T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by maximus
Do they create ice and snow jams in the winter creating other issues?

Good question for those like I that live in an area that can get snow. Although we've been getting less and less it seems. Fine by me but 18 or so years back we had to clean the roofs as it kept pilng up with out enough sun in between to melt off. What a PITA that was . beer

Re: Gutter guards ? [Re: TJP] #3150744
06/12/23 09:21 AM
06/12/23 09:21 AM
Des Moines IA
S
Soopernaut Offline
master
Soopernaut  Offline
master
S

Des Moines IA
I doubt there is anything that is totally maintenance free, like the commercials claim they are. Still, I'm sure some types are better than open gutters.

I have the kind that are completely closed on the top and use the adhesive property of water to flow over the curved edge into the gutter. The edges get dirt on them and cause the water to drip rather than flow into the gutter and I think some Maple seeds flow with the water into the gutter. In my area, it will take a lot longer for the covered gutters to fill up with debris than open gutters would. They do seem to create ice dams in areas of my roof since any melted snow will flow onto the colder gutter topper and freeze. My house is only one story so when it starts getting warm enough for the snow to start melting I go out with a shovel and remove any buildup on top of the gutters. The ice seems to come off pretty easily.

I think the mesh type of covers that sit on top of the gutters would eventually clog with dirt and debris, but I don't have first-hand experience with them. I've seen ones on TV that look like screens and think they wouldn't work for very long without needing to be cleaned.

1970 Dodge d100/eventually going on a 77 D100 frame
Re: Gutter guards ? [Re: lilcuda] #3150809
06/12/23 12:18 PM
06/12/23 12:18 PM
Washington, MI
Ashsdad Offline
Whatever you call me, my wife has called me worse.
Ashsdad  Offline
Whatever you call me, my wife has called me worse.

Washington, MI
Originally Posted by lilcuda
Originally Posted by A990
Originally Posted by Ashsdad
...and the roofers would not put them back up, but did put new mesh gutter guards on.

This is a major pet peeve. Did they kindly dispose of them too but yet charged you for the mesh? If so how generous of them.
Those have a lifetime warranty and so the roofers owe you some money.

Agreed! Why did they not want to put them back on? I would have complained loudly about that. Best thing to do in that case is to deduct what they cost from the check that you wrote to the roofer. I get so tired of contractors that pull crap like that.

It looked like the crew was trying to preserve them at first, but then they just ripped them off. I knew going in that I was going to lose them.
I was told two things:
1- It could void the warranty on the new roof (not true)
and
2- Since they did not sell them, they were unfamiliar with how to put them back up.
Even the township inspector claimed to have never seen them before. They came with the house when we bought it 20 years ago, and I was somewhat skeptical. Time won me over.

They do get dirty, but are easy to clean when doing the annual power wash of the house. If they were dirty in the fall, snow could stick to them. Made sure to power wash as late in the year as I could and then there were no problems.
The roofer I used is one of the better ones in the area. I should have looked into the warranty on the helmets to see if I could have had them removed and re-installed after. The screens were an additional $1500. Right now I am considering that a lesson learned the hard way.

Re: Gutter guards ? [Re: Ashsdad] #3151212
06/13/23 01:51 PM
06/13/23 01:51 PM
St. Louis, Missouri area
Cometstorm Offline
"Beat It"
Cometstorm  Offline
"Beat It"

St. Louis, Missouri area
Our house is a 2050 sq foot ranch.

Had mesh guards installed when built (1991)

Wooded lot with lots of oak and hickory. They didn’t do much. Leaf steams would easily get anchored in the mesh.

Had to break out the ladder and clear backed up debris regularly. A huge dangerous pain. It really was.

Years ago, replaced with the more modern type. I guess it’s a white aluminum (or something similar).

Mesh openings are much smaller.

Still have to blow off a feed areas once or twice a year, but no ladder.

I use a blower extension with an Echo PB 620 backpack.

Takes about ten, fifteen minutes.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-Po...Kz-JoNsAZxoCQ3YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

[Linked Image]

Re: Gutter guards ? [Re: Cometstorm] #3151332
06/13/23 07:57 PM
06/13/23 07:57 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Interesting. I'm looking at doing house with lots of Oak Trees and concerned about stuff bypassing mesh also. I got to do something soon though because these gutters fill up in a couple of months and then sand accumulates at bottom of gutter and ants build nests in there and it's really bad cleaning them out then!

Facts are stubborn things.
Page 2 of 2 1 2