04/18/23 03:15 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
The differences you will encounter are with rates, and with activities excluded from coverage

That's a big issue, some insurers forbid "pleasure driving" i.e. all driving must be to car-related events, etc.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: 340SIX] #3139097
04/18/23 08:01 PM
04/18/23 08:01 PM
Detroit
Kidsixpack Offline
master
Kidsixpack  Offline
master

Detroit
I had Hagerty for 20 years and I really did love them. Had a claim once that went flawlessly! A few years back I decided to check prices and found them to be at the high end of collector car insurance. I don't mind paying a bit more for good service, but I saved $600 annually for six cars by switching to Grundy. $50 or $100 I wouldn't have bothered. I verified coverage in line with Hagerty and the limitations. Nothing I can't live with. I called Hagerty before switching and they wouldn't budge. Other than providing pics of the vehicles it was simple. So far adding and subtracting cars has been simple too. I've not had a claim, but I know people that have had them with no issues. Grundy will insure daily drivers although I've not checked pricing.
KID

Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: Kidsixpack] #3139186
04/19/23 05:59 AM
04/19/23 05:59 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline
master
MI_Custumz  Offline
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Originally Posted by Kidsixpack
I had Hagerty for 20 years and I really did love them. Had a claim once that went flawlessly! A few years back I decided to check prices and found them to be at the high end of collector car insurance. I don't mind paying a bit more for good service, but I saved $600 annually for six cars by switching to Grundy. $50 or $100 I wouldn't have bothered. I verified coverage in line with Hagerty and the limitations. Nothing I can't live with. I called Hagerty before switching and they wouldn't budge. Other than providing pics of the vehicles it was simple. So far adding and subtracting cars has been simple too. I've not had a claim, but I know people that have had them with no issues. Grundy will insure daily drivers although I've not checked pricing.
KID

Do both have pleasure driving as being ok?

Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: not_a_charger] #3139232
04/19/23 10:57 AM
04/19/23 10:57 AM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Originally Posted by topside
I've had a couple of different insurers on the toys, but switched to Hagerty some years back.
Ran a shop a few years ago where we repaired/restored classic vehicles, and Hagerty was great to deal with.
They're also invested in the hobby.
Switched a few of my later-model limited-use vehicles over to them, too.
Rather than look for the cheapest rate, look for best service and best fit for your vehicle(s) and how you use them.
All will require proper garaging & non-daily-driver use.

Interesting. I use my regular insurer for my 69 B'cuda(AmFam) and it's very reasonable because it wears a collector plate and is limited use. They also carry my '18 Mustang GT convert and they are VERY happy to charge me for that one even though it is limited use. There is only 2 of us in the house and we have daily drivers insured with them also so both of those cars are "pleasure vehicles" but because that Mustang can't wear a collector plate and is considered a performance sports car....they charge me for it. I didn't realize Hagerty did late model stuff.....time to go shopping! Thanks!

FWIW, AmFam does not offer Agreed Value coverage.

I see AmFam calls it stated amount coverage Is that a way to try and under pay you in a loss?

Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: second 70] #3139251
04/19/23 11:42 AM
04/19/23 11:42 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

No. It's just a different type of coverage. The consumer chooses who to have for insurance and what coverage they want. Sadly, a lot of consumers are ill informed and think they are buying one thing, but really getting something different.

Stated Amount = you tell the insurance company what you think the car is worth. They insure it for the LESSER of that amount or the Actual Cash Value. This is disclosed in the policy, which most people don't read. This coverage also has no additional exclusions/restrictions like a collector car policy would. It also costs more because the exposure is greater due to the lack of restrictions. This coverage is a good fit if you drive you classic regularly. The best way to utilize this coverage is to pay for a professional appraisal prior to insuring the car so that you can support your Stated Amount should something happen. The vast majority of carriers will offer Stated Amount coverage.

Agreed Value = you and the insurer agree that the car is worth this amount. If it's totaled, you get that amount, period. This coverage typically has lots of exclusions/restrictions and costs less than a Stated Amount policy. Only some carriers provide Agreed Value coverage.

