07/10/21 01:33 PM
07/10/21 01:33 PM
my own world
theraif Offline OP
master
theraif  Offline OP
master

my own world
looks cool to me. U S government says you can own and drive it on the road but maine says NO......................
""""What does Maine consider to be an “off-road vehicle?” And how does the Delica qualify? Here’s where a brand-new modification (LD 1433 Sections 1-8) to Title 29-A comes into play. The Secretary of State’s office informed us that Maine passed a law on June 15, 2021, that clarified this question. The definition of an “off-road vehicle” in Maine is as follows:

“‘Off-road vehicle’ means a motor vehicle that, because of the vehicle's design and, configuration, original manufacture or original intended use, does not meet the inspection standards of chapter 15, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, the United States Environmental Protection Agency's pollutant requirements or the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration's crash testing standards and that is not a moped or motorcycle.”""""

read more >>>>>>>>>>>>> https://www.yahoo.com/autos/maine-actively-deregistering-imported-mitsubishi-222800812.html

Re: Maine being sneaky deregistering imported Mitsubishi Delicas [Re: theraif] #2941799
07/10/21 01:39 PM
07/10/21 01:39 PM
Connecticut
1972CudaV21 Offline
master
1972CudaV21  Offline
master

Connecticut
How many of these could be in Maine? I’m guessing just a handful?

China is the enemy.
Re: Maine being sneaky deregistering imported Mitsubishi Delicas [Re: 1972CudaV21] #2941804
07/10/21 01:45 PM
07/10/21 01:45 PM
Florida
BDW Offline
master
BDW  Offline
master

Florida
Bigger problem is where does this lead......

That doesn’t guarantee other cars will be safe. Nor does it guarantee that they won’t be deregistered either. Without any clear answers on specific models, the future of these 25-year import vehicles in Maine is shaky at best.

To take this definition a bit further (just for the sake of it), any classic car sold in America from decades ago will not meet current crash safety or emissions standards. A Delica will crash worse and pollute more than a brand-new Toyota Sienna, but you could say the same for a 1990 Oldsmobile Silhouette or a 1929 Ford Model A. If that’s what Maine is getting at, then the language of this law falls into the old slippery slope cliché.

Re: Maine being sneaky deregistering imported Mitsubishi Delicas [Re: BDW] #2941821
07/10/21 03:03 PM
07/10/21 03:03 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
S

Home
Interesting as I've seen a few of those around. Not sure why anyone would want a 25-30yr old RHD van, but...whatever

Re: Maine being sneaky deregistering imported Mitsubishi Delicas [Re: BDW] #2941863
07/10/21 05:23 PM
07/10/21 05:23 PM
Connecticut
1972CudaV21 Offline
master
1972CudaV21  Offline
master

Connecticut
Originally Posted by BDW
Bigger problem is where does this lead......

That doesn’t guarantee other cars will be safe. Nor does it guarantee that they won’t be deregistered either. Without any clear answers on specific models, the future of these 25-year import vehicles in Maine is shaky at best.

To take this definition a bit further (just for the sake of it), any classic car sold in America from decades ago will not meet current crash safety or emissions standards. A Delica will crash worse and pollute more than a brand-new Toyota Sienna, but you could say the same for a 1990 Oldsmobile Silhouette or a 1929 Ford Model A. If that’s what Maine is getting at, then the language of this law falls into the old slippery slope cliché.

If environmentalists could crush every ICE vehicle in America, I’m sure they would. Especially if they hate everything about our country.

China is the enemy.
Re: Maine being sneaky deregistering imported Mitsubishi Delicas [Re: theraif] #2941867
07/10/21 05:37 PM
07/10/21 05:37 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by theraif
looks cool to me. U S government says you can own and drive it on the road but maine says NO......................
""""What does Maine consider to be an “off-road vehicle?” And how does the Delica qualify? Here’s where a brand-new modification (LD 1433 Sections 1-8) to Title 29-A comes into play. The Secretary of State’s office informed us that Maine passed a law on June 15, 2021, that clarified this question. The definition of an “off-road vehicle” in Maine is as follows:

“‘Off-road vehicle’ means a motor vehicle that, because of the vehicle's design and, configuration, original manufacture or original intended use, does not meet the inspection standards of chapter 15, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, the United States Environmental Protection Agency's pollutant requirements or the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration's crash testing standards and that is not a moped or motorcycle.”""""

read more >>>>>>>>>>>>> https://www.yahoo.com/autos/maine-actively-deregistering-imported-mitsubishi-222800812.html

Circumvent Maine, register it in another State if possible.....

Re: Maine being sneaky deregistering imported Mitsubishi Delicas [Re: SRT6776] #2941887
07/10/21 07:16 PM
07/10/21 07:16 PM
Central Michigan
N
nuthinbutmopar Online content
super stock
nuthinbutmopar  Online Content
super stock
N

Central Michigan
Originally Posted by SRT6776
Interesting as I've seen a few of those around. Not sure why anyone would want a 25-30yr old RHD van, but...whatever

25-30 year old RHD van with 25% of the miles of a similar age US vehicle, bulletproof diesel engine, All-wheel-drive, high-level interior, etc, for 1/2 the price of a Big-3 diesel pickup from the same era? Who'd want that?

The real question in my mind is, WHO at the State of Maine picked out the Mitsubishi Delica, and WHY. I'll bet you can ask 1,000 State of Maine employees if they know what a Mitsubishi Delica IS, and you'll get 1,000 blank stares. My expectation is that SOMEBODY at the State got pi$$ed at a Delica owner, and used their power like a scalpel. IMHO, this is WAY too specific to be the beginning of a movement to outlaw full classes of vehicles.

Re: Maine being sneaky deregistering imported Mitsubishi Delicas [Re: nuthinbutmopar] #2941889
07/10/21 07:24 PM
07/10/21 07:24 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
SRT6776  Offline
S

Home
Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar
Originally Posted by SRT6776

25-30 year old RHD van with 25% of the miles of a similar age US vehicle, bulletproof diesel engine, All-wheel-drive, high-level interior, etc, for 1/2 the price of a Big-3 diesel pickup from the same era? Who'd want that?

The real question in my mind is, WHO at the State of Maine picked out the Mitsubishi Delica, and WHY. I'll bet you can ask 1,000 State of Maine employees if they know what a Mitsubishi Delica IS, and you'll get 1,000 blank stares. My expectation is that SOMEBODY at the State got pi$$ed at a Delica owner, and used their power like a scalpel. IMHO, this is WAY too specific to be the beginning of a movement to outlaw full classes of vehicles.

Seems like a cool buggy but once I see RHD I lose all interest. I see imported skyline's, RX7's and supras all the time with it, I;d drive it around the block once and then turn it into LHD

Re: Maine being sneaky deregistering imported Mitsubishi Delicas [Re: SRT6776] #2941947
07/11/21 01:00 AM
07/11/21 01:00 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I suspect the issue with it is that because when it was new, it didn't meet the safety or emission standards for that time. The vehicle was not allowed to be sold in the USA at the time it was new. That logic may apply to older import vehicles that were not originally sold in the USA for the same specific reasons, but I don't see how it could apply to any vehicle that was originally legally offered for sale in the USA when it was new. Fed vehicle laws always apply to the laws that were on the books when the vehicle was new, those laws do not required old vehicles to be brought up to modern standards.

The law in question is a new law. That would mean that if enough people called their representatives in Maine, that law could be over turned, or the 1st person that had the resolve to take it to court, could get the law overturned.

I suspect that somewhere along the way, a law maker's family member got killed by (or in) one of these vehicles in an accident that was caused by a safety feature that was a standard requirement for the time period it was new, that was not on that vehicle. Hence the very specific nature of this particular law and this very specific vehicle. The lawmaker's family member got killed in one of these things, so he made it a point to be sure he got them off of the roads.

Just because the Fed determined a vehicle over 25 years old can now be imported when it originally could not be sold here, doesn't mean the States need to comply with the Fed. I believe we are about to see a lot of states refusing to comply with the wishes of the fed gov on many issues coming in the near future. The individual States have the right to determine many things that are legal or not in its state. Gene

Re: Maine being sneaky deregistering imported Mitsubishi Delicas [Re: poorboy] #2941985
07/11/21 10:15 AM
07/11/21 10:15 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Online content
master
Sniper  Online Content
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by poorboy
Fed vehicle laws always apply to the laws that were on the books when the vehicle was new, those laws do not required old vehicles to be brought up to modern standards.

For now anyway. Feds can always amend the law to apply retroactively, for the children/environment/collective safety or whatever they think they can use to do it. To be honest, those of us into old cars are a small number and the majority of people probably already think those stinky old cars should be off the road anyway.

Re: Maine being sneaky deregistering imported Mitsubishi Delicas [Re: 1972CudaV21] #2942238
07/12/21 06:53 AM
07/12/21 06:53 AM
Greenville, PA
redraptor Offline
master
redraptor  Offline
master

Greenville, PA
Originally Posted by 1972CudaV21

And where are they imported from? Canada?
How do other border states handle/register cars brought into the country?
Would a Mexican Beetle qualify as the original was sold here new?
How bout a Toyota Hilux?
So many questions, I suppose if I owned one I'd be hammering on some state rep. rant

Re: Maine being sneaky deregistering imported Mitsubishi Delicas [Re: redraptor] #2942439
07/12/21 08:47 PM
07/12/21 08:47 PM
Central Michigan
N
nuthinbutmopar Online content
super stock
nuthinbutmopar  Online Content
super stock
N

Central Michigan
Originally Posted by redraptor
Originally Posted by 1972CudaV21

And where are they imported from? Canada?
How do other border states handle/register cars brought into the country?
Would a Mexican Beetle qualify as the original was sold here new?
How bout a Toyota Hilux?
So many questions, I suppose if I owned one I'd be hammering on some state rep. rant

Mexican Ramcharger (Gen 2) sound familiar? I've always believed the 25 year rule was put in place: 1. For regular enthusiasts to get access to stuff that wasn't sold here new. 2. To give a LEGAL means to import vehicles to prevent the old "Gray Market" imports. I really believe that when the state gets sued and has to show why think this SPECIFIC model is so significantly different that it needs to be singled out, they'll lose.