-4-7-13 edit.jpg
Last edited by TJP; 09/05/23 01:09 PM.
Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3173104
09/05/23 12:51 PM
09/05/23 12:51 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
bubba and his "helpers" have caused me untold amount of grief over the years.
glad you got this bubbafied mess behind you ! up
beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: moparx] #3173187
09/05/23 06:05 PM
09/05/23 06:05 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Bubba has nothing on farmers, I've fixed more than my share if their fixes.

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: ruderunner] #3173226
09/05/23 09:53 PM
09/05/23 09:53 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Bubba has nothing on farmers, I've fixed more than my share if their fixes.

he does have a liking for their daughters wink said just like them cow and pigs the bigger the better ( bring more at auction and BEER) LMAO

You BTW pretty much nailed it with you earlier post several days back so beer and thumbs

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3173228
09/05/23 10:14 PM
09/05/23 10:14 PM
Rhinotruck
Rhinotruck

Freaking awesome! I almost want to put one of my 4-speed cars together one of these days...LOL..

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: Rhinodart] #3173299
09/06/23 10:36 AM
09/06/23 10:36 AM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
I'm amazed at the stack up of small issues that led to the huge one you dealt with and conquered. I hope the car owner is singing your praises loudly and not whining about how much it cost only.

Carl Kessel
Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: TJP] #3173329
09/06/23 12:36 PM
09/06/23 12:36 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by TJP

After welding and painting the Z bar went right in and appears to be pretty well centered smile The hack job on the exhaust was another issue. Whomever thought of slotted on size fits all flanges should be castrated so they can't pass on their moronic thinking. Couple those with a 1/8" or so flanged lip for sealing, and a larger ID pipe than the manifold and one has a real challenge trying to line up the pipes and gaskets to the manifold.
Finally used two different sized OD sleeves to slip over each other centering the manifold and pipe. This of course required a different gasket which had to be sourced and the hole spacing modified. I'm about ready to start drinking again shock rolleyes

Did you snap a picture of the modified bracket ?

Good work getting it back to working properly.

Re: New clutch, SEVERE Chatter from a stop. SOME UPDATES [Re: JohnRR] #3173390
09/06/23 04:05 PM
09/06/23 04:05 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Did you snap a picture of the modified bracket ?

Good work getting it back to working properly.

Thanks and No I did not. The modification would have been hard to see/detect. I removed about .100" of material from the brace behind the pivot ball. Using a press and shimming I was able to tweak it toward the front of the car and upwards. Took a few attempts to get it where it looked good with the dummy shaft installed. Removed it, welded it, painted it and finished the install and assembly. I've had my fill and am looking forward to finishing the car up and sending it home. Not much left and the owners not back until Sat. so I'm tending to some other things which there seems to be an endless list of. frown beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: CKessel] #3173398
09/06/23 04:19 PM
09/06/23 04:19 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I'm amazed at the stack up of small issues that led to the huge one you dealt with and conquered. I hope the car owner is singing your praises loudly and not whining about how much it cost only.

he's definitely happy but whimpering as usual. By the log sheet I have racked up over 100 hours in this mess. That time includes the analyzing, research etc. I'll lose my backside but it's done, as right as the budget would tolerate, and likely the last one for awhile. If I hit him full bore with parts and the little that's left to do it'd be close to 15K. Hard to swallow for a chattering clutch problem.
So, what does one do? take what they can afford and eat the rest. BTW I'm going on a diet LOL 🤣😂 beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: Rhinodart] #3173399
09/06/23 04:20 PM
09/06/23 04:20 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Freaking awesome! I almost want to put one of my 4-speed cars together one of these days...LOL..

4 speeds are FUN!!!!!

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3173417
09/06/23 05:34 PM
09/06/23 05:34 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by TJP

If I hit him full bore with parts and the little that's left to do it'd be close to 15K.

This is why I learned to do it myself. I won't begrudge a man what he's earned, but conversely I couldn't afford to pay the man with the knowledge either. So I "invested" in learning how to do it myself.

Sometimes that was more expensive than letting the man do it, lol. Something I learned after the fact.

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: CKessel] #3173447
09/06/23 07:44 PM
09/06/23 07:44 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio

In this case, surrender there were a few small things but, after seeing the flywheel pictures I'd say that was 95 percent of the problem. A thousandth or so at the flange becomes pretty significant at the pressure plate bolts.

I didn't expect rest buildup but the possibility that the crank might have been dropped at some point.

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: Sniper] #3173485
09/06/23 10:11 PM
09/06/23 10:11 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by TJP

If I hit him full bore with parts and the little that's left to do it'd be close to 15K.

This is why I learned to do it myself. I won't begrudge a man what he's earned, but conversely I couldn't afford to pay the man with the knowledge either. So I "invested" in learning how to do it myself.

Sometimes that was more expensive than letting the man do it, lol. Something I learned after the fact.

Yep no way I’d have been able to stay in the hobby paying others for most of this stuff. I’ve come to accept I can afford to redo it if I screw it up, maybe buy parts I didn’t need to to begin with, etc and still be ahead of paying a shop. Tools I don’t even flinch at buying and my hobby has always led to me having tools I use in the house. I don’t think I’d want to be doing this for a hundred an hour anyway.

I want my fair share
Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3173490
09/06/23 11:18 PM
09/06/23 11:18 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by TJP

Yep no way I’d have been able to stay in the hobby paying others for most of this stuff. I’ve come to accept I can afford to redo it if I screw it up, maybe buy parts I didn’t need to to begin with, etc and still be ahead of paying a shop. Tools I don’t even flinch at buying and my hobby has always led to me having tools I use in the house. I don’t think I’d want to be doing this for a hundred an hour anyway.

I have always felt the same on most things, But in my later years I also came to realize that sometimes the mans knowledge is worth paying for, IE: Concrete work, Roofing and some others. One thing I did once and will never do again is 420 sq ft of vinyl sheet flooring in 3 rooms (all the same). Was actually offered a job by an area flooring manager when he saw the finished floor. NOT GONNA HAPPEN LOL 🤣

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3176377
09/19/23 05:02 PM
09/19/23 05:02 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
A big thank you to all that helped through this mess.
The car went home yesterday and I hope to never see it or it's owner again. I lost my backside on the deal labor wise and the customer could have cared less. Couldn't even say thank you for the detail job. He said, doubt I'll even request the money back from the other shop. I said if you don't need it it would certainly help me. No comment back.
I'm DONE!!!!
Sometimes just having a place to come and bounce ideas around is help in itself smile
Thanks again to all that helped beer beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3176391
09/19/23 05:32 PM
09/19/23 05:32 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by TJP
The car went home yesterday and I hope to never see it or it's owner again. I lost my backside on the deal labor wise and the customer could have cared less. Couldn't even say thank you for the detail job. He said, doubt I'll even request the money back from the other shop. I said if you don't need it it would certainly help me. No comment back.
I'm DONE!!!!
Sometimes just having a place to come and bounce ideas around is help in itself smile

The very fact that he brought it to you shows he can't do it himself and yet doesn't appreciate the fact that you got it done. Some people have no appreciation of what it takes to get some of this stuff done. shruggy

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3176427
09/19/23 06:20 PM
09/19/23 06:20 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Originally Posted by TJP
I'm DONE!!!!

Yes helping some times feels like it's not worth it. But dint let it stop you frim.helping others.
Some times it works out other's not so.
I have given parts free to help.guys out and was great as it helped them. But have done so and had them say thanks i really needed them. And then.later sell the parts they bothered me for. Polished a,set of wheels fir a friends car since he coukd not afford new wheels. One week later he sold them. And many more stories
But not going stop me I am just more smart now who I help.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3176428
09/19/23 06:22 PM
09/19/23 06:22 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Originally Posted by TJP
I'm DONE!!!!

Sucks, but being in business you should of had a repair order estimate. Or an open waiver signed for time and materials. Otherwise there is no way you can expect to get paid.

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: NITROUSN] #3176485
09/19/23 08:26 PM
09/19/23 08:26 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
If he comes back for anything else nail him. $$$

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: 340SIX] #3176534
09/19/23 10:40 PM
09/19/23 10:40 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 340SIX
Originally Posted by TJP
I'm DONE!!!!

Yes helping some times feels like it's not worth it. But dint let it stop you frim.helping others.
Some times it works out other's not so.
I have given parts free to help.guys out and was great as it helped them. But have done so and had them say thanks i really needed them. And then.later sell the parts they bothered me for. Polished a,set of wheels fir a friends car since he coukd not afford new wheels. One week later he sold them. And many more stories
But not going stop me I am just more smart now who I help.