Lots of people use these terms interchangeably. They are not at all interchangeable. There are advantages to both, but if you go with a carrier that offers Stated Amount, you have to do a little bit of work in order to ensure you're properly covered if the vehicle is totaled.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: SKR8PN] #3139369
04/19/23 08:37 PM
04/19/23 08:37 PM
Maryland
R
ro23_j Offline
ro23_j  Offline
R

Maryland
I have had Agreed Value on my RO car with American Collectors since 1985. A few years ago, I got a quote from Hagerty just to check rates and they were about double what I was already paying.

In all of the years that I have had the policy, I have never had a claim with them but dealt with their customer service recently to resolve an issue with the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration and they were very responsive and took care of it quickly.

Get some other quotes and opinions before you decide.

Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: not_a_charger] #3139468
04/20/23 10:49 AM
04/20/23 10:49 AM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
No. It's just a different type of coverage. The consumer chooses who to have for insurance and what coverage they want. Sadly, a lot of consumers are ill informed and think they are buying one thing, but really getting something different.

Stated Amount = you tell the insurance company what you think the car is worth. They insure it for the LESSER of that amount or the Actual Cash Value. This is disclosed in the policy, which most people don't read. This coverage also has no additional exclusions/restrictions like a collector car policy would. It also costs more because the exposure is greater due to the lack of restrictions. This coverage is a good fit if you drive you classic regularly. The best way to utilize this coverage is to pay for a professional appraisal prior to insuring the car so that you can support your Stated Amount should something happen. The vast majority of carriers will offer Stated Amount coverage.

Agreed Value = you and the insurer agree that the car is worth this amount. If it's totaled, you get that amount, period. This coverage typically has lots of exclusions/restrictions and costs less than a Stated Amount policy. Only some carriers provide Agreed Value coverage.

Lots of people use these terms interchangeably. They are not at all interchangeable. There are advantages to both, but if you go with a carrier that offers Stated Amount, you have to do a little bit of work in order to ensure you're properly covered if the vehicle is totaled.

AmFm made me get an appraisal before issuing my policy. The stated amount is $94,500, 100,000/300,000, 1,000 deductible. Premium $255.30 a year no restrictions. Multi car and house discounts included.

Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: not_a_charger] #3139486
04/20/23 11:55 AM
04/20/23 11:55 AM
The Grand State of Confusion-O...
SKR8PN Offline OP
master
SKR8PN  Offline OP
master

Thanks for explaining the difference in the two policies.

Karma has no menu. You get served what you deserve.
Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: second 70] #3139490
04/20/23 11:58 AM
04/20/23 11:58 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by second 70

Factual advice above

Am Fam made me get an appraisal before issuing my policy. The stated amount is $94,500, 100,000/300,000, 1,000 deductible. Premium $255.30 a year no restrictions. Multi car and house discounts included.

I would strongly encourage you to check your policy. I was with Am Fam for 28 years. At 25 years my WORKING agent retired and I went through 4 or 5 agents before bailing to an independent. During this frustrating 3 years I became aware that my two CC policies had been changed from AGREED VALUE to STATED VALUE. likely during a renewal period in which i didn't read the 14 pages of BS.
I also had business, house, workman's comp and others with them. We had ONE claim in the last 15 years due to a dishwasher leak. At renewal time the house policy jumped by 35%. They also sublet the business policy. During the 28 years the only other claim was for hail damage.
I asked them to total up what I had paid them vs what they had paid out over all of the policies during that 28 years. No response.
IMO they are not the company they used to be.
Again check your policy or you could get shafted twocents beer

Last edited by TJP; 04/20/23 11:59 AM.
Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: SKR8PN] #3139493
04/20/23 12:05 PM
04/20/23 12:05 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
During my 25 years of repairing/ restoring collector vehicles I only worked with 3 companies.
State farm in every case was horrible.
Hagerty just wrote a check, NO BS
Allstate was good but that was MANY years back and I'm not sure on the others
twocents beer

Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: second 70] #3139504
04/20/23 01:06 PM
04/20/23 01:06 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

AmFm made me get an appraisal before issuing my policy. The stated amount is $94,500, 100,000/300,000, 1,000 deductible. Premium $255.30 a year no restrictions. Multi car and house discounts included.

