A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great topic!

Marq, charger, exit, What do you think of Epifanes? 30$ half gallon

Check this test:(Compares Interlux with Epifanes)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wGCgZfuPb1A

Drys slow but doesn't scratch.

thanks

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27379
04/18/07 09:55 AM
04/18/07 09:55 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

anybody know in the states where to get a quart of rustolium clear coat all i got around here is spray bombs and they leave waves in the paint...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27380
04/18/07 11:36 AM
04/18/07 11:36 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Or This One

You want this one (above).

I found Rona had much better selection in terms of colour. Everyone should stock the red, though.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27381
04/18/07 12:53 PM
04/18/07 12:53 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

Or This One

You want this one (above).

I found Rona had much better selection in terms of colour. Everyone should stock the red, though.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #27382
04/18/07 03:52 PM
04/18/07 03:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I had a chat with Jamestown Distributors support.

[Visitor] hi
[Jamestown Distributors] Hello, how may I help you?
[Visitor] I am looking to buy some paint.
[Visitor] have you ever painted a car with interlux?
[Visitor] I see a lot of people online are doing this with good results.
[Jamestown Distributors] I personally have not but i wouldn't want to use a one part marine paint on a car.
[Jamestown Distributors] It would be too thick
[Jamestown Distributors] and its not very durable
[Visitor] they add 5% thinner, would this make a difference?
[Visitor] what about Epifanes?
[Jamestown Distributors] That wouldn't be enough.
[Jamestown Distributors] The same with any one part marine paint wouldn't be nearly as durable, it would chip.
[Jamestown Distributors] The only marine paint that would do it would be the Awlcraft paint by Awlgrip.
[Jamestown Distributors] Its the most closely related to a car paint.
[Visitor] how would rust o leum compare to your interlux paint?
[Jamestown Distributors] There not really comparable, since they are very different application.

Any thoughts???

Thanks

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27383
04/18/07 04:25 PM
04/18/07 04:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I seem to recall previous posts where Rustoleum, Temclad and I believe Brightside technical reps made the same comment. I think it's a legal issue. These companies can't state in writing that their paints were DESIGNED for automotive application without thorough research and proof. They need their own paid scientists and researchers to go through numerous tests first. But since WE'RE doing their tests on our own and for FREE, I bet they're watchingthis site with keen interest.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #27384
04/18/07 08:54 PM
04/18/07 08:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello all I have been following this post for some time now and working every weekend to get my project ready for paint .I plan on doing it the brightside way two tone gray ,one part brightside steel grey the other darker mixed with black {formula TBD}
I have a 1936 chevy 5 window master coupe that was media blasted and PPG primmed a long time ago I intend to rough up the PPG primmer and apply the interlux two part epoxy primmer it will act as a filler and is sandable and I dont expect any bonding problems with the paint afterwords.I know it will cost more but I can say I did it myself.
The coupe totally apart works out to approx 26 separate pieces to be painted most can lay flat on a table .
Should be at it some time in May I will post progress pics.

3447350-IMG_6943.JPG (498 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27385
04/18/07 09:21 PM
04/18/07 09:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

the coupe

3447430-thecoup2.jpg (471 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27386
04/18/07 09:22 PM
04/18/07 09:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

another

3447435-thecoupe.jpg (403 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? #27387
04/18/07 09:50 PM
04/18/07 09:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

how should i go about removing this run?

this is the 2nd layer. the run started on the first layer. i thought i had wetsanded (220g) enough. it felt flat and smooth, but above the run was paint and below it was the orignal surface color.

i have a final 3rd layer i want to add on. will buffing/polishing (2600rpm) remove a run like this, or should i just go ahead and wetsand it now before i lay a final layer?

thanks,

_taF

Re: Paint job on a budget!? #27388
04/18/07 11:29 PM
04/18/07 11:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey guys. Alright, I just did my first coat on a hood I got off my mom's old van. And I have to say, I'm worried. My main problem is the bubbles. When I roll the paint on, I get a huge amount of bubbles on the surface. I tried running the roller lightly over the bubbles, but that just made even more bubbles. I don't know what I am doing wrong. One thing I noticed was that when I thinned the paint in a jar I was using, it was almost the consistency of water. But after pouring it in the tray and then painting for a bit, it seemed to thicken up. It is kinda chilly outside, so maybe the temperature of the paint changed. But I need someone to tell me if that's what it should look like at this point. I think it is going on too thick, but that doesn't explain the stupid bubbles. Blowing on the bubbles worked, but I got lightheaded and it's annoying. Should I be pushing hard on the roller when I paint? And when I look at the hood now, some parts are completly white, whereas others you can still tell there is another colour underneath. I need advice!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? #27389
04/19/07 12:16 AM
04/19/07 12:16 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

how should i go about removing this run?

this is the 2nd layer. the run started on the first layer. i thought i had wetsanded (220g) enough. it felt flat and smooth, but above the run was paint and below it was the orignal surface color.

i have a final 3rd layer i want to add on. will buffing/polishing (2600rpm) remove a run like this, or should i just go ahead and wetsand it now before i lay a final layer?

thanks,

_taF

If you have any runs you will need to sand them flat before you polish.

