06/22/21 08:01 PM
06/22/21 08:01 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
My glass guy wanted me to park my truck out in the sun for several days, says it helps the seals set.
He is coming by next week to install the windshield in my son's 87 Ramcharger. While he is here, he wants to run water over all the glass in my truck to be sure its sealed. Pretty hard to beat his attitude! Gene

Re: Wiper linkage grommets replacement [Re: poorboy] #2935791
06/22/21 08:05 PM
06/22/21 08:05 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline OP
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by poorboy
My glass guy wanted me to park my truck out in the sun for several days, says it helps the seals set.
He is coming by next week to install the windshield in my son's 87 Ramcharger. While he is here, he wants to run water over all the glass in my truck to be sure its sealed. Pretty hard to beat his attitude! Gene
Yeah that's pride in work! As far as the Sun drying it I'm not sure about mine because the butyl isn't supposed to actually dry so all I've done since he left is press the windshield from outside against the truck a few more times to hope it seats it as best as possible. I would've soaked it with hose while glass guys were at my house but I didn't even bother because even if it leaked I don't want them messing with it again.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Wiper linkage grommets replacement [Re: larrymopar360] #2935805
06/22/21 08:49 PM
06/22/21 08:49 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Sitting it in the sun has nothing to do with drying the material. Its about the sun warming the rubber so it will lay and settle into position. Also, though the butyl doesn't dry, it does become a lot less liquid like and sort of grabs onto the glass and the metal better after its a few months old.

My wife's PT got a cracked windshield (it was bonded in, no gasket), we had it replaced, but the installer cracked the new glass upon the installation (he was working alone), it had to set up for 3 weeks before they (2 guys the second time) could replace it because the butyl would have been too messed up to remove it. Even after 3 weeks, it was still pretty messy. The new windshield has been in the PT for 14 years, no leaks yet.

The glass has been in my truck for 4 or 5 months now and about the last month, its sat outside all the time, he wasn't going to water test it right after he installed it, he wanted it out in the sun for a while.

Re: Wiper linkage grommets replacement [Re: larrymopar360] #2935907
06/23/21 07:37 AM
06/23/21 07:37 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
This picture isn't very good for showing things because I took it for windshield gasket but you can see how small openings are to maneuver back in assembled linkages.

We only said it fits and it works, nobody said it just slips together. One fun part is cork screwing the assembly in there only to have it end up upside down and yes, the cowl is a bit shallow to roll it over without "encouragement". Just be happy it isn't a car with hide away wipers where you have to work around the hood and hinges.

Re: Wiper linkage grommets replacement [Re: ] #2935985
06/23/21 11:55 AM
06/23/21 11:55 AM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
yes it will all fish thru those small holes. if you want to wait till I bring your BB stuff over to save you some on shipping I can give you a hand with it. we are coming over to Vero Beach for the day, we always ride up to Melbourne beach as well and I was going to catch up with you while I am over on that side of state.

Re: Wiper linkage grommets replacement [Re: scratchnfotraction] #2936082
06/23/21 04:39 PM
06/23/21 04:39 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by scratchnfotraction
yes it will all fish thru those small holes. if you want to wait till I bring your BB stuff over to save you some on shipping I can give you a hand with it. we are coming over to Vero Beach for the day, we always ride up to Melbourne beach as well and I was going to catch up with you while I am over on that side of state.
Good news X2 up

Re: Wiper linkage grommets replacement [Re: poorboy] #2936084
06/23/21 04:42 PM
06/23/21 04:42 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by poorboy
Sitting it in the sun has nothing to do with drying the material. Its about the sun warming the rubber so it will lay and settle into position. Also, though the butyl doesn't dry, it does become a lot less liquid like and sort of grabs onto the glass and the metal better after its a few months old.

My wife's PT got a cracked windshield (it was bonded in, no gasket), we had it replaced, but the installer cracked the new glass upon the installation (he was working alone), it had to set up for 3 weeks before they (2 guys the second time) could replace it because the butyl would have been too messed up to remove it. Even after 3 weeks, it was still pretty messy. The new windshield has been in the PT for 14 years, no leaks yet.

The glass has been in my truck for 4 or 5 months now and about the last month, its sat outside all the time, he wasn't going to water test it right after he installed it, he wanted it out in the sun for a while.
Ahhh, got it. It will get some Sun time and then a rainy day. For now I have hope not knowing if it's sealed up or not.

Re: Wiper linkage grommets replacement [Re: ] #2936088
06/23/21 04:45 PM
06/23/21 04:45 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by RWG75
Originally Posted by larrymopar360
This picture isn't very good for showing things because I took it for windshield gasket but you can see how small openings are to maneuver back in assembled linkages.

We only said it fits and it works, nobody said it just slips together. One fun part is cork screwing the assembly in there only to have it end up upside down and yes, the cowl is a bit shallow to roll it over without "encouragement". Just be happy it isn't a car with hide away wipers where you have to work around the hood and hinges.
Haha I can definitely picture the upside down part. Okay I will stop arguing and believe you guys now....

Page 2 of 2 1 2