04/09/23 07:26 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline OP
master
That AMC Guy  Offline OP
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
And if so.... how was it?

I could not attend due to being a PureBlood.... so, the best country in the world wouldn't let me in or; well.... we just didn't want to chance it. My crazy friends have been poked but I haven't heard back from any of them.

Was there better attendance than last year? How was the weather? Think more people next year or do you think these may be the Swap's last days?

Looks like all the C*vid BS is going away by May 11th, so I'm hoping to at the very least do the Spokane Swapmeet. Maybe even Monroe. I'm trying to get a few people together, maybe do a pilgramige to Pomona since none of us have EVER been to that but..... getting a bunch of old men to do anything these days is like pulling teeth.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Re: Did anybody goto the Portland Swapmeet last weekend? [Re: That AMC Guy] #3136813
04/09/23 08:15 PM
04/09/23 08:15 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
People still go outside in Portland? runaway

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Did anybody goto the Portland Swapmeet last weekend? [Re: That AMC Guy] #3136823
04/09/23 08:49 PM
04/09/23 08:49 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I have a buddy who sold an early tri-power Corvette. Said he had people following his trailer from the time he pulled onto the grounds. Sold first day. Also said the weather sucked. Cold and raining most of the time.

Re: Did anybody goto the Portland Swapmeet last weekend? [Re: AndyF] #3136848
04/09/23 10:39 PM
04/09/23 10:39 PM
NW
hergfest Offline
top fuel
hergfest  Offline
top fuel

NW
I thought it was fantastic. The racetrack sold out two months ahead of time. Weather is always [censored] at Portland. Portland was shrinking for years but I think its back now. My buddy ended up buying a 69 Superbee (shameless plug for my Youtube channel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mZhwbhcohA

Re: Did anybody goto the Portland Swapmeet last weekend? [Re: hergfest] #3136927
04/10/23 10:40 AM
04/10/23 10:40 AM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Forgot all about it, but was busy anyway. Used to go every year; it's gotta be the largest swap meet in the NW.
The Spokane swap during the Goodguys show is a drop in the bucket by comparison, and has mostly been junky stuff.
There's a Speed & Custom show coming up that might be better, if there's also a swap meet.

Re: Did anybody goto the Portland Swapmeet last weekend? [Re: Rhinodart] #3136932
04/10/23 10:49 AM
04/10/23 10:49 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
People still go outside in Portland? runaway

Without body armor and a weapon? confused

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Did anybody goto the Portland Swapmeet last weekend? [Re: That AMC Guy] #3136934
04/10/23 11:04 AM
04/10/23 11:04 AM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline
master
a12rag  Offline
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
Originally Posted by That AMC Guy
And if so.... how was it?

I could not attend due to being a PureBlood.... so, the best country in the world wouldn't let me in or; well.... we just didn't want to chance it. My crazy friends have been poked but I haven't heard back from any of them.

Was there better attendance than last year? How was the weather? Think more people next year or do you think these may be the Swap's last days?

Looks like all the C*vid BS is going away by May 11th, so I'm hoping to at the very least do the Spokane Swapmeet. Maybe even Monroe. I'm trying to get a few people together, maybe do a pilgramige to Pomona since none of us have EVER been to that but..... getting a bunch of old men to do anything these days is like pulling teeth.

Well I headed down - 13hr drive from Calgary, on Wednesday . . . spent whole day (Thursday) round the racetrack - weather was actually only cloudy & sunny !! . . . racetrack seemed full of vendors, lots of GM/Ford, smattering of Mopar & AMC . . . Fri started back on racetrack, then headed up to Expo center indoors when the rain started . . . I haven't been in 4yrs, and to me, seemed like the indoor vendors were down, like there was space between some vendors . . . cars for sale - prices up, what I thought anyways . . . took wrong sneakers, so blisters on both feet ! Saturday - well, decided I would spend visiting buddies knew at the swap meet, give the feet a rest - rained on & off most of the day . . . Sunday, made for home with stop overnight in Spokane.

Overall, WOW . . . still lots of parts out there, some able to "deal" on, lots of others, take or leave price provided by vendor. Prices on EVERYTHING are up, Hamburger at swap meet was $12 (USD) !! Made a run for groceries to makes sandwiches, etc, grocery prices are same as here in Canada, as in the prices are way up - AND add in dollar exhange - OUCH !!!! Even "fast food joints" like Wendys or McD's, prices are up ! WIth exchange rate of $1 Cdn only $0.68 USD it hurts (damn banks) . . . Homeless people seem almost everywhere in Portland, way more so than ever (sign of times??) . . .

Walmart stores in Portland, all CLOSED, April 1 ! No April fools joke, this due to no prosecution of shop lifting, when value is $1k or lower !!! . . . so, just going to push problem out of Portland, into Gresham, Troutdale, etc . . . sad . . .

With everything being said, if you are only going to take in ONE swap meet, this should be on your list !!

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Did anybody goto the Portland Swapmeet last weekend? [Re: a12rag] #3136994
04/10/23 04:26 PM
04/10/23 04:26 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline OP
master
That AMC Guy  Offline OP
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
I've noticed a few trends over the years.

#1 There were a LOT less homeless when Mr. Trump was President. During the Obama years, it got pretty bad. Last year I went was 2019 and homelessness wasn't too terrible. 2014 we saw people living in the Walmart parking lots. It was heinously sad.

#2 Prices are a lot better when the economy is doing well and/or people are more willing to barter/deal. When the economy is in the toilet, people will hold staunchly to their prices; and you can't blame them really. We both know what an item is worth but sellers really need the money if things aren't going well.

#3 Food Vendors: When I first started attending roughly 20 years ago, we'd set aside a little money for "Treats". Mini donuts; maybe a pizza, etc. 2019 I noticed that a bottle of pop was now like $6 at the vendors. I found myself buying more cans from folks with coolers advertising a can of pop for a buck. I understand vendors have to make money but.... somethings gotta give before people completely stop buying.

I go mostly for the spectacle of it and honestly just to get out of the small town I live in and see how society is doing. I rarely buy stuff unless it's a screamer of a deal.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....