Last edited by Aussie Driver; 04/19/07 12:31 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? #27390
04/19/07 12:29 AM
04/19/07 12:29 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Hey guys. Alright, I just did my first coat on a hood I got off my mom's old van. And I have to say, I'm worried. My main problem is the bubbles. When I roll the paint on, I get a huge amount of bubbles on the surface. I tried running the roller lightly over the bubbles, but that just made even more bubbles. I don't know what I am doing wrong. One thing I noticed was that when I thinned the paint in a jar I was using, it was almost the consistency of water. But after pouring it in the tray and then painting for a bit, it seemed to thicken up. It is kinda chilly outside, so maybe the temperature of the paint changed. But I need someone to tell me if that's what it should look like at this point. I think it is going on too thick, but that doesn't explain the stupid bubbles. Blowing on the bubbles worked, but I got lightheaded and it's annoying. Should I be pushing hard on the roller when I paint? And when I look at the hood now, some parts are completly white, whereas others you can still tell there is another colour underneath. I need advice!!!

Your paint is thinner than I have ever gone with Brightside but is should be ok with Rustoleum.

When I roll, I use very little pressure on the roller and after I have painted a panel I then go over it again with a clean roller to remove the bubbles. When I use the second (clean) roller I roll it with just the weight of the roller.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27391
04/19/07 12:41 AM
04/19/07 12:41 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dose anyone know how close the tremclad fire red is to the bright side fire red? I want to find tremclad in approximately the same shade as the brightside, but i cant find any pictures of what the tremclad fire red looks like

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27392
04/19/07 02:10 PM
04/19/07 02:10 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Great topic!

Marq, charger, exit, What do you think of Epifanes? 30$ half gallon

Check this test:(Compares Interlux with Epifanes)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wGCgZfuPb1A

Drys slow but doesn't scratch.

thanks

I think that was an excellent video to hunt down. In a way, doing a 'board' is like doing a micro-version of a car.

I think the results they came up with were pretty indecisive. There wasn't a clear outright winner. Each product and a plus and a minus.

Overall, I think the most negative thing might have been the fact that Epiphanes was the slowest at curing - followed by Petit. The Interlux Brightside had the fastest curing time - and for most of our impatient painters, that is probably the biggest selling point that gives it a strong advantage over the other two candidates.

Epiphanes won the scratch test... with Petit in second and Brightside in last place. I was surprised at two things... that Petit didn't win that contest and that Brightside wasn't #2.

But everyone who is considering painting their car can get a quick snipet on just how easy the roller painting is... and how it is commonly used in marine applications other than boats.

Some folks will learn more in the few minutes it takes to watch that video than if they read messages for the same amount of time.

Overall... I am still satisfied with the Brightside paint job. TODAY I drove my car out of the garage ( for the first time since it was put into winter hibernation ). Other than garage dust and some odd things that a mouse may have left on the hood, the car is looking GREAT.

I took it out to get a fresh tank of gas and I was pleasantly flattered by the envious looks being given to the car.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27393
04/19/07 02:20 PM
04/19/07 02:20 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Dose anyone know how close the tremclad fire red is to the bright side fire red? I want to find tremclad in approximately the same shade as the brightside, but i cant find any pictures of what the tremclad fire red looks like

I have used both on my McLaren and they are identical shades/tints of red.

However... just to be safe I will note that even manufacturers cannot guarantee one batch of their paint will be identical to a different batch.

Your wives, girlfriends and mothers who knit can confirm that different 'lots' of knitting wool can have variances in the shade or tint.

So I did like my wife does... when I was buying the Brightside I had the luxury of looking at every Fire Red can on the shelf and taking three cans that were 'numbered' almost identically on the bottom ( their lot number ).

Anyhow back to your original question... if you were to Brightside the body and Tremclad/Rustoleum spray the harder to reach areas, you would not detect a visible difference in their colors. They are that close.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? #27394
04/19/07 08:23 PM
04/19/07 08:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

If you have any runs you will need to sand them flat before you polish.

Just wondering, how long do I have to wait after painting before the paint will be hard enough to sand? I completly screwed up on the hood, and spent 2 hours pouring mineral spirits and scrubbing to get back down to the original colour so I could start again. And about preping, should I have sanded completly to bare metal? Because all i did was scuff the surface with 150 then 400 grit. Thanks.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? #27395
04/19/07 08:49 PM
04/19/07 08:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Flat(ish) paint will be ok to sand after a day or so. Paint with runs in it shouldn't be sanded that quickly as the paint under the surface of the run wouldn't have had time to harden properly.

I didn't bother sanding my car back to bare metal. I just tried to get it flat and remove all of the major imperfections in the paint before I started to paint it. I have painted straight over 240 grit sanding without any problems (but I did sand very carefully).

Re: Paint job on a budget!? #27396
04/19/07 10:28 PM
04/19/07 10:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dammit. All that time wasted scrubbing with spirits when I could've just waited. O well, I will probably just restart my painting on the weekend.

One more question tho. When I am rolling the paint on, should I be able to see differences in the amount of paint after each roll. I mean, when I am rolling on paint, i can see vertical lines all down the surface where I am painting. This is cuz the paint is going on thinner in some places and thicker in others. That was the first coat though, so I'm not sure if it is a problem. Lol, that sounds confusing. Basically...should the first coat be one solid colour, or should you be able to tell that you rolled it on. Thanks

Re: Paint job on a budget!? #27397
04/19/07 11:31 PM
04/19/07 11:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I tried this out on a fender today today. Im using tremclad fire red

Did OK for the first try

only problem was i was getting TONS of bubbles

I dont think i thinned the paint enough. How thin are you supposed to go? I thought i read 10-20% but i went all the way to 50-50 and the paint still seemed thick

Page 147 of 159 1 2 145 146 147 148 149 158 159