03/15/20 06:51 PM
03/15/20 06:51 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline OP
master
Locomotion  Offline OP
master

Florida
This may be old news, but was curious about the car before the EPA got it.

EPA Superbird

Last edited by Locomotion; 03/15/20 06:58 PM.
Re: EPA Superbird EPA got it. [Re: Locomotion] #2752348
03/15/20 09:37 PM
03/15/20 09:37 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
That video clip reverses decades of understanding of why lead was, AT THAT TIME, removed from gas. And I don't buy it.

The issue at that time to remove lead, that been in gas for 60? years, was cats could not tolerate it.

Everybody knew then lead had a health risk, but seemed to grudgingly accept it.

It has been decades of no lead, that has proven, to me, it was also.a wise health decision.

So the EPA played a part in removing Lead, the Superbird did not, unless there is some evidence of cats for testing on this car, which makes little sense anyway.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: EPA Superbird EPA got it. [Re: jcc] #2752364
03/15/20 10:31 PM
03/15/20 10:31 PM
Columbus, GA
Michael Ecks Offline
pro stock
Michael Ecks  Offline
pro stock

Columbus, GA
Originally Posted by jcc
That video clip reverses decades of understanding of why lead was, AT THAT TIME, removed from gas. And I don't buy it.

The issue at that time to remove lead, that been in gas for 60? years, was cats could not tolerate it.

It has been decades of no lead, that has proven, to me, it was also.a wise health decision.

So the EPA played a part in removing Lead, the Superbird did not, unless there is some evidence of cats for testing on this car, which makes little sense anyway.

As a mopar guy, and a history guy, aaaand an environmental profession guy I found this article and video pretty amazing. Apparently shortly after developing tetraethyl lead (TEL), the inventor had to take months off for lead poisoning treatment. I'd be curious to know more about the health risk vs catalytic converter (for a bit there I thought you were saying felines couldn't tolerate it LOL) concerns. I do know that the TEL industry had a major political lobbying and marketing power. If the car was really was part of the first efforts to test particulate emissions I could easily see that work showing WAY higher actual levels of lead than the TEL industry had told the government and aviation/auto industries would be coming out in exhaust.

"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of
your thoughts" ~ Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius
Re: EPA Superbird EPA got it. [Re: Michael Ecks] #2752374
03/15/20 10:49 PM
03/15/20 10:49 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Michael Ecks
Originally Posted by jcc

As a mopar guy, and a history guy, aaaand an environmental profession guy I found this article and video pretty amazing. Apparently shortly after developing tetraethyl lead (TEL), the inventor had to take months off for lead poisoning treatment. I'd be curious to know more about the health risk vs catalytic converter (for a bit there I thought you were saying felines couldn't tolerate it LOL) concerns. I do know that the TEL industry had a major political lobbying and marketing power. If the car was really was part of the first efforts to test particulate emissions I could easily see that work showing WAY higher actual levels of lead than the TEL industry had told the government and aviation/auto industries would be coming out in exhaust.

I don't dispute much of your comment, TEL is nasty stuff, always has been, but we dealt with it for decades with few complaints. Some what related, there is unproven theory the drop in crime after the removal of auto leaded gas resulted in a drop in crime. The politicians often poo poo that idea because they want credit for thier getting tough on crime positive results. It is a proven fact lead in low levels negatively effects impulse control, an issue with a younger criminal element. I remember one of the TEL industry claims as to why TEL is not a hazard was, its a heavy metal being emitted and lands only of the side of the road. They didn't want to discuss leaching into ground water. Back to the Superbird, I suspect the speaker is likely trying to embellish the cars history for financial gain in a sale.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: EPA Superbird EPA got it. [Re: Locomotion] #2752399
03/16/20 12:04 AM
03/16/20 12:04 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
So the EPA Superbird was used to chase big passenger jets like 707's down the runway during takeoffs and this lead (pun) to the eventual removal of TEL or lead from gasoline? Then I read this and go shruggy

"That’s because fuel, known as avgas, uses the same tetraethyl lead addictive since banned in automobile gas, making it the No. 1 source of lead emissions in America. (The jet fuel used in big passenger planes does not contain lead.) Lead-free alternatives are available for most piston engine aircraft,..."

again shruggy