Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content OP
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I seem to remember a recent post on recommended anti virus programs but couldn't find it. I'd like to find one with malware protection included. I have been using AVG forever but they keep getting more complex, more money grubbing and the latest subscription screwed up my printer sharing. Spent over two hours with them trying to straighten it out and the tech person suggests it's a printer problem and to contact them. SORRY but two different printers by two different companies ? And as soon as I uninstall AVG All is good again
So what are your recommendation's and TIA

beer

Re: Anti virus programs ? [Re: TJP] #2920942
05/10/21 09:22 PM
05/10/21 09:22 PM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
We've been using Sophos at work and home for over 20 years. It's reasonably priced, offers multiple devices, up to 5 I think, online computer management, ransomware protection and more. Their primary focus is business so it's pretty danged robust.

https://home.sophos.com/en-us.aspx

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: Anti virus programs ? [Re: 3hundred] #2921000
05/10/21 11:09 PM
05/10/21 11:09 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Assuming Windows? Windows Defender is built in...just turn it on and uninstall your existing program. I work at a a place that has literally thousands of PCs all running the commercial version of it and it works fine. Have it on the wife's Win 10 laptop without issue. You can add Malware Bytes if needed and use Adblock plus on your browser to help avoid issues in the 1st place.

https://www.google.com/search?q=win...57j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Or....install Linux and never deal with crummy anti-virus programs again. That's what I did on this laptop years ago.....never looked back. Don't miss Windows one bit!!!

Last edited by Dcuda69; 05/10/21 11:11 PM.
Re: Anti virus programs ? [Re: Dcuda69] #2921075
05/11/21 09:30 AM
05/11/21 09:30 AM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Assuming Windows? Windows Defender is built in...just turn it on and uninstall your existing program. I work at a a place that has literally thousands of PCs all running the commercial version of it and it works fine. Have it on the wife's Win 10 laptop without issue. You can add Malware Bytes if needed and use Adblock plus on your browser to help avoid issues in the 1st place.

Or....install Linux and never deal with crummy anti-virus programs again. That's what I did on this laptop years ago.....never looked back. Don't miss Windows one bit!!!

I'll second this. The built in Windows AV is great and there is no need for third-party AV solutions any longer. What is absolutely imperative though is securing your web browser. Google Chrome with an adblocker like uBlock Origin does this and does it well. Only other thing I would think to do is disable push notifications in Chrome too.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: Anti virus programs ? [Re: MarkZ] #2921494
05/12/21 08:00 AM
05/12/21 08:00 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content OP
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by MarkZ

I'll second this. The built in Windows AV is great and there is no need for third-party AV solutions any longer. What is absolutely imperative though is securing your web browser. Google Chrome with an adblocker like uBlock Origin does this and does it well. Only other thing I would think to do is disable push notifications in Chrome too.

I guess I'm a bit cautious of Microsoft doing anything well LOL. But I did ask for your advice and I'm getting it beer
A couple of maybe silly questions:
I use mainly Opera and Firefox on desktops and 1 laptop. No cell at this time.
1. Is a malware program still needed ?
2. The following is a bit confusing for me. (hey I know carburetors OK LOL)
"What is absolutely imperative though is securing your web browser"
I am running Adblock plus, Does U block origin differ from it ??

4. What are "PUSH notifications" BTW I am only using 2 desk tops and a laptop at this time.
3. Linux is greek to me frown

I will likely be looking for input on cell plans soon but don't have the time right now to pursue that. Did I mention 0+ years of self-employment and employee's pull a PERFECT VACUUM ? (theoretically as impossible as good empoyees) smile
The employees are DONE AND GONE,I have 3 cars to finish up and then it will be put the brakes on time. Might even be able to hit a few shows WOW!!!
Thanks for you help and advice so far beer

Re: Anti virus programs ? [Re: TJP] #2921533
05/12/21 09:47 AM
05/12/21 09:47 AM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by MarkZ

I guess I'm a bit cautious of Microsoft doing anything well LOL. But I did ask for your advice and I'm getting it beer
A couple of maybe silly questions:
I use mainly Opera and Firefox on desktops and 1 laptop. No cell at this time.
1. Is a malware program still needed ?
2. The following is a bit confusing for me. (hey I know carburetors OK LOL)
"What is absolutely imperative though is securing your web browser"
I am running Adblock plus, Does U block origin differ from it ??

4. What are "PUSH notifications" BTW I am only using 2 desk tops and a laptop at this time.
3. Linux is greek to me frown

I will likely be looking for input on cell plans soon but don't have the time right now to pursue that. Did I mention 0+ years of self-employment and employee's pull a PERFECT VACUUM ? (theoretically as impossible as good empoyees) smile
The employees are DONE AND GONE,I have 3 cars to finish up and then it will be put the brakes on time. Might even be able to hit a few shows WOW!!!
Thanks for you help and advice so far beer

Securing the browser is basically running an adblocker. Online advertising is a scummy industry and is where a lot of the trash you're trying to keep off of your computer comes from. Fake advertisements trying to fool you into clicking on them by blending in with the website, install trash plugins, etc. Advertisements are delivered via third-party and not the site you're actually visiting, so they can't vet what is being splashed on their page. I've personally seen an embedded ad on the LA Times website attempt to hijack a browser. At this point it's just better to block all ads and be done with it.

Adblock Plus used to be the defacto standard for blockers until the developer sold out and started letting advertisers pay him to allow their ads through the blocker. uBlock Origin took over as the new standard after that.

You can use Firefox too - it's a good browser. I haven't used Opera in years and I believe some Chinese tech firm ended up buying it.

Push notifications are when websites can send you messages without actually having to be visiting the site at the time. They're useful for Gmail telling you have new messages and whatnot, but that is about it. Way too easy to be abused. Chome will occasionally ask, "Do you want to receive notifications from this website?" That is a push notification request. If you say yes then notifications will be dumped right into the notification center in Windows (lower righthand side of screen). Seen too many malicious actors use this and you end up getting fake virus alerts and crap dumped right in Windows. Just best to turn the entire feature off.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: Anti virus programs ? [Re: MarkZ] #2921588
05/12/21 11:29 AM
05/12/21 11:29 AM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Webroot.

Re: Anti virus programs ? [Re: TJP] #2921970
05/13/21 03:47 AM
05/13/21 03:47 AM
Memphis
HemiRick Offline
master
HemiRick  Offline
master

Memphis
2nd vote for Malewarebytes.....great program

Take care,
Rick
68 Coronet R/T 440 & 68 Charger 528 Hemi,and 5 Challengers! 6 cyl, 318, 360, 383, 451
Re: Anti virus programs ? [Re: HemiRick] #2922061
05/13/21 11:16 AM
05/13/21 11:16 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i have used the malwarebytes free edition for years, and have had zero problems.
but i don't visit shady sites. panic
beer

Re: Anti virus programs ? [Re: moparx] #2922619
05/14/21 09:18 PM
05/14/21 09:18 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content OP
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content OP
I Live Here
T