08/31/21 10:03 AM
08/31/21 10:03 AM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline OP
master
11secdart  Offline OP
master

new jersey usa
I purchased a new 21 Ram 1500 Hemi Quad cab a few months ago....I knew even before getting the truck I would need to put in air bags for towing as I saw how they sag with a trailer attached. My last truck 08 H.Q.C had air bags that attached to the frame and rear housing ( I actually used the same ones I had in my 02 Durango ). Since my new truck has coil springs I decided to try the Firestone bags that mount inside the spring... the instructions say force the bag between the coils to install... after wrestling with the bag and trying it that way for about an hour, I just disconnected the shock and lowered the rear and removed the springs to install the bag into the springs the whole job took about four hours. Three weeks ago I was airing up the bags for towing with out the trailer attached and one of the bags blew out at 60 psi ( they recommend not exceeding 70 psi ) It appears when it was molded an area of the bags material was real thin thus couldn't take the pressure, they lasted about a month.. Thanks Firestone!!! there's a reason they were a little over $100 and the Air Lift set up I just put in was almost $400 . The Air Lift bag set up works great it mounts to the frame and rear housing like my old setup installation sure wasn't easy as it took almost 7 hours with some cutting and tight spots but at least I was able to use the same air line set up as the Firestone junk bags thus not having to route lines again. I guess the moral of the story is " you get what you pay for " and the Firestone bags are junk!!!

Last edited by 11secdart; 08/31/21 10:07 AM.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: Air bags for Towing [Re: 11secdart] #2959379
08/31/21 10:38 AM
08/31/21 10:38 AM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Online content
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Online Content
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Originally Posted by 11secdart
I purchased a new 21 Ram 1500 Hemi Quad cab a few months ago....I knew even before getting the truck I would need to put in air bags for towing as I saw how they sag with a trailer attached. My last truck 08 H.Q.C had air bags that attached to the frame and rear housing ( I actually used the same ones I had in my 02 Durango ). Since my new truck has coil springs I decided to try the Firestone bags that mount inside the spring... the instructions say force the bag between the coils to install... after wrestling with the bag and trying it that way for about an hour, I just disconnected the shock and lowered the rear and removed the springs to install the bag into the springs the whole job took about four hours. Three weeks ago I was airing up the bags for towing with out the trailer attached and one of the bags blew out at 60 psi ( they recommend not exceeding 70 psi ) It appears when it was molded an area of the bags material was real thin thus couldn't take the pressure, they lasted about a month.. Thanks Firestone!!! there's a reason they were a little over $100 and the Air Lift set up I just put in was almost $400 . The Air Lift bag set up works great it mounts to the frame and rear housing like my old setup installation sure wasn't easy as it took almost 7 hours with some cutting and tight spots but at least I was able to use the same air line set up as the Firestone junk bags thus not having to route lines again. I guess the moral of the story is " you get what you pay for " and the Firestone bags are junk!!!

You could of damaged them trying to jamb then in there. Most all Ram 1/2 tons we could do in an hour and a half. All the ones we installed the directions said to take the shock lower bolts out and let the axle drop. Remove the spring and you need to install the upper and lower protection pads. The bags then go in place very easy. Never had a bad bag unless the installed screwed up. Never had a bad Firestone or Air Lift bag go bad unless again something was done wrong. I am sure long term they can go just like bags on a semi and trailer. Not sure what part number you used but most have a 35 psi max. They also have a lifetime warranty. If I was to do one today I would have no problem with the Firestone.

Re: Air bags for Towing [Re: NITROUSN] #2959422
08/31/21 12:05 PM
08/31/21 12:05 PM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline OP
master
11secdart  Offline OP
master

new jersey usa
Thanks but no it wasn't damaged during installation , I didn't use any type of tool that would damage it and I had the rear hanging for the most space in the coil .I cut the bags apart to remove them and it can clearly be seen that the plastic was very thin in the area that blew compared to the rest of the bag, My set stated 70 psi max I checked and had 60 psi at the time. I also installed the pads required. My other set that bolted to the frame were in two different vehicles and lasted about 17 years before developing a leak by the air inlet, I replaced them and they were still good when I traded the truck in back in June. I should have kept the receipt for the in the spring type for a refund as they only lasted a month. I wanted to see if the in the spring type were as good as the other type clearly in my case they weren't.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV