12/16/20 03:31 PM
Albany, NY
67SATisfaction Offline OP
The member whose name is actually Art
67SATisfaction  Offline OP

Albany, NY
What a difference it makes!
I'm just so happy I had to share this ..

Wife and I finally decided to drop the money on two new insulated garage doors for our two-bay attached garage.... and Merry Christmas to me - it is AWESOME! thumbs smile
It used to be as cold/hot in there as it was outside - upstate New York in winter can be @I#&$ cold...

The R value is 13, plus one row of insulated glass. Several years ago I re-sheetrocked and installed all new insulation in the ceiling and walls, and it stayed cooler in the summer, but it is now apparent that ALL the heat was lost though the crappy old wood doors with air gaps at all the edges..
I guess if I'd really thought about it, I woulda known, but it just takes a small electric heater to keep it comfortable around 50F... it was 15F outside last night.

I've got a winter project car in there now, so I no longer have to bundle up and dread going to work on it, work on a carpet scrap to stay warm, or keep my tools warm in the house before taking them to the cold garage... nothing sucks the heat out of your hands like ice cold tools and concrete floor..

Total cost for (2) doors (8ft x 7ft Raynor Aspen steel skin) , one new 1/2hp operator, new tracks with nylon rollers, safety sensors, vinyl edge seals, and one remote, plus remove all debris and discard the old doors, tracks, etc.. was $2,455.00.
And I'm happy to make that my Christmas and Birthday present this year.. !!

This picture is what it looked like a coupe years ago - unheated and exposed on three sides, our bedroom above. I insulated the walls, but I still just thought it would be mostly cold no matter what.

May all your garages be warm this winter!

Cheers,
- Art

IMG_6913.JPG
Last edited by 67SATisfaction; 12/16/20 03:39 PM.

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle
Re: New insulated garage doors! WooHoo it's warm!! [Re: 67SATisfaction] #2860856
12/16/20 03:55 PM
12/16/20 03:55 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
My main garage is 32 x 40 .. 12' 5" ceiling .. r-19 walls , r -40 for celling -- It really takes little effort to keep it warm ( or in summer cool , I have ac smile absolutely love it

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: New insulated garage doors! WooHoo it's warm!! [Re: bigdad] #2861157
12/17/20 09:07 AM
12/17/20 09:07 AM
PA
KGorney Offline
top fuel
KGorney  Offline
top fuel

PA
Definitely worth the price, Art!!
Enjoy the warmth!

Re: New insulated garage doors! WooHoo it's warm!! [Re: KGorney] #2861487
12/17/20 08:48 PM
12/17/20 08:48 PM
Oh
P
parksr5 Offline
super stock
parksr5  Offline
super stock
P

Oh
Rub it in. grin

I got my garage addition done 2 years ago. Just spent some coin on getting the sub-panel and some other electrical work done in the garage and house. Need to get the remainder of the electrical work done in the garage, most I will be doing myself. Now, I'm in there a little more and realizing how cold it is and how hard it is to keep comfy.

I went from 24x24 with no ventilation to 24x42 with a ridge vent and full soffit ventilation. The heat exits quick with no ceiling or walls insulated and closed in. Before, it was fairly easy to keep it relatively warm.

In time. Want to pay for everything in cash and do most of the work myself. I have a hard time paying people to do what I'm capable of doing.

Re: New insulated garage doors! WooHoo it's warm!! [Re: parksr5] #2861968
12/18/20 10:03 PM
12/18/20 10:03 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
A couple months ago, the springs broke on one of my garage doors on my attached garage. springs on the other side (which we almost never use) have been broke for a couple years now. but like I said we dont use that side anyways,
I went to menards, and tried to guess what weight of springs to buy. I got a pair of 120# springs, were too heavy. I had to vise grip the door to keep it from going up by itself. both 9X7. Cheap a$$ uninsulated Wayne Dalton doors that were here at least since I moved here in 98.
I bought a few sheets of foam insulating board and several tubes of Liquid Nails probably around '00-01ish and insulated those doors.
I have been having problems with those doors for years, mainly the lower-most roller coming out of the track just as it rounded the curve. I've bent (and bent back) the rails around the curve with Channellocks, too many times to remember/ in getting the door back on track.
While I was replacing those springs, I finally really looked at the tracks and the whole door system, and realized just how crappy they really were. so I went back to Menards and ordered 2 new doors. these are insulated to "12.9".

Menards pizzed me off in that I ordered them mid Sept, they told me theyd be here Oct 12, and they would CALL ME when they came in. we were to be camping while the doors were expected to arrive. I went in a couple days before the anticipated arrival date to check on them and I got a "deer in the headlights" stare when I went to ask if they were coming on time.
So we got back on the 14th, I went in the 15th. No doors. No idea when Id have them. Nothing special, just 2, 9x7s in brown, no windows.
I went back around the 25th with a head of steam ready to go off on somebody because when I ordered them they gave me an ultimatum about having so many days to come and get them once they did arrive. or they would be returned and I'd be out 30%. "Restock fee" BS... well they were there. and NO PHONE CALL to tell me so as they had promised...... I aint a mind reader, how am I supposed to know they are in without a phone call?
I was gonna order some interior doors like a month later and they asked me if I wanted an Email or text to let me know they were in. I said PHONE CALL like they were supposed to have done for me (they offered!) on the garage doors, and they said "no can do, text or Email" which pissed me off again. so I left the order for the interior doors in the trash, on the way to the registers. I will go elsewhere for the interior doors,
also I thought most places wouldnt charge your card til you actually picked your stuff up. Nope it showed on my bill right away, I had to pay interest while I was waiting for them to get their heads out of their collective a$$es and wait for me to make another special trip up there, to see if my stuff had come in. I had ordered these doors around Sept 12, finally got them Oct 25, Ridiculous length of time to have had to wait for something that was a standard sized door with no frills,
so I got them, and they are up. I need new openers for them but I gotta pay my bill with them down 1st, whether I get the openers from them or not. (Im not wanting to give them the satisfaction of another decent sized orders for a while if they are gonna be so "I don't give a $#!t" when I am needing home improvement stuff....... ) Menards (at least the Bradley IL location for sure) needs to go back for retraining in how they are supposed to handle customer service.......
I paid $13-hundred and some for my new doors, and its like they can wipe their azzaz with my money...... all told around the time I bought them doors, I spent another $1500 besides at that store, besides...... "not just a measly box of screws"/
and then a week after I got them they were on sale over $100 a door off reg price and when I went in to ask about refunding me the difference I was basically told to go pound sand.

but teh doors are up, and havent had a chance to really tell much if any improvement out there yet as it was still kinda warm outside when I got them hung, and I have been down with Pneumonia since it kinda stared getting cold and while I ended up with that (no Covid for me) my wife ended up with Covid. Watching her and her issues from Covid, and knowing what I went thru with walking Pneumonia, Id have rather have had the Covid. Now getting over it, and have a pile of baseboard trim sitting out in said garage to measure, cut, and stain so I'll know what improvements the new doors make here real soon.....

I did discover 7-8 years ago that the 2-1/2 walls that don't butt up to a house wall (exposed to outside) and teh ceiling (attic floor) was totally uninsulated. back then I fixed that, with as much insulation as I could jam in there, and covered the inside walls and ceiling of the garage with OSB
so now with the new overhead doors and all new garage door jambs along with the new doors, it had better make a noticeable difference out there. It IS quieter out there, with doors shut, than it was with the old doors.

Re: New insulated garage doors! WooHoo it's warm!! [Re: volaredon] #2861997
12/18/20 11:47 PM
12/18/20 11:47 PM
Albany, NY

Albany, NY
Originally Posted by volaredon
A couple months ago, the springs broke on one of my garage doors on my attached garage. springs on the other side...
...Menards pizzed me off in that I ordered them mid Sept, they told me theyd be here Oct 12...

...but teh doors are up, and havent had a chance to really tell much if any improvement out there yet as it was still kinda warm outside when I got them hung, and I have been down with Pneumonia since it kinda stared getting cold and while I ended up with that (no Covid for me) my wife ended up with Covid. Watching her and her issues from Covid, and knowing what I went thru with walking Pneumonia, Id have rather have had the Covid. Now getting over it, and have a pile of baseboard trim sitting out in said garage to measure, cut, and stain so I'll know what improvements the new doors make here real soon.....

... it had better make a noticeable difference out there. It IS quieter out there, with doors shut, than it was with the old doors.

Man, after all that...
... if anyone deserves a warm garage this winter it's you! bow
- Art

Re: New insulated garage doors! WooHoo it's warm!! [Re: 67SATisfaction] #2862085
12/19/20 11:09 AM
12/19/20 11:09 AM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
We've been rockin a heated and air conditioned garage since the 80s. It makes me and 3 cars... OK 2 cars and a lot of other stuff happy punkrocka

Last edited by 5thAve; 12/19/20 11:09 AM.
Re: New insulated garage doors! WooHoo it's warm!! [Re: 67SATisfaction] #2862093
12/19/20 11:37 AM
12/19/20 11:37 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Congrats! Must agree....Having a heated and insulated shop has been one of the best things I ever did.

I went hydronic/floor heat, and my insulation is different than most...."Mooney Wall" named after Tim Mooney.
https://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/MooneyWall/MooneyWall.htm

To someone who grew up rebuilding front ends in the rain, pulling engines during snowfalls and so on, it's
pretty surreal to lay on the floor in the dead of Michigan winter and not feel the least bit of cold.

I only wish I was able to build it/have it 30 years ago. But you start wherever it is you start!

Hope you have many happy hours of wrenching in there.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: New insulated garage doors! WooHoo it's warm!! [Re: 67SATisfaction] #2862112
12/19/20 12:36 PM
12/19/20 12:36 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Online content
master
TC@HP2  Online Content
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Been meaning to insulate my garage doors but haven't got around to it yet. I can certainly feel the heat or cold coming off them throughout the year. Rest of the garage is all R12 with a wood burning stove, so I can get it very comfortable in the winter, except for the cold coming off the door....

Re: New insulated garage doors! WooHoo it's warm!! [Re: TC@HP2] #2862175
12/19/20 03:15 PM
12/19/20 03:15 PM
Albany, NY

Albany, NY
Outside temp this morning was 0F, garage was 50F.
Glad to hear of others who are able to find ways of getting heat into their garages... it can be absolutely miserable without it. When I restored the '65 in the cold, I heated it by tenting the underside of the car by taping a plastic "skirt" all around the car, placed carpet scraps on the concrete floor and blew a fan heater in underneath it.Then I spent the winter scraping old undercoating, priming and spraying new paint and applying new undercoating... with a headlamp and respirator the whole time. THAT was fun.

Originally Posted by TC@HP2
Been meaning to insulate my garage doors but haven't got around to it yet. I can certainly feel the heat or cold coming off them throughout the year. Rest of the garage is all R12 with a wood burning stove, so I can get it very comfortable in the winter, except for the cold coming off the door....

Yeah, our house was built in the 50's. When I resheetrocked, the stuff that was in the walls was more like asphalt board, probably R-5.. LOL. The ceiling insulation had collapsed to an inch of glass batt. So I made sure I fluffed some good insulation in everywhere. R-19 ceilings and I stripped the R-19 down to what would fit in the wall framing (true 2" x 4" spruce balloon framing) without crushing the insulation. But it was really startling how little difference it made ..until now. I mean, now it's obvious those old garage doors were a @^%#$ curse!!

Going forward I'm saving up to build an addition connected to the house, off to the right of the garage. It'll replace the shed, and it'll be a 3 season "family room"... and it will coincidentally be just the right size to fit all our cars... smile devil.. my wife will love to sit there and relax with a fireplace and patio facing the back.
If I pull it off, I plan on doing what ZIGGY is talking about and putting piped heat in the concrete floor.
Cheers,
- Art

8t60MtSKT7GhQPeRYwx6cg.jpg

Re: New insulated garage doors! WooHoo it's warm!! [Re: 67SATisfaction] #2862879
12/21/20 10:45 AM
12/21/20 10:45 AM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by 67SATisfaction
Outside temp this morning was 0F, garage was 50F.
Glad to hear of others who are able to find ways of getting heat into their garages... it can be absolutely miserable without it. When I restored the '65 in the cold, I heated it by tenting the underside of the car by taping a plastic "skirt" all around the car, placed carpet scraps on the concrete floor and blew a fan heater in underneath it.Then I spent the winter scraping old undercoating, priming and spraying new paint and applying new undercoating... with a headlamp and respirator the whole time. THAT was fun.

Originally Posted by TC@HP2

Yeah, our house was built in the 50's. When I resheetrocked, the stuff that was in the walls was more like asphalt board, probably R-5.. LOL. The ceiling insulation had collapsed to an inch of glass batt. So I made sure I fluffed some good insulation in everywhere. R-19 ceilings and I stripped the R-19 down to what would fit in the wall framing (true 2" x 4" spruce balloon framing) without crushing the insulation. But it was really startling how little difference it made ..until now. I mean, now it's obvious those old garage doors were a @^%#$ curse!!

Going forward I'm saving up to build an addition connected to the house, off to the right of the garage. It'll replace the shed, and it'll be a 3 season "family room"... and it will coincidentally be just the right size to fit all our cars... smile devil.. my wife will love to sit there and relax with a fireplace and patio facing the back.
If I pull it off, I plan on doing what ZIGGY is talking about and putting piped heat in the concrete floor.
Cheers,
- Art

Have in-floor in my 40x40 half of the barn. Right now I have it set at 58F. Been slowly working my way down in temp....too warm to actually work out there. Have infloor in my entire house and garage as well. Its the ONLY way I will ever heat a house or garage again. Install is more costly, but comfort makes it all worthwhile

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience