10/09/21 10:10 PM
10/09/21 10:10 PM
PA
moparacer Offline
master
moparacer  Offline
master

PA
I use a computech race air pro for weather but have not used the ET predictor part of it yet.

I never put faith in any et prediction software. I dial off my gut and the situation I am in at the time.

Wouldn't have been much predicting this weekend as every pass was a 5.57, but I looked at the weather off of it, got in the off the trailer bogey race Friday morning and won that with a 5.574 on a 57 dial.

I am getting good enough with it to do that now but the car has to work first. Getting That is harder than predicting the weather sometimes. I have tinkered with my setup for a year and a half to get it half decent and still things I want to try.

67 Barracuda street/bracket car 11.27-119
68 Dart 502 BB 8.70s-152
414 cid SB Dragster 7.65-174
Re: E.T. Prediction and Weather Station [Re: moparacer] #2972574
10/10/21 01:38 AM
10/10/21 01:38 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I think writing down the weather after each run and looking at it for the same track will show you the trend, mechanical computer based programs are just that, computer based programs somebody wrote work shruggy
My first weather instrument I bought for racing was a old Moon air density gauge realcrazy shruggy Graduated to a store bought barometer, humidity and air temp gauge and wrote those readings down, after learning to fly I bought a good aircraft altimeter and used it with the weather gauges, you can't have to much information up The bad thing about aircraft altimeter is their readings are base on instrument standard conditions and you have to have corrected altimeter reading to set them properly, not the actual barometer reading were your racing with rant shruggy
Once I moved out of CA to central OR where it gets real cold at night in the winter I learned the hard way that the altimeters didn't like being left in the race trailers all winter, they(two different ones realcrazy) must have froze up and stuck the needle whiney
I bought a early hand held racing calculator that would do E.T. Predictions based off of the 3 instruments I had, not like today weather stations.
My current Performaire Eclipse is not real accurate either, I still have to operate the throttle and brakes whistling work shruggy shruggy

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: E.T. Prediction and Weather Station [Re: Cab_Burge] #2972589
10/10/21 05:33 AM
10/10/21 05:33 AM
Sydney,Australia
tex013 Offline
top fuel
tex013  Offline
top fuel

Sydney,Australia
I use a performaire hand held unit , but i dont dial off it .
I manually log weather when i press hold on machine , folder on bench seat . I then dial off what the car is actually running on the day , def prefer 2 qualifiers. I have to be careful cause often on the 5th or 6th pass it will start to speed up . Dont know why but done it with 2 motors and 2 transmissions

Tex

New best ET 10.259@129.65 .
New best MPH 130.32
Finally fitted a solid cam,
stepped it up a bit more
3690lbs through the mufflers
New World block 3780lbs 10.278@130.80 . Wowser 10.253@130.24 footbraking from 1500rpm
Power by Tex's Automotive
Re: E.T. Prediction and Weather Station [Re: tex013] #2972619
10/10/21 10:21 AM
10/10/21 10:21 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
I can tell you having bee a .90 racer who had a far amount of success that we absolutely dial off the ET predictions software. I could generally pull into any track I have never run and hit the number first hit off the trailer, did it numerous times and am helping some friends this weekend do the same. The key is having differing weather conditions in the machine, meaning racing at different tracks at with wildly different conditions. We go from the high desert where actual elevations can be 5200' with humidity in the low single digits to sea level condition's where the air is wet and grains are high. The key is analyzing data and digging down in what it is that affects YOUR COMBO the most. And that can very wildly from car to car. I just straightened someones info out this weekend and he has gone from not finding the number to running dead on last night. However for what most here do bracket racing at their home track on a one day event it is much simpler than trying to run an event over 5 days with what has been different weather every day on a stop. For local stuff often a handheld or even a Kestrel with just weather conditions will yield enough info to accurately dial the car.

FWIW I have not found anything more challenging in drag racing than learning to interpret weather conditions over a multiple day race with a stop on the car. We rarely race on a day we had a time run in. In S/ST your first round is often first thing in the morning on race day with zero info from that day and weather that can be totally different than anything you have seen all weekend. If you cannot rely on a weather station, prediction software and a knowledge of what affects your combo you will be LOST. Headed out to the track now to run second round first thing in the am with completely different weather than we have run in this weekend.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: E.T. Prediction and Weather Station [Re: Al_Alguire] #2972690
10/10/21 01:30 PM
10/10/21 01:30 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Running multi day events at tracks all over will definitely teach you a few things.

Time shot or two Thursday. Couple of rounds Friday and Saturday. And if you're still in, last couple of rounds Sunday, hot lapping you because they want to wrap it up.

And if it rains...we got a time shot and a couple of rounds in at Englishtown one year, Thursday and early Friday, and it started to rain. Rained until Tuesday. Unload it and race.

Everyone is in the same boat. Just have to know your car.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: E.T. Prediction and Weather Station [Re: CMcAllister] #2972745
10/10/21 04:10 PM
10/10/21 04:10 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Running index over a few days can be challenging. I've found the Crew Chief Pro with Altronics weather data to work very well. The system has easily paid for itself in winnings.
Doug

Re: E.T. Prediction and Weather Station [Re: Cab_Burge] #2972917
10/11/21 08:23 AM
10/11/21 08:23 AM
Shelby Twp. Mi
HardcoreB Offline
master
HardcoreB  Offline
master

Shelby Twp. Mi
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by Leigh
[quote=HardcoreB]
Again, respectfully, after a couple dozen sets of PH362 Phoenix (Firestone Drag 500, in the “old days”), once they get used, and then sit for more than 6 months, they loose that nice soft, suppleness. I can tell, as there isn’t any debris stuck to the tread face. When they are fresh, they actually make a heck of a mess, there is so much debris that sticks driving back after a pass. Anyway, that’s my take. Thanks!

I found just the opposite with a set of 16x33x15 Goodyears that had been on my current S/P car for over 6 years in Tuscon, AZ stored inside, they had been well used but had a little over 1/2 the wear indicators left even with one set of the cords on the side walls being broken.
I put a 650+ HP E 85 bracket motor in the car and did one long burn out and they work very well shock shocked the hell out of me shruggy
I have had similar experiences with the old Firestone drag tires when I ran NHRA stockers back before 1989, 50 runs max and replace and sell them at a swap meet for 1/2 price whistling realcrazy
I had friend who would put 15 to 30 runs on them and then put new ones on due them starting to slow down a little bit each run after they quit hooking well whiney

I definitely stand corrected on the slicks, the slicks I am familiar with are the M/T. This is good to know because I for sure wont be buying Phoenix tires. lol I still feel there is something in finding that missing 50 or so HP. Without a bunch of typing my reasoning lies pretty much with CMcallisiter (spelling?). One or more elements that are holding it back likely can throw predictability off. Either way again congrats on getting out there! Recalling my recent trials with support gear and misc BESIDE the car part definitly could fill a book. Regards!

Page 2 of 2 1 2