04/09/09 01:04 PM
04/09/09 01:04 PM
Killen, Al
D
dbc105 Offline OP
dbc105  Offline OP
D

Killen, Al
The Satellite I just bought does not have good brakes. Power drums on all 4 corners. First the pedal does not come up as high as I am used to in my '94 Caprice. Looking under the dash the pedal is back against the stop light switch and it doesn't look like it would come back any further. When I press the pedal, it feels like the master cylinder is bottoming out before the brakes are fully applied. I have adjusted the shoes and bleed all 4 corners. I also removed the master cylinder and set the length of the push rod coming out of the booster. The pedal just does not seem to have a lot stroke. A new master cylinder had been installed just before I bought the car. I am thinking it is bad or the wrong one. Do these cars normally have a short pedal stroke in comparison to late model cars? Also, if I replace the master cylinder I would like to install one that would work with the disc conversion. Will this work ok with the drums for now? I would like to get this worked out and start driving the car.

Thanks,
David Clark

Re: '68 Satellite Brake Problems [Re: dbc105] #282500
04/09/09 04:42 PM
04/09/09 04:42 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
the linings need to be up & tight to where as you rotate the wheels by hand(fronts) there is one point where as you spin each wheel by hand you hear a "tick" of contact & the rears w jack under the axle, wheels off the ground, eng idling in gear linings spooned out to where you hear the same"tick" at one point as each wheel is rotating. If good there I'd suspect the booster or its check valve. Are you saying it feels like you run out of pedal travel & not enough braking? & the lining surfaces did not look abnormal as in glazed

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: '68 Satellite Brake Problems [Re: dbc105] #282501
04/09/09 04:58 PM
04/09/09 04:58 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

The Satellite I just bought does not have good brakes. Power drums on all 4 corners. First the pedal does not come up as high as I am used to in my '94 Caprice. Looking under the dash the pedal is back against the stop light switch and it doesn't look like it would come back any further. When I press the pedal, it feels like the master cylinder is bottoming out before the brakes are fully applied. I have adjusted the shoes and bleed all 4 corners. I also removed the master cylinder and set the length of the push rod coming out of the booster. The pedal just does not seem to have a lot stroke. A new master cylinder had been installed just before I bought the car. I am thinking it is bad or the wrong one. Do these cars normally have a short pedal stroke in comparison to late model cars? Also, if I replace the master cylinder I would like to install one that would work with the disc conversion. Will this work ok with the drums for now? I would like to get this worked out and start driving the car.

Thanks,
David Clark

4 wheel drums are not going to even remotely feel like your 94 model car .

When was the last time you drove something this old ?

There are adjustments you can make but it's never going to brake like a car with 4 wheel disc brakes

Re: '68 Satellite Brake Problems [Re: JohnRR] #282502
04/09/09 10:24 PM
04/09/09 10:24 PM
Killen, Al
D
dbc105 Offline OP
dbc105  Offline OP
D

Killen, Al
What I was meaning about the difference between the brakes on the cars is mostly the pedal hight and travel not the feel. The pedal does not seem to be as high off the floor as it should. Looking under the dash it comes back to the brake light switch but that still leaves the pedal only about 3 inches off the floor. When pressed, it feels like maybe the master cylinder is bottoming out. Since I just bought the car I am not sure what it should be like. Parts may have been changed and mismatched. A good start would be the measurement from the floor to the back of the pedal from a known good car with power brakes. And also the amount of pedal travel as it feels like it bottoms out the master cylinder with very little pedal travel. This would give me some idea of where to look first. The booster seems to be working correctly as far as power assist goes. Something could be wrong causing the travel to be short.

DC

Re: '68 Satellite Brake Problems [Re: dbc105] #282503
04/09/09 11:01 PM
04/09/09 11:01 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
If i understand correctly what you mean by the master cylinder bottoming out, that would be full pedal travel. Maybe youve got a short pedal rod. What happens when you lock them up? Are the drums maybe very worn and need to be replaced? How much pad are on the shoes? A friend of mine bought a road runner that had very poor braking, it was a restored car. He thought he had serious problems and the pedal went to the floor and the car would hardly stop. Turned out the drums were paper thin. Even if the adjustment is all the way out on the drum, if the drum is worn too big only so much of the shoe will make contact with the inside of the drum.

If you push the pedal all the way down do the wheels lock up?

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: '68 Satellite Brake Problems [Re: dbc105] #282504
04/09/09 11:18 PM
04/09/09 11:18 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Pedal low at rest is the way it was designed, to make it easier for "one foot" drivers to quickly get on the brakes.

But power duo-servo drums are nortoriously lousy. They are almost impossible to accurately modulate and threshhold brake. Either wheels locked or 0.3G stop!

Rick

Re: '68 Satellite Brake Problems [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #282505
04/10/09 08:34 AM
04/10/09 08:34 AM
Killen, Al
D
dbc105 Offline OP
dbc105  Offline OP
D

Killen, Al
Well I'm glad to find out about the low pedal. That means the linkage should be ok. I know if sure has a short pedal stroke. I had a '68 Road Runner when I was growing up but it has been so long I could not remember the pedal height plus it didn't have power brakes.

I can't lock the brakes up, I run out of pedal stroke first. I have not pulled the drums off to check them, since I had adjusted the shoes up I didn't consider that the shoe may not be making a full contact with the drum. I will check that out this weekend to see what I find and post it here. Do you have any thickness or diameter measurement or guideline to go by on the drum?

I plan to convert it to disc but I have a '84 Mustang SVO project going that I need to finish first but I would still like to be driving the car around till then.

DC

Re: '68 Satellite Brake Problems [Re: dbc105] #282506
04/10/09 09:11 AM
04/10/09 09:11 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I know if sure has a short pedal stroke.
I can't lock the brakes up, I run out of pedal stroke first.Do you have any thickness or diameter measurement or guideline to go by on the drum? DC

I'd suggest doing the adj procedure because if your clearance is too much(& that's hard to tell sometimes thats why the "tick" procedure) you will have a low pedal reserve(when applied the pedal is too close to floor) & your symptom of not enough braking. drums have a limit of I think .060 or .090 over the diameter(10" for instance) but you cant realy check that right at home, between the lip & needing the special brake inside mike you need is to take them in to your shop(with a competent user)& have them check them(takes several minutes) but the drums are not causing your problem

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: '68 Satellite Brake Problems [Re: RapidRobert] #282507
04/10/09 02:43 PM
04/10/09 02:43 PM
Chicago Burbs
sthemi Offline
master
sthemi  Offline
master

Chicago Burbs
I have a 68 Charger, and yes the pedal is much lower than anything made in the last 3 decades..
The travel is also much less.
GM cars were designed much differently even back when these were new..
And I have the 11x3 brakes and they are more like speed scrubbers...compared to the Gm disc stuff from the 80s...
One other problem area can be the parking brake, if it rusted it will hold the rear shoes open and you will not be able to properly adjust the rears and your pedal will have too much free play with no braking action.

Re: '68 Satellite Brake Problems [Re: sthemi] #282508
04/10/09 07:18 PM
04/10/09 07:18 PM
Killen, Al
D
dbc105 Offline OP
dbc105  Offline OP
D

Killen, Al
I am going to try the adjusting like Robert describes and I am also thinking about a different master cylinder. I have not measured the one I have but it may not have a 1" bore. if it does I am thinking I can got to a '71/'72 model m/c with a 1 1/32" bore and get a little more travel at the wheel with the same pedal input and since they are power I don't think it will be a problem. do you think this m/c would work with disc when I get ready to upgrade?

DC