07/19/20 02:13 PM
BRIDGEWATER
T
Tr jimi Offline OP
Tr jimi  Offline OP
T

BRIDGEWATER
HI ALL,
I have a 727 small block trans 1978 vintage . Would like to know if changing to an earlier solid pin front servo would help with light throttle 2/3 shift overlap problem, trans shifts nice at part throttle though.
Already have the passage restrictor in place and slackened the throttle pressure linkage a little (Afraid too go more)
Have in stock an old mopar performance kit that supplies the servo cover, solid piston and the long thin spring.
Should I source a second wider diameter spring or just use the kits single spring by itself?
The front band is a raybestos red flex set at 13/4 turns out also have tried another valve body same thing then pulled trans went with 12 springs in HY gear drum set up by a pro. got slightly better but has light overlap bang at small throttle openings .
Thanks Jim

I

Re: 727 tf Front Servo [Re: Tr jimi] #2798633
07/19/20 03:42 PM
07/19/20 03:42 PM
Portsmouth, VA
D
DusterW2 Offline
top fuel
DusterW2  Offline
top fuel
D

Portsmouth, VA
I would use the early servo with two springs or the later controlled load servo
Shimmed solid and A&A trans makes a HD single spring for the later servo. They call it
The RED spring. You did not mention what kick down band servo apply lever ratio
You have installed. I would use a 3.8 or 4.2

Sometimes it is difficult to get a clean shift at light, moderate and wide open
Throttle. Sometimes you have decide which throttle position
You want the cleanest shift and adjust at that level.

Re: 727 tf Front Servo [Re: DusterW2] #2798660
07/19/20 05:58 PM
07/19/20 05:58 PM
BRIDGEWATER
T
Tr jimi Offline OP
Tr jimi  Offline OP
T

BRIDGEWATER
Thanks Duster,
I have an odd ball 3.2 ratio think it came from a 904.
I do believe you about choosing what rpm you tailor your shifts for .I'm not sure but I think that Torqueflites are difficult because there is two different cc's of fluid needs to be added and filled because its a band applied 2nd gear ? maybe .
Decided to look into the band not disengaging fast enough because every once in a while after a light throttle shift into 3rd gear I would feel a slight flutter in the body of the car until it downshifted then back to 3rd again it will be fine , possible 2nd gear band not fully retracted and slightly dragging on the drum ? has anyone experienced this ?
Thanks again Jim