11/24/22 09:01 PM
11/24/22 09:01 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Wilson called to say the intake for my 541 was on the fab bench this week. While we were on the phone they complimented my intake port template and said it was one of the best hand crafted pieces they'd seen. That took me by surprise. It was functional but not pretty in my eyes. I guess they were just happy to see that I marked the sides of the template for head and intake surfaces.

Anyway, that got me to thinking....

I used a factory style valley pan on the old standard port tunnel ram because it was a touch larger than the runner window. Now that I'll have port matched runners I'm going to need a more accommodating gasket.

What are you guys using?

I could open up the pan but it would require cutting into the embossed areas around the port. Potential vacuum leaks.

The old Indy valley plate from the TT440 is still under my bench but that thing leaves a big gap requiring a fat bead of pookie and a bucket of hopes and dreams to not leak. If I could keep it sealed it would allow use of easily ported paper gaskets.

Then, there's the option of a half breed where the port windows are cut out of the valley pan and paper gaskets are used around the ports. There's a problem of dissimilar crush height leading to possible leaks. I have never had any luck stacking paper gaskets on the metal pan. The increased thickness leaves the intake misaligned.

The ports are still smaller than Max Wedge openings but I might be able to get away with those if I don't mind the gasket thick gap for the incoming air to jump. It still leaves the issue of an unsealed valley.

Thoughts?

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: RB intake gaskets [Re: feets] #3096945
11/25/22 01:24 AM
11/25/22 01:24 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I've been using different brand valley pans with gaskets only between the heads and manifold on all my M.W. head builds for a lot of years now with good luck. That started with the cast aluminum Indy brand valley pans and now I have used several other stamp steel pans like 440 Source with good success also: up: scope:

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: RB intake gaskets [Re: feets] #3096956
11/25/22 07:36 AM
11/25/22 07:36 AM
UK
rb446 Offline
mopar
rb446  Offline
mopar

UK
Originally Posted by feets
Wilson called to say the intake for my 541 was on the fab bench this week. While we were on the phone they complimented my intake port template and said it was one of the best hand crafted pieces they'd seen. That took me by surprise. It was functional but not pretty in my eyes. I guess they were just happy to see that I marked the sides of the template for head and intake surfaces.

Anyway, that got me to thinking....

I used a factory style valley pan on the old standard port tunnel ram because it was a touch larger than the runner window. Now that I'll have port matched runners I'm going to need a more accommodating gasket.

What are you guys using?

I could open up the pan but it would require cutting into the embossed areas around the port. Potential vacuum leaks.

The old Indy valley plate from the TT440 is still under my bench but that thing leaves a big gap requiring a fat bead of pookie and a bucket of hopes and dreams to not leak. If I could keep it sealed it would allow use of easily ported paper gaskets.

Then, there's the option of a half breed where the port windows are cut out of the valley pan and paper gaskets are used around the ports. There's a problem of dissimilar crush height leading to possible leaks. I have never had any luck stacking paper gaskets on the metal pan. The increased thickness leaves the intake misaligned.

The ports are still smaller than Max Wedge openings but I might be able to get away with those if I don't mind the gasket thick gap for the incoming air to jump. It still leaves the issue of an unsealed valley.

Thoughts?

Back in 1990 on my 446ci Cuda we blew the top part off on the Pro stock scoop with an N20 backfire (one time only) which sucked the stock valley pan in, as we didn't have a spare and were in competition we did exactly what you mention, cut the intake part out which was useless and used paper gskts., no probs at all, no leaks, car ran hard, the manifold was a Team G dom flange.

1969 'Cuda 446ci, best 9.96@133.9 in 1990
1971 340 'Cuda, best 11.01@122.8 in 1987
Re: RB intake gaskets [Re: feets] #3096992
11/25/22 11:00 AM
11/25/22 11:00 AM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
For a lot of years I used the standard pan and 0.015" gaskets on both sides. Sizing the pan ports to the proper opening size is a small labor of love. I flattened the embossed portion and cut into them as needed. After detailing the alignment, I glued the paper to the pan making a paper/pan/paper sandwich. They sealed fine.

This last time, I just used the Hughes Max Wedge pan and gaskets.

I've thought about your hybrid approach with 0.030 gaskets on both sides. I'm sure it would work.

Someone else has used the pan gasket with the ports cut off and bent/tabbed the pan under the heads and used silicone sealer like you would for your Indy plate.

Re: RB intake gaskets [Re: BSB67] #3096999
11/25/22 11:31 AM
11/25/22 11:31 AM
Plymouth, MI
Blusmbl Offline
master
Blusmbl  Offline
master

Plymouth, MI
I think what you're describing is a perfect use case for AndyF's batwings, especially since you already have the Indy valley plate.

https://arengineering.com/products/batwing-gasket-holders/

'18 Ford Raptor, random motorcycles, 1968 Plymouth Fury III - 11.37 @ 118
Re: RB intake gaskets [Re: BSB67] #3097002
11/25/22 11:36 AM
11/25/22 11:36 AM
Mooresburg, Tn
'
'72CudaRacer Offline
top fuel
'72CudaRacer  Offline
top fuel
'

Mooresburg, Tn
What about something fabed up like Andy F's "batwing gasket holders" and a Indy style valley plate? Use gaskets on both sides of the gasket holders and sealer to the plate.

Brian

Re: RB intake gaskets [Re: Blusmbl] #3097388
11/26/22 09:35 PM
11/26/22 09:35 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Blusmbl
I think what you're describing is a perfect use case for AndyF's batwings, especially since you already have the Indy valley plate.

https://arengineering.com/products/batwing-gasket-holders/

I looked at his site first. Somehow, I missed that stuff. After posting I went back and found them.
I've already pestered him about the bat wing thing. biggrin

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon