D
Dart 500 Offline
super stock
Dart 500  Offline
super stock
D

Nor here, Nor there
Originally Posted by klunick
All good points Nutso. That said, I'd still love to see all sorts of lawsuits against the gov, specifically the exec branch, for believing they can "Mandate" anything in this country. That would be the job of the Legislative side and trying to use the 1970 Clean Air act powers is a real reach. The Government has No business picking "Winners and Losers". This should have happened some time ago. I'm sure the Rivians excel is great, but how long could you drive it like that also. Saw my first one about 2 weeks ago. Looks just like that Honda half truck. Useful for garbage runs out here in the country but that is about it. As others have stated, EVs may well be the future, but not these EVs. An EV with at least 500 mile range and a battery about the size of a briefcase. You look at Computers, it is doable, but realistically, probably 25-40 years out. 7 states have decided to follow CA and ban new ICE vehicle sales by 2035. That is simply not realistic and perhaps a step way too far. Already, while moving certain goods, I am told that we have trucks that drive to the CA border for DoD and then sit and wait for a CA legal Semi to come to the border to pick up the load. That is insane, effects not only national defense, but also trips the federal gov because it now also effects commerce.

It was a major chore just for this guy to get his home after buying it.

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: 5thAve] #3142284
05/03/23 01:52 PM
05/03/23 01:52 PM
SK. Canada
Not_A_Duster Offline
master
Not_A_Duster  Offline
master

SK. Canada
Originally Posted by 5thAve
Originally Posted by Sniper
You are not going to get much heat out of an IC vehicle heater at minus 35C either, you can try the cardboard trick, but good luck getting a piece in there with today's cars.

Never had problem getting heat when it's -35 out, it doesn't take much longer to start blowing warm just takes a bit longer to actually warm up the inside of the car.

Same.

Our V8 Ram, little patriot jeep and anything else we have purchased over the past 30 years has warmed up & operated just fine in -40 weather....even on the occasional day it gets colder than that, I've not had to use a winter front of any kind.

Cars & trucks from the '70s & '80s certainly needed help with keeping warm....anyone else here old enough to remember the stick on frost shields we used to put on a vehicles side windows to keep at least part of them clear?

....evil is winning....
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: a12rag] #3142306
05/03/23 03:34 PM
05/03/23 03:34 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Originally Posted by a12rag
Last week I flew into Vancouver, BC for meetings . . .rented a car - Hertz rental had a "Tesla 3" for rent . . .uhh, nope . . . I have NO IDEA where the damn charging sites are . . . and, do I have to bring it back "fully charged" ??? . . . just easier to rent a "regular" vehicle

A Tesla tells you where the sites are...

I have a coworker that drives his Tesla 125 miles round trip every day. Zero issues. Cost him about $5 a day for charging. He's driven it to Florida and back, along with other road trips. Zero issues. Him, and I discuss them every once in a while. Will I buy one? No. I'll keep driving my cheap daily that cost my $7K 4 years ago, and gets 40mpg. I'm just not a new car person...

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: JERICOGTX] #3142348
05/03/23 05:37 PM
05/03/23 05:37 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Last week I flew into Vancouver, BC for meetings . . .rented a car - Hertz rental had a "Tesla 3" for rent . . .uhh, nope . . . I have NO IDEA where the damn charging sites are . . . and, do I have to bring it back "fully charged" ??? . . . just easier to rent a "regular" vehicle

I have a coworker that drives his Tesla 125 miles round trip every day. Zero issues. Cost him about $5 a day for charging. He's driven it to Florida and back, along with other road trips. Zero issues. Him, and I discuss them every once in a while. Will I buy one? No. I'll keep driving my cheap daily that cost my $7K 4 years ago, and gets 40mpg. I'm just not a new car person...

Florida trip would require too many long duration stops to charge for me to stomach...not for me.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: oldjonny] #3142352
05/03/23 05:55 PM
05/03/23 05:55 PM
Nor here, Nor there
D
Dart 500 Offline
super stock
Dart 500  Offline
super stock
D

Nor here, Nor there
Originally Posted by oldjonny

Florida trip would require too many long duration stops to charge for me to stomach...not for me.

From what I gather Tesla has it largely figured out, even fast charging, the others - not so much.

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: JERICOGTX] #3142355
05/03/23 06:35 PM
05/03/23 06:35 PM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline
master
a12rag  Offline
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Hertz should have all that on their website if they want people to rent them . . .

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: JERICOGTX] #3142363
05/03/23 07:29 PM
05/03/23 07:29 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere

From Minneapolis to Tallahassee

Using Tesla's trip planner - 26 hours
Using Google maps - 21 hours

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: a12rag] #3142372
05/03/23 08:14 PM
05/03/23 08:14 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA

Hertz should have all that on their website if they want people to rent them . . .

Have what on their website?

The only thing you need to know when you’re in a Tesla is where you are going. You don’t need to know where the charging stations are, the car knows.

Last edited by BSB67; 05/03/23 08:26 PM.
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: BSB67] #3142385
05/03/23 09:04 PM
05/03/23 09:04 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by BSB67

The only thing you need to know when you’re in a Tesla is where you are going. You don’t need to know where the charging stations are, the car knows.

So the car will dictate which route I take because that's where the chargers are? Another big no!

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: Dcuda69] #3142398
05/03/23 10:35 PM
05/03/23 10:35 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Originally Posted by Dcuda69

So the car will dictate which route I take because that's where the chargers are? Another big no!

No. But charging stations are limited relative to gas stations. But you'll know your options before you pull out of the driveway.

Teslas are nice, well packaged cars that provide a good driving experience. Certainly an individual's needs and location play a big role in that. But lets not let the facts get in the way of a good EV bashing.

The original post is pretty spot on.

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: BSB67] #3142399
05/03/23 10:45 PM
05/03/23 10:45 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
I'll just throw this out there for E-Fuels which is not so good a cost per gallon solution AT THE MOMENT. A new plant in Texas should help a little to bring the cost down and if they get enough industry on board and build more production plants and really bring the cost down then it could be at least somewhat of a hope for the ICE luck

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: 360view] #3142449
05/04/23 09:10 AM
05/04/23 09:10 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA

The original successful fuel for Diesel engines was peanut oil,
after “the free fuel” coal dust kept wearing out engine parts.

All the carbon in peanut oil comes from CO2 that was in the air recently.
Peanut oil is “carbon neutral.”

Many other vegetable oils can do double duty as diesel fuel.

To get EVs like Teslas to be able to complete +300 mile road trips in varying temperature weather,
some one needs to fab up a little diesel generator set
with a very quiet “tuned stub” muffler
that runs on peanut,
or some other vegetable oil.

The gen set and its fuel tank needs to set in a spill proof metal tub that fits the EV trunk floor plan,
and has a latch to hold the trunk lid open a few inches to the air for ventilation.

The gen set power outlet needs to be custom connected to
the EV “regenerative braking electrical circuit”
so that the EV can be charged while driving.

I guess E85 fuel could also be used on gasoline gen sets,
but vegetable oil in grocery stores is more widely available than E85,
and more explosion resistant.
Same with propane.

One would have to declare and pay federal and state road tax on non-traditional vehicle fuel.
By law you have many days to do that paper work.

In line with current slang
these would be “ghost gensets”

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: oldjonny] #3142488
05/04/23 11:59 AM
05/04/23 11:59 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by oldjonny

No doubt. My wife works with some people that took a Tesla on a trip to the beach in North Carolina. Once they hit the mountains, it was game over. Required an overnight stay in order to charge up. That’s right, these awesome machines that have barely increased range since being proclaimed “the future” like ten years ago, will require you to cut loads of time off your vacation. Think about that, cut two days off a trip so you can save the planet. One lithium. Mine at a time.

Sure, they make sense at terminals, around town, probably one car per family, with something like my suv as the second vehicle. My gas guzzler suv would’ve made that beach trip for those people on one stop for five minutes to refuel, maybe even make it the whole way on one tank. Also didn’t require taxpayers to pay a kings ransom to Elon mush on top of the market price. Remember, a rebate from the government only increases the bottom line for the company, it doesn’t reduce the price of the car for the consumer. That’s Econ 101 right there.

