12/20/20 01:05 PM
12/20/20 01:05 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
One of the busiest intersections in Irving is where Beltline Road goes under State Highway 183. It's busy enough to have 3 through lanes in each direction as well as double turning lanes and a clover leaf interchange for highway access. Heading north on Beltline takes you over a highway exit ramp and there's an immediate sharp right turn to go east on 183. At that point Beltline takes a good down angle to pass under the highway.

This morning, a heavy haul truck was following a poorly planned route and tried to make that right hand turn. It's a stretched tractor with three rear axles pulling an articulated trailed with 4 axles on the main body and 5 axles on the extension. A 250,000 lb Cat D11N dozer is along for the ride.
It looks like the driver wasn't given proper information about the turn because he tried to take it from the right lane. The left side of the tractor went over the curb and made it most of the way around the turn before the sloping wet ground gave way. The wheels are buried to the hubs and it looks like the axles are high centered on the curb. The low trailer is resting firmly on the ground with a quarter million pound dozer guaranteeing it's going to stay put. The right side of the trailer is a couple feet from the concrete wall dividing the road from the 25' drop onto the exit ramp below.

There's no flat ground to place a crane to relieve the load. The road slopes down nicely, the single lane exit ramp under the road is too narrow, and the grass on the far side is steeply sloped and far too soft from recent rain.

Someone has an ugly job ahead.

beltline and 183.jpg

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: From the That's Gotta Suck file... [Re: feets] #2862526
12/20/20 01:36 PM
12/20/20 01:36 PM
Rochester, New York
G
GregY Offline
super stock
GregY  Offline
super stock
G

Rochester, New York
I don't know about this circumstance, but I have seen some of those heavy recovery wrecker crews do some amazing things.

Re: From the That's Gotta Suck file... [Re: GregY] #2862587
12/20/20 04:15 PM
12/20/20 04:15 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets
Re: From the That's Gotta Suck file... [Re: 71TA] #2862605
12/20/20 05:05 PM
12/20/20 05:05 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I was just ahead of a Landoll trailer hauling a dragline and the guy took the ramp to fast. The dragline was tied down over the treads but it broke loose and high-sided across three lanes, it was lucky that nobody was stopped at the light they would have been crushed! It took them all day to remove the dragline and there were some serious divets in the asphalt!

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!