Yours is a great example of doing a Stated Amount policy the right way. The appraisal sets the baseline for the Actual Cash Value. Since you are owed the lesser of ACV and Stated Amount, as long as your appraised value and your Stated Amount match, you're in good shape.

DBAP
Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: second 70] #3139539
04/20/23 03:33 PM
04/20/23 03:33 PM
albany ny
05dakota Offline
I Live Here
05dakota  Offline
I Live Here

albany ny
yes, stated value is terrible, they can question value at claim time

Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Originally Posted by topside
I've had a couple of different insurers on the toys, but switched to Hagerty some years back.
Ran a shop a few years ago where we repaired/restored classic vehicles, and Hagerty was great to deal with.
They're also invested in the hobby.
Switched a few of my later-model limited-use vehicles over to them, too.
Rather than look for the cheapest rate, look for best service and best fit for your vehicle(s) and how you use them.
All will require proper garaging & non-daily-driver use.

Interesting. I use my regular insurer for my 69 B'cuda(AmFam) and it's very reasonable because it wears a collector plate and is limited use. They also carry my '18 Mustang GT convert and they are VERY happy to charge me for that one even though it is limited use. There is only 2 of us in the house and we have daily drivers insured with them also so both of those cars are "pleasure vehicles" but because that Mustang can't wear a collector plate and is considered a performance sports car....they charge me for it. I didn't realize Hagerty did late model stuff.....time to go shopping! Thanks!

FWIW, AmFam does not offer Agreed Value coverage.

I see AmFam calls it stated amount coverage Is that a way to try and under pay you in a loss?

5549 post on old board
Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: 05dakota] #3139619
04/20/23 10:15 PM
04/20/23 10:15 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Therein lies the issue with Stated value. Depending on a number of variables, the number is subject to change. With agreed value you're locked in. In my dealing with insurance companies over the years some are better than others when it comes to fairly settling a claim. So myself, I like agreed value. twocents

Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: TJP] #3139704
04/21/23 10:28 AM
04/21/23 10:28 AM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Mine are with Hagerty. And solely based on recommendations.

Not once did I hear they were tough to get your car repaired

Probably not the cheapest. But Costs were not my primary concern, Quality was

Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: not_a_charger] #3139727
04/21/23 11:35 AM
04/21/23 11:35 AM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
Thank-you for your response and the education.

Mike

Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: second 70] #3139768
04/21/23 02:21 PM
04/21/23 02:21 PM
GA
roadrunninMark Offline
master
roadrunninMark  Offline
master

GA
Do any of the classic cars insurers, like Grundy, also do insurance for home and other autos? Trying to get a discount to bundle all needed insurance…would be nice to only deal with one company.

Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: roadrunninMark] #3139770
04/21/23 02:28 PM
04/21/23 02:28 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

None of them do home insurance as far as I know, but some of the major home/auto insurers partner with companies like Hagerty to bundle your coverage and include your classic car.

DBAP
Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: not_a_charger] #3139776
04/21/23 02:59 PM
04/21/23 02:59 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
My insurance broker reps hagerty and bundles policies together but there's no discount for it. They've been pushing me to move my Hagerty policy to them but the price is the same and it seems like the couple times I looked into it and had questions they had to contact hagerty themselves for answers and get back to me whereas when I call the 1-800 number directly they can tell me anything instantly so I've never seen the point to change.

Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: roadrunninMark] #3139880
04/22/23 01:36 AM
04/22/23 01:36 AM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by roadrunninMark
Do any of the classic cars insurers, like Grundy, also do insurance for home and other autos? Trying to get a discount to bundle all needed insurance…would be nice to only deal with one company.

Grundy does not offer homeowners, but YES for all your other vehicles. When I switched to them about 6 years ago, I had 6 vehicles on my policy - two of them were comp only (my Cudas that are not driveable), 3 are everyday drivers, & our Challenger a pleasure driver. My total annual savings was around $3500.00.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Insurance for your vintage MOPAR? [Re: Sunroofcuda] #3140235
04/23/23 08:45 PM
04/23/23 08:45 PM
SKR8PN Offline OP
master
SKR8PN  Offline OP
master

Lots of great info here. Thanks to everyone!!

Karma has no menu. You get served what you deserve.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3