W
Wirenut Offline OP
mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
Sorry I couldn’t resist!
Using a B 3 kit on 440-1 s t&d shafts. I need longer studs with the waist. About 3/8 longer. Anybody been down this road. T&d show something on the site that will work for the 4 long but don’t see anything for the 6 short . I,m sure I can figure it out but thought I would fish for a quicker result with someone’s past experience
Thanks Guys

Re: Longer shaft studs (that’s what she said) [Re: Wirenut] #2751986
03/14/20 08:06 PM
03/14/20 08:06 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
The ARP catalog is full of assorted lengths, take a look

Boffin Emeritus
Re: Longer shaft studs (that’s what she said) [Re: polyspheric] #2752094
03/15/20 11:12 AM
03/15/20 11:12 AM
Ct
W
Wirenut Offline OP
mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
I have

Re: Longer shaft studs (that’s what she said) [Re: Wirenut] #2752106
03/15/20 11:46 AM
03/15/20 11:46 AM
Pattison Texas
CSK Offline
master
CSK  Offline
master

Pattison Texas
Originally Posted by Wirenut
Sorry I couldn’t resist!
Using a B 3 kit on 440-1 s t&d shafts. I need longer studs with the waist. About 3/8 longer. Anybody been down this road. T&d show something on the site that will work for the 4 long but don’t see anything for the 6 short . I,m sure I can figure it out but thought I would fish for a quicker result with someone’s past experience
Thanks Guys

Call Mike @ B3

1968 Charger COLD A/C Hilborn EFI
512ci 9.7 compression, Stealth heads, 4.10 gear A518 ODtrans 4100lb,10.93 full street car trim
2020 T/A 392 Stock 11.79 @ 114.5

Re: Longer shaft studs (that’s what she said) [Re: CSK] #2752203
03/15/20 04:09 PM
03/15/20 04:09 PM
St.Pete,Florida
L
lancer493 Offline
enthusiast
lancer493  Offline
enthusiast
L

St.Pete,Florida
Had similar issue w/Victor heads and B3 correction kit. Other users here cautioned me to repair thread depth issues w/Victor heads before assembly and swich to studs.Initially ARP had nothing for me,but a second call to their custom application section put me with a very helpful and skilled tech. After informing me that the 10 studs (custom dimensioned) were hovering around the$800.00 mark.That wasn't happenin'! Putting our heads together,we were able to find,in the "standard length,generic application catagory", some studs that were an acceptable overall length, but not enough length on 3/8" coarse thread going into rocker stud saddle in the cyl. head. I ordered 11 studs for $55.00, one being sacrificial, to make about 3/8" longer thread availability on that end. I was trying to get more thread engagement for the newly drilled and installed extra length helicoils in heads.I used a quality Craftsman die to cut additional thread length. Very slow and cautious process, but it worked. ARP said I wouldn't be able to do it, but I gambled with the extra stud. Cutting these threads produced a sound likely resembling the Titanic hitting the iceberg! Iam sure I have somewhat lessened their strength, but they will undoubtedly out last the aluminum thread/helicoil situation in those rocker stands.Try the custom application dept. at ARP. I am very happy with the results.Their special order line is#(805) 525 1497. Sorry, should have written down tech's name- very helpful employee. Hope they can help you. Bill

Re: Longer shaft studs (that’s what she said) [Re: lancer493] #2752219
03/15/20 04:35 PM
03/15/20 04:35 PM
Ct
W
Wirenut Offline OP
mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
Originally Posted by lancer493
Had similar issue w/Victor heads and B3 correction kit. Other users here cautioned me to repair thread depth issues w/Victor heads before assembly and swich to studs.Initially ARP had nothing for me,but a second call to their custom application section put me with a very helpful and skilled tech. After informing me that the 10 studs (custom dimensioned) were hovering around the$800.00 mark.That wasn't happenin'! Putting our heads together,we were able to find,in the "standard length,generic application catagory", some studs that were an acceptable overall length, but not enough length on 3/8" coarse thread going into rocker stud saddle in the cyl. head. I ordered 11 studs for $55.00, one being sacrificial, to make about 3/8" longer thread availability on that end. I was trying to get more thread engagement for the newly drilled and installed extra length helicoils in heads.I used a quality Craftsman die to cut additional thread length. Very slow and cautious process, but it worked. ARP said I wouldn't be able to do it, but I gambled with the extra stud. Cutting these threads produced a sound likely resembling the Titanic hitting the iceberg! Iam sure I have somewhat lessened their strength, but they will undoubtedly out last the aluminum thread/helicoil situation in those rocker stands.Try the custom application dept. at ARP. I am very happy with the results.Their special order line is#(805) 525 1497. Sorry, should have written down tech's name- very helpful employee. Hope they can help you. Bill

Bill
Thanks.
Are your rockers t&d?
If yes did the studs have the waist for oiling thru the shaft?
Gary

Re: Longer shaft studs (that’s what she said) [Re: Wirenut] #2752339
03/15/20 09:16 PM
03/15/20 09:16 PM
St.Pete,Florida
L
lancer493 Offline
enthusiast
lancer493  Offline
enthusiast
L

St.Pete,Florida
Gary,I am using Hughes rockers and shafts on my Victor heads. These rockers will oil thru the shafts. The shafts have an I.D. of approx. .482". The hold down studs are .370- 375" dia.None of the stud/bolt kits offered for this combo,(ARP,B3,Hughes,or Edelbrock) used or recommended waist bolts.That may be a T&D requirement, due to their rocker design and/or shaft I.D. My roller camshaft has a VERY MILDLY grooved #4 journal for some fulltime rocker oiling.I am using an early Mega Block,new ,never been run with no oil restrictors.Camshaft is from another Moparts user ,who has assured me he has had no valvetrain oiling problems in his previous race car using this slightly grooved cam.But ultimately my engine has not run yet.I am not in any way implying that you don't need waist bolts,but am interested in the two different companies designs and requirements.I have had many conversations with Moparts user, Jeremiah,about shaft mount big block valvetrains.He has a wealth of information,and experience here. A lot of time and money. I hoped he would come in on this. Maybe someone on here or at ARP may have the accurate answer of the consequences of creating a waist in ARP regularly stocked studs. Please let us know what you find.Moparts users ,here, have always been great about sharing ideas and experiences. Good Luck. Bill

Re: Longer shaft studs (that’s what she said) [Re: lancer493] #2752610
03/16/20 06:24 PM
03/16/20 06:24 PM
indy
E
eds dart Offline
enthusiast
eds dart  Offline
enthusiast
E

indy
i have used victor heads with hughes rockers. .660 lift roller, heads had the longer heli coils installed. ran into same issue with stud length not long enough on course thread end, another words not using the extra thread engagement provided by the longer heli coil. I used the studs carried by indy cylinder head. had to convince russ I wasn't a Neanderthal and I knew what I wanted. worked great with no issues.

Re: Longer shaft studs (that’s what she said) [Re: eds dart] #2752918
03/17/20 07:33 PM
03/17/20 07:33 PM
Ct
W
Wirenut Offline OP
mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
Hi Guys
Thanks for the responses.
Got in touch with Mike .
My concern was that the longer studs required for the shim kit would need the “waist” to allow oiling thru the shaft as this is what the t&d studs have . The Td shafts have a Smaller Id than other shafts and require the studs with a waist.
Mike explained that because he modifies the mounting holes of the shaft to accommodate a change in the hole angle with a the kit it allows normal studs to be used and still allows oiling thru the shaft.
So I ordered new studs from ARP . Hope this helps someone in the future