I want my fair share
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3142578
05/04/23 08:58 PM
05/04/23 08:58 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
If EV's are mandated I will go back to riding a horse, my C02 level with rise with every horse fart... fart

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: BSB67] #3142617
05/04/23 11:47 PM
05/04/23 11:47 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by Dcuda69
[quote=a12rag][quote=JERICOGTX]

No. But charging stations are limited relative to gas stations. But you'll know your options before you pull out of the driveway.

Teslas are nice, well packaged cars that provide a good driving experience. Certainly an individual's needs and location play a big role in that. But lets not let the facts get in the way of a good EV bashing.

The original post is pretty spot on.

So the limited charge stations will dictate my route....at least I'll know where I can't go...fantastic! NOT!!

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: 360view] #3142630
05/05/23 07:03 AM
05/05/23 07:03 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by 360view

The original successful fuel for Diesel engines was peanut oil,
after “the free fuel” coal dust kept wearing out engine parts.

All the carbon in peanut oil comes from CO2 that was in the air recently.
Peanut oil is “carbon neutral.”

Many other vegetable oils can do double duty as diesel fuel.

To get EVs like Teslas to be able to complete +300 mile road trips in varying temperature weather,
some one needs to fab up a little diesel generator set
with a very quiet “tuned stub” muffler
that runs on peanut,
or some other vegetable oil.

The gen set and its fuel tank needs to set in a spill proof metal tub that fits the EV trunk floor plan,
and has a latch to hold the trunk lid open a few inches to the air for ventilation.

The gen set power outlet needs to be custom connected to
the EV “regenerative braking electrical circuit”
so that the EV can be charged while driving.

I guess E85 fuel could also be used on gasoline gen sets,
but vegetable oil in grocery stores is more widely available than E85,
and more explosion resistant.
Same with propane.

One would have to declare and pay federal and state road tax on non-traditional vehicle fuel.
By law you have many days to do that paper work.

In line with current slang
these would be “ghost gensets”

Sounds like a hillbilly hybrid

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: 360view] #3142632
05/05/23 07:09 AM
05/05/23 07:09 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/12-places-that-offer-ev-charging-while-you-shop/

Walmarts, Walgreens, Kohls, Whole Paychecks and similar...

Sure seems like an pickup mounted DC arc welder could be adapted to the correct EV plug type

Can ChatGPT imitate TV’s McGyver ingenuity?

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: 360view] #3142790
05/06/23 10:07 AM
05/06/23 10:07 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
notice the picture of Thomas Edison standing beside his EV

https://robertbryce.substack.com/p/ford-is-losing-66446-on-every-ev

sample quote

Yesterday afternoon, Ford reported a $722 million loss on its EV business over the first three months of 2023. During that span, Ford sold 10,866 EVs, meaning it lost $66,446 on every EV it sold.

For perspective, Ford lost the equivalent of a brand-new Mercedes-Benz E-class sedan on every EV it sold during the first quarter. (An E 450 4Matic has an MSRP of $66,700.)

It’s also worth noting that at the end of 2022, the average EV transaction price was about $65,000.

Ford blamed much of its first-quarter EV loss on lower production due to shutdowns at its plants in Mexico and Dearborn as it aims to boost its EV production to a run rate of 210,000 vehicles by the end of 2023.

end quote

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: 360view] #3142808
05/06/23 11:25 AM
05/06/23 11:25 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota

sample quote

Yesterday afternoon, Ford reported a $722 million loss on its EV business over the first three months of 2023. During that span, Ford sold 10,866 EVs, meaning it lost $66,446 on every EV it sold.

For perspective, Ford lost the equivalent of a brand-new Mercedes-Benz E-class sedan on every EV it sold during the first quarter. (An E 450 4Matic has an MSRP of $66,700.)

It’s also worth noting that at the end of 2022, the average EV transaction price was about $65,000.

Ford blamed much of its first-quarter EV loss on lower production due to shutdowns at its plants in Mexico and Dearborn as it aims to boost its EV production to a run rate of 210,000 vehicles by the end of 2023.

end quote

Just another example of ideology not requiring facts to not only survive, but thrive.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: 360view] #3142866
05/06/23 05:30 PM
05/06/23 05:30 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan

sample quote

end quote

They'll make it up in volume....LOL

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4