Central Oregon
R
Rodney Offline OP
mopar
Rodney  Offline OP
mopar
R

Central Oregon
This assembly is what was set up in my race car before I started driving it.
I put a 1500 lb pressure gauge on the right rear wheel before it goes to the caliper to see the reading while I press the pedal HARD to the floor the reading is 1500 lbs.
The right front reads 900 lbs pedal Hard to the floor.
The bias seems to be backwards to what I have been told and only makes good scenes to have more brakes to the front of the car.
Am I correct?
70% front 30 % rear is what I was told by another racer.
I realize this pedal set up has a bar to adjust the bias but is a real pain to get to.
Would it make any difference if I simply changed the lines from one master cylinder to the other to get the more pressure to the front of the car?
I need to see if the master cylinders are the same size first and if different decide which the larger would go to?
Any suggestions on setting up these brakes?
Thanks

Re: Wilwood brakes dual cylinder set up question [Re: Rodney] #310816
05/07/09 10:31 AM
05/07/09 10:31 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Pressure is one thing but volume is also important. The key to setting up a custom brake system is to make sure the piston sizes are matched properly between the master cylinder and the wheel cylinder (or caliper piston).

The 70/30 split is the amount of brake force between the front and the rear. That doesn't mean the line pressure split has to be that amount, most cars have identical line pressure front to rear but they use different piston sizes to get the correct brake force split.

Re: Wilwood brakes dual cylinder set up question [Re: AndyF] #310817
05/07/09 10:57 AM
05/07/09 10:57 AM
Central Oregon
R
Rodney Offline OP
mopar
Rodney  Offline OP
mopar
R

Central Oregon
OK so first I need to determine the cylinder sizes and adjust from there.

Re: Wilwood brakes dual cylinder set up question [Re: Rodney] #310818
05/07/09 01:15 PM
05/07/09 01:15 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
To build a full custom brake system you need to know a bunch of information such as the piston size at each wheel as well as the piston size of the master cylinder. You also need to know the rotor size since that determines the length of the lever arm.

If you aren't familiar with brake system design you might want to pick up a book on the subject. Fred Puhn wrote a good one a few years back. I think it is still available.

Re: Wilwood brakes dual cylinder set up question [Re: AndyF] #310819
05/07/09 06:53 PM
05/07/09 06:53 PM
Central Oregon
R
Rodney Offline OP
mopar
Rodney  Offline OP
mopar
R

Central Oregon
You are right I am not real familiar building a custom brake system that's why I am taking a close look at my car and asking questions
since I don't really know if the guy or guys who put this car together had the knowledge either.
bottom like my a$$ is the one that's on the line if something isn't right or fails.

After talking with Wilwood tech, he says that for a drag race car having more brake in the rear is good since a drag car has much more tire on the rear than the front.
1500 lbs according to him is a bit much so I will adjust some to the front. only a 100 lbs or so.
The system has 7/8 front and rear master cylinders he says that is also good for a drag race car. It appears that the system is pretty close.
One thing I don't understand WHY is:
the front brake line {20 inches} from the master cylinder to the line lock is 1/4 inch tubing and the rest of the system is 3/16 tubing?
does anyone know if there was a reason for this being plumbed this way, or would it make any difference?
thanks