NAILED IT 🎯🎯🎯

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: stumpy] #3176537
09/19/23 10:46 PM
09/19/23 10:46 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by stumpy
If he comes back for anything else nail him. $$$

Not gonna happen. He showed his "TRUE colors" when he picked it up. there were many ways he could've handled things. I had aboard member here that i was in a similar situation with.
For two or 3 yeas an envelope would show up in the mailbox with a check for X amount. Class act he was. I'll just file it under "lessons paid for" beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: NITROUSN] #3176541
09/19/23 11:00 PM
09/19/23 11:00 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
Sucks, but being in business you should of had a repair order estimate. Or an open waiver signed for time and materials. Otherwise there is no way you can expect to get paid.

Agreed,
But with these cars one cannot always predict what they are going to get into labor wise as was the case with this one. I have always insisted a car leave here right or the customer knows why. This had so many issues that I should have cut it loose but that has never been my way. I've been stiffed worse than this, but it won't happen again beer

years ago there was another that said he couldn't afford the final bill, so I cut him some slack. Two weeks later he has new wheels and tires. the next time he called I said go to Jensen tire (Local repair chain the sells tires). Don't think he put 2 and 2 together wink beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3176556
09/20/23 12:59 AM
09/20/23 12:59 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Stories like this remind me of my close personal friend that has a body shop. Painted a vette for a guy to his budget he said was tops. Guy was pleased and result was what he was told going I , based on hours allotted to bodywork at the price. Car was then take to another shop for interior as my buddy doesn’t do that.

Those guys dogged the work and charged him a bigger price to redo it, apparently not an issue this time. Hmm.

That shop butchered the body all to [censored]. Guy was pissed.

Brings car back to my friend. Price this time is more than before as the job by last yahoos left it worse than it originally was.

Guy is incensed. My buddy says well you spit in my face with this deal, plus you have all this money laying around you claimed not to have. If you’d just given me x much more the first time instead of penny pinching, you’d have a show car. You caused all this. Guy leaves.

Truth hurts.

I want my fair share
Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3176684
09/20/23 02:06 PM
09/20/23 02:06 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Stories like this remind me of my close personal friend that has a body shop. Painted a vette for a guy to his budget he said was tops. Guy was pleased and result was what he was told going I , based on hours allotted to bodywork at the price. Car was then take to another shop for interior as my buddy doesn’t do that.

Those guys dogged the work and charged him a bigger price to redo it, apparently not an issue this time. Hmm.

That shop butchered the body all to [censored]. Guy was pissed.

Brings car back to my friend. Price this time is more than before as the job by last yahoos left it worse than it originally was.

Guy is incensed. My buddy says well you spit in my face with this deal, plus you have all this money laying around you claimed not to have. If you’d just given me x much more the first time instead of penny pinching, you’d have a show car. You caused all this. Guy leaves.

Truth hurts.

I have met many (mostly good) people in the last 20+ years but times and people have changed. As the years have gone by many seem to think they are entitled to something for little to nothing. The same ones feel their efforts are worth 3X their actual value.
At 69YO I am tired, burnt out and have neglected many things while helping others including employees. The employees (all but one) left scars that will never heal. I'm done except for a few. beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3176721
09/20/23 04:03 PM
09/20/23 04:03 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i know how you feel...............
i do very little work for others, except good friends who need a hand, or a one time only help out to teach some youngster.
i have been taken advantage of many, many times over the years, just trying to be a helping hand type of guy, only to find out people expect me to be their personal mechanic or machinist and work for free, just because it's "them".
however, i catch the devil [HeLL actually laugh2] ALL the time from a couple of guys because i don't ask for help with my projects.
happened this morning when my best buddy showed up while i was painting the floor of my charger in preparation for new carpet. with his help, it took less than an hour ! i was prepared to spend most of the day on this job !
no wonder i don't get anything done ! biggrin
beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: moparx] #3176885
09/21/23 10:51 AM
09/21/23 10:51 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Online content
master
2boltmain  Online Content
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Many who are not capable of using their hands to fix there own stuff view the people who CAN fix it in this way: They think that John-Bill-Steve enjoys fixing old cars and therefore - "Because its his hobby and he loves wrenching- he wont charge me much to fix my car." The when they get the bill their true self comes out. Never mind that these same people are probably very well off financially- they want thousands of dollars worth of work performed on their car but only want to pay $600 for everything.

Last edited by 2boltmain; 09/21/23 10:52 AM.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: 2boltmain] #3176965
09/21/23 02:57 PM
09/21/23 02:57 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 2boltmain
Many who are not capable of using their hands to fix there own stuff view the people who CAN fix it in this way: They think that John-Bill-Steve enjoys fixing old cars and therefore - "Because its his hobby and he loves wrenching- he wont charge me much to fix my car." The when they get the bill their true self comes out. Never mind that these same people are probably very well off financially- they want thousands of dollars worth of work performed on their car but only want to pay $600 for everything.

I've had two several years back that I would still like to find in an dimly lit alley with no cameras. There have been a few more but these two needed to have their testicles in place of the tonsils.
This is a short version of one:
After six months of BS emails, in which I offered to address ALL of his imaginary concerns, (but he would not bring the vehicle in). I finally asked What do you want? I offered to meet him anywhere ( even the LOCAL PD) with all receipts and daily log sheets. If you still think I wronged you, give me a reasonable number and I'll pay you on the spot.
He responded with: that's not possible. I have many questions and concerns. I will present those as I see fit. When you have answered all to MY SATISFACTION, I will then decide how we'll settle this.
I responded, withdrawing all previous offers and told him I was done.
Two weeks later I receive a certified letter that I am being sued.
Great, now I have to get an attorney involved. Ca'ching🤑. Fortunately a friends FIL offered to help at a reduced rate.
BTW to total invoice was only 9K. My Attorney said it was total BS as there was no $$ in it for anyone.

So we go through all the BS and two days before the deposition they make an offer of 3500. My attorney advises to take it as the costs are going to be more if we proceed to trial.
So I do. They back out.
onto deposition. We go through the Q&A BS, his attorney looks at my 4 inch binder of doc's. I also happen to keep very detailed records wink
they offer 6k. I said not gonna happen. BUT, you made and offer 3 days ago, I accepted. Your client backed out.
I am a man of my word and will still honor that agreement.
His attorney just about grabbed the weasel by his shirt collar and took him outside the room. They came back in and said they would accept the offer.
I cut a check on the spot.
BUT WAIT THEIR'S MORE
About 8 weeks later the phone rings and the Caller ID is my attorney 👎😮. I'm like now what???? He said it was a DONE DEAL!!!
So I answer the phone. He says I've been meaning to call you. OK? He proceeds to tell me Scrote's attorney called him and was making small talk. My attorney finally asked why are you calling?
Scrote's attorney says you remember that case a couple of months back? Yes, what about it? Did your client ever pay you?
My attorney said yes, every time I sent an invoice I received a prompt payment. Why are you asking?
My client (Scrote) is claiming he is being billed for poor representation REALLY??? Hmm same 💩 he claimed with me, poor workmanship and substandard parts.
I asked can I hire his attorney to make this little (censored) life's MISERABLE???
He said let it go Tim wink He then said BTW I asked his attorney what his total bill was. 4850.00. So it cost the little SOB 1350.00 to sue me 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Karma is a wonderful thing smile I lost the labor and parts mark up but was left with enough to pay for the parts and wages.
Ironically, if he had met me at the local PD or wherever, 3500 is the number I had in mind all along.

For anyone wondering about his name, Scrote M. Edwards was a moniker we gave him whistling
I had thought abought signing him up for every thing I could, Singles mags, LBGT mags, Pedo mags, maybe a couple record type clubs etc. Once those people get a name and address it can be YEARS before one drops off the list
Hope someone enjoys the story beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3177016
09/21/23 06:57 PM
09/21/23 06:57 PM
A collage of whims
topside Online content
Too Many Posts
topside  Online Content
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Some people just need an ass-whipping, don't they ?
They lend credence to the old saw about "no good deed goes unpunished".

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: topside] #3177115
09/21/23 11:59 PM
09/21/23 11:59 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
That’s the thing about people who throw around “I’m gonna sue you” like it’s some trip to Costco. They don’t understand there has to be more than the 15-30k (or more really) on the line to even make it worth fighting for. Anybody thinking they will drop say 2k per month, after month, after month just to uphold principles hasn’t done it before.

I want my fair share
Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3177189
09/22/23 12:25 PM
09/22/23 12:25 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i always heard karma was a b!tch. biggrin
beer