04/11/20 11:55 AM
04/11/20 11:55 AM
USA
K
Kippy Offline OP
Kippy  Offline OP
K

USA
I have a firecore distributor on my 383 with the orange ignition control box. The first time I installed this the engine would hardly run and the car was un drivable. I sent everything back and was told nothing was wrong with the unit. I explained the problem and told them I reinstalled my original distributor with a petronix unit and the car ran good. I told them send me a new box which they did and they charged me for it.
Al that time I cannot get the car to idle decent, the engine shakes and surges. Off idle it runs ok, no hesitation. The engine is rebuilt by a competent shop. Then cam specs are similar to a RR cam, it has a Weiand manifold and 1406 Edlebrook carb.
Ive tried everything and all to no avail.
Yesterday I pulled the distributor and tried my old one. The car ran great, idle was great. Just sounded like it should.
I suspect that box and after talking to a good mechanic he suggested using a stock box.
So my question is what stock ignition control box do you guys recommend. Im hesitant to order anything because I know how much imported junk is out there.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Stay safe Happy Easter and passover

Re: BOX [Re: Kippy] #2762785
04/11/20 05:49 PM
04/11/20 05:49 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
You've identified the problem as being in the Firecore distributor, correct up
I have used many Mopar orange ECU with no issues like your having with your car and that distributor shruggy
It ain't the box work twocents
Contact Firecore and have them fix or replace that distributor scope
BTW, I've never seen or used a Firecore distributor, is yours a Hall effect or magnetic pick up type?

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: BOX [Re: Cab_Burge] #2762847
04/11/20 08:30 PM
04/11/20 08:30 PM
USA
K
Kippy Offline OP
Kippy  Offline OP
K

USA
I don't know if its a Hall effect or mag pick up, but I will find out. The distributor was installed by the rebuilder, when I put the engine back in and hooked everything up the engine ran terrible.
I bought the distributor from Mancini and I sent everything back to them. They in turn sent it to Firecore, I was told there was nothing wrong with the distributor and at that point I said the car barley runs with it and when I installed the old distributor with a Petronix it runs fine. Of course they didn't know what to say and I told them send me a new Orange box. With the new box it ran better and was drivable but didn't idle that good. Off idle was better.......Ive been down this road with theses tech guys from aftermarket part vendors and with some exceptions im less than impressed.
The only viable thing I see I can do is replace the box with a stock one and see how it runs at that point. Thanks for your reply

Re: BOX [Re: Kippy] #2762882
04/11/20 10:26 PM
04/11/20 10:26 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
So I'm confused here, you changed the distributor and the car runs fine with the stock unit but you still think there is something wrong with the orange box? It sounds like you may have a connection problem to me . how are you swapping these two distributors out because they have different connectors. Your base timing is the same with both units right? The Firecore distributor has a mag pickup just like a factory unit depending on which one you have. You don't have a ready to run distributor do you because they have 3 wires and the mag pickup unit has only 2 wires purple and green like an MSD.

Gus beer

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: BOX [Re: fourgearsavoy] #2762901
04/12/20 12:08 AM
04/12/20 12:08 AM
USA
K
Kippy Offline OP
Kippy  Offline OP
K

USA
No, once again. The car has a fire core distributor with orange box. It runs poorly at idle. Ive done everything and tried everything. I swap'd the old distributor in. It has a Petromix unit in place of the points. Its a two wire setup. I eliminated the orange box and wiring. The car runs much better, idles very good starts faster. The last time I sent it back to Mancini who. sent it to Firecore,
They had it for months before they sent it back said nothing is wrong with the distributor. I told them great than its the box and send me a new one. I aint arguing with these people. I get the direct impression they think your a dummy who knows nothing about autos. I said send me a new box and I paid for it.
I bought this Firecore distributor in 2018 even though I hardly used the car since then. The money spent is lost. I just want to try and salvage the Firecore ignition. I have to assume Firecore checked out the distributor and its ok. If a replacement box solves the issue, great. Either way there is a problem with the Firecore setup and I have checked the box for a good ground.
All im asking is who sells a good quality stock replacement box.
To be honest this is my first hobby car since the late sixties and early seventies and im shocked at the crap being sold today. I did a front disc conversion and I had nothing but issues. I finally hooked up with Dr Differential and he got me taken care of. The main problem was not enough pressure at the calipers so of course the car didn't stop well. Cass said he saw this issue before with this particular kit and he suggested a 15/16 bore master. Problem solved. Now how is it a company sells a product for your exact application and you need to use s different master than what they sent?
The best part is a tech telling me I did something wrong and I need to "bed" the pads in !!! Im on the third water valve on my aftermarket AC system. The first two failed electrically.
Wheel cylinders that leak after a year, tie rod ends from China that are crap... The list goes on and on

Re: BOX [Re: Kippy] #2762944
04/12/20 08:51 AM
04/12/20 08:51 AM
Florida
G
GMP440 Offline
top fuel
GMP440  Offline
top fuel
G

Florida

Any stock box from a parts store should be fine. Plus, if you ever need a replacement they are available anywhere. Replace it with that and don't look back.

Re: BOX [Re: Kippy] #2763039
04/12/20 12:58 PM
04/12/20 12:58 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
The only "orange box"es that were ever worth a damn had a blue anodized aluminum heat sink,
and very prominently stated "MADE IN USA" on the product itself.

The 50 cent cheez whiz looking thing M@nc!ni sells is garbage.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri