04/22/09 01:28 AM
04/22/09 01:28 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Cudalord Offline OP
enthusiast
Cudalord  Offline OP
enthusiast

Scottsdale, AZ
I'm trying to clean up my rats nest of wires, and redoing all the connections with solder and heat shrink connectors. Ran into a few blocks, any help is appreciated as always.

1. Question about the black wire coming from the bulkhead that runs to the battery side of the alternator. I put the test light to the female plug on the firewall bulkhead where the black wire plugs into, and power is always "HOT" coming OUT of the firewall - even with key out of the ignition. This seems odd to me as from my understanding, the BAT side of the alternator is the output. Can anyone confirm?

2. Does anyone have a simple diagram of the ignition wiring, including the alternator with electronic ignition/module? The splices are throwing me off a little here. I checked the electric section in the Tech area, but didn't see any complete wiring diagrams.

3. MY voltmeter broke, but when I put my test light on the IGN2 side of the ballast, the light was dim, on the IG1 side it was a solid bright. Is this normal?

Hope these questions make sense. I just spent a couple of hours in the garage trying to figure this out with my manuals and needed a breather.

Thanks!!!

Re: "Battery" wire on the alternator - 70 Cuda 440 [Re: Cudalord] #295936
04/22/09 01:41 AM
04/22/09 01:41 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What you found is normal. The ign switch readings are low on the "run" side caused by the ballast resistor, and the BAT connection for the alternator is always hot

Here's a partial list of some Mopar wiring diagrams

http://www.mymopar.com/66to71_wiring.htm

Re: "Battery" wire on the alternator - 70 Cuda 440 [Re: Cudalord] #295937
04/22/09 03:44 AM
04/22/09 03:44 AM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline
Why would you even post that?

So Cal
Quote:

I'm trying to clean up my rats nest of wires, and redoing all the connections with solder and heat shrink connectors. Ran into a few blocks, any help is appreciated as always.

1. Question about the black wire coming from the bulkhead that runs to the battery side of the alternator. I put the test light to the female plug on the firewall bulkhead where the black wire plugs into, and power is always "HOT" coming OUT of the firewall - even with key out of the ignition. This seems odd to me as from my understanding, the BAT side of the alternator is the output. Can anyone confirm?

Normal Do not cut

Quote:

2. Does anyone have a simple diagram of the ignition wiring, including the alternator with electronic ignition/module? The splices are throwing me off a little here. I checked the electric section in the Tech area, but didn't see any complete wiring diagrams.

Yes look at two links below

Quote:

3. MY voltmeter broke, but when I put my test light on the IGN2 side of the ballast, the light was dim, on the IG1 side it was a solid bright. Is this normal?

It is dimmer because you are reading the back fed voltage to the light.

ignition 2 is the power you get from the key in crank mode (full 12 volts only when the key is in crank) to the coil. But if the key is not in the crank mode you are getting the voltage fed back from the IGN1

Quote:

Hope these questions make sense. I just spent a couple of hours in the garage trying to figure this out with my manuals and needed a breather.

Thanks!!!

Take a look at the links. I colored the wires so it is a whole lot easier to read and follow.

inside wire harness

Engine side

Download and save as I will pull the link off in a week. They should be able to fit a legal size piece of paper each. Easier to read looks something like this, but larger size so you can print and read.

If I posted the full size someone would scream.

The wire colors should be similar to yours on the cuda... The spots on the junction blocks is where you will see the difference if any. You could also download the pictures from the link that 440sixpack showed and color the wires yourself, but this should give you a good idea of how the system works.

Re: "Battery" wire on the alternator - 70 Cuda 440 [Re: HealthServices] #295938
04/22/09 10:14 AM
04/22/09 10:14 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Cudalord Offline OP
enthusiast
Cudalord  Offline OP
enthusiast

Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for the diagrams! My wiring is a little different because I have the 70 Model with dual fields on the alternator, but it helps. Does anyone have a complete ignition diagram with the electronic ignition wired in?

Don't mean to be a pest, but I want to do this once and be done with it!

Thanks again

Re: "Battery" wire on the alternator - 70 Cuda 440 #295939
04/22/09 11:06 AM
04/22/09 11:06 AM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Quote:

What you found is normal. The ign switch readings are low on the "run" side caused by the ballast resistor, and the BAT connection for the alternator is always hot

Here's a partial list of some Mopar wiring diagrams

http://www.mymopar.com/66to71_wiring.htm

wiring diagram link already posted for you.

Last edited by stumpy; 04/22/09 11:07 AM.
Re: "Battery" wire on the alternator - 70 Cuda 440 [Re: Cudalord] #295940
04/22/09 11:12 AM
04/22/09 11:12 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Don't mean to be a pest, but I want to do this once and be done with it!

Ask away, we have more time than money & are willing to help

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth