04/21/22 11:45 AM
04/21/22 11:45 AM
Seattle, WA
375inStroke Offline
Special needs person
375inStroke  Offline
Special needs person

Seattle, WA
Last time I got drums from Rock Auto, the sticker on the side had several manufacturer's names, and their respective part numbers. You hear that they all come from the same Chinese factory, but I've never seen it so blatantly published. Anyways, they warped on the first drive to work. Had the ones that were on the car turned, and been driving with those since.

Re: Which brake drums are good these days? [Re: 375inStroke] #3035756
04/21/22 04:40 PM
04/21/22 04:40 PM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
Originally Posted by 375inStroke
Last time I got drums from Rock Auto, the sticker on the side had several manufacturer's names, and their respective part numbers. You hear that they all come from the same Chinese factory, but I've never seen it so blatantly published. Anyways, they warped on the first drive to work. Had the ones that were on the car turned, and been driving with those since.

Sounds like they need to be heat treated to stress relieve them before checking them for roundness and then turning.

Years ago we had our ring and pinions heat treated to stop them from cracking. Was really inexpensive.

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: Which brake drums are good these days? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3035758
04/21/22 04:53 PM
04/21/22 04:53 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
I talked to the old timer place and they still turn them. When I get them off I’ll see if there is anything left on the bone to cut. The previous owner said a local shop supposedly did xyz to the car and things haven’t worked out in reality. I do think they changed the master since it was in a box and the rear end was rebuilt so I think those were done. For the fronts to be at the end of adjuster and not dragging other than the high spot is a bad deal. If they can’t be turned, at least I did get the maxed out set off this thread as a backup.

I checked and yeah eBay has nos for a combined 1500 shipped. Not doing that. I’d pay a good bit for those, but at that amount I’ll make discs the only non stock part on my car. Be better in traffic as I do drive my stuff.
What a shame the ebay seller wants that much because it's likely they'll never sell at that price and if they would ask a reasonable price you both could benefit. My Diplomat Police has the big vented drums in back and discs in front. I have a set of NOS rotors for the front in storage for whenever. Nowhere near needing them but at least I know I have them tucked away. I get 100k miles out of brake jobs.

Facts are stubborn things.
Page 2 of 2 1 2