02/11/23 03:37 PM
02/11/23 03:37 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline OP
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline OP
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
many years ago, when there were few reproduction pieces available, people were wanting new outside chrome door handles.
somehow it was discovered that available truck and van door handles were almost the same as [A ?] B and C body outside handles, but a person had to remove the truck "knob push mechanism" [for lack of a better description] and replace it with your original handle's inside hook up mechanism.
i think i remember the truck/van handles to use were the 90-93 handles ? they were [and still are today] way cheaper to buy than NOS or reproduction outside handles for my charger, so i bought a pair.
and of COURSE i can't find them now when i want to compare the workings of those to my charger's handles.
does anyone remember doing this back then, or for a new paint job driver today ?
as always, a big TIA for the "use" of one's memory to "refresh" mine. bow
beer

Re: outside door handle question...... [Re: moparx] #3120733
02/11/23 05:55 PM
02/11/23 05:55 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
I've changed a few - A to B, B to A, earlier to later...whatever the car wants.
The ones for the thick rod & spring clip & the other ones I can't remember at the moment.
Never thought about the van versions, or truck, for that matter, but that makes sense...and might be what some places are selling for other applications.

Re: outside door handle question...... [Re: moparx] #3120801
02/11/23 11:13 PM
02/11/23 11:13 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
not sure ont the truck thing BUT ic an teel you some of the repro door handles DO NOT match the contour or the door on a 70 B-body. This was discovered while installing the handles on a FRESHLY painted car. The lower R corner of the handle cracked the paint and primer while tightening. NICE!!!!! A comparison of the original handles confirmed the issue.
Trim Parts handles were found to be a PERFECT FIT. this was about 5 years back beer

Re: outside door handle question...... [Re: TJP] #3120823
02/12/23 01:42 AM
02/12/23 01:42 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by TJP
not sure ont the truck thing BUT ic an teel you some of the repro door handles DO NOT match the contour or the door on a 70 B-body. This was discovered while installing the handles on a FRESHLY painted car. The lower R corner of the handle cracked the paint and primer while tightening. NICE!!!!! A comparison of the original handles confirmed the issue.
Trim Parts handles were found to be a PERFECT FIT. this was about 5 years back beer

How about the ones B, E, and A is selling? Ever use those? They sell the black button ones and I’d like to switch my car to those. I do think my paint is cracked on one door just a bit around the handle. Handles are too nice to be originals.

I want my fair share
Re: outside door handle question...... [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3120913
02/12/23 01:51 PM
02/12/23 01:51 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Originally Posted by TJP

How about the ones B, E, and A is selling? Ever use those? They sell the black button ones and I’d like to switch my car to those. I do think my paint is cracked on one door just a bit around the handle. Handles are too nice to be originals.

Don't know on the B E A ones, you cold ask who their sourec is, BTW, I believe it's fairly simple to change the buttons as i have had handles rechromed in the past. The repops I thought would be cheaper than rechroming tsk spank spank spank

Re: outside door handle question...... [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3120914
02/12/23 01:54 PM
02/12/23 01:54 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline OP
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline OP
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i remember now about some handles not matching the door contour. [thanks TJP up]
however, there were [at the time] "adapter" gaskets that were supposed to be used when using the truck handles on A,B, and C body cars.
i can't recall if they came with the handles or not.
i bought my handles at carlisle one year, and my buddy that was along with me bought a couple pair. he installed one pair on a 69 dart he has, and i don't recall him complaining about them. [he's the kind of guy that complains about everything. laugh2]
beer

Re: outside door handle question...... [Re: moparx] #3120940
02/12/23 03:16 PM
02/12/23 03:16 PM
Pgh, PA
B
Bull1tt Offline
top fuel
Bull1tt  Offline
top fuel
B

Pgh, PA
BE&A parts were from PG Classics in Canada. The Mopar truck handles were the only thing available for a few years, and yes, they didn’t fit quite right. But they were shiny and not pitted!

Last edited by Bull1tt; 02/12/23 03:18 PM.