12/07/22 02:01 PM
12/07/22 02:01 PM
Columbus, GA
Michael Ecks Offline OP
pro stock
Michael Ecks  Offline OP
pro stock

Columbus, GA
Looking at new timing set and have a question for the motor gurus. (warning may contain a ford picture)

So I was today years old when I learned that the reason old small block cam sprockets have those ugly asymmetrical hole layouts is to counterbalance the weight of the fuel pump eccentric. I guess this is why the throttle body roller cam LA engines that I've disassembled still came with fuel pump eccentrics. Looking around it looks like when Ford dropped fuel pump eccentrics they still used an eccentric counterweight/oil slinger so could keep the same cam sprocket..

So I am looking at a couple of different timing sets including the Rollmaster CS5010 Billet Roller Timing Set with Nitrided Sprocket which apparently has the one of the best chains (Iwis?), but has a symmetrical hole setup (no counterbalance to eccentric). Also looking at the Cloyes Race Billet True Roller Timing Sets 9-3603X9 (not sure who makes chain) which has an asymmetrical hole pattern.

So, how big of a deal is not having the fuel pump eccentric balanced out on a street engine? Are they symmetric pattern cam sprocket sets intended only for 5.2/5.9 Magnums and eccentric delete builds? Does anyone have experience with either or both of these sets?

timechain.jpgCloyes.jpgrollmaster.jpg

"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of
your thoughts" ~ Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius
Re: SB Timing Set Questions / Recommendations [Re: Michael Ecks] #3100428
12/07/22 02:53 PM
12/07/22 02:53 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
Ive replaced a lot at work and home.Pretty much at the shop used quality non roller type.Now on ours we pretty much used Summits roller ones.Never a problem.The 360 my kid runs now is pretty stout and runs perfect.Think what your talking about is a old tale

Chrysler Firepower
Re: SB Timing Set Questions / Recommendations [Re: therocks] #3100458
12/07/22 04:01 PM
12/07/22 04:01 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
Don't know what mine looked like anymore. It might have been a cloyes I froget. But I've also never heard of anything special about one type over another or issues with the eccentric.