01/30/22 02:17 AM
01/30/22 02:17 AM
Here
DirectSubjection Offline OP
Tacohead. The First and Only
DirectSubjection  Offline OP

Here
My mother bought a Jeep Compass in 2012 and she loves it. Except one thing - under certain conditions its door locks would unlock themselves. Sitting in the driveway or as they drove. I drove it myself when it was doing it - click click click - annoying! Mostly it did it when it was very humid or wet, more when colder.

She was worried it would unlock itself when she was parked somewhere. I googled Jeep door unlocking and its a really common problem with no fix. The first the dealer did was replace the driver's side door lock switch at $$s. My parents had that done and like the others, didn't fix it.

I looked into taking the door panel off and fixing it myself. Compass door panel removal is crazy, requires complete disassembly, to the point of taking all the window stuff out. Since I knew it wasn't the switch I looked into it. The armrest comes off with one philips screw then a bunch of long arrow-pointed tabs in elongated slots. I had ambitions of removing the door panel so I started the process, after getting into it I realized it was ridiculous for me to do all that just to have a look in there so I put it back together.

After my father died and it was just me and mom, I re-looked into it. I tried pulling the door lock fuze. Then it wouldn't unlock and my mom used the key to open the door but the rear hatch doesn't have a key option. Depending on when I pulled the fuze it was either always locked or always unlocked - no good. I had the thought to take it to a dealer and pay them to replace the door's wiring harness at $$s. But since the pandemic started a friend told me someone else with a different vehicle wanted that done and the dealer refused.

I took the armrest off again. This time I noticed the top front tab on it was pressing into the door's wiring harness! I could see a vertical king of crease in the outer wire's insulation where the tab pressed. I couldn't do much with it still in the door but I wrapped some electrical tap around some wires there and ground down the end of the tabs point ( they are shaped like an arrow). It helped! The doors didn't unlock themselves as much as they had. But they still did it.

Early October I pulled the armrest and attacked that tab again. I dremeled it down almost to the point it would fasten any more. I would guess I took at least an eighth of an inch off it, maybe closer to a quarter inch. Since i did that it has not unlocked itself once. Over 3 months thru reavy rain, cold, snow, crazy bad humidity. Not once!

Keep this in mind if you run into this issue.

Ride eternal, shiny and chrome
Re: Jeep Compass doors unlocking on their own [Re: DirectSubjection] #3010658
01/30/22 08:30 PM
01/30/22 08:30 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
Good to know.

The old Neon/PT Cruisers had a problem with the key fob receiver going bad and they would lock and unlock randomly. Glad to know yours was a cheaper fix and will probably last longer.

Re: Jeep Compass doors unlocking on their own [Re: IMGTX] #3010682
01/30/22 10:38 PM
01/30/22 10:38 PM
Here
DirectSubjection Offline OP
DirectSubjection  Offline OP

Here
Originally Posted by IMGTX
Good to know.

The old Neon/PT Cruisers had a problem with the key fob receiver going bad and they would lock and unlock randomly. Glad to know yours was a cheaper fix and will probably last longer.

Yes - people mentioned that. Just to be sure we isolated the keys and it didn't stop. up

Ride eternal, shiny and chrome
Re: Jeep Compass doors unlocking on their own [Re: DirectSubjection] #3011558
02/02/22 01:38 PM
02/02/22 01:38 PM
Paducah, KY USA Earth
J
jcruse64 Offline
enthusiast
jcruse64  Offline
enthusiast
J

Paducah, KY USA Earth
I'd prefer that over my wife's '94 Stealth locking its doors on its own.